• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: OVERKILL(HARDCORE) [Wii/Headstrong Games]

carlosp

Banned
time to get a wii i guess. The games i wanna Play:

Mario G.
This
Resi. 4 Wii
the other Resi

I bought a gamecube only for Resi 1 remake an sold both ofter finishing the game. Will I got the GC for 50 € and the game for 50€ :lol

grindamasta said:
Yeah I know, it's just that I don't like this new pulp style and the idea of HotD being in the hands of a western developer...

Western developer or not it's nice to know somebody out there gives a shit about releasing gun games on consoles(cause it certainly ain't Sega of Japan).

later said:
It looks ten times better than UC.

As a bonus Overkill looks to be running at a somewhat decent framerate unlike UC.

Volcynika said:
HotD Wii, Valkyria Chronicles, MadWorld, etc.

I just from now on get interested in anything that's not Sonic :lol

Makes you wonder if Valkyria will end up on Wii eventually. :p

I also wonder what a Sonic Wii game by Headstrong would be like?

Teknoman

Threi said:
oh wow i didn't even notice that he said that :lol

it dont matter though this game has replaced DR:Wii on my want list so is you are reading this: dont fuck it up guys.

Capcom, Sega, and MMV says my love for eastern games is still well justified.

S-E get your act together.

Looking at whats coming down the pipe from S-E, they already have.

As far as a western developer handling House of the Dead, look at what GRIN has done for Bionic Commando. Expect good things.

Teknoman

Eteric Rice said:
Wait, wat.

Well they havent had a bad game yet.

World ends with you
FFIV DS
Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon

Following up with:
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Star Ocean IV
Dragon Quest IV
Star Ocean: First departure
Star Ocean second evolution
FFXIII
FFXIII versus
FFXIII Agito
Parasite Eve 3
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Kingdom Heart 352 something days

At this point the descriptions of the graphics and battle system/story style of the FFXIII trio sound great.

Eteric Rice

Teknoman said:
Well they havent had a bad game yet.

World ends with you
FFIV DS
Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon

Following up with:
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Star Ocean IV
Dragon Quest IV
Star Ocean: First departure
Star Ocean second evolution
FFXIII
FFXIII versus
FFXIII Agito
Parasite Eve 3
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
Kingdom Heart 352 something days

At this point the descriptions of the graphics and battle system/story style of the FFXIII trio sound great.

I think he was talking about getting their act together on the Wii, though.

BiggNife

Haha awesome, I always love me some HotD. 4 was a little underwhelming, but this one shows promise. I really love that they're going for the whole "grind house" aesthetic.

RBH

Day fucking 1.

House of the Dead is one of my guilty pleasures, and I'm always open to more HotD goodness. :D

Teknoman

RAWR!

the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-20080818065536697_640w.jpg

Pistol whip?
the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-20080818065540869_640w.jpg

Thats just not right...
the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-screens-20080818065345718_640w.jpg

Wonder if they'll end up packing a redone House of the Dead 1 together with the game. Unlockable after you beat the standard story mode?

Teknoman

Wish Capcom would take the same initiative and make a truly original survival horror series for the Wii. And with IR pointing flashlight please.

Tim-E

This look fantastic. This is also enough to pressure me to finally get HOTD2&3 next week when I get paid. :lol

Foil

DavidDayton said:
So... is the Wii essentially the Dreamcast, but with sales?

Same color...

Not really. The original Xbox was far more of a 'Dreamcast' than the Wii has been, atleast in terms of game franchises that also released on DC and overall Sega titles. Give it a few years and we'll see, depends on what other games Sega has planned.

I think people forget just how much support Sega gave the first Xbox.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Kinosen said:
Personally, I think further lightgun efforts like this should be kept strictly on WiiWare or very budget priced retail.
Why should the lightgun genre get relegated to budget price/downloads? Personally I love light gun games, ever since playing Operation Wolf in the arcades and would love to see this genre make a comeback.

later

Foil said:
Not really. The original Xbox was far more of a 'Dreamcast' than the Wii has been, atleast in terms of game franchises that also released on DC and overall Sega titles. Give it a few years and we'll see, depends on what other games Sega has planned.

I think people forget just how much support Sega gave the first Xbox.

Difference is, for wii it's paying off.

Flynn

I hope the game features some of the tone of the marketing. A Grindhouse bait and switch would be a massive bummer.

Stumpokapow said:
I bolded the franchises that I would associate prominently with the DC personally, although a few others had DC installments.
... and a few abandoned Dreamcast IPs:
Crazy Taxi
Seaman
Crazy Taxi had an XBox version and recently a PSP port.

Seaman was continued on PS2 not too long ago.

Teknoman said:
Wish Capcom would take the same initiative and make a truly original survival horror series for the Wii. And with IR pointing flashlight please.
Dual WiiMote on-rails shooter would be nice (one WiiMote would be the flashlight, the other the gun).

Segata Sanshiro said:
So you're not totally enthused to be playing a House of the Dead game, then. What were you hoping for?

I would be if the gameplay footage shown in the trailer looked more like House of the Dead and less like Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles with a wacky sense of humor.

Flakster99

poppabk said:
Why should the lightgun genre get relegated to budget price/downloads? Personally I love light gun games, ever since playing Operation Wolf in the arcades and would love to see this genre make a comeback.

Very much in agreement. Area 51 for life!

Teknoman

Sega1991 said:
I would be if the gameplay footage shown in the trailer looked more like House of the Dead and less like Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles with a wacky sense of humor.

Well REUC was slow paced...and sorta tried to do more than what it was "required" to do. Slow speed zombies do not fit in a light gun shooter...that and zombies that dont show visible damage. You really couldnt see much of the gameplay in the trailer though.

If Capcom would've just made Umbrella Chronicles a 60fps smooth light gun shooter that took you from RE0 to right before 4, that would've been fine.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
later said:
It looks ten times better than UC.
1. there are no games that look 'ten times better' on the wii - UC is one of the wii showcases when it comes to presentation.
2. how anybody can tell much about the look of overkill from that video is beyond me.
3. can we drop the pointless comparisons? hotd2 still looks atmospheric to this very day.

mollipen

I'm not going to get too excited about this game until I see screenshots that have the visual effect that the trailer does, so that I know for certainty that's an optional way to play the game. If the game looks just like those screenshots - as in, same old House of the Dead - then meh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Phife Dawg said:
Crazy Taxi had an XBox version and recently a PSP port.

Seaman was continued on PS2 not too long ago.

My comment was in reference to next-gen platforms. Abandoned might have been the wrong word to use, since it's only been a few years for some of them.

birdchili

if this is actually a console-length outing with some depth beyond just a quick trigger finger and some mad aiming skills i'm sold. i'm not so keen if it's more-or-less an arcade game.

i'm highly curious however.

wii is definitely becoming the go-to box for those serious about preparing for the zombie apocalypse. i hope we see something more from those folk working on zombie massacre sometime soon.

blu said:
1. there are no games that look 'ten times better' on the wii - UC is one of the wii showcases when it comes to presentation.
2. how anybody can tell much about the look of overkill from that video is beyond me.
3. can we drop the pointless comparisons? hotd2 still looks atmospheric to this very day.

Washed out colors and realistic zombies. HOTD Zombies are over the top to the point of almost being cartoonish - hell, at one point, HOTD3 was even going to be cel shaded. Plus, for a game about zombies, HOTD games are actually very colorful.

33f7ryb.jpg

152gcgj.jpg

qno94m.png

Compare to:

21dhqqe.jpg

The bright colors in that screenshot is debatable - the lighting is sort of colorful, but the light is shining on washed out textures.

It's like typical Capcom Fighting Game visual style vs. the visual style seen in Final Fight: Streetwise.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Does GAF always have to argue over the first screens released for a game? Have people learned nothing? Sometimes I just think people want to bitch about anything. "Bu-bu-bu it's not *as* colorful!! :( :("

People, shut up please.

Snaku

Banned
Jag22 said:
Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles was a pretty shitty lightgun game IMHO.

True, how was the HotD 2 & 3 Wii?

I loved HotD 2 on Dreamcast, and I never got to play 3. Are they good ports? How are the controls?

Top Bottom