• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games (Dir. Gary Ross) |OT| May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
The biggest thing to worry about was it's main premise. A lot of kids die in this- some in pretty gruesome ways.

The initial Cornucopia scene should be a bloody good time

Now that it's almost out, it doesn'tseem to be an issue.

The first book was tame. It didn't get really violent until the third book.

Third book spoilers:
Boggs getting blown in half, Prim burning alive, Finnick getting his neck ripped out, the barbed net, the skin metling.

JGS

Banned
The first book is the least political. It's like every other post apocalyptic story out there. It's the games, strategy, and the setting that make it interesting. There's no way to avoid the politics in later movies. They become the whole point.

I will be upset if the romance is changed too much
Team Peeta

JGS

Banned
The first book was tame. It didn't get really violent until the third book.

Third book spoilers:
Boggs getting blown in half, Prim burning alive, Finnick getting his neck ripped out, the barbed net, the skin metling.
That's true, but
the ones who die in later stories are more audience acceptable adults.

Kids rarely die in films and even more rarely die from anything other than tragic circumstances. We'll be rooting for kids' deaths in this one lol.

Don't be a fool. The suits are banking on the twilight comparisons so I can guarantee you that love triangle would become the whole point behind the movie. It won't be nearly as political as the book aims to be.

TEAM GALE!!!

No, that will be the focus of the marketing.

.GqueB.

Banned
That's true, but
the ones who die in later stories are more audience acceptable adults.

Kids rarely die in films and even more rarely die from anything other than tragic circumstances. We'll be rooting for kids' deaths in this one lol.

True. Curious to see how they handle
Rue-xxxxxxxxxx

JGS

Banned
Rue-xxxxxxxxxx
idk, but if I don't cry perfectly normal man tears, the movie is a failure.

The little girl seems to fit the part. It makes me sad just looking at her :(

Koodo

Banned
Wait, what's the "first death"?
You mean the Cornucopia scene? Because if so, yeah, it'll be awesome.
Yeah, that one.
When Katniss is fighting with whomever for the backpack, and bang he gets a knife to his back.

Rue-xxxxxxxxxx
xTR0N.gif

.GqueB.

Banned
idk, but if I don't cry perfectly normal man tears, the movie is a failure.

The little girl seems to fit the part. It makes me sad just looking at her :(

If you don't cry over the death itself then you'll cry at the events directly after... I know I will.

tino

Banned
Team Peeta represent.

I think I am going to pretend the last 1.5 books were written by the fans and wait for the real sequels on the silver screen.

Koodo

Banned
Jennifer Lawrence is pretty much the only stunning person in the cast. Liam Hemsworth is derpness redefined, and Josh Hutcherson puts the B in BOXY.

And everyone else is disposable or not intended to be eye candy.

bengraven

YA has some of the most creative fantasy and sci-fi I've seen in years. Some of the steampunk/sci-fi stuff I've seen lately reminds me of the classic pulp novels, example: The Mortal Engines.

This movie really looks underwhelming. I read the books and I appreciate the look of the District, but the city and city people are not as I pictured. I pictured more slick and sci-fi, not clowns in makeup.

Also, the shaky cam I'm seeing in the trailers is really annoying.

Don't be a fool. The suits are banking on the twilight comparisons so I can guarantee you that love triangle would become the whole point behind the movie. It won't be nearly as political as the book aims to be.

TEAM GALE!!!

Yeah I'm on
Team Gale
too! :lol

JGS

Banned
This movie really looks underwhelming. I read the books and I appreciate the look of the District, but the city and city people are not as I pictured. I pictured more slick and sci-fi, not clowns in makeup.

Also, the shaky cam I'm seeing in the trailers is really annoying.
I honestly don't think they knew what they had when they got it and also don't think that they expected the movie buzz to sell the book as well as it did and vice versa.

Huh, I guess I'm the only one who thought the people in the capital were supposed to look like clowns from reading the books. I like the way they look in the movie. I don't like the uniforms of the peacekeepers though.

EYEL1NER

I got my preorder in for the Battle Royale Special Edition blu ray for 20 bones back in January, so I am more excited for that in a week or two than this. A buddy of mine wants to see this though, so I might go. Or I'll rent it on release or wait the 3 or 4 years it will take to get to Netflix. I don't think that it looks bad from what I have seen (two commercials), but hearing that it is apparently another young adult series is making me kind of wary.

Amagon

Really good book and I'm not big into Young Adult Literature so I'm hyped for the movie. I really hope it doesn't disappoint but their is a lot of good vibes about it right now. But Midnight showing on that night, you'll find my ass watching The Raid and I'll wait a couple weeks and watch The Hunger Games after all the tweens got their filling.

Why am I even doing this, but
Team Gale!

Replicant

Finished reading the first two books this weekend. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

But all I kept thinking was that the 'Games' themselves would make an awesome multiplayer game.

Also kind of excited for the movie now.
IIRC, there's actually an upcoming iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch "Hunger Games" game. I'm not sure how it'd work and since I'm on my phone now I can't do proper search for the image I saw not long ago.

EDIT: Here's the game

http://toucharcade.com/2012/03/02/hey-heres-an-in-game-glimpse-of-hunger-games-girl-on-fire/

Q67KN.jpg

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I got my preorder in for the Battle Royale Special Edition blu ray for 20 bones back in January, so I am more excited for that in a week or two than this. A buddy of mine wants to see this though, so I might go. Or I'll rent it on release or wait the 3 or 4 years it will take to get to Netflix. I don't think that it looks bad from what I have seen (two commercials), but hearing that it is apparently another young adult series is making me kind of wary.

Dude, if you like Battle Royale, jump on it. It's much more than just "another young adult series".

Divius

Loved the books, hope the movies(s?) will be any good. Will hold off until reviews arive whether I go see it in cinema or not.

Really hope the annoying "romance" aspects are toned down, or alternatively changed/improved to be less driven by one character's extreme stupidity.

Brazil

Really hope the annoying "romance" aspects are toned down, or alternatively changed/improved to be less driven by one character's extreme stupidity.

Well, the movie won't be in first person, so I guess they'll have to change a few things and, by consequence, probably improve those aspects.

JGS

Banned
Huh, I guess I'm the only one who thought the people in the capital were supposed to look like clowns from reading the books. I like the way they look in the movie. I don't like the uniforms of the peacekeepers though.
They were supposed to look like clowns except they were supposed to look more like plastic surgery, more ingrained into their faces like you could tell they had work done to keep up with the times.

The clothes just look flamboyant but not impossible to imagine. The book does a great job of explaining what makes it different.

Question for those who have read the book: If the trailers look really uninteresting, is that likely to be a reflection of how I'd like the books?

The premise doesn't sound half bad, but the cast doesn't seem very impressive and the trailers just make everything seem very... blah.

Nonetheless, this movie's going to bank. Count on it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The books, as far as YA goes, are actually quite enjoyable. The trailers do not do them justice. Everything is far too campy and bland.

Brazil

Question for those who have read the book: If the trailers look really uninteresting, is that likely to be a reflection of how I'd like the books?

The premise doesn't sound half bad, but the cast doesn't seem very impressive and the trailers just make everything seem very... blah.

Nope. It only starts getting really fun once they step in the arena, and the trailers didn't show it at all.

Violet_0

Banned

only read the first book (they get progressively worse, or so I've been told) - it's a bit melodramatic, the romance triangle thing can be annoying (it's not the main focus of the story though), and the whole dystopia angle is rather uninteresting (imo). As stated above, the good part begins when they enter the arena. It's also a quick read, a couple of hours maybe.

Brazil

only read the first book (they get progressively worse, or so I've been told) - it's a bit melodramatic, the romance triangle thing can be annoying (it's not the main focus of the story though), and the whole dystopia angle is rather uninteresting (imo). Like stated above, the good part begins when they enter the arena. It's also a quick read, a couple of hours maybe.

The second book's the best, without a doubt.

JGS

Banned
They're all good imo (3 is the best to me but I already know I'm in the minority)

The action in the first book picks up at the half mark, but the setup for the whole premise is found in the first half and it's what sets the stage for the Games so I enjoyed reading it too.

Each book builds on the previous one while at the same time destroying the familiarity we gained from the previous book and does so very quickly. It's an interesting accomplishment even if not done perfectly.

So even if the movie turns out to suck (To be clear, I like the trailers, just not the look of the Capital.), the books are worth the read. I don't know how anyone could get through the second book and stop reading at that point.

Wes

venison crêpe
Nope. It only starts getting really fun once they step in the arena, and the trailers didn't show it at all.

This can't be emphasised enough. The trailers only show the duller parts of the book (whilst all together necessary to build a somewhat coherent story).

charsace

The books, as far as YA goes, are actually quite enjoyable. The trailers do not do them justice. Everything is far too campy and bland.

This is my problem with what I've seen. I thought the people living in the poor areas would look like they were straight out of fallout1.

Zebra

People comparing this to Twilight obviously haven't read the book. It is *nothing* like Twilight. The love triangle just happen to be there, not the main story like it is in Twilight.

I'm excited for this movie!!

I have read the book and I disagree. I felt like the love triangle overwhelmed everything else.

Hieberrr

I heard great (?) things about the series... or at least that it's a huge hit in terms of sales, but those trailers did nothing for me :S It looked really cheap and lame :S

jett

D-Member
Book has GOD AWFUL writing, I have no idea how people made it through that garbage. I'm looking forward to the movie only because I like Gary Ross.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Book has GOD AWFUL writing, I have no idea how people made it through that garbage. I'm looking forward to the movie only because I like Gary Ross.
It's no SoIaF, obviously, but it's not that bad.

It's no SoIaF, obviously, but it's not that bad.

I wouldn't say Martin is a great writer either. I've been stuck on the first half of Storm of Swords for months because I can't stand his self indulgent world building backstory shit that seems to permeate every chapter. The books could be half the size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom