• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The " I cannot believe the critics gave this movie a good review" thread

mcjmetroid

I say this to myself sometimes after finishing a movie.
Movie reviews are always opinion based but just for fun - is there any time you've thought to yourself: What were these critics on when they reviewed this shit?

If you've got a good one: Try and do it in the format below if possible:

• Movie poster
  • Rottentomatoes screenshot or IMDB etc
  • A positive quote from a review
  • Your comment ont he movieI

I'll Start:

Vivarium_film_theatrical_poster.jpg

VtM6V7g.png

One Critic says:
"Vivarium is an ingenious, relentless sci-fi horror from Irish director Lorcan Finnegan and writer Garret Shanley."

I Say:
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. The Audience score in this one is absolutely correct. This one is available on Amazon and seems to show up in a lot of "best movies" lists. Don't waste your time.
I will say the look of the movie is great but almost everything else makes it for such an unpleasant viewing.
It reminds me of room 1408 but that's a lot better, watch that instead"

Fbh

I'll get it out of the way:
EClKJgk.jpg

What critics say
Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists -- and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for

What I say:
It's not only a bad Star Wars movie but just a terrible movie in general with shitty characters, terrible writing and lots of dull and boring scenes. Even if The Force Awakens had been a brand new IP, this would have been a horrible sequel.

Last edited:

MadAnon

Won't bother posting pictures but I would say Annihilation.

Critic reviews boil down to "Women!!!" and your typical modern art reviews where you could literally throw shit against blank canvas and they would tell this is amaizingly thought provoking.

Imo, if the movie leaves you with a lot of questions, it's a god damn epic fail. And the whole movie was a one big question mark. A non-sensical sci-fi salad with nothing coherent. F out of here with these "make of it what you will" movies. Outside of visuals and music it's a complete trash.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Black panther, I dont get it, its not even a great marvel film tbh

a7CtB26.jpg

96%......gtfo.
black panther is pretty bad. i dont care for marvel movies, but i dont think they are bad movies. black panther is a bad movie.

the audience score for these movies is typically much higher than critic ratings. the fact that its nearly 20 points lower is pretty telling.

Alright

Banned
Not to be that guy, but just about any big hollywood blockbuster that has reviewers and normies gushing, is usually shite.

I'm not watching star wars because it's for fat nerd virgins, but the marvel films were largely wank, with the exception of the first few iron mans/captain americas. Thor 3 was the most god awful disjointed mess i have ever seen, without exception, and i've seen Jennifer's Body three times. Although i hated that film because of blue balls...

tsumake

Movie critics are part of the corporate media. The days of Pauline (or even Siskel and Ebert) are long gone. They are there to cheerlead and gatekeep the movies you are supposed to watch. It’s quite frankly disgusting.

tsumake

Inception...movie is so far up it's own ass it brought the viewers with it and convinced them that the turd of a plot was actually high class chocolate pudding.

The film is a refreshing take on the action thriller genre. The layering of scenes (dreams within dreams) was fun. You can quibble about the acting (I can) and the forced love story but it’s a solid movie. It would be pretentious if it hit you on the head with its ideas, but the narrative energy was focused on the robbery.

dr_octagon

Banned
black panther is pretty bad. i dont care for marvel movies, but i dont think they are bad movies. black panther is a bad movie.

the audience score for these movies is typically much higher than critic ratings. the fact that its nearly 20 points lower is pretty telling.

it's decent, not great and the final playstation 2 cgi fight is awful. people comparing it to the efforts of MLK and an important milestone for black history was laughable.

i hope in the future people judge me not on the colour of my skin but the durability of my nanotech suit.

I say this to myself sometimes after finishing a movie.
Movie reviews are always opinion based but just for fun - is there any time you've thought to yourself: What were these critics on when they reviewed this shit?

If you've got a good one: Try and do it in the format below if possible:

• Movie poster
  • Rottentomatoes screenshot or IMDB etc
  • A positive quote from a review
  • Your comment ont he movieI

I'll Start:

Vivarium_film_theatrical_poster.jpg

VtM6V7g.png

One Critic says:
"Vivarium is an ingenious, relentless sci-fi horror from Irish director Lorcan Finnegan and writer Garret Shanley."

I Say:
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. The Audience score in this one is absolutely correct. This one is available on Amazon and seems to show up in a lot of "best movies" lists. Don't waste your time.
I will say the look of the movie is great but almost everything else makes it for such an unpleasant viewing.
It reminds me of room 1408 but that's a lot better, watch that instead"

Anything with that cringe retard Jesse einsburger is a turd.

Inception...movie is so far up it's own ass it brought the viewers with it and convinced them that the turd of a plot was actually high class chocolate pudding.

People don’t get that inception was meta. In the film inception means to plant an idea in your head that you think is yours.

It’s meta in that Nolan convinced people this boring garbage was good before they even saw it.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Promising Young Woman- slow boring movie with one of the most woke messages, and dumb twist ever. It is not good.

Agreed. 5 Oscar nominations? It doesn't deserve any! Its a completely pedestrain barely competent movie.
But my biggest gripe with it (apart from super woke 'all guys bad' messaging) was that Carrey mulligan doesn't suit the role of a femme Fatale at all! Let's be honest, she is old almost ugly looking raggedy ass woman. The movie pretends as if she is super hot bombshell with every guy just dying to fuck her from the moment go, doesn't sit with me.
Now if it was someone like Daddario or Robbie or Upton, then I understand!

Anything with that cringe retard Jesse einsburger is a turd.

You take that back! The social network is amazing (And Zombieland isn't bad either).

Last edited:
I'll get it out of the way:
EClKJgk.jpg

What critics say
Star Wars: The Last Jedi honors the saga's rich legacy while adding some surprising twists -- and delivering all the emotion-rich action fans could hope for

What I say:
It's not only a bad Star Wars movie but just a terrible movie in general with shitty characters, terrible writing and lots of dull and boring scenes. Even if The Force Awakens had been a brand new IP, this would have been a horrible sequel.
44894415.jpg

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Fbh

Neil Young

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri. This movie sucked! And anyone that says Lebowski treats objects like women man.

bitbydeath

What a shitfest.
images

No Country For Old Men - WTH I thought that was meant to be good given the reception I’d heard about it.

3/10 tops.

I was tempted to give it a 6/10 towards the end but then they just gave up filming and rolled the damn credits. Even the three sounds too high but there was some very good actors, that script though. They could have easily knocked an hour off and nothing of value would have been lost from the movie.

This has got to be the worst movie I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Ionian

I actually watched it twice as I thought I'd missed what everyone was on about.

Nope, found it just as boring the second time as well.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I care a lot. Worst movie I've seen in a very long time. Making the woman stealing from old people the protagonist. Just fucking awful.
This was some watch wasn't it haha.
I guess in the movie there were no good guys. But it was a tough watch. Very mean spirited movie.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Felt like theatre students made this. So incredibly boring back to front, with a clever little ending which isn't worth the rest of the running time.

F3lsvim.png

Top Bottom