• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: OVERKILL(HARDCORE) [Wii/Headstrong Games]

The M.O.B

house_of_the_dead__overkill_-_gc_2008-nintendo_wiiartwork2965overkill_logo_small_onpaper-copy-copy.jpg

Sega Europe said:
THEY’VE COME FOR BRAINS, YOU’LL GIVE THEM BULLETS

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Brings Pulp Horror Action to Wii

LEIPZIG (August 19th, 2008) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced The House of the Dead: OVERKILL, an all-new pulp-horror reinvention of the classic SEGA light-gun shooter franchise. Created by London-based studio Headstrong Games, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will take you right back to the beginning of this classic horror series. Available exclusively on the Nintendo Wii early in 2009 and announced to coincide with Games Convention at Leipzig, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be presented live by developer Headstrong Games for specially invited members of the press in SEGA’s business centre suite.

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL uncovers the ugly, terrifying, red hot secrets behind the House of the Dead; the daddy of all over-the-top shooters. While staying true to the classic gameplay this hugely successful SEGA series is getting a new retro look, with distinctive graphics, sound and attitude that will add to its horror cool status. Plus, thanks to the Wii Remote™, players will fight off zombies when they get too close; pistol-whipping jaws off and smashing in skulls with their shotgun butt.

“We wanted to do something really different with The House of the Dead: OVERKILL,” commented Bradley Crooks, Studio Head at Headstrong Games. “With SEGA we’ve been able to create a fresh look for the franchise. I think you’ll agree it’s like nothing you’ve seen before on Wii.”

“Paying homage to the pulp horror comics and films that inspired generations of gore fans, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will expose gamers to a brand-new fleshy rollercoaster ride of revolting dismemberment,” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director at SEGA Europe. “This is the hardcore Wii title you’ve been waiting for.”

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL takes you back to when Special Agent G was fresh out of the academy. Teamed up with hard-boiled bad-ass Detective Washington, they are sent to investigate stories of mysterious disappearances in small-town Louisiana. Little do they know what blood-soaked mutant depravity awaits them in the streets and swamps of Bayou City…

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be released in early 2009, exclusively for Nintendo Wii. For more information about the game, please visit www.houseofthedeadoverkill.com.

Check out our YouTube channel for the UNCUT version of the trailer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUD2sLE5rM

Features –

• Pulp Funk Horror.
Zombie cool, one of the most popular shooter classics injected with a whole new retro b-movie look.

• An utterly in-your-face zombie-dismembering blast.
Non-stop light-gun style action on Wii, blow apart zombies for high-score thrills.

• Superb co-op action on Wii.
Bring a friend and play the game as intended in your own buddy action movie as two of the meanest characters in video gaming.

• Relentless, gore-drenched, over-the-top action.
Only the coolest, most cold-hearted agent’s going to keep his head against the zombie flood. Use “Slow-Mofo Time” to make the perfect head-popping shot and “Evil Eye” to spot moments of opportunity that will send the whole environment up in flames.

• Wiimote reactions.
Get knee-deep in the dead with motion-sensitive Wii-controls. Shuck a shotgun and when the zombies get too close, pistol whip jaws off or cave some heads in with the stock of your pump-action – all in stomach-churning close-up.

Trailer(Pick your choice)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUD2sLE5rM

http://www.gamekyo.com/video12684_nouveau-house-of-the-dead-sur-wii.html

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/255235.html

In 720P
ftp://segapr.segaamerica.com/SEGA_GAMES/House%20of%20the%20Dead%20Overkill/House%20of%20the%20Dead%20Overkill%20August%2019th/Trailer/

Interviews
Ign Exclusive Interview

Impressions
Kotaku

Screens

http://spongychicken.com/2008/08/19/hotd-overkill-first-screenshots/

house_of_the_dead__overkill_-_gc_20.jpg

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Cdammen said:
That was an awesome Grindhouse-esque trailer! But :( it's for the Wii... why can't we have HD-lightgun games?

Must this happen in every thread.

Vorador

Banned
Agent G is back and alive!! XD

I guess is some sort of a prequel to HOTD2. I still remember the line "Suffer like G did!" :lol

web01

Very nice trailer but is this running on a new engine seems very hard to tell from llimited gameplay clips.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
YOU DON'T JUST KILL YOU OVERKILL

DAMN STRAIGHT

THEY'VE COME FOR BRAINS, YOU GIVE THEM BULLETS.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Like, I see all this Grindhouse stuff, but I don't understand how the game is different at all.

The M.O.B

Thx for fixing the thread title sp0rsk, much appreciated.

So many awesome quotes in this trailer

Edit: actually Duckroll thx

Alcibiades

darn it didn't realize there was a new thread, anyway here's my reaction:

Nice trailer, but if Sega thinks it's "hardcore" - in the sense they use it here - that Wii gamers have been waiting for, they have it wrong (Zack and Wiki seems about as hardcore as this in some ways).

What Wii gamers want is expensive-to-develop games by talented designers on the level of Metal Gear Solid 4 and other big 3rd party hits on the HD systems.

Throwing the word "hardcore" around is fine, but that could mean any number of things:

-high budget, AAA-level game with 3-4 year development time (MSG4, FFXIII, RE:5)
-old-school (1942: Joint strike)
-niche (Castle of Shikigami)
-obscure (Killer 7)
-violent (Manhunt)

This trailer seems to be using the terms "hardcore" because of the violence and gore (similar to Umbrella Chronicles perhaps), rather than in terms of high production values (like Resident Evil 4).

I'm hopeful this will be a solid light-gun shooter (and will look forward if priced at $29.99 like Ghost Squad), but I'm I fear when Sega's executives talk about "hardcore" games on Wii they mean everything but high budget, long-term development games.

For this reason I have doubts about Madworld but I'm willing to give both games a chance.

Cdammen said:
That was an awesome Grindhouse-esque trailer! But :( it's for the Wii... why can't we have HD-lightgun games?

Games become a harder sell when a expensive peripheral is required. Especially when a play through of the game takes an hour.

Tenbatsu

sp0rsk said:
Like, I see all this Grindhouse stuff, but I don't understand how the game is different at all.
Yeah think we have to wait for more information on this. I hope its good as its handled by a western developer now....

duckroll

I've attached the platform to the topic, and I don't expect to hear anyone whining about platforms in here. No more excuses since you now know what platform it's for before you came in.

I think the trailer looks pretty good, it's hard to tell much from the video but I'm interested. Since developers don't seem interested in bringing more light gun games to other platforms, if Sega is making a good effort there's no reason to say no. A good light gun game is a good light gun game in the end, and we need more of them for the home market. :)

Taker666

Cdammen said:

Because Microsoft/Sony didn't include a device capable of playing them as standard.

*Loads up Perfect Shots* I'm always up for a good light gun shooter. Love the trailer too.

And Sega, maybe another PSO if you're not too busy?

favouriteflavour said:
Games become a harder sell when a expensive peripheral is required. Especially when a play through of the game takes an hour.
That's always been the issue with lightgun games but nowadays it would be feasible to give further support to such peripherals through digital channels. Guess that would divide an already small market though.

Eternal_0

I'm already looking forward to this game. I've already beaten the other HotD games. Thankfully I don't have to dump a load of quarters into the Wii to play this one. I bet they're going to give us a set number of continues or something to jack up the difficulty, though.

basik

YES YES YES!

day 1 for me.

too bad nintendo didnt advertise bwii, its a good game...its online works but needed voice chat, hope they get to make another battalion wars game.

dragonlife29 said:
Wow, were Time Crisis 4 sales that bad?

They were, weren't they? I haven't seen it on shelves in months.

Regardless, this is great news, and hopefully this is a sign that we'll be seeing more rail shooter IPs revitalized on Wii. The genre's potential userbase has exploded thanks to Nintendo removing the need to pay a premium to experience these titles, which is awesome.

: D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D : D

house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg

house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg

house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg

house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg

house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg
house112607.jpg

SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR NOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

later

Eternal_0 said:
I'm already looking forward to this game. I've already beaten the other HotD games. Thankfully I don't have to dump a load of quarters into the Wii to play this one. I bet they're going to give us a set number of continues or something to jack up the difficulty, though.

You have to use wii points to be able to continue in the game. (For that authentic feel).

not

Cdammen

legend166 said:
So we have a genre that is 100% perfect for the Wii, and people still complain? lol.
Well yeah because 1) the Wiimote isn't using IR as far as I know you just move a reticule like in Let's Go Jungle!, 2) I don't have a Wii at the moment and 3) it seems awesome and I wanna play too :(

Fuck, watched the trailer again an the grainy filter and colors really set the vibe.

(EDIT) Damn! 2 and 3 also coming to the Wii? My wallet will be screaming in agony this fall because now I really need a Wii.

Cdammen said:

Every thread.

Trailer looks great. Probably a stupid question, but is the grain filter going to be used in the actual game, or is it just for the trailer? I love it.

Well, they've nailed the style - Tarantino/Rodriguez' take on grindhouse cinema - perfectly, and they've proven they have a good grip on the Wii hardware so now it's just a case of seeing whether Headstrong have the chops to turn out a polished game in this style...

Alcibiades

later said:
Hey, I'll take a solid light-gun game anyday. It's fun to shoot things and easy for anyone to join in due to the simplicity of the controls. I just object to the word "hardcore" being thrown around by lots of companies without elaboration as to what that means to them (and I realize the Overkill trailer was funny and corny on purpose).

Top Bottom