• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

[The Hill] FBI: No evidence antifa involved in Capitol riot

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

No evidence has been found that members of the left-wing antifa movement were involved in this week’s storming of the Capitol building, the FBI said Friday, contradicting a narrative pushed by some Trump allies.

“We have no indication of that at this time,” Washington Field Office assistant director Steven D'Antuono said during a briefing when asked about any potential involvement of antifa.

The term is used to refer to the loosely connected network of far-left activists who say they are fighting against what they perceive as fascism.

Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Michael Sherwin separately said Thursday that investigators had not seen evidence of antifa presence.

Several figures on the right have attempted to pin fault for the mob that broke into the Capitol on Wednesday on antifa.

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) on Wednesday claimed that left-wing agitators had disguised themselves as Trump supporters, citing a Washington Times story with false claims that was later retracted.

Rep. Paul Gosar (R-Ariz.) also suggested on Twitter that the riot had “all the hallmarks of antifa provocation,” while Fox News host Laura Ingraham gave air to the baseless conspiracy on television.

Blaming antifa for apparent instances of right-wing violence, and claiming such members are creating “false flags,” has become a popular deflection for some conservative allies of the president.

Among those who have been identified from the Capitol riots are white nationalist and “QAnon Shaman” Jason Tankersley and Nick Ochs, founder of the Hawaii chapter for the far-right group Proud Boys, among others.

showernota

Jun 6, 2020
So shirtless guy in the furry hat has been upgraded to “white nationalist ‘qanon shaman’”

That escalated quickly.

Lionel Richie

Jun 22, 2014
Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

tichamac

Banned
Dec 6, 2020
I love when people just flat out admit to being purely contrarian with no capacity for independent critical thought.
Or maybe some of us don't blindly believe 3 letter agencies who have a history of subversive behavior. But you go on repeating what every major media outlet, company, or political leader on the planet tells you. You're totally part of the resistance.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
"The man in yellow has a communist hammer and sickle tattoo on his hand those are NOT Trump supporters!"
Someone posted that here and I literally did not understand why the fuck they zoomed in on that tattoo, like why would a dumb game tattoo mean anything? It doesn't look anything like a hammer and sickle.

Nov 7, 2020
Or maybe some of us don't blindly believe 3 letter agencies who have a history of subversive behavior. But you go on repeating what every major media outlet, company, or political leader on the planet tells you. You're totally part of the resistance.

Really, not even COP?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
May 22, 2018
And yet I bet if the FBI had said they were there you suddenly wouldn't have very many objections about believing them...

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
Or maybe the fact the msm has already interviewed an antifa member that was inside the capitol and the fact they've done this prior might mean something...
They've done that before, and there was a strange lack of antifa, it's not too much of a reach to assume so, but can't know for sure yet.
This

photo from Drypancakes

Last edited:

Kalamari

Jul 31, 2012
The Great Northwest

Definitely not ANTIFA, did they check for"extreme BLM activist."
I believe I heard or read somewhere that he stated he was there for documenting purposes, or some bullshit like that. If so, why did he enter the building? That doesn't make him any less guilty.

He was part of the plot to misrepresent and mischaracterize Trump supporters as violent criminals.

Last edited:

Platinumstorm

Oct 19, 2011
I was fully ready to accept that this wasn't an antifa-linked conspiracy. And then the FBI decided to weigh in and put its foot down. Now I was know antifa/fbi agent provocateurs were present.
Yup. My extended family is posting as many bullshit conspiracy theories as we have here on gaf. I don't engage with them as there is no way to convince them otherwise. Shittily photoshopped things and OAN broadcasts dominate my feed.

Tesseract

Banned
Dec 7, 2008
I believe I heard or read somewhere that he stated he was there for documenting purposes, or some bullshit like that. If so, why did he enter the building? That doesn't make him any less guilty.

He was part of the plot to misrepresent and mischaracterize Trump supporters as violent criminals.
prison for thee, freedom for me

it's a whirlwind of ideas, really what even is domestic terrorism ...

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Ritsumei2020

Report me for console warring
Jul 3, 2020
Of course they would say that! Its all a conspiracy to bring down Trump!

Stay strong comrades we will prevail aginst the forces of evil. This is all Obamas fault.

Yoboman

Sep 17, 2005
Or maybe the fact the msm has already interviewed an antifa member that was inside the capitol and the fact they've done this prior might mean something...

This

photo from Drypancakes
You actually think Antifa would refer to Trump supporters as Patriots? :goog_unsure:

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
But gaf told me it was antifa that incited the violence....

Keep up with the thread.

Remember last year when antifa was burning cities to the ground and murdering dozens including some police officers? The fbi said antifa was an idea and white supremacists, were the biggest terror threat in america.

Nov 7, 2020
I'd say that's a nice idea too (coz it isn't going to happen with the way things currently are).

If they haven't been arrested by now I'm sure a bunch will avoid jail time. Just randomly googled how many have been arrested in the BLM protests because I haven't seen a total on the news (obviously, because I'll agree that most off the news is left-leaning) and I found a total from June and it said over 10,000 across the country. Can't find any updated numbers, but the idea that the ANTIFA larpers and BLM violent protesters / rioters aren't being punished isn't really true.