• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: OVERKILL(HARDCORE) [Wii/Headstrong Games]

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
pakkit said:
lechiffre.jpg

Where's that Robin Williams GIF of blood coming out of his eyes?

jibblypop

Banned
yes! sega has been bringing the light gun goods on wii! ghost squad and house of the dead 2 & 3 were both awesome!
this announcement is perfect!

sp0rsk said:
Must this happen in every thread.

You mean the way you go in every Team Ninja, Itagaki, Ninja Gaiden 2 thread and derail it? Don't call someone out on something you do all the time.

Mr. Pointy said:
Because you didn't buy Time Crisis 4.

But it was a crap game. Your post would've had more merit if HOTD4 was released for consoles and it didn't sell.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
a. i dig the grindhouse-meets-italian-spiderman stylings of the trailer

b. i was hoping this would be a port of the new love-themed hotd arcade game

c. if this is in fact a lightgun game with ghost squad's calibrated aiming, i'll buy it anyway

d. if it's an fps spinoff or a 'lightgun' game without calibrated aiming, it can gtfo

e. thank god they aren't doing a jsr game

Mr. Spinnington said:
i'm not sure the perfectshot is going to do anything outside of fulfill the nostalgia factor for you, but i didn't have a problem with the speed either-- it was great

just not light-gun perfect
Well it's nostalgia and it has sights - something that the Zapper both lacks. It may not be perfect (although my Saturn lightguns were far from perfect either) but it's the best we can possibly get today.

Vorador said:
Time Crisis 4 says hi! :p

Sensor bars says hi again!
The technology used for TC and Wii is not the same as the lightgun technology of old.

Haunted

I might bleed from my own eyes just seeing that fucking awesome trailer.

AND G IS BACK! :eek: :eek:

They want brains, you give them bullets!

pakkit

Banned
drohne said:
a. i dig the grindhouse-meets-italian-spiderman stylings of the trailer

b. i was hoping this would be a port of the new love-themed hotd arcade game

c. if this is in fact a lightgun game with ghost squad's calibrated aiming, i'll buy it anyway

d. if it's an fps spinoff or a 'lightgun' game without calibrated aiming, it can gtfo

e. thank god they aren't doing a jsr game
I'm right there with you until e.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Vorador said:

Sega should use this in commercials.

HOUSE OF THE DEAD OVERKILL

SIMULATE THE ONE GOOD SCENE IN THE HIT (?) FILM ONE HOUR PHOTO

AVAILABLE 2009

Alcibiades said:
I just object to the word "hardcore" being thrown around by lots of companies without elaboration as to what that means to them (and I realize the Overkill trailer was funny and corny on purpose).

Well considering that Sega could have released House of the Dead EX (the zombie mini game collection that features zombie bowling and zombie fruit picking), HOTD Overkill is hardcore in comparison.

test_account

XP-39C²
I dont have a Wii myself, but i really like lightgun games, so i always welcome a new House Of The Dead game! :) I think it is cool to see a new House Of The Dead game! :)

farnham said:
because of the awesome sales of Time Crisis 4
How good or bad were the sales of Time Crisis 4? The only sale numbers i've seen for Time Crisis 4 is from Japan. If i remember right, i also remember seeing it in the Top 10 list in France for maybe 2-3 weeks. Based on that we dont have much numbers for Time Crisis 4, i guess we can assume that the game didnt sell alot of copies, but o have no idea how successful the game was when we talk about if the game made any profit or not. Please correct me if i'm wrong, but isnt Time Crisis 4 basicly an arcade port, with an added first person view mode? I dunno how expencive the developement of the game was based on this. Of course it probably costed some money to develope the G-CON 3 (the lightgun that is included with Time Crisis 4) as well.

N.A

Banned
Press release:
THEY’VE COME FOR BRAINS, YOU’LL GIVE THEM BULLETS

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Brings Pulp Horror Action to Wii

LEIPZIG (August 19th, 2008) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced The House of the Dead: OVERKILL, an all-new pulp-horror reinvention of the classic SEGA light-gun shooter franchise. Created by London-based studio Headstrong Games, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will take you right back to the beginning of this classic horror series. Available exclusively on the Nintendo Wii early in 2009 and announced to coincide with Games Convention at Leipzig, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be presented live by developer Headstrong Games for specially invited members of the press in SEGA’s business centre suite.

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL uncovers the ugly, terrifying, red hot secrets behind the House of the Dead; the daddy of all over-the-top shooters. While staying true to the classic gameplay this hugely successful SEGA series is getting a new retro look, with distinctive graphics, sound and attitude that will add to its horror cool status. Plus, thanks to the Wii Remote™, players will fight off zombies when they get too close; pistol-whipping jaws off and smashing in skulls with their shotgun butt.

“We wanted to do something really different with The House of the Dead: OVERKILL,” commented Bradley Crooks, Studio Head at Headstrong Games. “With SEGA we’ve been able to create a fresh look for the franchise. I think you’ll agree it’s like nothing you’ve seen before on Wii.”

“Paying homage to the pulp horror comics and films that inspired generations of gore fans, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will expose gamers to a brand-new fleshy rollercoaster ride of revolting dismemberment,” commented Gary Knight, European Marketing Director at SEGA Europe. “This is the hardcore Wii title you’ve been waiting for.”

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL takes you back to when Special Agent G was fresh out of the academy. Teamed up with hard-boiled bad-ass Detective Washington, they are sent to investigate stories of mysterious disappearances in small-town Louisiana. Little do they know what blood-soaked mutant depravity awaits them in the streets and swamps of Bayou City…

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL will be released in early 2009, exclusively for Nintendo Wii. For more information about the game, please visit www.houseofthedeadoverkill.com.

Check out our YouTube channel for the UNCUT version of the trailer – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKUD2sLE5rM

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
MadWorld...

MotionPlus...

The Conduit...

The House of the Dead: OVERKILL...

Wii gaming is way, WAY up in early 2009 it seems. :D

dragonlife29 said:
Is that the new way to say man train? :lol

Oh God what have I done? *upside-down :lol*

Mr. Spinnington said:
in what?

hotd wii wasn't 1:1 you fewl

Yes it was, as was Ghost Squad. A wiimote and perfect shot is honestly as good as any lightgun I've used once calibrated with Sega's in game tool. I've never needed to use the reticule, just aim with the gun's sights.

I knew buying Ghost Squad and HOTD was a good move, thankyou very much for paying me back with such awesomeness Sega.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
house_of_the_dead__overkill_-_gc_20.jpg

Best boxart ever or best boxart ever?

"In Colour"

"This is like something out of a videogame!"

"Starring SPECIAL AGENT G and DETECTIVE WASHINGTON"

Holy shit, they put G's f-ing name on the box. Damn that's awesome.

house_of_the_dead__overkill_-_gc-1.jpg

Welcome back G. :)

And why hello there Denzel Detective Washington. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
N.A said:
A vast chunk of that is the trailer in 720p.

That is just plain awesome. O_O

Well now, do we know that IGN wasn't bullshitting when they said Factor 5 was attempting 720p? :)

turk128

Andrex said:
Best boxart ever or best boxart ever?

"In Colour"

"This is like something out of a videogame!"

"Starring SPECIAL AGENT G and DETECTIVE WASHINGTON"
Don't forget the wheelchair.

Dascu

From the Sega site:
• Relentless, gore-drenched, over-the-top action
Only the coolest, most cold-hearted agent’s going to keep his head against the zombie flood. Use “Slow-Mofo Time” to make the perfect head-popping shot and “Evil Eye” to spot moments of opportunity that’ll send the whole environment up in flames.
:lol :lol :lol

duckroll

Andrex said:
That is just plain awesome. O_O

Well now, do we know that IGN wasn't bullshitting when they said Factor 5 was attempting 720p? :)

It's just a video, there's nothing awesome about a 720p video of a game that won't run at that resolution. It's just stupid. You see DS trailers at 640x480 all the time too, doesn't mean jack shit. It's especially bad when they use really clear FMV footage in those trailers, and they turn into low-res pixelated shit FMVs in the actual game.

shuri

Banned
Wow, that actually looks interesting!

Awesome 'more serious' take on the franchise; the grindhouse style trailer was good (they should have done more research tho instead of aping the original grindhouse movie trailer, but it still looks great). I'm so happy that they got rid of the campy of the previous games. This better have calibration and 1:1 aiming, or else I won't even bother with the game.

Don't waste it all away, mysterious Euro Dev working on this game! What this game also needs is MASSIVE GORE; crazy situations where you use the stages to slaughter zombies in craziers and craziers ways.

Top Bottom