• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Horizon Zero Dawn TV adaptation will be developed by Steve Blackman (The Umbrella Academy) at Netflix

GymWolf

giphy.gif
Boy i loved using this dude in wwe smackdown here comes the pain.

Last edited:

saintjules

Elliot page starring as Sylens?

I always wonder if it's that the actual Actors portraying the characters from a game are either too expensive to hire or are just simply not available?

Like the whole Days Gone thing for example. Sam Witwer would be perfect for the movie for obvious reasons. Lance Reddick for Sylens makes sense also for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Just to make sure that I understand this correctly, this is the person who is creating the TV series, that is such a bizarre turn of events, I remember him from my PS1 days with WWF games.
vRUOAWd.jpg

brian0057

Banned
No i never spoke about those two i only talked about Tombraider and Resident and i was answering Gymwolf, who are you, and wtf are you (not is you) talking about?
Using Tomb Raider and Resident Evil to prove that game-to-movie/show adaptations can work?
When you had Sonic and Arcane right there? Examples that, unlike yours, both print money and are actually good?
Again, WTF is you talking about?

Last edited:
Not feeling these "we make shows from games you already love" and "we make games from superhero movies you already love" trend. At the end of the day, youre just swapping medium.

GymWolf

O you want to win the discussion? Whatever you say. the 2 i mentioned where a great succes if you like them ore not.
I don't wanna win anything dude, do you think that the dude who posted is a netflix shareholder? do you think he cares if the show makes money? he was clearly mostly talking about quality, and both tr and re are mostly shite quality wise, all of the entries... and even their monetary success is nothing to write at home either.

In steam you have 20 sequels for supertruck and fucking farming simulator, do you think these are majorly successful games? no, they just sell enough to guarantee a sequel, exactly like the RE movies or the first 2 tr movies.

MastaKiiLA

Just to make sure that I understand this correctly, this is the person who is creating the TV series, that is such a bizarre turn of events, I remember him from my PS1 days with WWF games.
vRUOAWd.jpg
No. Same name, but different person. LOL. It would be kinda funny if this Blackman turned into a sci-fi/fantasy writer after wrasslin.

Fbh

IMO there's 3 ways this doesn't turn out to be shit:

- It's animated
- Netflix puts a GOT / LOTR tier budget on this (they won't)
- It's a prequel showing the events that lead to the state of the world as it is in the first game. Basically we get to see the parts we only hear through text and voice logs in the first game.

GymWolf

IMO there's 3 ways this doesn't turn out to be shit:

- It's animated
- Netflix puts a GOT / LOTR tier budget on this (they won't)
- It's a prequel showing the events that lead to the state of the world as it is in the first game. Basically we get to see the parts we only hear through text and voice logs in the first game.
The events that lead to the plot are still full choke of action, terraforming and gigantic killer robots (bigger than the dinobot even) so they still need an high budget to not look cheap.

Last edited:

Fbh

The events that lead to the plot are still full choke of actions and gigantic killer robots (bigger than the dinobot even) so they still need an high budget to not look cheap.

You'll still need a decent budget, yeah.
But a lot of the relevant events and plot developments during that time happen in bunkers, labs, meeting rooms, etc and not on the front lines.

You could easily frame it as more of a sci fi mystery/thriller/drama with the ocasional CG shot and 1-2 big "money shots" every season. Sort of like the first couple of seasons of The Expanse.

But the actual story of the games? You'd loose most of the appeal if every episode isn't awesome post apocalyptic vistas, robos dinos and Alloy fighting them. You'll end up with something like the Halo show, a cool action franchise reduced to people standing around talking for most of the season with like 2 decent but short action scenes (and the worst subplot ever)

Last edited:

GymWolf

You'll still need a decent budget, yeah.
But a lot of the relevant events and plot developments during that time happen in bunkers, labs, meeting rooms, etc and not on the front lines.

You could easily frame it as more of a sci fi mystery/thriller/drama with the ocasional CG shot and 1-2 big "money shots" every season. Sort of like the first couple of seasons of The Expanse.

But the actual story of the games? You'd loose most of the appeal if every episode isn't awesome post apocalyptic vistas, robos dinos and Alloy fighting them. You'll end up with something like the Halo show, a cool action franchise reduced to people standing around talking for most of the season with like 2 decent but short action scenes (and the worst subplot ever)
Well

you have to show when the robots are still good, show when they start terraforming, when they go violent against animals and humans, when they start attacking cities etc, when they start to fight them and the whole operation enduring victory is a big ass worldwide battle

So yeah if you wanna be faithfull there are a lot of scenes that involve robots.

But sure it would cost more to have the actual current days plot.

Reactions: Fbh

realcool

how netflix enters a meeting when they hear there's a show they can greenlight with a built-in dogshit second season story arc:

giphy.gif

I just imagine an entire episode where they are siting around the base playing that board game and talking, talking talking.

Top Bottom