• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The idea of Reeethreads

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
sOG7haK.jpg

We can talk about these games!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Let’s be honest, Reee has a lot more activity on their gaming forums than here these days, but I really hate posting over there.

Without the likes feature, there are just too many silly hot takes and it feels like much more of an echo chamber.

Yet, I get a lot of newsie information from there, so I wanted to pitch the idea of a “Reeethread”. Just interesting threads pulled wholesale from that forum and resposted on GAF.

How would you feel about that? Is it an act of plagiarism? I mean, nobody is really profiting from it so it should be kosher right?

Might help bring more active discussion to GAF. And let’s be honest, there are some quality posters over there too. Regardless of their stance on many political topics.

What say you GAF [mods]?

99% of Reeeee threads are just news posted wholesale from other sites like Gematsu or Kotaku. Any "insider" information is usually bunk outside of the very rare few times they get something correct. If you think there is something interesting enough to create a thread about it, then do so.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Weren't people getting banned for talking about Kingdom Come: Deliverance because of the owner of the company? That game isn't on the list.

I think the rule was that you just can't speak anything positive about its creator - but the game itself can be talked about. Y'know, because the folks over there are so sensitive and offended at every little thing, they can't possibly have something positive spoken about someone they don't like. Differences in opinion are, as Sonic says, "no good".

JSoup

Banned
As others have said, news is new, post it if you'd like to chat about it or otherwise inform the community. Where it comes from isn't as important as what it is. It coming from Era isn't an issue. I can't be the only person who has a folder of forums I hit up once a week to see what's new in a variety of topics.

I_D

The infatuation with ResetERA just reeks of jilted lovers. It's waaaay past getting old at this point. The moment the "reee" posts stop, this site will become immeasurably better. If you spend that much time checking those posts and then bitching about them here or on Discord, just stop being a coward and confront the ideas on that site.
Stop stalking your ex, and move on.

Let GAF be its own thing. If we have some similar threads, so be it. Gaming news is gaming news, after all. There's bound to be some crossover.

Creating an entire thread focused on some other site, though, just... why?

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I will straight out say that Resetera is like some Wicker Man shit, but without the tits and sex and cool shit.
Just a bunch of creepy cultists terrified to lift their heads and instead live in an oblivious cuck-bubble hive mind.
I will state this as vaguely as possible but I can not stress enough how much of a mistake was made when the big mess happened.

Tesseract

Banned
The infatuation with ResetERA just reeks of jilted lovers. It's waaaay past getting old at this point. The moment the "reee" posts stop, this site will become immeasurably better. If you spend that much time checking those posts and then bitching about them here or on Discord, just stop being a coward and confront the ideas on that site.

Let GAF be its own thing. If we have some similar threads, so be it. Gaming news is gaming news, after all. There's bound to be some crossover.

because it's funny

Ol'Scratch

It is therapy. Some shit over there is so just stupid that you need to tell SOMEONE to make sure the entire world is not batshit.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I will straight out say that Resetera is like some Wicker Man shit, but without the tits and sex and cool shit.
Just a bunch of creepy cultists terrified to lift their heads and instead live in an oblivious cuck-bubble hive mind.
I will state this as vaguely as possible but I can not stress enough how much of a mistake was made when the big mess happened.
Well don't keep us in suspense.

tumblr_owjaybvAEh1socz3go3_500.gif

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

It's not so much infatuation as it's keeping an eye on a group of unstable individuals who caused significant damage to the forum.

Unless you're arguing that isn't the case here. :pie_thinking:

Papa

Banned
LOL I just mean some drank the kool-aid and jumped and learned quickly that they chose poorly

If they're not dickheads they're more than welcome back here. The rest of them can stay in their echo chamber. It's effectively a quarantine zone and I'm thankful it exists.

bucyou

Too bad they dont allow that

I_D

because it's funny
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It seems more like jealousy to me. During the OldGAF days, there was a whole other website created by people who'd been banned from this one, and all they posted about was various levels of bitchiness about GAF.
The idea in the OP isn't too far off.

It is therapy. Some shit over there is so just stupid that you need to tell SOMEONE to make sure the entire world is not batshit.
The same could be said about thousands of websites out there. What makes ERA special?
Why not just post the news story here, then let people talk in their own ways? Referring back to ERA just makes this site seem reactionary, instead of independent.

The need to look at something "so stupid" kinda sounds like the same thing as watching car accident videos. 'It's horrible, but I can't look away,' and whatnot.
The difference is that, after watching the car crash, you move on to something else. There's no need to focus on something stupid, because it's stupid.

Too bad they dont allow that
Depends on the issue. You're right, though, that they have a tendency to read too far into your words and then project their own meanings into them. This site has plenty of people who do that too, though, just on different topics.

It's not so much infatuation as it's keeping an eye on a group of unstable individuals who caused significant damage to the forum.

So why give them ad-revenue and popularity?
I still don't see the point.
When meth heads and rednecks drive by my area, I don't think to myself, "Hmm, I better keep a close eye on them so I can tell my friends about their dumb philosophy," I think more along the lines of, "I'm getting out of here."

That's the point I'm making, I guess. I just don't get it.
If ERA is full of people you so strongly disagree with, I don't see why it's worth your time to spy on them. Think about it; if ERA had no relation to GAF, would anybody care about it on this site? Again, it feels like stalking your ex.

But go for it. You should be able to make just about whatever thread you want. If you want an ERA thread, by all means, have at it. You can talk about stupid, unstable, funny ideas all you want, rather than posting smart and interesting new threads. That might even work if we had dedicated threads to every other site out there too.

I'd still rather GAF be its own thing.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one. It seems more like jealousy to me. During the OldGAF days, there was a whole other website created by people who'd been banned from this one, and all they posted about was various levels of bitchiness about GAF.
The idea in the OP isn't too far off.

The same could be said about thousands of websites out there. What makes ERA special?
Why not just post the news story here, then let people talk in their own ways? Referring back to ERA just makes this site seem reactionary, instead of independent.

The need to look at something "so stupid" kinda sounds like the same thing as watching car accident videos. 'It's horrible, but I can't look away,' and whatnot.
The difference is that, after watching the car crash, you move on to something else. There's no need to focus on something stupid, because it's stupid.

Depends on the issue. You're right, though, that they have a tendency to read too far into your words and then project their own meanings into them. This site has plenty of people who do that too, though, just on different topics.

I still don't see the point.
When meth heads and rednecks drive by my area, I don't think to myself, "Hmm, I better keep a close eye on them so I can tell my friends about their dumb philosophy," I think more along the lines of, "I'm getting out of here."

That's the point I'm making, I guess. I just don't get it.
If ERA is full of people you so strongly disagree with, I don't see why it's worth your time to spy on them. Think about it; if ERA had no relation to GAF, would anybody care about it on this site? Again, it feels like stalking your ex.

But go for it. You should be able to make just about whatever thread you want. If you want an ERA thread, by all means, have at it. You can talk about stupid, unstable, funny ideas all you want, rather than posting smart and interesting new threads. That might even work if we had dedicated threads to every other site out there too.

I'd still rather GAF be its own thing.
If we're sticking with the 'Ex lover' theme, are you playing the role of the beta best-friend who sticks up for the former lover while secretly trying to get into their pants?

Because your impassioned defenses seem to reflect that.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
because it's funny
''Look at those people at ERA! Glad i am not like them!''

I would find this line transcribed on a thrown away Dave Chapelle pickup line to a far better joke.

If we are going to humorously equate what so funny about this, then we are hovering around Amy Schumer levels of funny ness.

And if that is your forte, then why not. Different strokes for different blokes. But it is Amy Schumer.

So the question really is: Do you want to be Amy Schumer, or do you want to be Dave Chapelle?

This was 1.5 years ago. Does one really have to tell others about things your ex is doing that later down the line? That hardly constitutes moving on.

I get that you would want to air your frustration initially, but at some point, that argument cannot hold water.

The equivalent would be keeping an eye over your ex on the kinds of people he/she will date afterwards.

The damage has been done, i think this has been acknowledged enough now. The rebuildup is in progress. The Way Forward.

If we're sticking with the 'Ex lover' theme, are you playing the role of the beta best-friend who sticks up for the former lover while secretly trying to get into their pants?

Because your impassioned defenses seem to reflect that.
I don't get why often when we have this point, the counterpoint are variations on essentially saying ''Basically you want to get back to ERA.'' which is such a dead eye point to make. Not everyone making nuance or appealing for introspection automatically want to return to ERA.

Papa

Banned

I would find this line transcribed on a thrown away Dave Chapelle pickup line to a far better joke.

If we are going to humorously equate what so funny about this, then we are hovering around Amy Schumer levels of funny ness.

And if that is your forte, then why not. Different strokes for different blokes. But it is Amy Schumer.

So the question really is: Do you want to be Amy Schumer, or do you want to be Dave Chapelle?

This was 1.5 years ago. Does one really have to tell others about things your ex is doing that later down the line? That hardly constitutes moving on.

I get that you would want to air your frustration initially, but at some point, that argument cannot hold water.

The equivalent would be keeping an eye over your ex on the kinds of people he/she will date afterwards.

The damage has been done, i think this has been acknowledged enough now. The rebuildup is in progress. The Way Forward.

I don't get why often when we have this point, the counterpoint are variations on essentially saying ''Basically you want to get back to ERA.'' which is such a dead eye point to make. Not everyone making nuance or appealing for introspection automatically want to return to ERA.

Weren’t you chronicling their behaviour for like a year until you revealed your own self as a little helper?

mcjmetroid

I agree in general but some of the posts are really funny.
At least we CAN talk about them though. I wouldn't be suprised if a person linked to a neogaf thread got banned.

Redneckerz

Weren’t you chronicling their behaviour for like a year until you revealed your own self as a little helper?
True, but i always maintained the nuance that its not everyone at ERA or GAF that is loopsided, hence the Little helper theme of which i am not part of it. And you know that very well, but the idea that people can have multiple sentiments is aloof. I have also admitted on numerous occassions that yes, i contributed to that sentiment, so i am not sure why you are asking this question, because i am not hiding that fact.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
There seems to be a widespread tone-deafness among ERA defenders, yourself included (as matt404 pointed out), when it comes to the matter of irony.

It's not about "wanting to return to ERA". It's irony. Just like it would be ironic for our resident Scholar of the Collapse -- you -- to look over the rim of your glasses disapprovingly at others who are talking about ERA, it is ironic for someone to preach about how GAF should "be its own thing" while disapproving of one of the most obvious characteristics of GAF being its own thing: open dialogue.

We have a politics board where user talk about the governments of countries across the ocean, and talk about cultures they've never encountered except through the internet. Why is it unusual for a forum to talk about a far closer group of individuals that had a far greater impact on the community here?

I don't think people should obsess over it. However, Reeeee stuff only leaks into other threads on rare occasion. Political stuff (SJW and anti-SJW wars, political bias, "pushing an agenda", ideological sparring, etc) leaks into threads at a far higher frequency and at a far higher volume.

We are Gaf>Internet>Gaf. We have grown the site without stealing from them and they have even stolen some of our threads. Shame Op shame.

We are fine and don't need to "mirror" threads for any reason.

Barnabot

We are Gaf>Internet>Gaf. We have grown the site without stealing from them and they have even stolen some of our threads. Shame Op shame.

We are fine and don't need to "mirror" threads for any reason.
I remember seeing someone there stealing your motto Afro, and rephrasing it.
ERA>Internet>ERA

Redneckerz

There seems to be a widespread tone-deafness among ERA defenders, yourself included (as matt404 pointed out), when it comes to the matter of irony.

It's not about "wanting to return to ERA". It's irony. Just like it would be ironic for our resident Scholar of the Collapse -- you -- to look over the rim of your glasses disapprovingly at others who are talking about ERA, it is ironic for someone to preach about how GAF should "be its own thing" while disapproving of one of the most obvious characteristics of GAF being its own thing: open dialogue.
Before ill respond, ill have to point these two things out:
  1. Firstly, i am not defending ERA. That seems as always a usual point set in stone before dialogue commences, but it is not the case.
  2. Secondly, yes, i have been the Scholar of the Collapse (Fitting title) and the unofficial chronicler of ERA's history. I am not sure why this has to be reiterated, nor does that imply bias, rather, an open mind.
  3. Lastly, i am also not disapproving of the open dialogue that of GAF. What makes you think this? Do i need to voice, like everyone else, that yes, atleast on GAF you can debate certain issues that would never stand a stance in an average ERA thread? Because i am certainly willing to, it just seems to me that this is known and therefore does not need extra underlining.
We have a politics board where user talk about the governments of countries across the ocean, and talk about cultures they've never encountered except through the internet. Why is it unusual for a forum to talk about a far closer group of individuals that had a far greater impact on the community here?
Because that said group has split off and is on its own ship going to a different island, like GAF is heading to its own. And don't get me wrong, the initial setback obviously spurred interest talking about what has happened - equivalent to reading the ships logs to find out who in the past was the crew of this vessel.

But constantly looking back at those logs for fun or to look over at how things were done, does not mean you are heading off in your own direction. It means being stuck looking at the past whilst trying to balance the new crew with this same vessel.

No doubt that you need to look for guidelines on what to do and what not to do. But at some point you have to steer on your own, and not look back, atleast not as much as now. It has been 1.5 years. If after 1.5 years you still need to look into those logs and by radar keep track of the other ship that is the USS ERAdia, then you are too focussed in my eyes on that other ship, and not with plotting a direction for your own crew, even though yes, you do work on this from time to time as is apparent with the various big updates and the uptick in activity.

I didn't mean to have this be a visual analogy, but so be it.

Papa

Banned
  1. Firstly, i am not defending ERA. That seems as always a usual point set in stone before dialogue commences, but it is not the case.
  2. Secondly, yes, i have been the Scholar of the Collapse (Fitting title) and the unofficial chronicler of ERA's history. I am not sure why this has to be reiterated, nor does that imply bias, rather, an open mind.
  3. Lastly, i am also not disapproving of the open dialogue that of GAF. What makes you think this? Do i need to voice, like everyone else, that yes, atleast on GAF you can debate certain issues that would never stand a stance in an average ERA thread? Because i am certainly willing to, it just seems to me that this is known and therefore does not need extra underlining.

Because that said group has split off and is on its own ship going to a different island, like GAF is heading to its own. And don't get me wrong, the initial setback obviously spurred interest talking about what has happened - equivalent to reading the ships logs to find out who in the past was the crew of this vessel.

But constantly looking back at those logs for fun or to look over at how things were done, does not mean you are heading off in your own direction. It means being stuck looking at the past whilst trying to balance the new crew with this same vessel.

No doubt that you need to look for guidelines on what to do and what not to do. But at some point you have to steer on your own, and not look back, atleast not as much as now. It has been 1.5 years. If after 1.5 years you still need to look into those logs and by radar keep track of the other ship that is the USS ERAdia, then you are too focussed in my eyes on that other ship, and not with plotting a direction for your own crew, even though yes, you do work on this from time to time as is apparent with the various big updates and the uptick in activity.

...you think we’re looking to Ree for guidance?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

My opinion is there doesn't need to be a gauge or tone-policiing on how much "ERA conversation" takes place on GAF as long as it doesn't leak into all the other threads on the site. As a point of comparison, so-called "SJW stuff" leaks into far more threads and is a far more invasive weed.

I do not see the situation as two ships going their own different way. I don't view the Collapse as a "setback". I do not view ERA and GAF as inhabitants of two different islands with two post-modernism-equalized ideologies running them. ERA was a pirate crew that subverted the culture and direction of the site, leveraged it for political reasons, and then discarded GAF when their efforts weren't accelerating as fast as they wanted.

Looking back at the ship logs -- whether for fun or how things were done -- is absolutely essential for heading off in your own direction. It does not necessarily mean you are stuck in the past. It may also mean you are trying to chart a course to a different island. Avoiding the same behaviors that sent ERA off to their own island seems like a sensible approach.

If GAF is "steering on its own", orienting the forum is important. When trying to orient yourself, you use wisdom as well as landmarks to head in a good direction while avoiding the shipwreck areas.

On the horizon, a GAFer can observe billowing clouds of smoke from the "corporate shilling" islands that got set on fire during the Adam Orth debacle. The forum has learned how to sniff out this kind of smoke a bit better than before.

There are more billowing clouds of smoke from the "journalist sycophant cabal" islands that got set on fire when the embedded GAF journalists showed their true colors a year and a half ago. This forum has learned how to sniff out this kind of smoke a bit better, too.

And there is a giant pirate city on the horizon -- populated by the same looters who threw this forum into disarray -- that appears to be ripping itself apart. It makes sense that GAF would keep itself informed of how other communities are behaving, whether that's ERA or Reddit or Facebook or whoever.

Redneckerz

...you think we’re looking to Ree for guidance?
Guidelines and Guidance are two different things. You read too fast in this instance.

My opinion is there doesn't need to be a gauge or tone-policiing on how much "ERA conversation" takes place on GAF as long as it doesn't leak into all the other threads on the site. As a point of comparison, so-called "SJW stuff" leaks into far more threads and is a far more invasive weed.
Perhaps i am correlating SJW stuff with ERA stuff, and yes, of the former there is more - But its not that ERA stuff leaks to other threads. In that, it is pretty self-contained. Its more the intensity/popularity of it, not just here, but on the Discord aswell. But SJW topics are also apparent there, so to someone who is not well-active in these, they would only see two main topics on which there is discussion - SJW stuff, and ERA stuff.

I do not see the situation as two ships going their own different way. I don't view the Collapse as a "setback". I do not view ERA and GAF as inhabitants of two different islands with two post-modernism-equalized ideologies running them. ERA was a pirate crew that subverted the culture and direction of the site, leveraged it for political reasons, and then discarded GAF when their efforts weren't accelerating as fast as they wanted.
So, what would ERA be then in terms of inhabitants? Occupying one and the same island, just different corners of it? Or how should i view this?

Looking back at the ship logs -- whether for fun or how things were done -- is absolutely essential for heading off in your own direction. It does not necessarily mean you are stuck in the past. It may also mean you are trying to chart a course to a different island. Avoiding the same behaviors that sent ERA off to their own island seems like a sensible approach.
I am saying that its no issue to look at the logs initially, but i am saying that if after 1.5 years you still need to get by those logs and you keep the position of the ERA vessel constantly on your radar, that you aren't as moving on as you perhaps said you and wanted as such. This is an important distinction.

If GAF is "steering on its own", orienting the forum is important. When trying to orient yourself, you use wisdom as well as landmarks to head in a good direction while avoiding the shipwreck areas.
If i head from England to Australia with France inbetween in a straight line (Hypothetically) at some point i may want to not look at England anymore but set my eyes to France and Australia. I think this is the best visual summary i can give to you.

It makes sense that GAF would keep itself informed of how other communities are behaving, whether that's ERA or Reddit or Facebook or whoever.
But its not about informing yourself. Its about having fun and laughing at them. Its about showing how much better we (GAF) are and constantly pointing this out.

And then there are the pirates that come back from the ERA island. Some are rightfully doubtful, and others are simply trying to score a cheap shot as former ERA residents. But after the initial greeting period (or mockery period, whenever its a pirate looking for a gotcha) every single one is witness to the actual daily routine here, and that may not be as positive as the greeting period may make it about to be. In other words, there is a disconnect between the happy mappy times when someone arrives at the beach of the island, and how it actually goes on in the jungle in the middle of the island, where animals fling with shit and wear clown masks all day, speaking rather hyperbolically.

This not only affects greenhorns, but also seasoned posters. I don't think that saying to both to just deal with it is invitational or motivational enough that they will stay.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Guidelines and Guidance are two different things. You read too fast in this instance.

Perhaps i am correlating SJW stuff with ERA stuff, and yes, of the former there is more - But its not that ERA stuff leaks to other threads. In that, it is pretty self-contained. Its more the intensity/popularity of it, not just here, but on the Discord aswell. But SJW topics are also apparent there, so to someone who is not well-active in these, they would only see two main topics on which there is discussion - SJW stuff, and ERA stuff.

So, what would ERA be then in terms of inhabitants? Occupying one and the same island, just different corners of it? Or how should i view this?
This would be the best analogy I can draw:

220px-LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg

I am saying that its no issue to look at the logs initially, but i am saying that if after 1.5 years you still need to get by those logs and you keep the position of the ERA vessel constantly on your radar, that you aren't as moving on as you perhaps said you and wanted as such. This is an important distinction.
We can only stretch the analogy so far. What is the impetus for "moving on"? Who determines the pace? I think this is a fascinating but ultimately useless distinction. The problem -- one might go as far as to say the danger -- of ERA is that it is still an active biological outbreak that can infect others.

Keeping a group in quarantine often necessitates a lot of conversation and observation concerning that group.

If i head from England to Australia with France inbetween in a straight line (Hypothetically) at some point i may want to not look at England anymore but set my eyes to France and Australia. I think this is the best visual summary i can give to you.

But its not about informing yourself. Its about having fun and laughing at them. Its about showing how much better we (GAF) are and constantly pointing this out.
People grapple with it in many different ways. Do you think it's important to curtail people who are "having fun and laughing at them"? Do you think it's important to promote more having fun and laughing at them instead of discussing the more serious implications of the situation?

It would stand to reason that folks from different walks of life would have a different take (or no take at all) on the collapse and the pirate-empire ERA.

And then there are the pirates that come back from the ERA island. Some are rightfully doubtful, and others are simply trying to score a cheap shot as former ERA residents. But after the initial greeting period (or mockery period, whenever its a pirate looking for a gotcha) every single one is witness to the actual daily routine here, and that may not be as positive as the greeting period may make it about to be. In other words, there is a disconnect between the happy mappy times when someone arrives at the beach of the island, and how it actually goes on in the jungle in the middle of the island, where animals fling with shit and wear clown masks all day, speaking rather hyperbolically.

This not only affects greenhorns, but also seasoned posters. I don't think that saying to both to just deal with it is invitational or motivational enough that they will stay.
This only matters if "ERA stuff" is leaking out into other threads, but I do not think that is the case. As mentioned before "SJW stuff" is a far more invasive weed.

If someone shows up, sees a drama thread about ERA, and leaves GAF as a result, good riddance. If you can't handle the background static of internet drama and immaturity, you'll never be able to build a community that rises above it.

I'm not worried about the "optics" of how our ERA threads might appear to the outside, to put an even finer point on it, and I'd challenge anyone to convince me that we should care more about how others might view GAF's conversations about ERA than we should care about ERA itself...

Last edited:

Redneckerz

This would be the best analogy I can draw:

220px-LordOfTheFliesBookCover.jpg
Have not read that. (yet)

We can only stretch the analogy so far. What is the impetus for "moving on"? Who determines the pace? I think this is a fascinating but ultimately useless distinction.
I go by the older posts that were saying that eventually, we must move on and that the dedicated thread on it was to be closed within a month. This never happened.

As it stands now, moving on indeed has little value when there is no actual moving going on. :messenger_savoring:

The problem -- one might go as far as to say the danger -- of ERA is that it is still an active biological outbreak that can infect others.
I don't think that this is the case. I think the reason it remains hostile is because of the validation that is given to them whenever they are discussed. Most sane outlets have a negative imagery of ERA, and that imagery is brought up by the small group of staff people who deliberately push it in that direction. As always, every policy has its fans, and as such, what is shared about ERA are often the most vocal and extreme parts. That does not say anything for the rest of the people there. The opposite occurs aswell: Whenever there is a mention of GAF that is not outright deleted, its often about the more extreme takes and the most vocal people.

People grapple with it in many different ways.
But if that's their main source of entertainment and its shown as such, then you don't move on. Then you cling on enjoying that old saw, the saw being ERA.

Do you think it's important to curtail people who are "having fun and laughing at them"? Do you think it's important to promote more having fun and laughing at them instead of discussing the more serious implications of the situation?
  1. I wouldn't want to curtail them, i would rather appeal to their own decisionmaking skills and that yeah, we ought to move on.
  2. On a more global level, the more serious implications could be discussed, in a general sense. On the whole, there should be a better balance of quality threads over quantity posts, and i know this isn't sole person's sentiment.
This only matters if "ERA stuff" is leaking out into other threads, but I do not think that is the case. As mentioned before "SJW stuff" is a far more invasive weed.

If someone shows up, sees a drama thread about ERA, and leaves GAF as a result, good riddance. If you can't handle the background static of internet drama and immaturity, you'll never be able to build a community that rises above it.
Yeah, but what i am getting at, is that at the end of it all, people will experience that disconnect. I don't think you can endlessly wave the point that GAF is more transparent - it is. But at the same time, a lot of its deckmates look back from the shipwreck - 1.5 years on.

And as for leaving GAF: This isn't only about people looking for a cheap shot or trying to test the water, long lasting posters are also involved.

I'm not worried about the "optics" of how our ERA threads might appear to the outside, to put an even finer point on it, and I'd challenge anyone to convince me that we should care more about how others might view GAF's conversations about ERA than we should care about ERA itself...
Tis the only vessel we have, captain. We better check the engine rooms ourselves instead of somehow hoping that the other vessel that they fled from will do it one day..

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Have not read that. (yet)

I go by the older posts that were saying that eventually, we must move on and that the dedicated thread on it was to be closed within a month. This never happened.

As it stands now, moving on indeed has little value when there is no actual moving going on. :messenger_savoring:

I don't think that this is the case. I think the reason it remains hostile is because of the validation that is given to them whenever they are discussed. Most sane outlets have a negative imagery of ERA, and that imagery is brought up by the small group of staff people who deliberately push it in that direction. As always, every policy has its fans, and as such, what is shared about ERA are often the most vocal and extreme parts. That does not say anything for the rest of the people there. The opposite occurs aswell: Whenever there is a mention of GAF that is not outright deleted, its often about the more extreme takes and the most vocal people.

But if that's their main source of entertainment and its shown as such, then you don't move on. Then you cling on enjoying that old saw, the saw being ERA.

1. I wouldn't want to curtail them, i would rather appeal to their own decisionmaking skills and that yeah, we ought to move on.
  2. On a more global level, the more serious implications could be discussed, in a general sense. On the whole, there should be a better balance of quality threads over quantity posts, and i know this isn't sole person's sentiment.

Yeah, but what i am getting at, is that at the end of it all, people will experience that disconnect. I don't think you can endlessly wave the point that GAF is more transparent - it is. But at the same time, a lot of its deckmates look back from the shipwreck - 1.5 years on.

And as for leaving GAF: This isn't only about people looking for a cheap shot or trying to test the water, long lasting posters are also involved.

Tis the only vessel we have, captain. We better check the engine rooms ourselves instead of somehow hoping that the other vessel that they fled from will do it one day..
I'll repeat the same question that you seem to be dancing around:

What is the impetus for "moving on"? GAF isn't held back in any way by a minority of users openly discussing the collapse. Quite the opposite: one might argue it helps GAF move forward faster and in a clearer direction.

Actually, an even better question is what is the rationale behind the small group of posters who seem to bristle at the (relatively) tiny amount of conversation on GAF concerning ERA?

Why is there nearly as much meta-commentary on whether or not GAF should talk about ERA as there is commentary on ERA itself? This is what gives me the overall impression of "defending ERA", even if the individual users aren't intending it that way.

What are you guys even arguing about?

Is not an ex-girl theme.

Posters like Papa Papa are entertained by shit posting about era.

It's as simple as that. It's pure entertainment until one day they get bored of it. It's not about anything more.

Last edited by a moderator:

Texas Pride

Banned
I think theres a reason the communities are separated and it's bcs our differences are sanity vs insanity. Keep their bullshit over there and ours here. They ban multiple people per day over there and we no doubt get those REEtreads over here once they realize the grass isn't greener in fantasy land. If you want closed discussions & identity politics with a side of racism & anti semitism you go over there. If you want actual discussion on topics without the hive mind mentality and thought control you come over here. What you're asking is for this forum to entertain the other sites topics I.E be like them. They wouldn't entertain our opinions much less our topics so why in the fuck would we?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

I'll repeat the same question that you seem to be dancing around:

What is the impetus for "moving on"? GAF isn't held back in any way by a minority of users openly discussing the collapse. Quite the opposite: one might argue it helps GAF move forward faster and in a clearer direction.
I literally answered this already, so i am not sure why you say that im dancing around it. If that situation has been changed, then this was not communicated obviously.

Edit: Ah, now i see what you mean with impetus. What the drive should be for moving on? Well, i would say a leap towards own identity, perhaps. If you don't, then in the public eye you remain a has been, a shell of the past.

Actually, an even better question is what is the rationale behind the small group of posters who seem to bristle at the (relatively) tiny amount of conversation on GAF concerning ERA?
It works in tandem with the quality of threads. On a day by day level, would you say that its inviting? I cannot make further commentary on this because that will stray away from the topic at hand.

Why is there nearly as much meta-commentary on whether or not GAF should talk about ERA as there is commentary on ERA itself? This is what gives me the overall impression of "defending ERA", even if the individual users aren't intending it that way.
Is that so? Because in my impression, that does not seem nearly the case.

Fbh

I don't see why you'd need to go get threads from Era.
Just like here, 99% of their news are just copied from some gaming news site or interview. You can just go to the original source and post it here

If there's actually some news or leak that originated from Era I don't see anything wrong in posting it here either

Tesseract

Banned

oh please dude, all i said was it's funny, and all the above is pretty ripe coming you of all fucking people

Last edited:

Redneckerz

oh please dude, all i said was it's funny, and all the above is pretty ripe coming you of all fucking people
To my defence, my cite to you contained a slight humorous undertone. I mean, Dave Chapelle. Come on. Amy Schumer is even more known here. :p

And yes, it is pretty ripe coming from me. Not like that i haven't mentioned that already in this thread, so i reckon the smiley you got didn't know this either.

Edit:

GAF has its own identity. As part of that identity, we'll discuss what we choose to, without RedneckEra attempting to police and shut down threads like this one (while simultaneously talking about Reset himself in another thread).
That is a perfect summary of the points brought forward, but no. If you truly think i am trying to shut down this thread, then yeah, that's not what i was discussing. If DunDun could do it, then i don't see why you couldn't.

Nice off-thread link by the way, you may want to read why that was posted (An addendum to a different gif) instead of bringing it forward as an example of ''See? He still posts about it so he is accomplice!''. If that post was not made, it wouldn't have changed a difference to your post.

Register another account if you haven't already and go back home to your masters, Red.
And this is just a full-on cancellation of all points made and shows you didn't read it wholesale. I guess i should make it clear once more - I don't grave a return to ERA. Please.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
To my defence, my cite to you contained a slight humorous undertone. I mean, Dave Chapelle. Come on. Amy Schumer is even more known here. :p

And yes, it is pretty ripe coming from me. Not like that i haven't mentioned that already in this thread, so i reckon the smiley you got didn't know this either.

eh fair enough, my retort is a larry david heart attack!

30f8aba.gif

Top Bottom