• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Intercept: NSA report details Russian hacking effort days before 2016 US election

chadskin

RUSSIAN MILITARY INTELLIGENCE executed a cyberattack on at least one U.S. voting software supplier and sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials just days before last November's presidential election, according to a highly classified intelligence report obtained by The Intercept.

The top-secret National Security Agency document, which was provided anonymously to The Intercept and independently authenticated, analyzes intelligence very recently acquired by the agency about a months-long Russian intelligence cyber effort against elements of the U.S. election and voting infrastructure. The report, dated May 5, 2017, is the most detailed U.S. government account of Russian interference in the election that has yet come to light.
The report indicates that Russian hacking may have penetrated further into U.S. voting systems than was previously understood. It states unequivocally in its summary statement that it was Russian military intelligence, specifically the Russian General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate, or GRU, that conducted the cyber attacks described in the document:

Russian General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate actors ... executed cyber espionage operations against a named U.S. company in August 2016, evidently to obtain information on elections-related software and hardware solutions. ... The actors likely used data obtained from that operation to ... launch a voter registration-themed spear-phishing campaign targeting U.S. local government organizations.
The NSA analysis does not draw conclusions about whether the interference had any effect on the election's outcome and concedes that much remains unknown about the extent of the hackers' accomplishments. However, the report raises the possibility that Russian hacking may have breached at least some elements of the voting system, with disconcertingly uncertain results.
More here: https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05...ian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/

https://twitter.com/RebeccaShabad/status/871822448660029440

.@cbsnews confirms the NSA report is real --> NSA report details Russian hacking effort days before election

NimbusD

So... they did actually hack the election. Fucking christ I want to laugh.

Why is this just coming out now?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Hahahahah - oh wow.

Sooooo, let's say we find out they actually hacked ballots.

What happens then?

It seems there are two threads about the same article so I'm gonna post this here as well:

Pro-Tip: Don't post The Intercept as a source. They are a crazy conspiracy website. The intelligence agencies that all say the Russians hacked the democrats also say there is absolutely no evidence that the Russians hacked the actual votes.

Buying into the idea that the actual votes were hacked only helps assholes like Jill Stein trick you into giving her 9 million dollars for nothing.

EDIT: Ignore this post. I realize I got it wrong after seeing that they provided proof and that CBS has confirmed it.

Dyle

Bbbut Putin just told Megyn Kelly that the hacking was a ploy made up by the Democrats to hurt the Republicans?

Do you really think Putin would do that, just go on an interview and lie?

It seems there are two threads about the same article so I'm gonna post this here as well:

Pro-Tip: Don't post The Intercept as a source. They are a crazy conspiracy website. The intelligence agencies that all say the Russians hacked the democrats also say there is absolutely no evidence that the Russians hacked the actual votes.

Buying into the idea that the actual votes were hacked only helps assholes like Jill Stein trick you into giving her 9 million dollars for nothing.

Nah man, if they hacked the ballots we get a do-over

Luschient

I really want a timetable released on all of this. If they knew this was going on in months prior to the election, why weren't we informed about it then?

Fercho

With all this Russian situation happening during and after the elections. Is there any basis to justify a military/diplomatic action against Russia?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I really want a timetable released on all of this. If they knew this was going on in months prior to the election, why weren't we informed about it then?

Obama didn't want to. Plus if this came out would have helped Trump with the whole Rigged statements.

Davidion

Just as an FYI since people asked, the Intercept is considered fairly reputable*, having done some interesting investigative pieces and collaborated with Der Spiegel in Germany.

Glenn Greenwald and the crew running this ship are often accused of being more than a little friendly to Russian interests, despite what the tone of this piece would indicate.

Just a little PA announcement

Fercho

Yes, lift sanctions and give them back their diplomatic compounds!

LMAO,

Seriously, is like these guys really fucked things up not only in America but in other countries as well , and all are like "meh Russians". At this point i fucking hate Putin.

The Intercept are not a fake news site, c'mon.

Sam Biddle @samfbiddle
·
12m

very very important: there's nothing in the NSA report indicating the actual voting machines or vote tabulations were compromised

^ one of the reporters on this story

Just as an FYI since people asked, the Intercept is considered fairly reputable*, having done some interesting investigative pieces and collaborated with Der Spiegel in Germany.

Glenn Greenwald and the crew running this ship are often accused of being more than a little friendly to Russian interests, despite what the tone of this piece would indicate.

Just a little PA announcement

I just finished doing a quick look at their Wikipedia article and yeah, they seem slightly fishy. We should wait for more sources to corroborate before we jump for joy or whatever.

Also PA already stands for Public Announcement so a PA announcement is a public announcement announcement

Sephzilla

I have a feeling that by the time the entire Trump regime is all done we're going to find out that even his election win wasn't legitimate/clean.

Which part?

Any of it.

Sam Biddle @samfbiddle
·
12m

very very important: there's nothing in the NSA report indicating the actual voting machines or vote tabulations were compromised

^ one of the reporters on this story

Good heavens. They call that reporting?

This document provides proof that RUSSIAN MILITARY INTELLIGENCE, not Russian teenagers, or a 400 lb. guy in his mom's basement, attempted to directly interfere with the voting process itself on election day. Whether they were successful or not, this is still outrageously important news. It's a smoking gun.

I saw the Intercept and became immediately suspicious. Will wait for more sources.

Intercept is more of a Russian hacking apologist website more than anything. Greenwald has been yelling there's no evidence for months. If they published it that's a good sign.

What's more is they claim to have independently verified that the NSA document is legit.

Always worth waiting for more sources of course.

CTLance

By Jove. Now the NSA is joining the dance-off?

Y'all are doing this on purpose, ain'tcha. This is like some zany movie script.

chadskin

I mean, the NSA document is right there for you all to look at and the NSA/ODNI kind of confirmed its authenticity.

The NSA and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence were both contacted for this article. Officials requested that we not publish or report on the top secret document and declined to comment on it. When informed that we intended to go ahead with this story, the NSA requested a number of redactions. The Intercept agreed to some of the redaction requests after determining that the disclosure of that material was not clearly in the public interest.

Top Bottom