• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The human skull/jaw has been getting smaller, this is bad for our health

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Crowded Teeth would be an awesome band name.
Papa Roach got you.

DkYu5he.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Collie #16?

My bro had one years back and it was the dumbest dog I ever met. In the 10 years it was around, the only word it would react to was his name.

But also the nicest dog. Always smiling and friendly to everyone. A burglar could break into a window with a knife and it would go up and cuddle him!

Mistake

I don’t think the average life expectancy was too good before what, 1930? That’s around the time penicillin came. Also, I imagine there’s a good reason puberty starts at 12, as some health problems can happen from childbirth and from the age of 30.
I’m curious if this study has taken a look at different people in other countries today when it comes to bite alignment.

Last edited:
Smaller skulls are sexier.
From my perspective as a man I agree I do like some pretty little thangs

IDK if girls like smaller jaws on men, i mean I'd think big strong jaws means more masculine which perhaps women maybe.. I mean it is 2019 and I've seen some shit

Tesseract

Banned
i'm not sure it's getting 'smaller', it's elongated and the chin is bigger as our wisdoms are obsolete and the masseter muscle no longer has to rip and tear demon meat to survive

petran79

Banned
Anthropologists today agree that hunter gatherers were as intelligent if not more so than so-called civilized human beings. That includes the Greeks, who were as pig ignorant as we are. And there's a reason why the golden age is always a reference to the past. By becoming civilized we have lost a well of knowledge of a lot of things. We became divided within and without, violent, repressed beings. But civilized man, and certainly modern man, prides himself on his ignorance. Philosophers like Thomas Hobbes would've liked us to believe that life before civilization was brutish and harsh, while in reality these were all projections and inaccurate observations of tribes who were already on the side of domestication and control.

Today he thinks he's more because he's become a technologically-obsessed entity, seeking desperately to dominate nature with all the terrible and worrisome results. Mankind has become severely autistic; cerebral, technological, and cold. There are people who'd rather spend time around machines, rather than in nature or with warm human beings. That's insane, and a recipe for disaster as we see happening all around us. As psychologist Erich Fromm said, modern man is necrophiliac (love of death or that which is not alive):

Hesiod had divided the humans into golden (people who lived according to the will of the gods that made them), silver (much worse than golden), bronze (even worse than silver, fighting with wooden lances and fighting wars), heroic (the most courageous and just, demi-gods focusing on spiritual and moral values but ultimately destroyed by wars) and the iron, the worst one of all where all of his peers belong, including today's modern age

zenspider

Yet somehow this necrophilic modern human civilization enjoys the greatest health and wealth in recorded history.

By social and economical metrics, sure. Society and civilization - the superorganism - has never been more productive.
Humanity though? I think it's more of a trade off than we'd like to admit.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So if I have a kid I should get them eating solid food as quickly as possible to make sure they develop a manly jawline?

greyshark

But is the surgery real or something from the movie?

From the movie. Jim Carey’s character was a pushover at the beginning and partly blamed his lack of respect for his weak chin.

After he found his self respect at the the end he paid for a chin implant to physically show how he felt inside now.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
From the movie. Jim Carey’s character was a pushover at the beginning and partly blamed his lack of respect for his weak chin.

After he found his self respect at the the end he paid for a chin implant to physically show how he felt inside now.

Oh, cool. I legit thought his chin was like that now and I was disturbed by it. lol

greyshark

Burgers have tripled in size since the 1950s. If both trends continue, we're going to have problems.

wtf who is drinking 42 oz. sodas? I get they have the XXL sizes to order but the standard you get with your meal is the medium (which I think is 16-20 oz). I can't imagine most people are up-sizing their meals.

And a 12 oz burger is 3/4 a pound - isn't the most popular burger McDonald's offers the quarter pounder? I wonder where this data is coming from. And where is this popular 3/4 pound burger being sold?

Gargus

Banned
250 years doesn't seem nearly long enough for the muscle and skeletal evolutions his pictures are suggesting.

250 years is like 4 to 5 generations of humans, that isn't very much time for a drastic change that is pretty much every person on the planet.

pochi

Neo Member
we need chad braces where the skull gets transformed into the cleanest manliest shape to signal attractiveness to women's brains and dominate earth with our clean, shapely teeth and skulls

i had braces for 2 years and they didnt impact my jawline, luckily
my teeth looking fine
but more sensitive to cavities because, yknow, what could go wrong with having two metal bars permanently stuck to your teeth for 2 years :)

Stouffers

Banned
English mouths have always been shit. Crooked teeth aren’t a byproduct of rubber nipples but the mass export of imperial British baby batter around the globe.

Top Bottom