• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Heroin Business Is Booming in America (Bloomberg)

phanphare

Banned
To be fair I'm sure someone here has mentioned that they were sipping codeine..

and that shit is fucked up and should be called out as such, I've never seen that on here though. I've seen that shit brought up as far as quoting trap lyrics goes but I've never seen a thread about trying codeine followed by people supporting that behavior.

Also even if you think drug use is a problem saying all drugs are bad for you like this is some 80s PSA has been repeatedly shown to not work.

Meatfist

Or maybe the vast majority here are in favor of drug use. That's fine, I'm not going to change. Maybe one day the board will.

If you want to use moral absolutism as a means to feel superior to those of use who use recreational drugs then you do you boo, but at least be aware that patting yourself on the back for abstaining contributes nothing to the conversation at hand.

If solving the opioid epidemic was as simple as just telling people that drugs are bad and make you die that would be great, but nothing is that black and white

see5harp

and that shit is fucked up and should be called out as such, I've never seen that on here though. I've seen that shit brought up as far as quoting trap lyrics goes but I've never seen a thread about trying codeine followed by people supporting that behavior.

Yea that might be true. I don't think most people are aware that Codeine is a full on opiate either. Most people don't think of Vicodin as one either because most or all of us have gotten it at one point for wisdom teeth or some minor dental procedure.

Real talk: the fact that Heroin Usage isn't being talked about by Sessions in the same Breath as Marijuana is baffling. One is quietly ravaging communities across the Midwest and has actual, long term consequences vs Marijuana being mostly fine.

Hell, I'm 90% certain in terms of "will fuck up your life" Marijuana is below Tobacco, and that shit is legal.

No, I don't do either, but to equate Marijuana with Heroin is stupid.

You who? The people in charge are fine.

People in charge don't do heroin.

You == the group most effected by the heroin epidemic. America didn't care when it was the "others" with the heroin problems, throw them in jail, etc etc. Now that shit is ravaging middle America and we gotta do something about it, but sadly most of America doesn't care. Why? See the quote for more information.

Racism - Even when it hurts them brown/black folks, it ultimately ends up hurting the rest of America as well.

One day folks gonna learn.

LeleSocho

Banned
Define drug use. Is eating food drug use? because it causes a chemical reaction in your body, same as "drugs".

But cool, keep your rigid viewpoints based on falsities and ignorance.
You can't be so dense... you don't need drugs to survive and food doesn't heavily alter your state of mind.

Slayven

You == the group most effected by the heroin epidemic. America didn't care when it was the "others" with the heroin problems, throw them in jail, etc etc. Now that shit is ravaging middle America and we gotta do something about it, but sadly most of America doesn't care. Why? See the quote for more information.

Racism - Even when it hurts them brown/black folks, it ultimately ends up hurting the rest of America as well.

Hopefully, but SHARIA LAW!!!!

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
didn't a former mod ask money for his mom's treatment and then ended up using it on heroin? what a forum

Addiction is fucked up and it has nothing to do with "a forum."

My experience with heroin addicts has been that they come from sheltered, religious upbringings. Christianity, what a drug-enabling load of shit that is, huh?

theWB27

Real talk: the fact that Heroin Usage isn't being talked about by Sessions in the same Breath as Marijuana is baffling. One is quietly ravaging communities across the Midwest and has actual, long term consequences vs Marijuana being mostly fine.

Hell, I'm 90% certain in terms of "will fuck up your life" Marijuana is below Tobacco, and that shit is legal.

No, I don't do either, but to equate Marijuana with Heroin is stupid.

It's baffling when you use logic...but throw some racism in there and it'll be more clear.

On that we agree.

Your willingness to be ignorant of what drugs do what isn't a badge you should wear gleefully.

Breads

Banned
Funny, this board encourages drug use. Its part of the problem.
Crazy.

I've never seen anyone encourage opioids here.

That said I'm glad it's not a big issue here. I'm sure it's out here but it isn't prevalent enough for anyone in my life to be affected by it (that I am aware of), which is more than I can say for people I know in certain cities.

Mael

Where's that old african american proverb when you need it.....

jay

Ha thanks for the over-explanation. The pronoun 'you' looked to be tied to the quote, which was made not by the average American turning his blind eye to racism, but rather by someone in charge and so that's how I interpreted it.

Let's get back on topic.

Opioid addiction is awful. It persist largely because of attitudes that people like cj_iwakura have. "Drug use is bad, don't do drugs" is so removed from reality and it needs to be combated when seen.

We're in the middle of an Admin who wants to slash funds for combating opioid addiction while simultaneously increasing penalties for usage. This is largely because addiction is viewed in a less than humanistic way and cj_iwakura exemplifies this.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You can't be so dense... you don't need drugs to survive and food doesn't heavily alter your state of mind.

Except some people do need drugs to survive. Many people need Marijuana for a variety of reasons whether its pain relief for some or seizures for others.

NeonBlack

It's kinda disturbing seeing government officials now wanting to help. Jails been the "correct" way to handle this for decades.

Calion

My doctor thought it was appropriate to prescribe an opiod cough syrup for a milder cough a few months ago. Family practitioner and everything. It's crazy.

phanphare

Banned
My doctor thought it was appropriate to prescribe an opiod cough syrup for a milder cough a few months ago. Family practitioner and everything. It's crazy.

iirc most heroin addiction starts with a legal prescription

the state of big pharma in america is all kinds of fucked up. they want customers as much as any other business.

PixlNinja

Banned
Marijuana is the only way my mother, who has fibromyalgia, is able to live a normal life without being all fucked up on painkillers.

Too bad we live in NJ, USA. Land of the free.

Hindl

It's kinda disturbing seeing government officials now wanting to help. Jails been the "correct" way to handle this for decades.
White people are being affected by the heroin epidemic now
Marijuana is the only way my mother, who has fibromyalgia, is able to live a normal life without being all fucked up on painkillers.

Can't wait for that piece of shit Christie to get out

Beartruck

A politician can ignore it when it's Jim bob ODing in his trailer, but when Susie's husband in the gated community down the street dies it gets real.

It was always a problem, but now its their problem.

Zabka

NJ has medical marijuana. http://nj.gov/health/medicalmarijuana/pat_faqs.shtml

My friend just got his card.

ETA: He does not have any of the conditions listed as a prereq but does has some kind of muscle issue in his neck that requires regular botox treatments. Come to think of it, it may fall under skeletal muscle spasticity.

Dingens

I must still be asleep. For some reason I thought this thread was about female super heroes when I read the title.
What a disappointment

entremet

except people get their doctors to write them prescription for a pint and people just chug a whole bottle in one evening.

Ah, so I'm guessing these are ppl already addicted? I meant more getting addicted via cough syrup.

Could happen. I don't know, but from what I've read it's more painkillers that cause the addiction.

Hindl

There was a thread where everyone was shrugging off cocaine and saying it wasn't as bad as something heroin.
It isn't. Cocaine is certainly not good but compared to something like heroin it's nothing

To clarify: Cocaine is addictive. Cocaine can kill you. Cocaine is dangerous if abused. Cocaine is not in the same league as heroin

Top Bottom