• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The idea of Reeethreads

CJY

Banned
Let’s be honest, Reee has a lot more activity on their gaming forums than here these days, but I really hate posting over there.

Without the likes feature, there are just too many silly hot takes and it feels like much more of an echo chamber.

Yet, I get a lot of newsie information from there, so I wanted to pitch the idea of a “Reeethread”. Just interesting threads pulled wholesale from that forum and resposted on GAF.

How would you feel about that? Is it an act of plagiarism? I mean, nobody is really profiting from it so it should be kosher right?

Might help bring more active discussion to GAF. And let’s be honest, there are some quality posters over there too. Regardless of their stance on many political topics.

What say you GAF [mods]?

JimiNutz

Banned
I don't see a problem with posting similar threads if they interest you and you want to discuss them. I don't see why Ree have to be acknowledged at all when doing so either.

If I read something on the internet and I want to repost it I rarely state the original source anyway, especially if it's something I've read on a forum.

mcjmetroid

The only thing I miss from resetera is the occasional "insider" giving hints about gaming info etc.
Not enough to go back there though.
And occasionally it comes off as smarmy when they do it in a "I know something you don't know" kinda childish way.

But generally news is news. Resetera take those pieces from news sites anyway so we'll likely be posting the same things.

Are you only asking GAF Staff. If so I’ll delete my response but...

That’s a solid no imo.

Why not contribute to making GAF the type of place you want it to be instead of stealing from another site.

Although I do laugh a little with “stealception” since the whole site is attempting to replicate what was here.

But we still have the soul.

Maybe start a list of things you want to improve here? And we can all start trying to get them done?

entremet

I know the communities will be forever intertwined, but I think GAF needs to focus on building its own identity. There is already the stickied offsite thread and other ERA related threads.

After a while, you don't want to become a Captain Hook, a character whose whole reason for being was to oppose Peter Pan.

I post and read both sites. Both sites have their strengths and weaknesses. There are no perfect communities--online or off.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned

That’s a solid no imo.

Why not contribute to making GAF the type of place you want it to be instead of stealing from another site.

Although I do laugh a little with “stealception” since the whole site is attempting to replicate what was here.

Maybe start a list of things you want to improve here? And we can all start trying to get them done?
I’m asking GAF in general, not just the mods. I appreciate your thoughts, will keep it in mind and have a think about it.

Also, lol @ stealception.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Let’s be honest, Reee has a lot more activity on their gaming forums than here these days, but I really hate posting over there.

Without the likes feature, there are just too many silly hot takes and it feels like much more of an echo chamber.

Yet, I get a lot of newsie information from there, so I wanted to pitch the idea of a “Reeethread”. Just interesting threads pulled wholesale from that forum and resposted on GAF.

How would you feel about that? Is it an act of plagiarism? I mean, nobody is really profiting from it so it should be kosher right?

Might help bring more active discussion to GAF. And let’s be honest, there are some quality posters over there too. Regardless of their stance on many political topics.

What say you GAF [mods]?
All that would do is showcase that we are creatively bankrupt, so PR wise its not a good look.

Its also rather disrespectful towards the author, even when its copyright free. When i write news, and admittely, this is often from ERA and not GAF, i always rewrite it in my own words and add specific details to it that the ERA thread does not have.

On the other end, a lot of proper informative threads go unnoticed because there is a tendency to focus on quick reactionary threads. I am not saying that's the main problem, but i am saying that it does not raise the quality of the threads sitewide.

So no, i wouldn't appreciate a wholesale reposting like that, even though i am aware that we do rehost news from other sources like EG and the like.

So basically, what you are saying is an appeal to take ERA seriously as a newsfeed, at the cost of indirectly admitting that GAF isn't that newsfeed anymore.

Is that what you would want?

Barnabot

Are you talking about quality of their threads?

Or are you talking about the "bigot alerts" threads?
Or the threads complaining about some games having whiteish chars?
Or the threads about someone wanting your attention to help him to like the game he's not enjoying?
Or some thread about some user wishing he could have a Switch Pro and which spec should it have?

EDIT:
Or some thread whining about fictional char being too hot/sexualized for their tastes?
Or some thread whining about a game the OP doesn't like so he's asking to boycott the game because his fragile ego must be protected?

Those are only the gaming side of that forum.Every day. So are you talking about quality, OP?

Last edited:
I’m asking GAF in general, not just the mods. I appreciate your thoughts, will keep it in mind and have a think about it.

Also, lol @ stealception.
I am really excited for the next big update for NeoGAF.

We have great members doing great stuff here. cormack12 cormack12 and bitbydeath bitbydeath have made really great OT's for example.

But if I am being honest, OT's themselves feel years out of date. Having multiple conversations going makes it hard (or at least exhausting) to follow conversations. I see the next big update changing that.

Overall I think it makes someone like me who loves this community and invests their time in it more willing, excited, and rewarding to invest.

REE is gaming for millennials; complain, moan, point out the lack of diversity, but don't play games.

GAF is gaming for gamers; Opinions, fanboy wars, discussions and playing games.

I haven't and never will visit that shitty forum after those members ruined GAF a few years ago. IMO GAF is better for going through that period, it's just a shame it ever happened at all.

As for viewer figures? People like me thought GAF was dead/unsalvageable, but here I am and here we are.

People will come flocking back here when E3 starts because people want a gaming forum to discuss games on. Doubly so because of the impeding release of new consoles.

REE is gaming for millennials; complain, moan, point out the lack of diversity, but don't play games.

I haven't and never will visit that shitty forum after those members ruined GAF a few years ago. IMO GAF is better for going through that period, it's just a shame it ever happened at all.

As for viewer figures? People like me thought GAF was dead/unsalvageable, but here I am and here we are.

People will come flocking back here when E3 starts because people want a gaming forum to discuss games on. Doubly so because of the impeding release of new consoles.

Ironically there are still many threads here whining about the same shit resetera whines about, just on the opposite side of the spectrum. People here are obsessed with that place, it's bizarre.

Ironically there are still many threads here whining about the same shit resetera whines about, just on the opposite side of the spectrum. People here are obsessed with that place, it's bizarre.

I usually avoid those threads. Although some of the clown-world stuff does get a chuckle out of me, even if some it is a bit extreme.

On the whole though, GAF shouldn't worry about Reee. Just the same as when the NEOFAG forum was made on reddit(then banned for some reason?) then Voat. they spent all of their time and energy talking about neogaf. 90% of was just whining about being banned.

Papa

Banned

They think we’re Nazis; we think they’re clowns. One is an existential threat; the other is something to be pointed and laughed at. I hope you can understand the difference.

Barnabot

I want a “Why women complain about sexy game character”. When I still visited ResetERA, that was where I got the best tips on which games to play.
Wanna join a show about someone complaining about how big Tifa's breast are?

33O8zR1.png

bucyou

Nah, theres a thread to discuss the batshit stuff over there already.

If its news related, be a member of the community and make a thread!

Antoon

Banned
I already did that weeks ago, stole all their posts regarding Disney stealing other peoples works. Fitting theme, I know.

Its perfectly fine to copy/paste their threads or posts, its only sharing so its all good.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’d rather GAF users post their own threads and ideas. When I first came back here everything on page 1 was a week old. Traffic has been gradually picking up since then and is looking good. Better to keep along that path.

Most news on Ree is taken from Reddit and other places. There’s nothing to stop GAFers from grabbing new gaming news from the real source and posting it here. We have most of the bigger stories covered usually.

Nymphae

Banned
If it's a topic worth discussing, someone should just start a thread here. It's a bit pathetic to just be pulling topics from another board and going "What do we think about what these guys are saying?" You either want to talk to them, or us. I'm tired of the Resetera fascination honestly. You're on Gaf to talk to Gaf. Let's just forget that place.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Topics aren't the problem here, it's people not starting threads. But it's getting better. Much better. Especially if you stuck round in the initial aftermath. Reset is trending downwards. It's far from what GAF was and as such this is more true than you realise:

Most news on Ree is taken from Reddit and other places. There’s nothing to stop GAFers from grabbing new gaming news from the real source and posting it here. We have most of the bigger stories covered usually.

You can go on subs now and get more current data on loads of games etc. GAF was amazing at breaking the news in its heydey. Era is just a timely aggregator but it's still not what it used to be. Not every thread has an audience here either. I think someone tried recreating the sexualised women thread. Only one of the sites is on OT2 and constantly front page....

Most of the verifieds are either affiliated loosely with games or make an appearance briefly then never return but people like to imagine the place is crawling with real people. ow about those frequent Q&A with all the top dogs and developers that followed them as well? Ooops.

h7u621m.png

7q2XNzn.png

There's probably more discussion in that vr thread on gaf in 5 pages, than you'll find in the 12 or so pages it wouldn't generate there. Our thread doesn't have the same level or intensity of driveby posts, one liners or lisa simpson syndrome. GAF isn't perfect but as Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese says there are more updates coming and it sounds like they're going to change how a standard forum is fit together. There's no doubt a lot of reset posters who come back to gaf and read some threads as well, just get involved and have a chat :)

Papa

Banned
Topics aren't the problem here, it's people not starting threads. But it's getting better. Much better. Especially if you stuck round in the initial aftermath. Reset is trending downwards. It's far from what GAF was and as such this is more true than you realise:

You can go on subs now and get more current data on loads of games etc. GAF was amazing at breaking the news in its heydey. Era is just a timely aggregator but it's still not what it used to be. Not every thread has an audience here either. I think someone tried recreating the sexualised women thread. Only one of the sites is on OT2 and constantly front page....

Most of the verifieds are either affiliated loosely with games or make an appearance briefly then never return but people like to imagine the place is crawling with real people. ow about those frequent Q&A with all the top dogs and developers that followed them as well? Ooops.

h7u621m.png

7q2XNzn.png

There's probably more discussion in that vr thread on gaf in 5 pages, than you'll find in the 12 or so pages it wouldn't generate there. Our thread doesn't have the same level or intensity of driveby posts, one liners or lisa simpson syndrome. GAF isn't perfect but as Musky_Cheese Musky_Cheese says there are more updates coming and it sounds like they're going to change how a standard forum is fit together. There's no doubt a lot of reset posters who come back to gaf and read some threads as well, just get involved and have a chat :)

With the advent of twitter I can’t see either GAF or Ree getting back to the old glory days of breaking news and insider scoops. The world has changed. I think they will remain hobbyist forums but maybe it’s for the best.

I joined GAF in 2013 but I haven’t been on here for the past few years. A lot of people I recognise like Amir0x have dissapeared and whole lot of new faces around. So eh.... wtf happened?

I joined GAF in 2013 but I haven’t been on here for the past few years. A lot of people I recognise like Amir0x have dissapeared and whole lot of new faces around. So eh.... wtf happened?
Erm...i'll answer, but I might be banned?

Amirox, long time suspected pedophile of a group called Neofag, made up entirely of banned members and ex-long term gaffers, finally got the proof they needed when a member of law enforcement in Amirox's hometown took notice. Some of the mods/owners handed over all of the information to this informant and he started to look into Amirox who had already been convicted for assault, drug use etc.

Anyway, turns out he was a complete pedo. He's in jail now, probably getting his skull pushed down in the dark by a Big Bubba.

Meanwhile, at the Gaf HQ: It was invaded by a bunch of political fascist nut jobs (who went on to create Restera). These nut jobs, with the black jesus Bishoptl at the helm went on a complete power-trip of banning everybody who wasn't a tranny shagging Trump hater. They even banned people for saying they didn't find Laura Kate Dale (literally a man in a wig) attractive.

This all came to a head at some point after the Amirox incident. This forum was targeted by the pedo-police that went after Amirox. Lots of members and mods bailed. Possibly, but this is speculation, because they shared material or knew of the material that amirox had.

This next bit is iffy but from what I can piece together: Tyler Malka, owner of Gaf, who left the forum in the 'trusting' hands of the moderators was enjoying life a young entrepreneur, seeing the world and enjoying himself while trying to improve the back end cyber stuff of Neogaf. Unfortunately for him he was completely fucked over. This wasn't a complete disaster as Tyler pre-shutdown was, well...you'll of seen the threads. Tyler post-shutdown is like Tyler 3.0. His interactions with the forum are more frequent, funnier and well laid out. Props to the guy for coming through a pretty damaging time that has, in the past, sunk many a business.

Anyway, the forum went on hiatus until shit was sorted. It came back last year or the year before, better than ever with a better forum, better people and none of the crazy banning shit that used to go on.

To prove that GAF is back to the best, may I recommend checking out the butt thread.

If anybody else wants to chime in to correct/complete bits I've missed, that would be great.

They think we’re Nazis; we think they’re clowns. One is an existential threat; the other is something to be pointed and laughed at. I hope you can understand the difference.

I find the idea of digitally beefing forums simultaneously hilarious and depressing.

Reactions: CJY
I reckon that people want to feel better about themselves. ''Thankfully, i am not a REEdiot like they are.''

Ironically I've seen people here mock that same narcissistic dopamine shot like behaviour that social media instigates. And yet....it appears the same behaviour is prevalent here....throwing stones in glass houses and all that....

NickFire

That’s a solid no imo.

Nothing wrong with posting about same news stories if someone has time to make threads. In fact, I would bet in many cases a few people in the threads over there would criticize the takes over here, resulting in a few more checking out the takes over here, and then jumping in because they realize they can actually say what they are thinking here without some mod accusing them of downplaying x, history of y, etc.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd rank Ree a hair above GameFAQs: a good repository of information with an infantile community running it. That isn't anything special in 2019, though. We have those aplenty. When Resetera split off, it took all of the generic mid-2010s normie internet mindset with it. The bulk of their threads -- and the bulk of their responses -- are one- or two-sentence quips with little substance. Reset is an adjunct for Facebook-quality content, but branded with 'Gaming Community'.

Post-split GAF is kinda-sorta perfect now. Over the past 5 or 6 years, the forum was inoculated against astroturfing and shilling of the corporate and the ideological varieties (Adam Orth debacle, Jason Schrierer and other media sycophants, virtue-signaling ideologues, etc).

The current breadth of opinions and temperments and senses of humor are all better than when I was a member in 2013-2014 (that account was banned for "vilifying games journalism").

I now have confidence that I'll encounter genuine opinion on GAF -- often ones that are unfamiliar to me or that I disagree with -- moreso than pretty much any other forum or gaming site I'm currently a part of.

Repository forums are outdated. Forums that offer a sense of community will thrive.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
RE had the edge only for a few months. It stagnated when the new reign of terror began.
First time I've seen users being afraid to interact with banned users in social media outside the forum for fear of backlash.

Topics may have been more but they all felt the same.
I was more saddened by the fact that once in a while they'd let the reactionary elements vent off to normal users without mod status, so that they could gain the trust of the majority and have more control.
Eg I remember making a thread whether they'd favor more inclusion (lbgt, minorities, disabilities etc) and mature stories in video games by sacrificing gameplay. In some cases this would be unavoidable. I did this mainly to test the waters.
Some comments were straight jout offensive and even a user belonging to lbgt felt offended by those comments. Yet no one was banned or warned in that thread. I concluded they just want to funnel and control people's rage, whether fake or real, only when they see it fit.

I was disgusted by it, especially from the ones who claim to represent those groups.

Saber

Gold Member
I sincerelly have no problem with that, as long its for the sake of discussion. Just don't bring stupid, drama and other pearls threads to here.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Ironically I've seen people here mock that same narcissistic dopamine shot like behaviour that social media instigates. And yet....it appears the same behaviour is prevalent here....throwing stones in glass houses and all that....
You wouldn't be wrong. It is less prevalent though and at the very least you aren't getting these ultra weird penalty messages like ''False equivalency'' when you simply say you will buy that one game that is apparently banned there.

Erm...i'll answer, but I might be banned?

Amirox, long time suspected pedophile of a group called Neofag, made up entirely of banned members and ex-long term gaffers, finally got the proof they needed when a member of law enforcement in Amirox's hometown took notice. Some of the mods/owners handed over all of the information to this informant and he started to look into Amirox who had already been convicted for assault, drug use etc.

Anyway, turns out he was a complete pedo. He's in jail now, probably getting his skull pushed down in the dark by a Big Bubba.

Meanwhile, at the Gaf HQ: It was invaded by a bunch of political fascist nut jobs (who went on to create Restera). These nut jobs, with the black jesus Bishoptl at the helm went on a complete power-trip of banning everybody who wasn't a tranny shagging Trump hater. They even banned people for saying they didn't find Laura Kate Dale (literally a man in a wig) attractive.

This all came to a head at some point after the Amirox incident. This forum was targeted by the pedo-police that went after Amirox. Lots of members and mods bailed. Possibly, but this is speculation, because they shared material or knew of the material that amirox had.

This next bit is iffy but from what I can piece together: Tyler Malka, owner of Gaf, who left the forum in the 'trusting' hands of the moderators was enjoying life a young entrepreneur, seeing the world and enjoying himself while trying to improve the back end cyber stuff of Neogaf. Unfortunately for him he was completely fucked over. This wasn't a complete disaster as Tyler pre-shutdown was, well...you'll of seen the threads. Tyler post-shutdown is like Tyler 3.0. His interactions with the forum are more frequent, funnier and well laid out. Props to the guy for coming through a pretty damaging time that has, in the past, sunk many a business.

Anyway, the forum went on hiatus until shit was sorted. It came back last year or the year before, better than ever with a better forum, better people and none of the crazy banning shit that used to go on.

To prove that GAF is back to the best, may I recommend checking out the butt thread.

If anybody else wants to chime in to correct/complete bits I've missed, that would be great.

Oh holy shit I missed a lot. Shyamalan level plot twist there.

Thanks for the update anyway. Clears up some stuff.

CJY

Banned
Loving all the measured, mature discussion on the state of GAF as it stands today and I'm left feeling very optimistic for the future of GAF.

I think the general consensus is that there is no harm in reposting news threads from Reee, but in essence, that is not necessary, just make a new thread. And if some info is copy pasted from there, there's not much harm in that. I vastly prefer the content of the discussions here, which is why I proposed the Reeethreads in the beginning. I just noticed some people being called out when posting similar threads on both forums. I dunno, maybe it was more to do with the content of those threads and the nature of the opinion shares within those threads rather than specifically being called out for reposting things from that forum.

Anyway, looking forward to spending more time here. This community rocks. Better than the clown world they have going on over there anyway.

JordanN

Banned
Reset can be a borderline terrorist site at times. Neogaf [after the 2017 purge] has never called for assassinations of dissenters.

ECma7KK.jpg

And that number is not pulled out of midair. That is the same number of people who voted for Trump. He wants to kill them all.

hzMcRdb.png

So are we really obsessed, or are we wanting to save our backs from homicidal SJW's?

Last edited:
Top Bottom