• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
Check out Turnacle.

mzlkpokuuag480x480-75_zpsdc4a909a.jpg

Pretty fun (& simple) game. It's free!

PFD

Anyone playing Symphonica? I noticed that there is a DLC sale, but I have no idea what the individual packs are... I'm getting the impression that the Complete Pack isn't actually all the DLC.

Symphonica is surprisingly a lot of fun if you're into classical music. I finished the campaign, but haven't bought any of the bonus packs.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
If you're struggling with lack of space on your idevice give PhoneClean a try. It's a free PC software, doesn't require jailbreak, and will scan your device for junk files, left overs, sync-failed files etc and let you clean them. After you do an initial scan, you get to choose which apps you want to clean. It will remove cached magazines, so I unchecked my digital magazine apps for example.

All in all, it helped me clear 2.26GB on my 64gig iPad.

ia5GRfR.png

I'd just warn that this deletes IAPs from certain apps that will have to be 'restored' / re-downloaded.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Completed 150 / 150 jobs in Pixel People. Took 1 week of very consistent play plus $8 in virtual currency. It slows WAAAAY down when you get to around 100-110 so it probably would have taken 3-4 weeks of throughout-the-day play to do it without paying. Longer if you're just checking in once in a while.

Still really like the game... review on IGN soon. It's probably the best game of its type since Pocket Planes.

There's not a defined endgame right now, but you're also not just "done" like you are in Pocket Planes. I'm now working on filling every business, which will keep me busy for at least a couple more weeks.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
If you're struggling with lack of space on your idevice give PhoneClean a try. It's a free PC software, doesn't require jailbreak, and will scan your device for junk files, left overs, sync-failed files etc and let you clean them. After you do an initial scan, you get to choose which apps you want to clean. It will remove cached magazines, so I unchecked my digital magazine apps for example.

All in all, it helped me clear 2.26GB on my 64gig iPad.

ia5GRfR.png

Thanks, gonna try this out.

Will buy table top racing, looks like a hybrid of micro machines and toy racer!

If it's out in your region grab Gun Bros 2, it's a freemium twin stick shooter but real fun, quite an improvement over the first game which was also rather good for it's time (and before glu made 20 spin off games using the same concept)

Dawg

Been using that QuickThoughts survey app someone linked earlier.

Got about 4$ now (2x2$). It's kinda boring. Started about 20 surveys or more and only two of them ended up completing.

PFD

Been using that QuickThoughts survey app someone linked earlier.

Got about 4$ now (2x2$). It's kinda boring. Started about 20 surveys or more and only two of them ended up completing.

I'm getting $3 a pop. Got two $10 gift cards so far, but I think I'm done with it because it's giving me 'no surveys available' or 'not eligible' most of the time. It's quite a hassle.

Completed 150 / 150 jobs in Pixel People. Took 1 week of very consistent play plus $8 in virtual currency. It slows WAAAAY down when you get to around 100-110 so it probably would have taken 3-4 weeks of throughout-the-day play to do it without paying. Longer if you're just checking in once in a while.

Still really like the game... review on IGN soon. It's probably the best game of its type since Pocket Planes.

There's not a defined endgame right now, but you're also not just "done" like you are in Pocket Planes. I'm now working on filling every business, which will keep me busy for at least a couple more weeks.

Had to turn Pixel People off after literally the first screen, because it's so ugly. I just can't stand it when people make this big deal about pixels and then have "pixels" of at least ten different sizes on one screen. Even the characters have different pixel sizes within one sprite. It's a far cry from Tiny Tower, that's for sure (even that varies a little).

I'll go back to it, but man it looks shit.

Had to turn Pixel People off after literally the first screen, because it's so ugly. I just can't stand it when people make this big deal about pixels and then have "pixels" of at least ten different sizes on one screen. Even the characters have different pixel sizes within one sprite. It's a far cry from Tiny Tower, that's for sure (even that varies a little).

It's a trend that I don't get either. I know they think it looks "retro" and "hip"-but for me, it's really offputting...

PFD

Haven't seen the game yet, but I totally agree with the different pixel sizes sentiment. Seen it in other games, and absolutely hate it. Just like using particle effects and smooth gradients with pixel graphics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Symphonica is surprisingly a lot of fun if you're into classical music. I finished the campaign, but haven't bought any of the bonus packs.
Yeah, it looks like the 9 dollar DLC is the one that unlocks everything except the non-story related songs. It's smart enough to clear out all the other DLC that you can buy anyway.
It's a neat game, especially since I got tired of grinding in Theatrhythm.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh god, Pixel People is my new crack...

I can't seem to get into it. I'm starting to have less tolerance for delayed-action gaming. Despite Clash of Clans being my go to iOS game at the moment. :p

Man, all those mis-matched pixel art and then there's actual drawn art on top of that...yuck.

BooJoh

Pixel People seems decent, but seems to require constant babysitting, so it turns into a bit of a tap-fest, and there isn't a zoom level I like on the iPod 5. It's either way too small or I can't see enough at a time.

Having played Mutant Mudds on 3DS, the virtual d-pad here is abysmal to use and I couldn't see myself beating some of the harder levels with it, but on the other hand, the timer counts up in this one, and as far as I can tell you can't run out of time. On 3DS the timer counted down and you died if you ran out of time, which was my biggest complaint with the game there.

SteveWD40

I was hoping for more a "Sim City" experience with Pixel People, since it's something lacking on iOS, sadly it's more like Tiny Tower.

It's well done for the most part (although I agree about the art being all over the place) but it's another "hurry up and wait" style game, unless you buy IAP. The city building isn't as in depth as I would have liked at all.

fisheyes

Anyone play Simpsons Tapped Out? I'd like to add some more Springfields.

I just came in to ask the same thing, I know its such a dumb game but since getting my iPad for Christmas I've been somewhat addicted.

Username is jjjdeezy. I'm going to add the others in this thread, too.

Fjordson

So far behind the curve here, but holy hell is Kingdom Rush fun.

Also got Bard's Tale. Nice package with the original games included for $2. Hope iOS continues to get more and more classic point & clicks and RPG's as time goes on.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Pixel People isn't working for me, just shows an empty sky when the guy asks me to click on a glowing square, then the game crashes. Have resprung and rebooted with no effect. Great stuff!

Cheech

Kinda offtopic but has anyone used the monoprice iphone charging cables? They're probably ok right? (30 pin)

Yeah, they're fine.

I am still waiting for reliable third party Lightning cables. Still way too many "This cooked my iPhone!" stories.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Have you tried deleting the iCloud data as well as the app?

Yep, deleted the game, went into the settings, deleted all the data for the game, reinstalled the game and then loaded it up. Still says "Loaded from iCloud!" regardless, then shows nothing I can click on when the game loads, just an empty sky. If I hold down on the screen a little hand appears that I can move around, but that doesn't do anything and doesn't go away. Weird.

Gaaraz

After 4 years of iOS gaming (and more recently Android gaming, which by the way, is hugely inferior) and trying out thousands of games it's depressing to think that my favourite mobile game is probably Angry Birds - not sure what that says about me!

I've still enjoyed lots of other games to be fair - Real Racing 2, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Dungeon etc but I'm now done with the days of wanting to try out every single game that looks even remotely interesting because 95% of the time it ends in utter disappointment.

That being said, I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into Ravenmark and Clash of Heroes. :E

ToxicAdam

I still love trying out all the games. It reminds me of when I was a kid with a PC and would download all the shareware games that were available.

98% of them were garbage, but when you found the good ones, it made it all worthwhile.

Fox Mulder

After 4 years of iOS gaming (and more recently Android gaming, which by the way, is hugely inferior) and trying out thousands of games it's depressing to think that my favourite mobile game is probably Angry Birds - not sure what that says about me!

I've still enjoyed lots of other games to be fair - Real Racing 2, World of Goo, Plants vs Zombies, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Dungeon etc but I'm now done with the days of wanting to try out every single game that looks even remotely interesting because 95% of the time it ends in utter disappointment.

That being said, I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into Ravenmark and Clash of Heroes. :E

Nothing wrong with angry birds. It's got a slick art style, catchy music, perfect gameplay for the platform, and they've supported them with new levels for years.

I slowed my buying down because I had tons of games I never even launched once in my backlog. I recently decided to delete a bunch of stuff that I'd never get around to unless I was on a long cross country plane flight or something.

Davey Cakes

Mutant Mudds for free is a steal. Even at $0.99 this game would be a great deal.

Can't say I'm big on the virtual gamepad, but that's always the case with iOS platformers. I do feel like the tougher levels would be a bitch because of the lack of precision, but the existence of checkpoints and the changes to the timer could make up for it.

Anyway, highly recommended! And it's available for free until tomorrow.

Anyone knows what happens if I remove a house in happy street? I have several wood cottages I made early game, nad their wallets are tiny compared to others...

I could use the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom