• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The " I cannot believe the critics gave this movie a good review" thread

Peggies

Gold Member
Felt like theatre students made this. So incredibly boring back to front, with a clever little ending which isn't worth the rest of the running time.

F3lsvim.png
Awesome movie! Awesome!

Porcile

Star Trek Into Darkness. That film was so fucking bad.

edit - oh god, Beyond has an 86% RT score too WTF.

Last edited:

Mistake

I knew this would be an RT thread. I never really used the site for movies, just actors, but I knew it turned to shit when the Dave Chappelle special got released
WaTT7aK.jpg

And then there was the whole cuties thing. So what movie critics are actually worth listening to? I honestly have no idea

Bragr

Banned
As many said already, Black Panther. It had such hype but man, what a mediocre movie on all fronts.

All the Harry Potter movies but the first one. The first one had some charm when it introduces all the cast and discovering the magic world and all that, but generally, those movies aren't that great.

Some of the Marvel movies that have decent scores, like the Ant-Man movies, are weak as hell.

The Dark Knight, a solid movie, but Heath Ledger is overrated, he overacts everything in that film. Joker is one of those characters that people love from the comics and everything that character is in becomes ridiculously overhyped. The new one too, the first half is good but the second half is pretty corny with the weird-ass riots happening out of nowhere and all that.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Absolutely vile movie. Léolo. Basically the movie starts with a guy jerking off in tomatoes, a women fells into the same tomatoes at the market and one gets into her vagina and she gets pregnant with a kid that she names Léo.

Then you have him as teenager fucking a liver then having it cooked full of cum and them eating it. The family also sells their shit, litterally.

Considered a masterpiece. Like WTF people are on what drugs to enjoy that?!

xH42jSB.jpg
EAQyGmZ.jpg

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Absolutely vile movie. Léolo. Basically the movie starts with a guy jerking off in tomatoes, a women fells into the same tomatoes at the market and one gets into her vagina and she gets pregnant with a kid that she names Léo.

Then you have him as teenager fucking a liver then having it cooked full of cum and them eating it. The family also sells their shit, litterally.

Considered a masterpiece. Like WTF people are on what drugs to enjoy that?!

xH42jSB.jpg
EAQyGmZ.jpg

giphy.gif

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The film is a refreshing take on the action thriller genre. The layering of scenes (dreams within dreams) was fun. You can quibble about the acting (I can) and the forced love story but it’s a solid movie. It would be pretentious if it hit you on the head with its ideas, but the narrative energy was focused on the robbery.
Now Tenet on the other hand…

mekes

I dont have a specific to share. Over the past 18 months I have taken many highly rated recommendations from Rotten Tomatos and, well, I just avoid that website altogether now.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Let Me In, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and War for the Planet of the Apes, all directed by Matt Reeves, are each three of the worst movies I've ever seen. I see a good few hundred a year, I live for film. The guy's movies are always critically and financially successful, and they're always so fucking talentless. They're such vapid movies, I don't know how they can be enjoyed by anyone who isn't actually as dumb as the films treat them.
But I guess I'm the dummy, because I keep watching his work. I keep figuring, well, at some point he's just gotta get lucky. I keep thinking, alright, that next one, yeah, that'll be the good one. The Batman, surely, surely that has to be good. I'm setting myself up for disappointment over and over again.

GeorgPrime

Banned

This movie fails on the most basic level.

They tried too much female empowerment with it... but did literally just a mens movie with women and thats why they failed hard with it.

Even the cast was bad. No female actors with charisma.

Lupingosei

Banned
They tried too much female empowerment with it... but did literally just a mens movie with women and thats why they failed hard with it.

Even the cast was bad. No female actors with charisma.
They also failed at every level of filmmaking. They were so full of themselves, that they ignored all the basics, script, pacing, cinematography, dialogs, editing, everything even a film student knows. But why should they, the critics ignore that too. Because you have to have at least a basic knowledge of movies to understand that, which nowadays is not a requirement for a film critic anymore. We also had that in video games.

KielCasto

I8vBWCn.png

Worse than the first movie. All I remember is fat, black, and immigrant jokes.
zZM3QhI.png

I really liked this before they met the coyote girl. It just didn't hold up.
3CxCyOP.png

I like Kristen, Kate, and Chris, but it was such a chore to finish the movie
3LiRaPZ.png

Again, good beginning. From Nina onwards, it was just snores

Mohonky

Felt like theatre students made this. So incredibly boring back to front, with a clever little ending which isn't worth the rest of the running time.

F3lsvim.png

I liked it for something different.

It Follows

They Say

It's a testament to how scary a movie It Follows is that for days after watching it, you walk around thinking up survival plans - should you hide, stay on the move forever, pass the haunting on to someone else?

I say
Nearly two hours of a dude getting friend zoned so hard not even the ever looming presence of death is enough to convince the girl to sleep with him.

Last edited:

drganon

Everyone complains about the last jedi ( which to be fair does suck) but I feel The force awakens is actually worse. It's literally just a crappy rip off of a new hope. The only reason jj cant be sued for plagiarism is due to Disney owning the fucking thing.

Lupingosei

Banned
Everyone complains about the last jedi ( which to be fair does suck) but I feel The force awakens is actually worse. It's literally just a crappy rip off of a new hope. The only reason jj cant be sued for plagiarism is due to Disney owning the fucking thing.
When I wrote this on this board after it came out, people almost went bonkers.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Anything by Jordan Peele. Remember when you needed more than a premise?
Agreed, Get Out was a very mediocre film that only got traction because of featuring evil white racists. I didn't even bother watching Us or The Twilight Zone after seeing their trailers and reading some non-leftist reviews.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

In 2021 this is almost every movie the critics like. They care more about the politics rather than the scenario.

Top Bottom