• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turns out it only took one more week before we watched the entirety of The Hobbit with the kiddo. He sat through the whole thing, no sleeping or talking or nothin' (save some eye-covering parts). I couldn't believe it! Totally blown away. So awesome!

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
That looks slightly miss-matched.
Most artists greatly exaggerate Melkor's Dark Lord raiment. He was able to press his foot down onto Fingolfin's neck and Fingolfin was able stab Melkor's foot. A 10 metre giant he certainly was not.

Melkor was most probably the same size as Sauron's depiction in the film trilogy. In fact, Sauron's look was modelled after Melkor's description by Tolkien and illustrations by John Howe.

Melkor-and-Ungoliant.jpg

john+howe+fingolfin+vs+morgoth.jpg

Aguirre

just watched the hobbit last night on blu ray. absolutely amazing, i loved every single second of it. im rewatching it tonight because there's so much to take in

10/10!! and the gollum part sent shivers down my spine. i kinda wished there was a young aragorn cameo in rivendell. he'd be about 10 years old when bilbo, gandalf and the dwarven company passed through rivendell.

:( also, i was expecting a gimli cameo too, dunno why though.

I wouldn't expect Gimli. John Rhys Davies visited the set and hung out with the cast, but he absolutely refused a cameo. He hated the make up so much in LotR since he was allergic to it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
And yet John Howe didn't even pay enough attention to detail to know that Fingolfin, being a Noldor elf, would have raven hair
He probably likened him to Finarfin, his brother, who was blonde due to his mother been of the Vanyar.

I doubt John Howe's ever read the History of Middle-earth series, if had, he would have known that Fingolfin is described as tall and dark like his father. - History of Middle-earth, Volume 12, The Shibboleth of Fëanor.

Aguirre

so given an unexpected journey's storied development, how much of del toro's original vision remains? like is it a 50% jackson, 50% del toro movie? part 2 will be 100% jackson, so im wondering how different it will be from unexpected journeys...

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
so given an unexpected journey's storied development, how much of del toro's original vision remains? like is it a 50% jackson, 50% del toro movie? part 2 will be 100% jackson, so im wondering how different it will be from unexpected journeys...
According to Peter, most of Guillermo's stuff was scrapped with very few of his concepts surviving the purge.

Vashetti

Banned

All the films were shot at once. They don't film them separately year-by-year.

Aguirre

Edmond Dantès;53976522 said:
Most of the trilogy yes, but much is yet to be filmed, including The Battle of the Five Armies. Filming restarts next month for that and other key sequences for There and Back Again.

listening to lotr:trilogy developer commentary with jackson, walsh and boyens, i was surprised by how many somewhat key scenes were created during pick-ups after principal photography had finished.

also i noticed fans loved the hobbit:an unexpected journey than the critics. i think this movie will age well and in time critics will agree that its amazing.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
listening to lotr:trilogy developer commentary with jackson, walsh and boyens, i was surprised by how many somewhat key scenes were created during pick-ups after principal photography had finished.

also i noticed fans loved the hobbit:an unexpected journey than the critics. i think this movie will age well and in time critics will agree that its amazing.
The same has occurred with The Hobbit. Azog as he is in An Unexpected Journey was created just four weeks before the premiere.

The final script that the Tolkien scholar (Janet Brennan Croft ) aided in was much different to what Peter and co eventually went with.

It came out at a perfect time too. AFAIK the blu-ray releases have been a lil slow lately when it comes to releases that target the audience for adventure/comicbook blockbuster/whatever market.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;54014763 said:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey scores record sales

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-scores-record-sales-2165/

I think it's safe to say that WB have already made a tidy profit on The Hobbit trilogy, with two films, two theatrical home releases, three extended cuts, boxsets and an Ultimate edition all in the pipeline.

"According to the latest Official Charts Company sales data, The Lord Of The Rings prequel is now the second biggest selling video title of 2013 so far, overtaking Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2."

tumblr_inline_mi28npdbeusq.gif

Anyway, good to hear :) The blu-ray quality was fantastic.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;54017850 said:
A $3 Billion franchise in the making. WB will be keen to keep the lucrative licence to Middle-earth films.

Especially now that their Batman money is in temporary limbo and Man of Steel is still an uncertain prospect at the moment.

A $3 Billion franchise in the making. WB will be keen to keep the lucrative licence to Middle-earth films.

You got it all wrong man. Didn't you hear Hobbit was bomba? Poor WB guys will be crying themselves to sleep.

Man of Steel

My prediction: Man of Steel will be a huge dissapointment for them. IF they expect anything like Batman money that is. I don't know what they are expecting to be clear! :)

I feel like the next film could do a bit better if it is marketed well. I'm very interested how they approach this with smaug.

My prediction: Man of Steel will be a huge dissapointment for them. IF they expect anything like Batman money that is. I don't know what they are expecting to be clear! :)

I'm not necessarily expecting that but i see superman getting some pretty big money.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The question is, how will WB use the licence after The Hobbit trilogy is done and dusted?

Source material is running thin, like butter scraped over too much bread.

Sushigod7

Animated versions :)

Edmond Dantès;54022260 said:
I'd be very intrigued in something like that. As beautiful as the LOTR trilogy and AUJ are, seeing Middle-earth realised via animation could really allow the creators to create a unique vision of Tolkien's world.

Same here a good hand drawn animated series not cartoony looking CG like the newer Star Wars Clone Wars could be great.

Animated trilogy could be cool. First movie would be Hobbit in its entirety, film two would be kinda like the Rankin Bass LOTR where it portrays around half of the whole LOTR and third movie would cover the latter half.

I don't know if I wanted a more lighthearted kid friendly version (not too much so of course) or a darker one similar to the movies we have now.

Animated trilogy could be cool. First movie would be Hobbit in its entirety, film two would be kinda like the Rankin Bass LOTR where it portrays around half of the whole LOTR and third movie would cover the latter half.

I don't know if I wanted a more lighthearted kid friendly version (not too much so of course) or a darker one similar to the movies we have now.

Both! But, it could really go either way and be awesome. So... both <3

Hobbit would be teletubbies territory and lotr would be something ridicilously gory and dark. Teaching them kids to toughen up a little, it's brilliant!

Oh gosh, I didn't mean THAT silly, lol! I meant more that they could do a Lighthearted Adaptation of Hobbit + LotR, and then do a Serious Adaptation much later. So rather than making the different parts serious or silly, it would just start all over again from the beginning. I would dig seeing totally different styles across the board for each. Total pipe-dream from start to finish, but yeah.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;54040869 said:
A dream scenario would be if the animators utilized and adapted Tolkien's art style for an animated Hobbit/LOTR film series.

tolkien.jpg

You stop having good ideas this instant.

I was kinda bored today, so I did a quick comparison between the set pieces of Fellowship (theatrical) and An Unexpected Journey.

The size of each box equals the lenght, I've been as accurate as I could :p

aMn.png

Oh man, an animated feature in Tolkien's style would be paramount, no doubt. I'd have trouble not getting lost in the gorgeous background art!

I was kinda bored today, so I did a quick comparison between the set pieces of Fellowship (theatrical) and An Unexpected Journey.

The size of each box equals the lenght, I've been as accurate as I could :p

aMn.png

Neato! The Misty Mountains parts kinda line up... though I wonder where it would be in The Hobbit if they'd stuck with two films.

ascii42

Edmond Dantès;54022260 said:
I'd be very intrigued in something like that. As beautiful as the LOTR trilogy and AUJ are, seeing Middle-earth realised via animation could really allow the creators to create a unique vision of Tolkien's world.

Indeed. I'd be interested in seeing if someone could mentally dissociate themselves from the Peter Jackson movies (as well as the previous animated movies), to not wind up being strongly influenced by them. It'd be tough. In my mind now, Peter Jackson's Middle Earth is Middle Earth.

DodgerSan

im desperate for hobbit audio commentary. Oh when oh when!! Will the extended editions be as expansive as lotr?

Ditto. It's the only reason I haven't bought the blu-ray yet, knowing this is coming. My days of impatient double-dipping are long past :)

I do wonder if they'll do anything like the LOTR:EE's though. Those boxes are some of my most prized possessions, they really set the standard for how to present movie documentaries.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does anyone happen to know the name of the song that's playing for the first 50 seconds of this video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEkE2_X4CJ4 I've been trying to find it ever since I first heard it, but it doesn't seem to be on the Official Soundtrack, at least not the Deluxe Edition.
It's probably just extra music composed by Howard that was omitted from the film and used in the Vlogs.

Or music composed for the extended cut, most likely for Old Took's party scene featuring Bilbo as a child and Belladonna Took.

Aguirre

Ditto. It's the only reason I haven't bought the blu-ray yet, knowing this is coming. My days of impatient double-dipping are long past :)

I do wonder if they'll do anything like the LOTR:EE's though. Those boxes are some of my most prized possessions, they really set the standard for how to present movie documentaries.

i'm going to have to re-buy my lotr:EE's due to them becoming scratched because of so much use. The boxes for them have become really rough, like a well read old book!

Indeed. I'd be interested in seeing if someone could mentally dissociate themselves from the Peter Jackson movies (as well as the previous animated movies), to not wind up being strongly influenced by them. It'd be tough. In my mind now, Peter Jackson's Middle Earth is Middle Earth.

There are parts that are amazing. All the key locations look right. Shire is amazing, as is Rivendell and the Misty Mountains and Moria. Erebor and Dale both looked great from what we saw of them.

Rohan was all wrong though. Too rocky. Minas Tirith looked fantastic, but the Pelennor Fields were horrible. It's described as lush green and full of little farms. Not a barren field. And where is the Rammas Echor. You know, the actual thing that gave the Pelennor fields its name?

Mordor looked great when you only got glimpses of it from the outside. But it didn't seem too bad once Frodo and Sam actually got there. It should have been darker and less accommodating. They should have included scenes where they were drinking water that tasted like oil.

Similarly, Dol Guldur seemed off to me. I never imagined it being so..ruiny. The book seemed to imply it was a sort of second headquarters for Sauron. A strong fortress that required the combined strength of the greatest people alive in order to penetrate. Not the sort of place a lone wizard could walk willy-nilly into without being accosted by Orcs or trolls or cruel men. Mirkwood also seemed too bright, but I guess that's because they decided to portray it as still Greenwood. Hopefully by time the Dwarves get there, it will be the black German-fairy tale forest full of mutant animals and enchanted streams I imagined it to be.

Finally, the area around Rivendell is all screwed up for me now because of that dumb Warg chase scene. It's pretty clearly depicted as some pretty dense forest. Apparently the Trollshaws are tiny and most of the land now is empty field that looks suspiciously like Rohan.

Platy

The other hobbit artbook leaked so fast .... book depository takes so much time ... I would not complain about reading it while I wait xD

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;54048378 said:
Would I be wrong to assume that working as an animator on an animated Tolkien film is your dream job?

For the Tolkien fan in me, absolutely, however I actually can't stand animating :lol I love animation in general, but not the process so much. I took some classes on 3D modeling and animating in college but it really wasn't my thing. My degree is in Illustration with an emphasis in Biomedical Art, and right now my interest is in medical education for kids (my senior thesis project was a fantasy comic book that educates kids about Type 1 diabetes).

That said, if WB/New Line called me up today and told me they wanted to hire me as a concept artist for an animated Tolkien movie you bet I'd be there ;)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There are parts that are amazing. All the key locations look right. Shire is amazing, as is Rivendell and the Misty Mountains and Moria. Erebor and Dale both looked great from what we saw of them.

Rohan was all wrong though. Too rocky. Minas Tirith looked fantastic, but the Pelennor Fields were horrible. It's described as lush green and full of little farms. Not a barren field. And where is the Rammas Echor. You know, the actual thing that gave the Pelennor fields its name?

Mordor looked great when you only got glimpses of it from the outside. But it didn't seem too bad once Frodo and Sam actually got there. It should have been darker and less accommodating. They should have included scenes where they were drinking water that tasted like oil.

Similarly, Dol Guldur seemed off to me. I never imagined it being so..ruiny. The book seemed to imply it was a sort of second headquarters for Sauron. A strong fortress that required the combined strength of the greatest people alive in order to penetrate. Not the sort of place a lone wizard could walk willy-nilly into without being accosted by Orcs or trolls or cruel men. Mirkwood also seemed too bright, but I guess that's because they decided to portray it as still Greenwood. Hopefully by time the Dwarves get there, it will be the black German-fairy tale forest full of mutant animals and enchanted streams I imagined it to be.

Finally, the area around Rivendell is all screwed up for me now because of that dumb Warg chase scene. It's pretty clearly depicted as some pretty dense forest. Apparently the Trollshaws are tiny and most of the land now is empty field that looks suspiciously like Rohan.

Minas Tirith and the surrounding fields should have looked like this ideally.

But I can see why they went with a more ruined landscape devoid of any substantial greenery, to reflect the the decline of a once great kingdom and the influence of Sauron on the beauty that Yavanna crafted before the ages of Arda.

Rivendell's geographical variance with what's established in the Legendarium seems to be based on the following illustration, with the trek through the crevice shortened a great deal due to obvious time constraints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom