• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit - Official Thread of Officially In Production

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edmond Dantès;56305164 said:
The
Battle of the Five Armies
will be the biggest Middle-earth
battle
we've seen thus far. So that'll certainly be entertaining, plus the climax of the The Necromancer subplot as well as the big finale that'll
induce tears in many

Peter and co will want to go out with a bang with There and Back Again as it's very likely to be the final Middle-earth film they produce.

As many things there are in the 3rd movie
that are going to crush my soul
, this might be the biggest. I'm interested in how they'll do it... I'm almost finished re-reading the book (reading super-slow), and I begrudgingly agree there has been a lot of padding so far, though I still love the hell out of it. I hope what they add in film 3 is at least meaningful, as opposed to
just a ton of action & fighting
. When the LotR trilogy concluded, there was a faint glimmer of promise on the horizon for a few more films. This time, it really is The End.

As many things there are in the 3rd movie
that are going to crush my soul
, this might be the biggest. I'm interested in how they'll do it... I'm almost finished re-reading the book (reading super-slow), and I begrudgingly agree there has been a lot of padding so far, though I still love the hell out of it. I hope what they add in film 3 is at least meaningful, as opposed to
just a ton of action & fighting
. When the LotR trilogy concluded, there was a faint glimmer of promise on the horizon for a few more films. This time, it really is The End.

End? No the journey doesn't end here. End of trilogy is just another path, one that we all must take.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I'm eager of see what kind of character Tauriel is. I expect that she's a female Legolas.

A warrior Elf maiden if you will, with the stubbornness and tenacity of Luthien thrown in.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
Speaking of the First Age and Luthien. Ted Nasmith does what Alan Lee and John Howe have both failed to do as of yet.

TN-Luthien.jpg

The beauty of Beleriand.

Loxley

You could task Ted Nasmith with illustrating a nude portrait of Gimli and he'd somehow find a way to make it look stunning.

did anyone feel that bilbos presence was pushed to the background from when he agrees to join the adventure? i didnt really notice it until
bilbos encounter with gollum
. i felt thorin and gandalf had more screen time, but i doubt thats the case.

So did I but I thought it was a smart choice. Bilbo is the outside view point for the audience. He's the observer that is chronicling these fantastic events more then he is a participant.

Of course this may change in the next few movies.

So did I but I thought it was a smart choice. Bilbo is the outside view point for the audience. He's the observer that is chronicling these fantastic events more then he is a participant.

Of course this may change in the next few movies.

It helps with developing the dwarves' individual personalities as well. Assuming we know Bilbo a lot better than any of them from having watched the LotR series, that is. They're such a group entity in the book that it's nice to know they're not just "the dwarves" and actually separate characters. There is definitely plenty of time to flesh out everyone in Desolation and There & Back Again :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
It's interesting that Howard Shore isn't responsible for the Misty Mountains theme. What is now the most memorable Middle-earth earth theme was created by Plan 9.

Edmond Dantès;56414468 said:
It's interesting that Howard Shore isn't responsible for the Misty Mountains theme. What is now the most memorable Middle-earth earth theme was created by Plan 9.

What in the hell? I love you Dantes, but since The Hobbit released, it's like your mind has been poisoned.

Vashetti

Banned
Do we think Shore's score will be fixed for the Extended version?

Too many cues from LOTR's soundtrack in AUJ I think.

I read that they pretty much butchered his soundtrack.

Loxley

Do we think Shore's score will be fixed for the Extended version?

Too many cues from LOTR's soundtrack in AUJ I think.

I read that they pretty much butchered his soundtrack.

My assumption up to this point has always been that the last-minute switch to a trilogy is what did Shore's music in, I'm not too confident that the EE will fix things on that end.

Again, if any one of the films was going to suffer as a result of the expansion from two films to three, it was going to be AUJ - and it certainly did in a number of areas, the score being one of the casualties. As such, I feel much more optimistic about DOS and TABA now, they'll likely be much more tightly edited, along with feeling a little more complete given that - at the point in the book where DOS likely begins - it's where things really get moving.

Edmond Dantès;56408600 said:
Nasmith has you covered.

ijEmYJPrBLbM5.jpg

Something about being careful what I wish for.

I was wondering, what is the language that Azog is speaking to Thorin at the end when he's taunting him? Is it Dwarvish or Orcish or something else? I'm curious because (I think?) Azog speaks the same language to his lackies on Weathertop. I guess I find it weird that he would speak/understand Dwarvish and use it when there aren't any dwarves around, but extra weird if Thorin understood Orcish.

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
I was wondering, what is the language that Azog is speaking to Thorin at the end when he's taunting him? Is it Dwarvish or Orcish or something else? I'm curious because (I think?) Azog speaks the same language to his lackies on Weathertop. I guess I find it weird that he would speak/understand Dwarvish and use it when there aren't any dwarves around, but extra weird if Thorin understood Orcish.
It's related to Black Speech, a neo-Orkish variant developed by the linguist of the Hobbit and LOTR films; David Salo, that Azog uses rather than Westron.

A way to distinguish the Gundabad Orcs from what we've seen so far.

Learning the language of your enemy would be a good thing in Middle-earth. Many of the characters in Tolkien's Legendarium were polygots.

Edmond Dantès;56447812 said:
It's related to Black Speech, a neo-Orkish variant developed by the linguist of the Hobbit and LOTR films; David Salo, that Azog uses rather than Westron.

A way to distinguish the Gundabad Orcs from what we've seen so far.

Learning the language of your enemy would be a good thing in Middle-earth. Many of the characters in Tolkien's Legendarium were polygots.

OOoooohh damn! That makes sense, especially since so many races live for so long. Is that why the dwarves are so secretive about their language? I wonder if we'll get to hear them speak it in the movies (beyond Bifur, of course).

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
OOoooohh damn! That makes sense, especially since so many races live for so long. Is that why the dwarves are so secretive about their language? I wonder if we'll get to hear them speak it in the movies (beyond Bifur, of course).
Yes, Dwarves were very protective of their own language, rituals, customs and culture in general. As Elrond said in the Fellowship of the Ring; "they care nothing for the troubles of others."

Loxley

So I just ordered a pseudo-replica of a prop from the films from a prop-replica maker based in Spain, should get here in a couple weeks. It's nothing too amazing since it's not an exact match to it's film counterpart (it's not meant to be), but I'll be excited to show it off when it gets here :)

Edmond Dantès

Dantès the White
So I just ordered a pseudo-replica of a prop from the films from a prop-replica maker based in Spain, should get here in a couple weeks. It's nothing too amazing since it's not an exact match to it's film counterpart (it's not meant to be), but I'll be excited to show it off when it gets here :)
What is the prop? Or is it a secret until the big reveal.

Loxley

Edmond Dantès;56484876 said:
What is the prop? Or is it a secret until the big reveal.

Meh, I think I'll keep it a secret for now :) Like I said, it's nothing mind-blowingly awesome, but it will actually have some practical use for me.

EEE!! I'm not even gonna try to guess :p But that's hella exciting! I can't wait to see it :)

Ninja edit: You said "from the films"; do you mean from The Hobbit films, or PJ's Middle Earth altogether?

Loxley

EEE!! I'm not even gonna try to guess :p But that's hella exciting! I can't wait to see it :)

Ninja edit: You said "from the films"; do you mean from The Hobbit films, or PJ's Middle Earth altogether?

Middle-Earth films altogether (since it's in both the Lord of the Rings films and the Hobbit).

I will say that's a prop that Weta have never made officially licensed replicas for at any point, so finding one is a bit of a nightmare :lol

Middle-Earth films altogether (since it's in both the Lord of the Rings films and the Hobbit).

I will say that's a prop that Weta have never made officially licensed replicas for at any point, so finding one is a bit of a nightmare :lol

Oh really. Well if Weta hasn't attempted a replica, I have an teeny inkling of what it might be... but now I'm SUPER curious. Practical use, eh? Hmmm. Hmmm...

duckroll

Okay, I think it's about time to retire this thread.

- It's 2 years old
- There are a ton of other threads about the actual release of the first movie
- There are threads about the second movie as well
- Since the creation of the thread the project has expanded into 3 films (LOL)

Those looking for discussion on the first film can find several outlets for it, or make new threads. Those looking to discuss the production of the second film can check the latest thread about it, and new threads will be certainly be created when there are new milestones.

Just search for "hobbit" in advanced search, limiting it to the Off Topic forum. Thanks. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom