• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The heaviest drinking 10% of Australians consume over half of the alcohol in Australia

CyberPanda

Banned
Objective: This study examined the distribution of alcohol consumption in Australia, identifying the heaviest drinking 10% of the population and examining their sociodemographic characteristics and their alcohol consumption and purchasing practices.

Methods: Data came from the 2016 National Drug Strategy Household Survey and the 2013 International Alcohol Control Study. The heaviest drinking 10% of the population identified based on estimates of annual alcohol consumption. Logistic regression was then used to assess the factors that distinguished these heaviest drinkers from the rest of the drinking population.

Results: The heaviest drinking 10% of the population consumed 54.4% of all alcohol consumed. These heavy drinkers were more likely to be men and to live in regional and remote areas. They were more likely to drink cask wine and full‐strength beer and to purchase cheaper alcohol than other drinkers.

Conclusions: Australian alcohol consumption is heavily skewed. Alcohol consumption practices appear to differentiate the heaviest drinkers from others more clearly than sociodemographic factors.

Implications for public health: Public health interventions that reduce drinking among the heaviest 10% of drinkers in Australia have the potential to markedly reduce per‐capita consumption and reduce alcohol‐related harm. Interventions focused on cheap alcohol may be effective with these drinkers.

Mista

Banned
Australia’s population is around 26-27m if I remember correctly. So 10% of the heavy drinkers are consuming over the half means it’s either Australia isn’t well stocked or those motherfuckers are a bunch of cunts that does nothing but drink...

Conclusions: @matt404au alcohol consumption is heavily skewed. Alcohol consumption practices appear to differentiate the heaviest drinkers from others more clearly than sociodemographic factors.
Fixed that for them.

Last edited:
Australia’s population is around 26-27m if I remember correctly. So 10% of the heavy drinkers are consuming over the half means it’s either Australia isn’t well stocked or those motherfuckers are a bunch of cunts that does nothing but drink...

Fixed that for them.

This. Papa Papa is clearly amongst this demographic, especially evidenced by his posts. :messenger_smirking:

Mohonky

Australian, non-drinker. There is very much a culture of binge drinking here. It's largely considered a right of passage and bragging about how fucked up you get; which ultimately leads to people being complete dick heads at times. Not something I've ever really been into personally.

Remote means country side right? Or the desert?

Is it because they have nothing to do or are they so depressed they drink so much?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Believe it or not, I don't drink. This wisdom is all natural. You're looking for Scopa Scopa .
My wisdom is top notch and gets better with drink.

Logistic regression was then used to assess the factors that distinguished these heaviest drinkers from the rest of the drinking population.
We don’t need a study for this. I can tell you the factors. Balls and manliness.

Never trust a man who doesn’t drink.

Last edited:
Top Bottom