• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |OT2| Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

Dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
Oh shit. Rage is out! But it's 750 MB? Damn... I don't have the space for it, I'd have to delete SFIV, Phoenix Wright and a few albums to play it :/

Yeah, I'm fiendishly trying to find things to delete while downloading it.

32GB just doesn't go as far as it used to. :(

gogojira

I downloaded Game Dev Story today and holy fuck I can't put it down. Seriously, I've got a ton of games that need to be played and I'm stuck living in pretend developer world.

Fusebox

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
So how is Rage?

Great graphics, frantic gameplay, no gyro support is a bit rough but it controls great in Touch mode on the iPad with the extra screen-size. Definitely worth the $1.

Jonnyram

japtor said:
Mushi Bug Panic is out, $4. Doesn't appear to be showing up on the store on my iPad (even running 4.2) but is on my iPhone.

...and my phone doesn't have enough space to download and install. doh.
I've played it a bit. It's really fucking hard, but it's insanely fun. It's kind of like a twin-stick gauntlet, I guess - big levels with areas that open up after defeating waves (kind of like getting keys in gauntlet). The huge chain reactions are very satisfying, and the twin-stick controls are handled pretty well too.

Jonnyram

Rlan said:
The latest update to Halfbrick's Monster Dash is now available! The game is now a Universal application, so those with iPads can pick it up for it's 99c price and play it well!
Ooh, that's nice. Now make Fruit Ninja Universal and we're all set :)

Speaking of Universal updates, Plunderland just made the switch today too. All that lovely artwork on iPad :O

japtor

burgerdog said:
Rage is up in the states.
Yeah Rage and Rage HD (<- iTunes links) should be out everywhere now. Downloading the HD one on my iPad right now, probably don't have enough space on my phone for it.

Also tested out Mushi on iPad, works there (in 4.2) so it's just not showing up in the store on there.

If you want an arena type experience Mushi has that too once you pass each Adventure mode world it seems. I opened up the first one so far, gets pretty hectic. Has time attack and endless modes.

japtor

Link generator, trashed them.

Anyways finished the first level on iPad (took a second try to survive it), it's pretty damn crazy. I never really got into Doom Resurrection cause it was kinda slow while Rage gets into the action pretty quickly.

One trick to survive a bit if you need to reload (particularly the shotgun) is to hold up on the throwing object guys and just keep dodging while reloading. Probably won't work on the later levels (seems to throw a lot of guys at you at once) but if you have the opportunity you might as well use it.

Control wise I'm not sure how I feel about it yet...corner button placement is kinda uncomfortable on the iPad, while touchpad (scroll to aim) feels like it might be a disadvantage, and tilt seems pretty difficult during hectic segments, like going for bulleyes or powerups off to the side. A lot of the time I just focused on killing cause it was a crapshoot whether I could tilt it right to get the powerups...which are pretty important. I just barely got through the first level by conserving (other than one segment where I said fuck it and mowed down a bunch at once with the machine gun).

edit-also found a small bug with Mushi, if you lock the device while the game is open it kills the sound for it. Going home and opening it again doesn't work to bring it back, you have to open the app switcher and kill it from there (tap hold for the jiggle, hit the minus) and relaunch.

Fusebox

Banned
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/11/18/pinball-magic-appcessory-now-available-for-the-ipad/

ipad_pinball_magic.jpg

I might buy that.

edit - so long as it works with all pinball apps and not just the one they made it for.

Also, looks like the purchase link doesn't work anymore? The store must have pulled the listing for some reason.

SmokyDave

^ Oh my goodness. I need one. Slayer Pinball HD would rock on that.

I'm loving Rage on the iPad but I've also stuck it on my iPhone to play at work and I'm not quite as impressed. It's difficult not to accidentally catch the pause button because there's not much screen real estate for the buttons. Still, a great way to spend £1.19.

Reese-015

Man oh man... Rage is the shit. Imo this is a huge deal for iOS, such a good-looking fun game at that price is pretty amazing.

Also, even though the environments aren't all that imaginative, the artists did such a good job utilizing the engine's megatexturing. It's the first time I'm convinced by a game world on the iPhone in the same way that the greatest pc fps's can have you convinced of their 'reality' and much has to do with how beautifully and organically detailed and lit the levels are, combined with the smoothness in animation of everything that moves.

Minsc said:
This has got to be the most complicated farmville-ish game I've ever seen in my life.

There's two layers of building, you have your town, which is a large ~15x15 grid, with 4 kinds of resources distributed randomly, upon which there's dozens of structures you can build, to gather those resources, and build an army.

All the structures can be leveled up, and there's a ton of units you can purchase to create your army. Units are grouped by cards, of which you can recruit in numbers, so if your timber wolf card has 75 wolves, you can purchase 100s more to increase it's strength.

You can combine your creatures in to armies containing up to 4 cards. The cards level up, and you have to increase stats with points you get from the leveling.

The points you get from the dungeons can be used to purchase additional cards at random, of which there are common, uncommon, rare, and super rare cards. You get 1 card for 100 crystals, and there are different "decks" to choose to buy cards from.

The cards aren't all creatures, there's also equipment. On top of all that, you can sorta forge/create custom creatures and equipment.

Then there's the second layer of the map, the world screen, and holy crap. This is like another crazy thing, where you have to expand your influence by taking over the neutral lands bordering your castle. You need to send your armies to battle the lands, and if they win, you can control. Different armies travel at different speeds, so you have to take that in to consideration too.

Now, ready for it to get really complicated? Cause I'm not even through the training yet at this point (tutorial is a cake walk compared to the real game's training), and I'm scared to think of what is going to come next. There's a significant number of buttons I haven't even used including diplomacy.

Now as you control neutral territories, you eventually can take over citadels/towers, and those contain additional dungeons for you to challenge your hero of which there are three different ones to pick at the start (tank/warrior/mage). You can solo or play with 3 other people when doing dungeons. I tried soloing, and it seems the combat is pretty basic, but a little deep.

Using your shield to block attacks you actually need to face the proper direction to reduce the most damage it seems, and getting hit in the back results in extra damage.

This could possibly be the most complicated game I've ever seen on the iPhone, it's a weird mix of a Civ/CCG/WoW/farming/dungeon raiding, really, really weird mix.
I spent about 45 minutes + over an hour last night playing the game and it's hella complex, I wish the dungeon runs were more common and not limited to 5 a day! fuck that. :(

I can understand sega wanting a depth game with plenty to pay towards but this is a bit too much, i'll just wait for them to port over phantasy star zero or something for my PSO fix :/

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Played a very little bit of Rage HD on my iPhone this morning. The graphics are seriously damn impressive, it's so close to what I'd expect the console version to look like I'm staggered by it. The gameplay seems good enough, this is the first shooter I've played on the iPhone so I don't really have anything to compare it to but the touch controls seem pretty functional and boiling the game down to a rail-shooter makes a strange kind of sense, even though the FPS fan in me misses being able to run around like a lunatic. Seems like it will be good as a score-attack game, there is loads of stuff in the environment that I missed on a first run.

This is so worth £1.19 it's ridiculous, makes some of the pricier games seem like awful value.

Speaking of pricey, I've been looking at the music creation apps available and most seem really dear, I wish I could try out some kind of demo before I buy them. Can anyone recommend a good music-creation app? I'm a big fan of the Korg DS-10 so something like that would rock.

SmokyDave

Jedeye Sniv said:
Played a very little bit of Rage HD on my iPhone this morning.
I've just noticed, it has active reload. There's a little bar at the top and you get a cash reward and double damage for a successful reload. Handy to know.

This is so worth £1.19 it's ridiculous, makes some of the pricier games seem like awful value.
I just think the App Store is a treasure trove of great apps at silly prices. I agree though, this is even better value for money than normal. Ridiculous.

Speaking of pricey, I've been looking at the music creation apps available and most seem really dear, I wish I could try out some kind of demo before I buy them. Can anyone recommend a good music-creation app? I'm a big fan of the Korg DS-10 so something like that would rock.
You might want to speak to Fusebox, he seems to be 'the man in the know' for this. There were rumblings of a thread dedicated to such apps. I bought the iMS-20 just to play around with and I love it but I can't recommend it because I've no idea what I'm talking about and nothing to compare it to.

derFeef

Someone needs to make Rage HD shots (on phone and pad) so I can get hyped and have something to look for after work.

edit: ah sweet there are already some. I am slow...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is cut the rope universal or still separate apps for SD/HD?

It seems ridiculous to add retina graphics to the 'standard' game yet still make me buy a separate 'HD' version which probably uses the same graphics.

Wonder if an updated ipad OS will let us play retina graphics versions at 1x instead of blowing up the low res version 2x?

Reese-015

Jedeye Sniv said:

For me personally, these are the essentials in creating music on my iPhone:
ThumbJam - VERY EASY to make awesome stuff in this, comfortable learning curve
Dopplerpad - has some depth in terms of creating your own fx/synths, looks awesome, great for creating electronic-sounding bits
Beatmaker - hard learning curve if you wanna use it properly but it ROCKS and is the centerpiece of how I do all my work, I copy/paste ThumbJam & Dopplerpad stuff in here
Filtatron - came out recently, was the missing piece in my arsenal to really manipulate sounds and make them sound organic, warm, distorted and fucked up :D

Example of something I made using mainly Beatmaker/Dopplerpad/ThumbJam (without using a pc or anything else): http://soundcloud.com/reese015/daylight

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Reese-015 said:
For me personally, these are the essentials in creating music on my iPhone:
ThumbJam - VERY EASY to make awesome stuff in this, comfortable learning curve
Dopplerpad - has some depth in terms of creating your own fx/synths, looks awesome, great for creating electronic-sounding bits
Beatmaker - hard learning curve if you wanna use it properly but it ROCKS and is the centerpiece of how I do all my work, I copy/paste ThumbJam & Dopplerpad stuff in here
Filtatron - came out recently, was the missing piece in my arsenal to really manipulate sounds and make them sound organic, warm, distorted and fucked up :D

Example of something I made using mainly Beatmaker/Dopplerpad/ThumbJam (without using a pc or anything else): http://soundcloud.com/reese015/daylight

Oh wow, thanks man that's really helpful. Your tune sounds pretty sick btw, love the bass sounds you've got going on in there. I need this stuff! :D

pdk27

Nothing like waking up to a Street Fighter 4 update and a new release in Rage HD. I'm really starting to dig this platform.

heringer

Every now and then my fingers itch to buy Street Fighter 4... this is one of those times. I must resist.

I just don't think I wouldn't be playing a lot, since I don't have any opportunity to play multiplayer on the iPhone. If only there was an online mode...

What solo modes the game offers?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
heringer said:
Every now and then my fingers itch to buy Street Fighter 4... this is one of those times. I must resist.

I just don't think I wouldn't be playing a lot, since I don't have any opportunity to play multiplayer on the iPhone. If only there was an online mode...

Despite what you've read, it's not really a good port. The framerate sucks and the game really doesn't look or move all that well. It's impressive that it wasn't complete shit, but that doesn't mean it's great either. Avoid it.

Jonnyram

heringer said:

:lol I am the same. Then I see the price. Not worth it, I think.

Aaron

How come Rage doesn't have tap to shoot? Seems like terrible design to me. Tilt is too imprecise, and thumbstick makes shooting awkward.

heringer

Got Rage HD. It's pretty cool, better than I expected. Screenshots definitely don't do the game justice. It looks awesome.

Too bad there's only 3 maps. But they are divided into episodes and seasons, so I'm sure they will be adding more content in the future. I just hope it's free. :D

dark10x said:
Despite what you've read, it's not really a good port. The framerate sucks and the game really doesn't look or move all that well. It's impressive that it wasn't complete shit, but that doesn't mean it's great either. Avoid it.
Yeah, I'll pass on this once again.

Though if they include online multiplayer one day I won't be able to resist. :lol

dark10x

Aaron said:
How come Rage doesn't have tap to shoot? Seems like terrible design to me. Tilt is too imprecise, and thumbstick makes shooting awkward.
It would be way too easy and your thumb would be all over the screen. Tilt to aim seems to work great to me.

Aaron

dark10x said:
It would be way too easy and your thumb would be all over the screen. Tilt to aim seems to work great to me.
Auto-aim makes Halo too easy, but that's in there five games later. Put separate leaderboards for control methods, but let me play the game in the way that's best.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out but as a golf lover, I'm very interested. If Full Fat nailed the physics like PikPok did in Flick Kick Football, I'm so getting this.

Flick Golf

fg_004.jpg
fg_003.jpg

via Toucharcade forums said:
FEATURES:

• Try to shoot the perfect score in Quickshot mode.
• Play World Tour, from the USA’s West Coast to Japan in the Far East.
• Varying wind from the lightest breeze, to full on gales!
• Incredibly accurate in-flight spin control.
• Stunningly realised 3D environments.
• Integrated Openfient leaderboards and achievements.
• Full high resolution Retina Display graphics for iPhone 4.
• Listen to your own music while you play!

SmokyDave

The more I play Rage HD, the more I enjoy it. I was a little disillusioned at first because it felt better on my iPad last night but after spending a little time playing with the controls and associated options, I'm perfectly happy with it on the little screen as well. Seem's I've found a new fag break favourite.

nofi

Jedeye Sniv said:
Oh wow, thanks man that's really helpful. Your tune sounds pretty sick btw, love the bass sounds you've got going on in there. I need this stuff! :D

Nanostudio is probably the best all-round music app. It's incredible.

Reese-015

Saw that Carmack also tweeted that the HD version should run 'ok' on the 3GS, decided to just put it to the test.

The hitches are minimal, the framerate is slightly lower and the loading times are about double. But the difference in texture detail is really really really hard to notice on the 3GS, only go HD if you're on iPad or iPhone 4!

dark10x

Aaron said:
Auto-aim makes Halo too easy, but that's in there five games later. Put separate leaderboards for control methods, but let me play the game in the way that's best.
Literally pointing at the enemies to kill them is entirely different than Halo which still demands skill from the player.

dark10x

60_gig_PS3 said:
not 100% sure about this but I dont think ipad supports gamecenter yet. So you have to choose to support universal app or gamecenter.
Not true. There are several universal games that still support Game Center.

Aaron

dark10x said:
Literally pointing at the enemies to kill them is entirely different than Halo which still demands skill from the player.
Right. This a shooting gallery, and like every shooting gallery that's been in the arcade ever, you literally point at the enemies to kill them. I'm guessing the real Rage will have tank-like controls... you know, to keep it from being too easy.

60_gig_PS3 said:
not 100% sure about this but I dont think ipad supports gamecenter yet. So you have to choose to support universal app or gamecenter.
4.2 has Game Center, and it's coming out within the next few days. The beta's had it for a month now.

dark10x said:
Not true. There are several universal games that still support Game Center.

ok I'm confused then I wasn't able to get it working. I thought gamecenter support for ipad was coming this month in IOS 4.2.

Rage mobile really needs leaderboards, once it has that i'll grab it :) I am tempted to trade/sell my 2g touch to cover half the cost on a 4g touch, really hope that amazon do a deal on one and at least knock a feq quid off, my 2g just isn't cutting it any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom