• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: OVERKILL(HARDCORE) [Wii/Headstrong Games]

Cdammen said:
yeah because 1) the Wiimote isn't using IR

SEGA has already proven that a calibrated Wiimote and sensor bar can pretty effectively emulate the light gun experience, for those who'd rather not play with the reticule on.

Toy Soldier said:
SEGA has already proven that a calibrated Wiimote and sensor bar can pretty effectively emulate the light gun experience, for those who'd rather not play with the reticule on.
in what?

hotd wii wasn't 1:1 you fewl

Alcibiades said:
Hey, I'll take a solid light-gun game anyday. It's fun to shoot things and easy for anyone to join in due to the simplicity of the controls. I just object to the word "hardcore" being thrown around by lots of companies without elaboration as to what that means to them (and I realize the Overkill trailer was funny and corny on purpose).
The term "hardcore" is subjective. No point in explaining something that will, justifiably, be argued to death.

Mr. Spinnington said:

Ghost Squad

I haven't yet played HoTD Wii, but Ghost Squad was pretty darn close. I never had much in the way of problems at all in the calibrated mode sans-reticule. As I said, it pretty effectively emulated the light gun experience, that's a fact.

Eternal_0

later said:
You have to use wii points to be able to continue in the game. (For that authentic feel).

not

That would suck so much! :lol :lol :lol

I bet that they'll include pickups to give you extra continues, much like the pickups that give you more health and points in the rest of the series. Or maybe you'll have to rescue your partner to get an extra continue? If you have to get a good rank on a mission to get one, it's going to be difficult. The thought of this being a hard game makes me want it more. :D

It's going in baby steps, but Wii 3rd party support is slooowly getting better. Rail shooter isn't my genre of choice, but as long as they flesh it out with enough content and different modes I'll be picking it up for some old fashioned co-op zombie killing action. The obvious homage to Grindhouse is both cheesy and awesome.

Oh, and the flaming amusement ride of death rules. :D

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Oh mama.

Love love LOVE House of the Dead. Love it. And now there's an original title coming to the Wii? I can't wait!

Tenbatsu said:
Even better! Umbrella Chronicles is awesome!
I honestly don't know if that was sarcasm...but if you're being truthful, I totally agree with you! :D Such a great game--one of the only ones my brother actually wanted to play with me.

Toy Soldier said:
I haven't yet played HoTD Wii, but Ghost Squad was pretty darn close. I never had much in the way of problems at all in the calibrated mode sans-reticule. As I said, it pretty effectively emulated the light gun experience, that's a fact.
i haven't played ghost squad yet but hotd wii is like 90% there. i'm also looking to get my hands on RE:UC but it looks to be much slower than hotd wii's was

in either case neither seems to be using the infrared which baffles me

To reiterate my thoughts in the other topic:

YES!

Cdammen said:
That was an awesome Grindhouse-esque trailer! But :( it's for the Wii... why can't we have HD-lightgun games?
Because no one would buy them. It's either lightgun games on Wii or the not-so-slow death on home consoles.

Cdammen said:
Well yeah because 1) the Wiimote isn't using IR as far as I know you just move a reticule like in Let's Go Jungle!, 2) I don't have a Wii at the moment and 3) it seems awesome and I wanna play too :(

Fuck, watched the trailer again an the grainy filter and colors really set the vibe.

(EDIT) Damn! 2 and 3 also coming to the Wii? My wallet will be screaming in agony this fall because now I really need a Wii.
1) Sega has calibration for their lightgun games - I don't think this will be different. TC4 uses the same technology - the old technology doesn't work with LCDs and Plasmas. It's either this (camera) or no lightgun games at all.

2)3) Why should people in this thread care?

2 and 3 are already out on Wii.

Mr. Spinnington said:
in what?

I don't have the PerfectShot (will probably have to import sometime) but calibration worked well (taking aiming over the WiiMote into account :lol ). I don't have a problem with the reticule though - I have fond memories of all the games I played that way on C64 :D . And as stated above, it's either this technology or no lightgun games at all, I gladly take option No. 1.

Tenbatsu

dragonlife29 said:
I honestly don't know if that was sarcasm...but if you're being truthful, I totally agree with you! :D Such a great game--one of the only ones my brother actually wanted to play with me.
Noooo I am serious! Umbrella Chronicles is a great game! The critical hit system is dam awesome.

Tain

Nicely themed trailer.

Kuju's cool, but I doubt they can make a light gun game nearly as well as Sega's AM1 can. It'd be nice to see the game veer into another genre or something instead of being an ugly case of "we can do this, light gun games are simple," but it looks like a light gun game. :|

Eternal_0 said:
I'm already looking forward to this game. I've already beaten the other HotD games. Thankfully I don't have to dump a load of quarters into the Wii to play this one. I bet they're going to give us a set number of continues or something to jack up the difficulty, though.

If you had to use continues on the earlier games, you haven't beaten them. You just kinda coasted through and saw the sights.

sp0rsk said:
Like, I see all this Grindhouse stuff, but I don't understand how the game is different at all.

I saw zombies, and I saw shooting. But I also saw a hud that looked nothing like any of the prior four games, and the zombies themselves just seemed... slow? I don't know, it looked pretty different to me. I'd like more clean play footage.

Phife Dawg said:
I don't have the PerfectShot (will probably have to import sometime) but calibration worked well (taking aiming over the WiiMote into account :lol ). I don't have a problem with the reticule though
i'm not sure the perfectshot is going to do anything outside of fulfill the nostalgia factor for you, but i didn't have a problem with the speed either-- it was great

just not light-gun perfect

The M.O.B

Keep in mind Matt.C has known about this for about a year.

And hopefully they use the "grindhouse" like style for the menu's and such. Great presentation.

pakkit

Banned
I don't care that they blatantly ripped that whole shtick from Grindhouse, I want it in the game. Looked like there were some really nice physics there, and I hope they really play the campy horror movie card for all it's worth. HoTD was always cringe worthy, and it's great to see the developers knowingly embrace that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cdammen said:
That was an awesome Grindhouse-esque trailer! But :( it's for the Wii... why can't we have HD-lightgun games?

Because Lightguns are incompatible with HDTVs?

AniHawk

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Umbrella Chronicle II. . . . . .

...Yeah, no. Even though this is a western dev, UC spunoff into a different genre, while this one is the same as the rest of the series.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, it looks like Sega will be getting more of my money....(mutter mutter as long as it isn't $50 of my money mutter mutter)

So... is the Wii essentially the Dreamcast, but with sales?

Same color...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cdammen said:
(EDIT) Damn! 2 and 3 also coming to the Wii? My wallet will be screaming in agony this fall because now I really need a Wii.

THotD2&3R has been available since March in every territory. Some lightgun fan you are...

Android18a said:
If the game is presented the same as that trailer, it will win. That's how Dead Rising should have been :p
The M.O.B said:
Keep in mind Matt.C has known about this for about a year.

And hopefully they use the "grindhouse" like style for the menu's and such. Great presentation.

Apparently it's an in-game filter. Hope it's optional though.

Vorador said:
Time Crisis 4 says hi! :p

Sensor bars says hi again!

I was talking about *actual* lightguns. Vacuum tube scanning and all. :p

IGN will have something on the game, but it's not up on the site yet.

54644.jpg

Any moment now...

pakkit

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Well, it looks like Sega will be getting more of my money....(mutter mutter as long as it isn't $50 of my money mutter mutter)

So... is the Wii essentially the Dreamcast, but with sales?

Same color...
There plenty of similarities, and in a way I do think it's the spiritual successor to the DC, and they're about even in lifetime sales! :lol

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Zombies love Wii it seems.

This makes... five zombie games now? (RE4, RE:UC, DR:CTYD, THotD2&3R, THotD:O)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
pakkit said:
There plenty of similarities, and in a way I do think it's the spiritual successor to the DC, and they're about even in lifetime sales! :lol

Just pretend the Dreamcast was the Saturn in Japan and that the Playstation was never released.

I suppose there's no hope for a quasi "port" of the original HoTD in this game... it would be nice to have all the HotD games on one system.

Kuran

Banned
Nice presentation in that video, but the game doesn't seem to be as charming as the others.. perhaps it is too drab, and maybe the zombies lack 'character', they look like Resident Evil zombies.

Or maybe its because I know this is not made in-house.

sp0rsk said:
I guess I'll have to see a real gameplay trailer, but the clips just looked like more HOTD to me.

I can see a combo system and some kind of meter under the score. Maybe these are elements from HotD4?

I'm just glad that they've kept it (from what it seems) a scoring-based lightgun shooter instead of making a 3rd person survival horror or some other shit like that.

Top Bottom