• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hong Kong Massacre launches January 22 on PS4 & PC

Bullet Club

The Hong Kong Massacre launches January 22

October 2017-announced shooter finally dated.

DNay1Zx.jpg

The Hong Kong Massacre, the Hong Kong-set top-down shooter first announced in October 2017, will launch for PlayStation 4 and PC on January 22, developer Vreski announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

Blast your way through the streets of Hong Kong in a fast-paced, top-down shooter.​

Inspired by classic action movies, The Hong Kong Massacre places you at the center of a hard-boiled revenge story, filled with brutal, cinematic shootouts and vivid underworld locations.

Take on the role of a former police detective bent on exacting vengeance for his partner’s murder and use of a mixture of raw firepower, slow-motion and dive/dodge mechanics to tear your way through the criminal ranks.

Dive through windows or dodge behind cover – every shot is lethal, so stay aware of your surroundings and exploit the environment however you can.

When the heat is on, you can slow down time and plan for the next move. Avoiding bullets whilst taking out enemies is crucial for survival – but beware, your slow-motion ability is limited: plan fast, think ahead and bring down the bad guys unscathed.

Each level features a range of challenges, allowing you to to unlock new weapons as you progress, trading bullets from restaurants to rooftops across a moody, crime-riddled city.​

Watch a new trailer below.

Source: Gematsu

Stitch

Gold Member
Oh fucking finally. I've been waithing for this since the first prototype footage showed up in 2014.

Shin

Banned
John Woo meets The Replacement Killers from above :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
This reminds me of Whore of the Orient (for some far fetched reason), we need more games about the underworld of HK/Shanghai.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm a sucker for top down shooters, and currently messing with the glorious Nex Machina.

Will keep my eye on this one.

I can't see "Hong Kong" in the title of a game without thinking of Hong Kong '97.

"the year 1997 has arrived, a herd of fucking ugly Reds is rushing from the mainland"

"What I'm thinking kill a nun and then a ninja, young tang! What I'm thinking kill a nun and then a ninja, young tang!"

ROMhack

Sorry for double posting but does anybody know the length of it? I'm considering picking it up later but I'd at least like for it to be longer than two hours.

xrnzaaas

I enjoyed playing (and finishing) this game, but I regret buying it a full price. While the gameplay is engaging and the high difficulty is there (especially if you go for 100% of the challenges) the game doesn't offer a lot of variety like Hotline Miami and other similar titles. You discover all the mechanics really quickly and the only exception are the
bulletproof vest guys.
The boss battles are also very uninspiring. It's still a cool title, but it's a shame it didn't turn out to be much better.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

The Hong Kong Massacre is a stylistic, top-down shooter that plays out like classic action movie gun fights. Set in the seedy underground of 1990’s Hong Kong, players go on a vigilante, bullet-fuelled revenge mission against the criminal Triads. Each run turns into a majestic flow of choreographed violence through slow-motion time manipulation, bullet-dodging knee slides or body rolls, and snappy 360-degree shooting. Crash through windows, vault over obstacles and switch between multiple weapons as you zone in on the perfect way to clear each level, getting ever closer to the Triad bosses that wronged you.

Releases on Nintendo Switch on December 26th, 2020. Pre-order now for a 20% off discount.

Top Bottom