• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iDOLM@STER Community |OT| Are you LADY?

kagamin

Well, the majority of the discord servers I'm on don't seem to care if I discuss or post IM@S related stuff even if they don't always engage me in conversation about it lol.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I met an iM@S fan in person once. He asked me who my favourite iDOL was, so I told him "Miki, cos she'd never let others down for selfish reasons!". He spat at me and said if I had had a P card he would have torn it in two.

I've never interacted with the community in rl since.

m0t0k1

I met an iM@S fan in person once. He asked me who my favourite iDOL was, so I told him "Miki, cos she'd never let others down for selfish reasons!". He spat at me and said if I had had a P card he would have torn it in two.

This is why you should never leave the house and just buy a daki of your favourite idol.

PantsuJo

Ok, I recently watched the Im@s Xenoglossia saga.

WTF I have watched? Lol

Aside for the story, I am shocked: some characters are really fucking evil or fool.

Seriously, I have so many questions...

Ok, I recently watched the Im@s Xenoglossia saga.

WTF I have watched? Lol

Aside for the story, I am shocked: some characters are really fucking evil or fool.

Seriously, I have so many questions...
I'm so sorry... I tried watching it with a friend and we couldn't even finish it. The problem is that it's not even laughably bad. Just boring and tedious to watch.

DiGiKerot

Xenoglossia is good.

I say this without a hint of irony.

That said, I think you need a deep grounding in mid-2000s Sunrise productions to get a lot out of it.

PantsuJo

I can't say it's bad... Maybe it's too much ambitious... And some parts are really nonsensical, IMO.

But I've seen worst Anime than this one.
It's an interesting experiment... I mean, 6/10 for me... But maybe this judgment is influenced by the shock of some characters presentation.

Especially *spoiler*
Yukiho was a fucking evil bitch in the second part, incredible

I'm so sorry... I tried watching it with a friend and we couldn't even finish it. The problem is that it's not even laughably bad. Just boring and tedious to watch.

From episode 15 became interesting, I think. But I don't think I will rewatch it.
NEVER, lol

DiGiKerot

I can't say it's bad... Maybe it's too much ambitious... And some parts are really nonsensical, IMO.

But I've seen worst Anime than this one.
It's an interesting experiment... I mean, 6/10 for me... But maybe this judgment is influenced by the shock of some characters presentation.

Especially *spoiler*
Yukiho was a fucking evil bitch in the second part, incredible

I'll spare you the full history lesson, because it's not that interesting, but the thing to bear in mind whilst trying to understand pretty much anything Xenoglossia is doing is the era in which it was made (as well as the fact iM@S only existed as the arcade game at the point, I guess). The popular Sunrise shows of the time where Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, Code Geass, My-HiME and My-ZHiME, and for a twisty as Geass is known to get, all of them share a bunch of common tropes and a common cadence to the flow of the series.

My-HiME and ZHiME are the key here, though - these were made specifically by Sunrise Studio 8, the same studio that was tasked with the production of Xenoglossia (and later were instrumental in this obscure idol cartoon called Love Live). Infact, the original announcement for Xenoglossia explicitly called out the fact that the show was sharing some of the planning staff of ZHiME, which given the nature of the show and how it related back to it's own predecessor, set certain expectations for it.

Specifically, as far as Xenoglossia goes, the entire show is basically taking the common tropes of the popular Sunrise franchises of the time, and subverting them in odd ways. This often meant taking them in the extreme other direction. The get even more specific about Yukiho (and this is why ZHiME is kinda crux here)
she's less a take on iM@S Yukiho than she is basically just Erstin Ho from My-ZHiME. Seriously, she's basically the same character. The twist is that Erstin's plot in ZHiME basically comes out of nowhere - it sudden turns out in one episode that she was raised as part of a religious cult aligned with the shows antagonists, gets involved in a conflict against the heroines, and cops-it in crossfire. The joke, as it were, with Yukiho is that it's hilariously signposted that she's working for the badguys - if you pay attention to the OP, it's clear that she's actually going to be piloting Nubilum. A lot of her dialogue in key episodes carries transparently double-meanings, and there's a bunch of other ways they make it clear what's going on. The way this whole subplot ends up developing - the relative lack of remorse over what's shes doing, despite people like Makoto calling her on it, and the fact she ends up being the final boss is pretty sharply at odds with how torn up Erstin is about what she ends up doing in ZHiME

This isn't in isolation, coincidentally. The whole show is full of stuff like this, and, honestly, most the characters bear more resemblance to those from HiME/ZHiME than they do iM@S. It's own of the reasons why I really like it.

(Though Sunrise 8's follow-up show in this ilk, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space, basically ended up being Sunrise-Injoke: The Series. Favourite moment in that one is where they devote some of the best animation in the entire series to two girls crying over how Pizza Hut is the most delicious thing that they've ever eaten).

PantsuJo

I'll spare you the full history lesson, because it's not that interesting, but the thing to bear in mind whilst trying to understand pretty much anything Xenoglossia is doing is the era in which it was made (as well as the fact iM@S only existed as the arcade game at the point, I guess). The popular Sunrise shows of the time where Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, Code Geass, My-HiME and My-ZHiME, and for a twisty as Geass is known to get, all of them share a bunch of common tropes and a common cadence to the flow of the series.

My-HiME and ZHiME are the key here, though - these were made specifically by Sunrise Studio 8, the same studio that was tasked with the production of Xenoglossia (and later were instrumental in this obscure idol cartoon called Love Live). Infact, the original announcement for Xenoglossia explicitly called out the fact that the show was sharing some of the planning staff of ZHiME, which given the nature of the show and how it related back to it's own predecessor, set certain expectations for it.

Specifically, as far as Xenoglossia goes, the entire show is basically taking the common tropes of the popular Sunrise franchises of the time, and subverting them in odd ways. This often meant taking them in the extreme other direction. The get even more specific about Yukiho (and this is why ZHiME is kinda crux here)
she's less a take on iM@S Yukiho than she is basically just Erstin Ho from My-ZHiME. Seriously, she's basically the same character. The twist is that Erstin's plot in ZHiME basically comes out of nowhere - it sudden turns out in one episode that she was raised as part of a religious cult aligned with the shows antagonists, gets involved in a conflict against the heroines, and cops-it in crossfire. The joke, as it were, with Yukiho is that it's hilariously signposted that she's working for the badguys - if you pay attention to the OP, it's clear that she's actually going to be piloting Nubilum. A lot of her dialogue in key episodes carries transparently double-meanings, and there's a bunch of other ways they make it clear what's going on. The way this whole subplot ends up developing - the relative lack of remorse over what's shes doing, despite people like Makoto calling her on it, and the fact she ends up being the final boss is pretty sharply at odds with how torn up Erstin is about what she ends up doing in ZHiME

This isn't in isolation, coincidentally. The whole show is full of stuff like this, and, honestly, most the characters bear more resemblance to those from HiME/ZHiME than they do iM@S. It's own of the reasons why I really like it.

(Though Sunrise 8's follow-up show in this ilk, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space, basically ended up being Sunrise-Injoke: The Series. Favourite moment in that one is where they devote some of the best animation in the entire series to two girls crying over how Pizza Hut is the most delicious thing that they've ever eaten).
Wow, thanks for the explanation, I didn't know the Sunrise Anime history, this explains a lot.

Also, in the first OP I didn't notice the *details* of Yukiho... And in many scene I was thinking about
the fact that maybe she was timid and "weak" just like her classic Im@s alter ego, unable to reach her friends skills at first... I mean, not plotting a damned betrayal :D
so I didn't pay much attention to the small signs.

Many thanks for the explanation!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You know, since this month was the 10th Anniversary of Xenoglossia, I'm disappointed by the lack of celebratory announcements for it.

Anime Ltd could at least do the decent thing and give us a UK release. If they're willing to release classics like Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star, the least they could do is give us Xenoglossia as well.

Ultimadrago

Well there was the iDOLM@STER crossover in Super Robot Taisen X-Ω.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIehynkps44

Okay, that's cool. Haha.

lolllr76.png

Speaking of which, I don't think I've ever seen the idols interact with each other in the game as much (minus Starlight Stage's scenes).

DiGiKerot

DiGi, is Xenoglossia ever mentioned in passing as a joke or reference in official content? I think that'd be pretty cool.

Not that I can think of, but there's such an insane quantity of iM@S content in existence that it's difficult for any one person to consume it all (especially me these days - I have big blank areas of knowledge), so it's hard to imagine it doesn't exist anywhere.

That said, I kind of suspect Xenoglossia exists in a weird spot - whilst based on iM@S, I think a lot of the copyrights for the show itself (and it's merchandising) probably sit with Sunrise rather than Bamco, so it's probably a bit too much of a pain to negotiate the OK for even dumb gags.

I mean, bear in mind that Xenoglossia aired the same year as the original game was released on the 360, and at the point where the game was starting to roll out it's DLC catalogues. The original game only supported costume DLC, not new songs, so you'd have thought that maybe they'd do a spot of cross-promotion with, say, the school uniform or even the flight suit (well, PE uniform if we're realistic) from the show, but nope.

The show wasn't actually referenced on the official iM@S site for a few years either, though it was added back on when they refreshed it back around (IIRC) the release of One for All. I have a bunch of different publications with timelines of the franchise history - listing things like character and drama CD series releases even - from between the release of 360 iM@S2 and One for All that fail to mention Xenoglossia at all as well. Infact, I think the only one I have which does (which, admittedly, is the most recent) is the English promotional pamphlet they made for conventions in Asia (AFA and the like).

That said, I don't think it's any ill-feelings from anyone at Bamco or anything - that Super Robot Wars cross-over BGBW mentioned was done as part of the wider iM@S 10th Anniversary celebrations, because they realised that they needed to give Xenoglossia props somewhere and it seemed like the most appropriate venue for it. That game has also had regular aniM@S content in the meantime, with an event based around the robot parody from the variety show episode of the series.

Okay, that's cool. Haha.

lolllr76.png

Speaking of which, I don't think I've ever seen the idols interact with each other in the game as much (minus Starlight Stage's scenes).

They didn't really interact much in the games based on the original generation iM@S. There was limited interaction in iM@S2, but it was only really between certain characters and certain members of Ryuuguu Komachi (who, remember, you could only produce in the special mode of PS3 iM@S2).

The thing to bear in mind is that in iM@S1, you were only producing between 1 and 3 idols (depending on your persistent Producer Rank and personal choice), not the entirety of the 765Pro All-Stars. Writing meaningful amounts of bespoke, voiced dialogue for any combination the 9/10 idols (Miki was only in 360, and Ami/Mami counted as one character originally) would have been insane. As such, you only really interacted with your units current Leader, or another character if you picked them for a specific event - whilst characters would appear on screen together, it was only with generic dialogue only addressed directly at the Producer, not each other.

iM@S2 was a similar situation, but as I say, since Ryuuguu were in there outside the realms of what you were producing, they included those characters within certain idols story paths where appropriate (Ami appears in Mami's story, I'm pretty sure Iori is in Yayoi's, etc), and there was stuff between the Ryuuguu members in the PS3 versions special mode.

With OFA and Platinum Stars, though, it's pretty clear that they've taken a degree of influence from the atmosphere of the TV anime, and with the game being written around the expectation the player will eventually be producing all of 765Pro, they felt free to include any of the characters whenever appropriate. Not that there's a ton of story content in Platinum Stars (that games kinda light on content, honestly), but OFA has some good stuff, especially in the DLC stories.

(Dearly Stars is different in that it's a bit more of a VN)

Accoun

If I want to play any Im@s game in English, what are my options?

Patch for PSP games?

Yes. The one with Haruka, Makoto and Yayoi is fully* translated. Otherwise you'd have to look up translation progress for each route.

If you're really desperate, there were spinoff rhythm game ports on iOS and they were officially translated. Sadly, they've been long delisted from the App Store and... they weren't good gameplay-wise to begin with.

*the patching program is very old and pretty shitty and for whatever reason e-mail files just don't work with it, even if they're translated. Sadly, it doesn't seem like the author is around anymore. or just someone who could understand the format and make new tools.

PantsuJo

Yes. The one with Haruka, Makoto and Yayoi is fully* translated. Otherwise you'd have to look up translation progress for each route.

If you're really desperate, there were spinoff rhythm game ports on iOS and they were officially translated. Sadly, they've been long delisted from the App Store and... they weren't good gameplay-wise to begin with.

*the patching program is very old and pretty shitty and for whatever reason e-mail files just don't work with it, even if they're translated. Sadly, it doesn't seem like the author is around anymore. or just someone who could understand the format and make new tools.
Thanks for the explanation... Well, what a bad situation :/ I'll try the psp one

Cinderella Girls 6th election midway results are out (voting's still open until May 9). First image is overall top 10, the rest are top 15 of each category:

In terms of rankings that actually matter (for reward songs and shit), Mayu being top Cute is basically the only positive thing I can take from this. I guess I'd be fine with Kaede winning.

Astarte

irl imas communities are a super mixed bag

I've met really really cool people (like other YayoiP's) but there are some people who start screaming about how I have shit taste

even ironically I can't get down with that

If anyone is looking for communities, it's definitely 4chan or Line groups.

m0t0k1

In celebration of reaching the 100 chapter that is great. Takane is probably my fav girl in Puchi. I was laughing so hard at that brazil part and she was staring down her puchi.

m0t0k1

Is it a full series or just a collection of ovas?

Seems like it is only going to be ovas.

IDOLM@STER Million Lives Theater First Days

Second Trailer and more details, from Gematsu

http://gematsu.com/2017/04/idolmaster-million-live-theater-days-first-details-second-trailer

I am really excited for this game. Miki Miki dancing looks so good. I don't think we are going to reach that 1 million mark. Unless people are going to make a lot of fake accounts. Those slides are looking to kill me lol. Here are 2 songs played by one of the seiyuus i think. Sentimental Venus and Koi no lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m2UJzwW_Hg

Xenon84

Neo Member

Don't know much about IM@S in person. But its a few hardcore Love Live fans on campus at my college. And when I even mention IM@S they literally talk about how its trash and not worth mentioning.

The few times they have elaborated on it they say the characters have no depth and you don't get much interaction and "essence" with them. And they don't flesh anything out all franchise long. *shrugs* I can see where they are coming from maybe.

That said I don't mention anthing iM@S anymore lol

Top Bottom