• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The IGS PGM: Neo Geo's secret half brother from an affair!

VGEsoterica

and you thought hardware was made by engineers! No...it's born lolol.

Mr Geo took a trip to Taiwan for business in the 90s and met someone...and out came the PGM...Neo Geo's half brother!

But all joking aside, the IGS PGM ad the Neo Geo share like 95% of the same DNA hardware wise and stylistically as well. It's hard to believe that the games on PGM aren't just running on a Neo Geo. It's some real bizarro world stuff. But even if it isn't a Neo Geo the PGM has some of the best arcade games around on it...and nobody seems to realize this. Especially all the CAVE shmups...one of the few places you can get CAVE games still that won't cost you multiple thousands of dollars to pop a game in a cabinet and play it.

It's a fun hardware overview of this sadly obscure platform that more people need to know about. Curious who else here is into PGM stuff or has played any of the games? Cause I know I am NOT the only one?

VGEsoterica

SeraphJan

A bit off topic

So posting a self made video on youtube (also with patron link in within that video description) does not count of self promotion, right?

I'm still new to GAF

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

A bit off topic

So posting a self made video on youtube (also with patron link in within that video description) does not count of self promotion, right?

I'm still new to GAF
Gaf accounts for 0.6% of my monthly traffic...which is to say non-beneficial lol

I pop in from time to time with esoteric games / rare hardware / beta and unreleased game dumps...mostly because I get to talk about this obscure stuff I love with like minded people. Plus with beta / unreleased game dumps / source code preservation...it gets more people into that specifically.

But trust me...I don't get rich from this. I lose $$ on every video I make. I'll get probably $15-20 from this video in total...factor in shooting time / editing time / voice over time...probably 4 hours...so $5 an hour.

Cost of what's on screen? A lot more :messenger_grinning_smiling:

some videos cost me hundreds to make for the minimal revenue...so it's very upside down

VGEsoterica

baphomet

The pgm is actually pretty awesome even though it's got a fairly small library. I've got all the "big" ones like Demon Front, DoDonPachi Bee Storm, Martial Masters, Gladiator, etc. Also have all those Cave conversions.

I'd like to see a pgm flash cart honestly.

MrA

Banned

Ozzie666

Some really good titles, Demon front is a poor mans metal slug, not a bad effort. Some really good hack n slash and beat'em ups too. Very under rated library. the 2nd and third systems didn't do much for me. But the PGM is up there with the NEO and CPS2.

marquimvfs

Saw one once here in Brazil, but the machine was turned off and it hadn't any cartridge in, so I just assumed it was some Neo Geo counterfeit. It was in an client's arcade where I used to fix some boards, if I only knew it...

VGEsoterica

Some really good titles, Demon front is a poor mans metal slug, not a bad effort. Some really good hack n slash and beat'em ups too. Very under rated library. the 2nd and third systems didn't do much for me. But the PGM is up there with the NEO and CPS2.
I wouldn’t call Demon Front a poor mans Slug. I’d call it a extremely good homage. It is clearly wearing its inspiration on its sleeve...but it’s also a damn good game that is pretty AF

But yes PGM gets worse at PGM 2 and non essential at PGM 3

S0ULZB0URNE

Top Bottom