• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iOS Gaming Thread January 2013: We beat the apocalypse without buttons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Oh god, Pixel People is my new crack...

Yeah, it got ahold of me pretty good last night.

decent game with nice graphics but difficult to use virtual d-pad. I guess they made it free cus it wasn't selling. very reminiscent of 'gargoyle's quest' for gameboy.

I thought the controls were fine on iPad. You can move the d-pad and buttons anywhere on the screen in the options menu.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Pixel People is cool. Yes, it's another time management game, but it has the charming presentation of a Nimblebit but more involved and varied like Jurassic Park Builder or Happy Street, meaning it isn't as mindlessly simple as something like Tiny Tower. It is kinda by-the-numbers for the genre but splicing clones is a lot of fun, you never know what you're gonna get. Plus I just made a Corgi which is pretty awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm not 100% sure these codes I have for Cook, Serve, Delicious! are still active (that is, if they haven't expired), so here ya go! (quote to reveal, iPad 2+ only).

If you get one, please let me know if it went through OK.

Also just submitted a new update to Apple that adds four new foods...an all new Breakfast menu. :D

pancakeicon3.png
hashbrownicon.png
coffeeicon.png
breakfastsandicon2.png

Tucah

you speak so well
I'm not 100% sure these codes I have for Cook, Serve, Delicious! are still active (that is, if they haven't expired), so here ya go! (quote to reveal, iPad 2+ only).

Also just submitted a new update to Apple that adds four new foods...an all new Breakfast menu. :D

pancakeicon3.png
hashbrownicon.png
coffeeicon.png
breakfastsandicon2.png

Got the second code, thanks :D

Ranger X

pancakeicon3.png
hashbrownicon.png
coffeeicon.png
breakfastsandicon2.png

Cool. Took that one
LX9RJ76PN4KK
I hope its the iphone version... :(

EDIT: daaaaaaamn, fucking hell, you said it was for Ipad in your very post. I didn't see it. Fuuuuck. Sorry.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Title suggestions for February |OT| go!

Will put it up around noon tomorrow GMT time.

Are Pixel People and Table Top Racing OP worthy? Tell me your feelings GAF. I'll include them in February's OP as well since they're released this late in January.

I wonder when the Phoenix Wright HD Trilogy is coming to the US app store..

Are Pixel People and Table Top Racing OP worthy? Tell me your feelings GAF. I'll include them in February's OP as well since they're released this late in January.

Thread of... No new information related to Phoenix Wright HD Trilogy

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI the spirit discount for Pixel People caps out at 50% for land upgrades. So don't spend more space/Utopium than you need to on premium decorations. Save your Utopium for high-end premium residences. You should have enough to buy everything you want.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

Pixel People definitely is. Haven't played TTR. Dungelot and Joe Danger: Touch deserve to be up there, too.

PFD

Don't forget Little Inferno. I've yet to play it, but it's made by the same people who did World of Goo.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
RE: Pixel People. What's the point of building roads? It's not entirely clear why I need them, but I haven't been building any so far. Hopefully I don't regret that. I've got absolutely nothing done at work thanks to this game :(.

Also, maybe someone should make an OT for it if there's enough demand.

RE: Pixel People. What's the point of building roads? It's not entirely clear why I need them, but I haven't been building any so far. Hopefully I don't regret that. I've got absolutely nothing done at work thanks to this game :(.

Also, maybe someone should make an OT for it if there's enough demand.

No actual point, but it does make everything a bit more spaced out and easier to see. It's mainly cosmetic

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Roads are cosmetic only. I was hoping cars drove on them when you construct the garage, but no such luck.

There is an achievement for building 50 roads that nets you 1 utopium.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Thread of... No new information related to Phoenix Wright HD Trilogy
Nice, was in line with one I had in mind: "The month Star Command releases! ..or not!"

Pixel People definitely is. Haven't played TTR. Dungelot and Joe Danger: Touch deserve to be up there, too.

Joe Danger is up there, didn't realise Dungelot was a January game (thought it just had an update!) Will put it in the OP now and it'll also be featured in Feb's thread near the top. Pixel People added as well, TTR too -- it seems to have positive buzz going and the gameplay trailers look nice. If it's terrible I'll revoke it's GAFdom status soon enough.

Don't forget Little Inferno. I've yet to play it, but it's made by the same people who did World of Goo.

Technically it is made by 1/2 of the people that made World of Goo (Kyle Gabler), the creator of Henry Hatsworth (Kyle Grey), and a super amazing programmer (Allan Blomquist).
Oh! Didn't know they were working on a iOS port of that game, added!

'If the Groundhog sees IAPs, that means 6 more weeks of winter.'
:D

Puzzle Saga just went free.

mzl.wjrmcdrq.480x480-75.jpg

It looks like Clash of Heroes, but it's not. It plays more as a high-speed match three like Zookeeper or Bejeweled, but your goal is as in CoH, destroy the enemy on the other side. Upgradeable units and all that stuff. Worth checking out.

Pachimari

Tell me gaffers. I haven't bought a game for a while. The Woods with the updated controls or that one Slender Man game that people are actually praising?

ekim

Finished little inferno in 3 hours straight. Had a blast with it. I love the sandbox-like gameplay and the graphics look wonderful on the 4th ipad. And the whole experience had a Journey-like touch. One of the best games I played on the iPad yet.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I'm really disappointed in Table Top Racing. I was expecting big things.

First off I thought it was either top-down or isometric. It's neither. It's a basic third person racing game on tracks that wouldn't look out of place in Micro Machines.

The AI is really dumb. You end up with one guy out in front, and the other 4 just huddle in a bunch constantly bouncing off each other.

The controls are a bit shit. It's a basically left-right hold the screen method, and when you turn so much the car will automatically do a kind of handbrake turn around the corner.

Generally, it's just a disappointment to me. I think I'd rather play some of the other top down racers on iOS than this. Stuff like Reckless etc.

Pachimari

I'm really disappointed in Table Top Racing. I was expecting big things.

First off I thought it was either top-down or isometric. It's neither. It's a basic third person racing game on tracks that wouldn't look out of place in Micro Machines.

The AI is really dumb. You end up with one guy out in front, and the other 4 just huddle in a bunch constantly bouncing off each other.

The controls are a bit shit. It's a basically left-right hold the screen method, and when you turn so much the car will automatically do a kind of handbrake turn around the corner.

Generally, it's just a disappointment to me. I think I'd rather play some of the other top down racers on iOS than this. Stuff like Reckless etc.
Doesn't it also lack sense of pace?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Doesn't it also lack sense of pace?

It's not so bad once you upgrade your vehicle a bit. Goes a decent pace then.

But of course there is a bunch of 'Stars' to buy to unlock all that shit early. The Store button is constantly bouncing in the corner when you're in the garage.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Finished little inferno in 3 hours straight. Had a blast with it. I love the sandbox-like gameplay and the graphics look wonderful on the 4th ipad. And the whole experience had a Journey-like touch. One of the best games I played on the iPad yet.

I'm playing it now, quite awesome, thought a bit on the slower side which is OK.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I would not put Star Command in the thread title.

EXCLUSIVE!

Have some insider news to share eh?

I'll believe it when I see it.

bigfoot_poster-rd5f1794868fb414da39e36dacee3c2ce_wad_400.jpg

Reading between the lines of all the dev's statements it's pretty clear it is coming at some point in February.

Having it in the thread title would be fittingly tongue-in-cheek in that sense.

Heel

dream, friend, this Happy Street update disgusts me. Even my damn villagers are trying to put a positive spin on this travesty.

dream, friend, this Happy Street update disgusts me. Even my damn villagers are trying to put a positive spin on this travesty.

Is there anything in the update like the Christmas tree that people have to visit?

For people that aren't aware, the update increases the price of all the premium stuff 1.5x, so make sure you've spent all your Flooz before updating. To offset it, street expansions are now in coins.

okno

All you Tapped Out guys, ill be adding you soon! My name is erkr.

Also, Pixel People. Why the hell is this so fun?! Plays perfectly on my mini.

Heel

Is there anything in the update like the Christmas tree that people have to visit?

It doesn't look like it.

Why? Who cares about the cost increase?

The new Chinese New Years buildings cost a total of 290 flooz, and have to be bought in the next 28 days. I'm pretty sure that's impossible to reach without making an IAP, especially with their new economy. A lot of the ways you could get flooz while playing the game now only give you coins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom