• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowderedToast

i think all of my problems with AUJ can be attributed to the traits of modern peter jackson. if he had made it 15 years ago i reckon it would've been a superior film

oh well. desolation should still be a treat.

Dmax3901

I just wish people would stop drawing parallels between AUJ and Episode I altogether. I get it, not everyone liked it, or had to. But goddamn, it wasn't that awful. Why try and bring other people down? It's getting hard to ignore when people keep bringing it up :(

Yeah it really annoys me too. Sure, it's easy to make the connection between the two oddball characters, and the two franchises having two separate trilogies, but it's hyperbole to suggest that AUJ is the 'Episode 1' of the LotR's filmography.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Edmond Dantès;54886506 said:
I wonder how they're going to deal with Radgast's omission in the Lord of the Rings? Now that he's so prominent in The Hobbit trilogy thus far.

poochie-have-to-go-now-my-planet-needs-me.jpg

Of course the hardcore tolkienites (sp?) who hate the films will claim this is too far from the book, but I have faith in Peter to pull it off.

On a personal note I enjoyed Radgast, I can fully see why people dont enjoy him and there is one line I cant bare to hear (the one about his Rabbits outrunning Wargs), not because of its veracity just because of how silly it sounds. As far as the comparison to Jar Jar I sincerely think people need to re-watch the phantom menace, there is a very good reason Jar Jar is considered a complete and total failure, Radagast is not even in the film enough to impact it in such a way. I look forward to seeing him futher in the next two films.

I hate jar jar but i felt like his impact wasn't that big in the phantom menace. That film had FAR bigger problems than him in it.

For me personally i loved the hobbit and actually saw it more times in the cinema than any other movie ever released (for various reasons). It may not be my favorite LOTR movie but it definitely is in the same tier as them. Wish it would hurry up and release on blu-ray here already :/.

Aguirre

I wonder how they're going to deal with Radgast's omission in the Lord of the Rings? Now that he's so prominent in The Hobbit trilogy thus far.

maybe he'll be treated like tom bombadil:he was omitted due to not really serving any apparent purpose and didnt advance the plot, in fact it slowed down the pacing in the books if i recall. and im sure because the movies were at over 3hours a piece, there was no room for him.

also in the commentary, fran, peter and philipa touched on how they were finding it hard to keep introducing new characters who only showed up for one scene then to simply disappear, so they kept unnecessary characters out.

jaxword

At the end of Hobbit 3, Gandalf sends him off to find the two Blue Wizards, because "a larger threat on the horizon/a storm is coming/dark times are ahead." *Meaningful glance to the horizon.* "This may take you some time to find them, though..." *looks at camera*

At the end of Hobbit 3, Gandalf sends him off to find the two Blue Wizards, because "a larger threat on the horizon/a storm is coming/dark times are ahead." *Meaningful glance to the horizon.* "This may take you some time to find them, though..." *looks at camera*

Just have Gandalf say goodbye to Radagast, and walk away. As he does, play the TARDIS whirling sound. Gandalf turns around, but there is no sign of Radagast.

Vashetti

Banned

Did you not notice that in AUJ, Radagast is carrying what would become famous as LOTRs Gandalf's staff?

In AUJ, Gandalf has a different staff.

64433_411772015585707_2063009622_n.jpg

HC: And you get to carry a staff…

SM: If you know your “Lord of the Rings,” you might recognize it. You’ll have to wait and see what happens in the next three years. You’ll find out about that staff. It’s quite important eventually. It’s a mystery. I don’t want to give it all away.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/hobbit-sylvester-mccoys-twin-loves-radagast-doctor-who/#/0

Seems like they'll kill off Radagast to explain his LOTR absence and have him give Gandalf his staff as a memento.

JB1981

watching AUJ again and man, that radagast scene is the worst. just because gandalf mentioned him in a conversation doesn't give jackson the right to go and give him a 10 minute scene -__-

when the camera starts moving away i feel like shouting STAAHP

at that point it must be around the third detour from the main story, and another flashback comes straight after that about thorin. horrible pacing

I still can't believe that Jackson didn't get things moving right when he shows the first Orcs/Wargs. The pacing in the movie is absolutely terrible. man, even the Council meeting at Rivendell is almost comically bad. The dialog, the overracting (Is this a MORGUL BLADE???!!).

Bilbo: Radagast! You look like you have something to say! Do you?
Radagast: Yes, I certainly do.

(voice over) I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Tom Bombadil pulls up on a motorcycle, Radagast hops on and they drive into the sunset.

Bilbo: Radagast! You look like you have something to say! Do you?
Radagast: Yes, I certainly do.

(voice over) I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Tom Bombadil pulls up on a motorcycle, Radagast hops on and they drive into the sunset.

Note: Radagast died on the way back to his home planet.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
The Necromancer should be the one to dispose of Radagast if his raiment is destroyed. Seems fitting.

In reality, Aiwendil wouldn't stand a chance against Mairon.

Aguirre

rewatched lotr:the fellowship last night. the scene where boromir is corrupted by the one ring, and tries to reason with frodo that the ring can and should be used to save his people of gondor, is my favorite scene.

it still gives me goosebumps, especially when he starts to get upset after realizing his actions...

but of course his character is redeemed by his valiant saving of pippin and merry.

Vashetti

Banned
rewatched lotr:the fellowship last night. the scene where boromir is corrupted by the one ring, and tries to reason with frodo that the ring can and should be used to save his people of gondor, is my favorite scene.

it still gives me goosebumps, especially when he starts to get upset after realizing his actions...

but of course his character is redeemed by his valiant saving of pippin and merry.

I loved all of his extra scenes in the Extended edition.

I've spoken to too many people who've only seen the Theatrical and dislike Boromir because he was "evil" and tried to take the ring.

Aguirre

I loved all of his extra scenes in the Extended edition.

I've spoken to too many people who've only seen the Theatrical and dislike Boromir because he was "evil" and tried to take the ring.
exactly! he was perpetually corrupted by the ring since the council of elrond.

@edmond:
judging by the end of the hobbit pt1, i'd say weta have done well. its all up to benedict cumberbatch....

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
A few previous attempts at dragons in live action films:

Reign of Fire

kerlow05_reignOfFire.jpg

DragonHeart

174_draco.jpg

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

img01.jpg

Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire

hp.jpg

Eragon

eragon_13_large.jpg

D-War

dragon-wars-giant-dragon.jpg

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Results from Phase 1 of The Hobbit Audience Project by ARU
Key Statistics

1000 respondents from 59 different countries completed the survey.

58.9% were female; 58.5% were aged 35 years or younger.

Americans made up the largest national group (34%), followed by New Zealanders (21%), British (10%), Canadians (5.1%), Australians (4.5%), Germans (3.8%), Dutch (2%), and all other nationalities at 20.4%.

83.3% of our sample said it was ‘extremely’ or ‘very’ important to see the film.

49.8% of respondents said they planned to see the film in the higher frame rate; 11% said they would not, while 33% said they didn’t know or didn’t care either way; 6.2% did not answer.

56.5% planned to see the film in 3D; 19.9% did not; 19.8% didn’t know or didn’t care; 3.8% did not answer.

More than half stated that the main thing motivating them to see The Hobbit was their affection for the novel or J.R.R. Tolkien’s work (56.6%); this was followed by 25.6% who said they were primarily fans of the Lord of the Rings films. 7.2% were fans of one of the stars in the film, and 3.5% said they were primarily Peter Jackson fans. Surprisingly, very few said their primary motivation stemmed from media coverage (0.3%) or the film trailers (1.1%). 1.4% of our sample said they were not planning to see the film.

Many of our respondents were highly engaged in anticipatory activities in the lead up to the film release. 93.7% had seen at least one Hobbit film trailer; 86.3% had discussed the film with family or friends; 82% followed news coverage of the film; 80% watched a Hobbit production video online, and 67.3% visited the official Hobbit website.

The vast majority were familiar with the book from which the film was adapted, having read it 8 times on average. 91.9% had read The Hobbit novel at least once; 5.3% of respondents said they had read it more than 30 times, with 1.2% claiming to have read it over 100 times.
Anticipatory Audience Clusters:

Factor analysis of responses to a series of statements about the film revealed clear divisions amongst our participants in the lead up to the film’s international release:
1) Lord of the Rings Enthusiasts

The largest group of 348 respondents comprised enthusiastic and eager Lord of the Rings fans who expressed faith in Peter Jackson’s genius as a gifted filmmaker, and affirmed his unique ability to do justice to the complex story world of The Hobbit. This group expressed a high level of anticipation for this film, which they’d been waiting many years for, and eagerly looked forward to returning to the wonderful world of Middle Earth. They believed that Peter Jackson's fundamental motivation in making another trilogy was creative rather than financial, and that the Tolkien corpus was so extensive that there was easily enough material to justify extending The Hobbit. This group had considerable Tolkien literacy (having read The Hobbit on average 8 times) and special affinity for Jackson's film adaptations of Tolkien's work, having seen the LoTR films on average 19 times. 92.5% of these respondents said it was "extremely" or "very important" for them to see The Hobbit.

2) Angry anti-fans

24 respondents expressed the opposite viewpoint and were highly critical of what they saw as the destructive aesthetic (and political) roles played by Peter Jackson in bringing the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit to the big screen. This group was especially critical of the decision to make a trilogy, which they considered purely commercially driven, and they were not impressed by what they had seen and heard about the film so far in terms of additions and changes that diverged from Tolkien’s original vision. They believed technological innovations were likely to compromise the cinematic quality of The Hobbit, and expressed a lack of faith in Jackson’s creative efforts, while also rejecting the idea that no other director could do justice to The Hobbit. They lamented the damage done to the Tolkien corpus by what they saw as an immature and artistically tone-deaf director catering to the lowest common denominator. Many among this group – especially New Zealanders - criticized Jackson’s actions during The Hobbit employment dispute. Only 4% of these respondents considered it "extremely" or "very important" to see the film and 40% were not planning to see the film at all – despite many having a high degree of familiarity with both the book and the LoTR film trilogy. These respondents were on average 12 years older (46 years) than our enthusiastic fans (34 years), and half of them were New Zealanders.

3) Cautious Tolkien fans

Most of the 139 respondents affiliated with this viewpoint defined themselves as Tolkien fans, and their interest in the film was primarily motivated by their deep affection for The Hobbit as one of their favorite books (read 12 times on average). These respondents were deeply concerned about the film’s fidelity to the original storyworld. They wanted the film to be a perfect adaptation of a book they cared deeply about, but also feared they might end up disappointed. They also harbored nostalgic memories of reading The Hobbit at a younger age, so their view of "the spirit of the book" was caught up with their memories of childhood. For this group, the film promised to be a major movie event and they especially looked forward to seeing the film with family or friends. And while this group had seen the LoTR films on average 11 times and expressed general approval for Jackson's version of the Lord of the Rings, they did not self-identify as LoTR film fans. They were very eager to return to Middle Earth, and 85% of them considered it "extremely" or "very important" to see The Hobbit. 290 respondents fell somewhere between being cautiously optimistic Tolkien fans, and eager and enthusiastic LOTR fans.

4) Celebrity Lovers

A small group of 15 individuals constitutes our fifth group, and these were closely associated with a larger group of 56 respondents who were both Celebrity lovers and Lord of the Rings enthusiasts. All 15 of the true celebrity lovers were female, along with 93% of those who were simultaneously enthusiasts. Their average age was 41 years. This group does not primarily care about Tolkien's novel, The Hobbit, although members had read it on average four times. Their exposure to the LoTR film trilogy was lower, having seen it on average, twice. They strongly disagreed that The Hobbit was one of their favorite books. Rather, their primary interest in The Hobbit related to their affection for one of the film’s stars. True celebrity lovers were very happy that one of their favourite actors featured in the film (most often, Richard Armitage), and strongly affirmed the casting decisions. The New Zealand landscapes and the excitement of being part of a major cinematic event were also key attractions for this group.

5) Nervous investors

A group of 34 respondents were nervous investors, while another 16 were also LOTRs enthusiasts. Notably, 82% of true investors and 73% of those who were investor- enthusiasts were New Zealanders. This group had less exposure to The Hobbit (having read it twice on average) and the LOTRs trilogy (viewed an average of three times). Only 12% of nervous investors believed it was "extremely" or "very important" to see The Hobbit film, in contrast to 81% of investor-enthusiasts. Investors were very concerned about the evolving reputation of the film and how this might influence its commercial success. They agreed strongly that the film would have positive economic benefits locally, and could thus understand the rationale for government support. But they remained concerned about the Hobbit labour issue, and fully agreed that the conversion of The Hobbit into a trilogy was primarily aimed at increasing box office takings. This group was sceptical about the hype and speculation surrounding the film, and while they strongly disagreed that Peter Jackson was a sloppy director, they moderately disagreed that only Peter Jackson could properly bring The Hobbit to the screen. Investor-enthusiasts were mainly Tolkien or LoTR film fans and were more certain of the economic benefits that would flow from The Hobbit, while feeling very proud of New Zealand’s involvement in this major film production.
http://www.waikato.ac.nz/fass/resea...bbit-audience-project/summary-of-key-findings

Cautious Tolkien fan here.

Vashetti

Banned
Does anyone know if we've seen all of Saruman already in AUJ, or whether he will be in the other films too?

I know Christoper Lee filmed everything in front of a green screen, so theoretically they could slot him into any scene.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Does anyone know if we've seen all of Saruman already in AUJ, or whether he will be in the other films too?

I know Christoper Lee filmed everything in front of a green screen, so theoretically they could slot him into any scene.
He'll have a further part to play in The Necromancer subplot, possibly taking part in the conflict at Dol Guldur. There will most probably be an allusion to his ulterior motives and his joining with Sauron.

Dmax3901

Edmond Dantès;55030740 said:
He'll have a further part to play in The Necromancer subplot, possibly taking part in the conflict at Dol Guldur. There will most probably be an allusion to his ulterior motives and his joining with Sauron.

I know I was railing against those who compare the Hobbit movies to the second Star Wars trilogy, but I just had a horrific image of CGI Saruman fighting at Dol Guldur, like CGI Yoda in The Clone Wars...

I know I was railing against those who compare the Hobbit movies to the second Star Wars trilogy, but I just had a horrific image of CGI Saruman fighting at Dol Guldur, like CGI Yoda in The Clone Wars...

If they really want to have Saruman fighting I think they will just have him use a few nasty spells from a distance without Lee actually doing much else than stand or even sit.

Aguirre

the saruman vs gandalf fight in fellowship was very good... :)

also, i see see frodo is back in desolation of smaug (according to imdb)... another intro with bilbo and frodo?

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
If they really want to have Saruman fighting I think they will just have him use a few nasty spells from a distance without Lee actually doing much else than stand or even sit.
I'm thinking they'll utilise the devices of Saruman, what those devices are though; Tolkien left a mystery.

What arms would a wizard have at his disposal? We've already seen him dabble with gunpowder in The Two Towers.

Or sorcery possibly, but would his skills be a match for the master of sorcery? I doubt it.

Edmond Dantès;55059316 said:
I'm thinking they'll utilise the devices of Saruman, what those devices are though; Tolkien left a mystery.

What arms would a wizard have at his disposal? We've already seen him dabble with gunpowder in The Two Towers.

Or sorcery possibly, but would his skills be a match for the master of sorcery? I doubt it.

Some sort of primitive flamethrowers? Yeeees.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Maybe Saruman can do some chanting from afar like in FOTR when he caused the avalanche to almost kill the Fellowship on Caradhras.
Maybe they could have a Songs of Power duel mirroring the duel that took place between Thû the Necromancer and Finrod Felagund in the Lay of Leithian.

He chanted a song of wizardry,
Of piercing, opening, of treachery,
Revealing, uncovering, betraying.
Then sudden Felagund there swaying,
Sang in answer a song of staying,
Resisting, battling against power,
Of secrets kept, strength like a tower,
And trust unbroken, freedom, escape;
Of changing and of shifting shape,
Of snares eluded, broken traps,
The prison opening, the chain that snaps.

Backwards and forwards swayed their song.
Reeling and foundering, as ever more strong
The chanting swelled, Felagund fought,
And all the magic and might he brought
Of Elvenesse into his words.
Softly in the gloom they heard the birds
Singing afar in Nargothrond,
The sighting of the Sea beyond,
Beyond the western world, on sand,
On sand of pearls in Elvenland.

Then the gloom gathered; darkness growing
In Valinor, the red blood flowing
Beside the Sea, where the Noldor slew
The Foamriders, and stealing drew
Their white ships with their white sails
From lamplit havens. The wind wails,
The wolf howls. The ravens flee.
The ice mutters in the mouths of the Sea.
The captives sad in Angband mourn.
Thunder rumbles, the fires burn—
And Finrod fell before the throne.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
From the new WETA artbook.

"One thing we haven't explicitly defined in these films is, who does the hair? Is it Ori? Is Ori the hairdresser? Maybe Dori's the hairdresser? We haven't yet seen the guys all sitting around a campfire pimping themselves up. That might be one scene I'd love to have seen -- the Dwarves all doing their hair and plaiting their beards. That might have been interesting to see, but the movies are so full there was never really a space to put it in there."

My bets on Thorin. There's more to him that meets the eye.

Edmond Dantès;55312372 said:
From the new WETA artbook.

"One thing we haven't explicitly defined in these films is, who does the hair? Is it Ori? Is Ori the hairdresser? Maybe Dori's the hairdresser? We haven't yet seen the guys all sitting around a campfire pimping themselves up. That might be one scene I'd love to have seen -- the Dwarves all doing their hair and plaiting their beards. That might have been interesting to see, but the movies are so full there was never really a space to put it in there."

My bets on Thorin. There's more to him that meets the eye.

Yes!! A scene like that would've been so fun, though obviously unnecessary. It cracks me up to see that everyone seems to have the same idea of how they all sit around a campfire and do their hair together! What an image, lolol

Thorin, eh? I don't doubt he's an amazing hairdresser, since he's, y'know, the King Under The Mountain-to-be, but I also like the book's choice of Dori. It can't be Ori, he's got his hands full with knitting!... or I mean, it LOOKS like he does, anyway. Honestly, they're probably all really good at it, Thorin seems like he would be pretty critical of how everyone looks when they meet people/retake the Mountain. Kind of explains some of the grumpiness :p

Edmond Dantès;55314920 said:
Newly found correspondence between Sauron and the Nine uncovered

http://users.bestweb.net/~jfgm/Mushrooms Website/08A Discussion - Secret emails.htm

I can see this is obviously from the 3rd age of the internet...

Sauron@Mordor.net
2,000 farthings for 'Dwarf massage'?

Worth it.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
There's an element of truth there. Smaug is the big attraction of these films. Nothing in the Lord of the Rings really compares. The battles were much anticipated, people were excited about Shelob's realisation in live action, the Balrog too, although ultimately, Durin's Bane was lacking in any kind of charisma and was just another movie monster in the end.

Smaug is the standout character, the star attraction in The Hobbit and one of the finest in all the Legendarium. Certainly one of the most iconic dragons in literature and mythos. Nothing like him has been seen in a live action, Middle-earth film and nothing like him will ever be seen again lest The Silmarillion be adapted.

He is the catalyst of the tale and he's about to be unleashed to an expectant crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom