• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
8sanders said:
Garage band is a blast! Use a good set of headphones for the fullest enjoyment.

Seriously, that guitar is so much fun! I play bass in a band and so I'm quite musically minded, even though I can't play real guitar. This is just lovely and calming though, letting me strum along to it. I thought it was just a four track recorder, the instrument selection is blowing my mind.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm quite pleased to see that Roboto is really good on the iPad. I was super disappointed by it on the iPhone but it plays like a dream on the pad. I wish to god they'd patch it, the game itself is really solid and could be one of the best platformers on the device if they just optimised it properly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Well I might be upgrading from a Droid X to an iphone 4s because somehow I'm eligible to. Anyone have recommendations for games to play? I expected a recommendations list in the OP, but it wasn't there.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Trojita said:
Well I might be upgrading from a Droid X to an iphone 4s because somehow I'm eligible to. Anyone have recommendations for games to play? I expected a recommendations list in the OP, but it wasn't there.

It's not in the OP but read the first, say, 10 pages, a fair few of us posted lists of great apps there. It doesn't take long and if you're investing half a grand in a new phone, half an hour to get some game ideas can't hurt.

Fusebox

Banned
The last boss in Shadowgun is kicking my arse, well not him, his waves of cronies usually finish me off - I know what to do, I've had his health down so low but I'm just having trouble getting over the finish line.

3N16MA

Banned
Trojita said:

- Jetpack Joyride
- Fruit Ninja
- Real Racing 2
- Hard Lines
- World of Goo
- Tiny Wings
- Dead Space
- Infinity Blade
- Cut the Rope
- Mirror's Edge
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
- Plants vs Zombies
- Peggle
- Battleheart
- iBlast Moki 2
- Gesundheit!
- NBA JAM
- Groove Coaster
- Draw Race 2
- Game Dev Story
- Bumpy Road
- Doodle Jump

Not even a close to complete list just some recommendations to get you started.

Reese-015

It's maybe a bit unfortunate for the devs of Shadowgun that it somehow started with the reviews of their new game but I'm very happy that iOS reviews are finally becoming more critical, it was badly needed in this climate where everything that vaguely resembles something that could possibly maybe work as a low-budget console game gets exposure and praise. Let's hope reviewers hold on to that attitude with the upcoming Gameloft games and Gameloft gets the message, they have a lot of potential and would probably deliver if reviewers pushed them in the right direction.

Shadowgun still looks kinda cool to me though... Even if it's a poor man's GoW, for that price that doesn't sound half-bad. And tbh, from the cutscenes and gameplay that I've seen, the game definitely has some style and soul. Will grab it sooner or later.

The Dark Meadow looks really cool as well and it's awesome to see devs taking things a bit further in terms of serious production values and voice acting etc.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Reese-015 said:
It's maybe a bit unfortunate for the devs of Shadowgun that it somehow started with the reviews of their new game but I'm very happy that iOS reviews are finally becoming more critical, it was badly needed in this climate where everything that vaguely resembles something that could possibly maybe work as a low-budget console game gets exposure and praise. Let's hope reviewers hold on to that attitude with the upcoming Gameloft games and Gameloft gets the message, they have a lot of potential and would probably deliver if reviewers pushed them in the right direction.

Shadowgun still looks kinda cool to me though... Even if it's a poor man's GoW, for that price that doesn't sound half-bad. And tbh, from the cutscenes and gameplay that I've seen, the game definitely has some style and soul. Will grab it sooner or later.

The Dark Meadow looks really cool as well and it's awesome to see devs taking things a bit further in terms of serious production values and voice acting etc.

I think Silent Ops got panned pretty hard before Shadowgun came out. I really didn't enjoy Shadowgun all that much. I would much rather have a lower quality of graphics and better gameplay - and I hope devs learned something from the way this game has been received.

Xater

GDJustin said:
Bought the game based on the view and I like it. Although it obviously is an Infinity Blade clone. Only problem is that the German translation is terrible. Had to set my iPad to English. I wish apps like this would make it possible to select in the language in game, so I don't have to do it on a system level.

heringer

A developer said on Toucharcade that they will be looking into removing the end battle screen in the next update so it's not as jarring. A grip that IGN and other people have. Guess I'll wait then.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
heringer said:
A developer said on Toucharcade that they will be looking into removing the end battle screen in the next update so it's not as jarring. A grip that IGN and other people have. Guess I'll wait then.

I didn't gripe about the end battle screen. My only real complaint is that the combat is a bit thin for how much of it you do. The game is a bit too repetitive. Sometimes your only option for clearing a tough section is to grind out enemies until you have enough money to buy a better sword.

Dynamite Shikoku said:
Hard lines has been updated with a bunch of IAPs, including one that is $75. Deleted.

I wouldve been interested if it werent for that. meh... seems like us retro game fans are in the minority so if you havent already you should check out Curvebot Evolved currently my favorite game.

Fusebox

Banned
Reese-015 said:

It's fun! It's designed for 5-15 minute sessions, not for extended gaming sessions. Going into cover, reloading, vaulting over cover and the combined aim/fire button are enough to make the gunplay satisfying in short bursts (no pun intended). Guns are well balanced, the only real downers are the cheesy music that can't be turned off independent from the sound effects, a broken invert axis option and some unnecessary downtime in between gunfights.

As a mini-Gears-lite kind of thing I think it's ace.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
3N16MA said:
- Jetpack Joyride
- Fruit Ninja
- Real Racing 2
- Hard Lines
- World of Goo
- Tiny Wings
- Dead Space
- Infinity Blade
- Cut the Rope
- Mirror's Edge
- Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
- Plants vs Zombies
- Peggle
- Battleheart
- iBlast Moki 2
- Gesundheit!
- NBA JAM
- Groove Coaster
- Draw Race 2
- Game Dev Story
- Bumpy Road
- Doodle Jump

Not even a close to complete list just some recommendations to get you started.

Don't forget Galaxy on Fire 2.

Reese-015 said:
Lol, talk about defeating your own point. If this was released on anything but an iPhone people would say it's a shit rip-off, cheap or not.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Shadowgun is totally a good game. It's just not an exceptional one or a great one. Good is good. I'm not looking forward to mobile games going down the route that console games have gone down. "Meh... it got a 7. Skip it."

Frogger Pinball

2.jpg

Developed by "Silverball Studios" (
Game_Metroid.jpg
Game_Mario.jpg
)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/frogger-pinball/id467404593?mt=8

Fusebox

Banned
harriet the spy said:
Lol, talk about defeating your own point. If [insert random iOS title here] was released on anything but an iPhone people would say it's a shit rip-off, cheap or not.

Just to clarify, although I'm guilty of having compared Shadowgun to GoW, it is NOT a gears rip-off, anymore than any other game with a cover system and a bald space marine.

Gaspode_T

No one has tried this new brick game from Sega?

I finished 4 Elements yesterday (it's also on PSN for some strange reason, strange since it works so well with touch), it's mostly the same thing over and over until about the last 3 levels where out of the blue they throw in some pretty interesting new mechanics. I really enjoyed playing it from a catharsis perspective, it's a nice game to just kind of shut off your mind and swipe away gems. Pretty much all of the Playrix games are easy for serious gamers I think, but I could imagine more casual gamers having to retry a bunch of times and that is probably just around the right level of difficulty for this sort of match-3 genre game.

Warp Dash is fun but tilt sensitivity is too high and I wish it had touch controls.

Sudoku Rush from Hothead Games needs some sort of tutorial, I couldn't figure out what some of the different shapes mean and even though I bought an upgrade (with free gold that falls) I can't figure out what the upgrade was supposed to do.

Adam J.

Gaspode_T said:
No one has tried this new brick game from Sega?

Yeah, I have, unfortunately. To be honest, I really couldn't get past the low-rez graphics. Seems like a pretty boring puzzler to me, especially after playing Radballs and Monsters Ate My Condo.

Mrbob

Anomaly Warzone Earth is a hidden gem of mine on PC, and since the game is on sale on iOS I picked it up. Portable version is great! :D A bit scaled down versus the PC version, but still cool. I had wondered how the game would handle a separate controllable character you move along the screen with your units, and I see they just cut it out. Gets rid of some of the personality of the game but it isn't a huge deal. Works better this way with purely a touch screen for control. Levels seem a little scaled down too but the cool thing is the layout is different than the PC version. So it ends up being worth it to play both versions. My quibbles are small complaints, having a great time. For 99itouch/1.99 universal (I bought universal) it is a no brainer pick up!

beril

time for a shameless plug

I've finally released my new game. It's a simple but cute 3D platformer called Helium Boy.
8yGbh.jpg

trailer
iTunes
it's also available for Android

The game is inspired by Balloon Fight, and it's lesser known sequel Balloon Kid. You use balloons to fly through the levels and collect stars, while avoiding birds, flying ninjas and spikey things. If you loose your balloons you can use your pump to get new ones and you can also jump around without any balloons.

The game is ideally played on an Xperia PLAY, but it works decently on an iphone with an oncreen gamepad as well. It requires GLES2, so 3GS or later.

Some of you may actually remember this game (though it's very unlikely) from this thread. I made the first version way back in 2006 when I was still in Uni and then I dabbled a bit in Wii homebrew a few years ago and made a quick port. However this time the game is almost completely remade with new graphics and has a bunch of new levels and stuff (the original only had one level, this version has 8).

ShowDog

345triangle said:
eliss is free for a few days as a thank you to steve jobs.

http://appshopper.com/games/eliss

this was the first iOS game i really loved. absolutely recommended to anyone.

I came to post this. Definitely a bit different than any other game I've played, in an artsy way if you're into that kind of thing. Probably the first game I ever bought on iOS near 3 years ago now, and it's still great.

Frogger Pinball is from the same developers who made Metroid Prime Pinball? Awesome!

I was thinking about purchasing it earlier because I wanted a good pinball game. Now it's a no-brainer!

They make great pinball games. Hope they continue to update it with new tables!

Reese-015

harriet the spy said:
Lol, talk about defeating your own point. If this was released on anything but an iPhone people would say it's a shit rip-off, cheap or not.

As Fusebox said, it is not a clone or rip-off, certainly not based on what I've seen. Though you could say it's a poor man's GoW in terms of overall scope and quality.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
99 cent Gameloft sale for iphone and ipad:

9mm
Eternal Legacy
Modern Combat 2
Sacred Odyssey
The Settlers

I'm gonna finally check out 9mm. And if you haven't got Modern Combat 2 yet, you should get it cause its pretty good.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dynamite Shikoku said:
99 cent Gameloft sale for iphone and ipad:

9mm
Eternal Legacy
Modern Combat 2
Sacred Odyssey
The Settlers

I'm gonna finally check out 9mm. And if you haven't got Modern Combat 2 yet, you should get it cause its pretty good.

You know what, I'm going to buy some of these games.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Dynamite Shikoku said:
Woh. You playing Gameloft games now??

I figure if I lay down some bones then I have carte blanche to rip the shit out of the games if they're bad. Definitely gonna get 9mm and Modern Combat 2, will think about the others too.

heringer

I'm so done with Gameloft games. Bought Backstab for 0.99 and still regret it. It takes a whole new level of bad to make someone regret losing a buck.

Anyway, Dragon Vale is pretty cool time waster. Nice presentation, elegant interface and very charming overall. I like that it takes real time hours to get things done, so it's the kind of game you check every now and then for a couple of minutes. Any other game like this I should be checking out?

SmokyDave

Jedeye Sniv said:
I figure if I lay down some bones then I have carte blanche to rip the shit out of the games if they're bad. Definitely gonna get 9mm and Modern Combat 2, will think about the others too.
Same reason I bought a 3DS.

I'm going to grab 9mm. I don't know why, I still have Silent Ops and Backstab to play from the last Gameloft sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom