• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hidden Subsidy That Helps Pay for Health Insurance (NYT)

Earning $132K instead of $135K a year is not "suffering". (I'm presuming that initial 1.5K in tax breaks gets preserved somehow)

If you don't think there's an issue with upper-class gatekeeping in blue American cities, you really haven't been paying attention.

Pretax benefits shouldn't even be a thing. We should have some type of single payer or public health insurance that's paid directly through our taxes and everyone is covered. Period. This should be a moot conversation.

That being said, if the premium subsidy for Obama care were better funded and a public option made available, we wouldn't be in this mess right now.

Regardless if the employer pretax benefit was removed or not, there would have been plenty of money for healthcare spending regardless. We just have bullshit spending priorities with things like defense spending, and too many ways for the Uber rich and multinational corporations to avoid paying the taxes which they owe.

noquarter

Sure, it's on the form, but I'm not sure why there would be an expectation that it would be taxed as income. It doesn't have to be reported as income.
Because it should be counted as income?

The company is "paying" you that money, you just never see it. If this hasn't been going on for 60 years, you would probably be saying the opposite, to an extent. Just because they have cut out the middle man, doesn't mean it shouldn't be counted as pay.

Syriel

Yeah I make 70k and my health plan costs my employer 12k, so I would get taxed for 82k right? Yeah no thanks

That removing employee sponsored health care from tax exclusion would, literally, effect the entire middle and upper middle class. It would result in increasing taxes on anyone who actually pays them.

This would be insanity.

Exactly. No sane politician would propose this because it is fucking insane.

I don't mind paying taxes but this is not right.

A great example of the Republican mindset right here.

"Let me have stuff tax free, but don't you DARE use my taxes so OTHER people can have stuff too."

No one making 200K is poor and living on the razor's edge. No one. Not in NY, not in SF. Nowhere in America is the cost of living so high that 200K requires government assistance to get by.

46869508.jpg

Going by this calculator
A person making $200k is paying $47k in taxes and saving ~10%.
A person making $30k is paying $3k in taxes and saving ~55%.

Whether you think the person making $200k should be getting any tax break is a somewhat tangential discussion (and you're right, they really don't need much if any at that point). I'm just trying to understand how this isn't more beneficial to lower income people. Is it because, as the article states, they're unaware of the subsidy?

It breaks down to what is being given, not percentages.

The person making $30k/year isn't even likely to have an employer paid health plan. And if they have one, it is not the same plan being given to the person making $200k/year.

Why should the government be focused on subsiding great medical plans for the Upper Middle Class, while ignoring the Lower Middle Class and the Poor?

If the person making $200k/year doesn't want to pay as much in taxes, they can always switch to a cheaper plan. Less total income, means less taxable income.

DUH, that's how employer benefits are supposed work. If they are going to tax me same for benefits, might as well just give it to me all in cash.

That's the way all benefits (except health care) work when given to a specific employee.

Get a company car? Taxable benefit.
Get a cell phone allowance? Taxable benefit.

Any fringe benefit given to you is treated as taxable income.

Source: https://dqydj.com/household-income-percentile-calculator/

Yes, removing it and redistributing the benefits more progressively would be a good thing!

Making it a flat per capita tax credit, for instance, alleviates many of the issues!

This man is on a roll. :)

Good thing we have a progressive tax system.

The problem is with billionares getting a number of unfair exemptions (for things only rich people would have) that allow them to avoid paying their proper tax burden

Again you're still taking someone else's money who's not a millionaire - go somewhere else to find it

More than half the income in the US is controlled by the Upper Middle Class. "Billionaires" are an easy target, but unless you're going to go to taking existing assets, vs taxing income, there is a limit to what can be taken.

160621001943-upper-middle-class-nation-income-780x439.jpg

160620173920-income-of-each-class-780x439.jpg

http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/21/news/economy/upper-middle-class/

There needs to be a sliding scale for tax breaks. It's pretty damn ridiculous that me and my wife earned 1000 bucks more than the cutoff for being able to claim a deduction for our student loans. You can't tell me the family that made 1000 leave dollars than us deserved the full deduction while we shouldn't get a damn thing.

We are absolutely starting to see why so many people vote strictly for tax cuts. It's especially infuriating when liberals trash you for even wanting to have the discussion.

Stop listening to conservative outlets and read the IRS tax forms. If you're going to have the discussion, at least ensure that your facts are correct before you start demonizing others.

In 2016 the maximum student loan deduction was $2500.

Someone who made $159,000/year would have been able to deduct $83.33 (assuming they paid the full $2500 in interest; lesser interest would mean a lower maximum deduction).

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch04.html

The 160k is joint. Considering I know plenty of lawyers who individually took out more than 100k in loans, let alone combined with a spouse, that income threshold has seemed low to me for sometime.

Syriel

The 160k is joint. Considering I know plenty of lawyers who individually took out more than 100k in loans, let alone combined with a spouse, that income threshold has seemed low to me for sometime.

The student loan tax break is meant for the lower middle and middle class, in order to help individuals move into the upper classes.

It's not meant to benefit the upper middle class as they've already "made it."

That's the way progressive benefits are supposed to work. Those who need them the most get more.

Going by this calculator
A person making $200k is paying $47k in taxes and saving ~10%.
A person making $30k is paying $3k in taxes and saving ~55%.

Whether you think the person making $200k should be getting any tax break is a somewhat tangential discussion (and you're right, they really don't need much if any at that point). I'm just trying to understand how this isn't more beneficial to lower income people. Is it because, as the article states, they're unaware of the subsidy?

Seriously, talk about a topic backfire.

emag

Earning $132K instead of $135K a year is not "suffering". (I'm presuming that initial 1.5K in tax breaks gets preserved somehow)

From each according to his ability? Or is it just spite?

Neither of the linked articles (nor your commentary) is directed to making things better, only fucking "privileged" people over. Why not institute a white tax and a male tax and a Christian/atheist tax and a hetro/cis tax as well?

Don't worry, all the additional revenue will go directly to the war machine so we can spread even more suffering internationally.

If you don't think there's an issue with upper-class gatekeeping in blue American cities, you really haven't been paying attention.

Raising taxes on the middle class does nothing to resolve that issue.

Cagey

Banned
The middle class shouldn't take a hit. If the law can be tailored to tax people making over 150k then I would be for it.
The lack of perspective here on what middle class is in America astounds me.

Your dentist is not the upper class.

Classes are a pyramid, not four equal percentile brackets with the actual median being the middle. The upper class occupies a very small and very nice spot atop the larger middle class and the significantly larger working class.

Top Bottom