• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch Gaming |Thread4| NOT Doomed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Sorry for not mentioning, but yes, both my accounts were from different stores (i needed to make a US account to use freemyapps, my normal store is Canadian)

And the difference is, people who play mtg with the official software usually have time, screen-space and keyboard shortcuts to make everything go really fast. I just don't see it going that fast with touchscreen. Also, people who own mtg online have already invested a lot of money (it IS more expensive than iOS gaming) and are more likely more dedicated to spending a continuous hour in front of their pc, as opposed to "typical" iOS crowd who won't be gaming for an hour straight - that's simply not what the device is meant for. (and, sometimes, capable of, with battery life, data plans etc) And that's not even considering the technical restrictions (small screen, no shortcuts, etc)

soldat7

We're 8 strong, but the 3 of us who founded the company with our savings don't take salary - I live in my parents' basement, naturally. D: Obviously this can't go on forever if we don't make a "hit game" sooner or later. Ravenmark isn't exactly batting it out of the park.

Two people can do a lot, as you guys have shown :) NimbleBit (Tiny Tower, Pocket Frogs) is only two or three strong as well. I think the problem boils down to one thing: what kind of games do you eventually want to make?

This is an injustice of the highest order. Truly one one the better games on the platform. You guys should port to PC.

Zeth

Whoever set the world three requirements for a three star rating in LoE2 is an asshole. This is impossible...

I almost think they should patch it.

They definitely took fan feedback. I'm stumped on quite a few levels myself but I do enjoy it most of the time. In LoE 1 you could pretty much breeze through stages and get 3 stars as long as you didn't make any major errors, now you're really forced to find the most efficient route.

Vire

They definitely took fan feedback. I'm stumped on quite a few levels myself but I do enjoy it most of the time. In LoE 1 you could pretty much breeze through stages and get 3 stars as long as you didn't make any major errors, now you're really forced to find the most efficient route.

"Now that iCloud is resolved (hopefully with the next update). We are going to look at some adjustments to the game (double jump is working like in LOE1 now, jump sound effect is already added in, latest Joypad SDK for connectivity issues, etc.). We will also adjust the times of levels in the desert chapter."

Off Touch Arcade. :)

Shame the game didn't launch this way, but hey I'm happy they are fixing this stuff.

Anyone else just mindlessly reading the new reviews of pokemon yellow through out the day?

It's pretty great!

aaaannnd it's gone!!! what a good run for pokemon!

Zeth

Anyone else just mindlessly reading the new reviews of pokemon yellow through out the day?

It's pretty great!

aaaannnd it's gone!!! what a good run for pokemon!

I didn't understand how people are dumb enough to buy this, then today my brother told me got Pokemon yellow but it just crashes... I seriously LOL'd, just wow. Wonder if the publisher will face serious consequences. Their blog currently says that they're sorry for the inconvenience for those having trouble... wut?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I didn't understand how people are dumb enough to buy this, then today my brother told me got Pokemon yellow but it just crashes... I seriously LOL'd, just wow. Wonder if the publisher will face serious consequences. Their blog currently says that they're sorry for the inconvenience for those having trouble... wut?

It's a scam. Throw up a picture gallery, call it Pokemon, bury the "it's a gallery" after a complete description of the actual game, and rake in the cash until stopped. I guarantee they made more than they 100 bucks it takes to throw an app up on the App Store.

It's a scam. Throw up a picture gallery, call it Pokemon, bury the "it's a gallery" after a complete description of the actual game, and rake in the cash until stopped. I guarantee they made more than they 100 bucks it takes to throw an app up on the App Store.

Do Apple instantly pass the profits to the developer or is there some kind of payment delay to protect buyers from scam artists like this?

wondermega

so how does this work? App gets pulled - but does the "developer" actually see that money? Cause that is seriously a looOOooOOot of money..

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Do Apple instantly pass the profits to the developer or is there some kind of payment delay to protect buyers from scam artists like this?

Well, the only app I'm messing with HAS to be free. But, I'm guessing they'll see the money. Now, if Apple or Nintendo decides to sue, that may be a different story. Frankly, Nintendo sort of has to in this situation, or it won't be the last time something like this happens.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Payments occur monthly about 4 weeks after month end. So big chance these guys won't see anything.

How it is even up in the first place is beyond me. Based on functionality alone it should have failed submission.

Payments occur monthly about 4 weeks after month end. So big chance these guys won't see anything.

How it is even up in the first place is beyond me. Based on functionality alone it should have failed submission.

Apparently the process is all automated now... o_O. Who knows... if you find a chink in the armor.

SeanR1221

So Zombieville 2 is supposed to have iCloud support, right? I played a bunch on my iPad but it's not showing up on my iPhone. Does it take a while to sync over? I turned iCloud off and then on from the options menu, waited for Gamecenter to load, but nothing. Hmm.

Anyone?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Add gaspode-twd to your GC, I would welcome score competition (you might have beaten my puzzle score, don't remember what mine is)

I just looked at gamecenter, what's the difference between Puzzle Mode and (Mobile) Puzzle Mode? I seem to only have a highscore for the latter... Does it distinguish between ipad and iphone or what is that all about?

mrkgoo

I just looked at gamecenter, what's the difference between Puzzle Mode and (Mobile) Puzzle Mode? I seem to only have a highscore for the latter... Does it distinguish between ipad and iphone or what is that all about?

The boards are different sizes.

Been playing Beat Sneak which is beautifully made with very high production quality. It's got a tough difficulty curve though and I think they introduce too much too soon. I think players will still be getting used to the controls (especially the odd direction turning) by Level 2 so introducing security cameras and then security guards in level 3 is a little too early.

Will play again though for sure.

smuttlegiaco

Neo Member
COMIC SANS

Out of all the fonts you could have chosen, you picked Comic Sans

Is this a development choice or what. CAUSE ITS COMIC SANS

ps. I bought Heroes of Time so I am voicing my $2

hehe, if you mean "Nosferatu", no, our graphic man did did draw the logo. so no comic sans in the game. no worries.

the second campaign for Time of Heroes will also soon be ready. :)

Pfft, Jetpack is a cakewalk compared to Darkness Falls. I'm #16 out of 100k+ and only sitting on 12/20. I also don't see how people can get sick of endless runners. They're basically platformers, albeit ones perfectly tailored for the system. I'll definitely be giving the one a few posts up a looksie. Does the sun factor into the gameplay itself much?

well, if you see the sun, you're done! :D

Anilones

was there balance in Hero Academy at all?
most unbalanced mp-game ive played lately

http://www.robotentertainment.com/blog/detail/MMM-Hero-Academy-Update-Inbound said:
As an evolving competitive game, Hero Academy will experience typical challenges in the realm of balance. We identified that one of the main issues at high levels of play was the effectiveness of the Council's Knight. Simply put, they weren't presenting a good enough tradeoff for the Council player, and allowed for some overpowered brute force strategies (especially when matched with a Ninja and a Cleric). We decided to reduce their health so that a Council player will now have to provide better support for their forward Knights, and so that a correctly positioned dps unit like an upgraded Archer can take out a Knight and potentially stomp it in 5 action points using a scroll. To complement this change, we gave the Wizard a slight boost in the form of some innate magical Resist. This will strengthen the Wizard against Dark Elf Necromancers, for example.

Speaking of Necromancers, we reduced the health of the Phantom they spawn from KO’d units. The Necromancer is a very powerful mainline unit, and Phantoms present a significant AP (Action Point) efficiency hurdle for their opponent. Weakening the Phantom slightly will ensure that it can nearly always be destroyed by a single attack from any other unit. Along with this change, and in an effort to address a weakness in the Dark Elves' mainline unit arsenal, we increased the Void Monk's movement range and splash damage slightly. We found that players were using this unit mostly as cannon fodder, and he wasn't being used often enough to threaten enemy unit clustering. This change enables several new options for Dark Elves players.

We will continue monitoring balance, especially with the Dwarves entering the fray on Wednesday, and will continue to make changes where needed. Please keep submitting feedback and comments, and thanks very much for playing!

Shaneus

Several fairly severe balance issues, mainly toward the "good" (human) faction. Brick-wall knights and underpowered opposing team equivalents made it fairly unbalanced, especially if you stick with choosing random sides.

Gaaraz

Games will look WAY better. The jump to retina on iPhone was huge.
Wat? As someone who has only recently got an iPad 2 I may have a fairly blinkered view on this, but even now I can't notice the huge difference between the screen on my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4. I can't see the difference being anything like the difference of iPhone 3/3G -> iPhone 4.

Also what happened to GDJustin?

Cheebo

Banned
Wat? As someone who has only recently got an iPad 2 I may have a fairly blinkered view on this, but even now I can't notice the huge difference between the screen on my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4. I can't see the difference being anything like the difference of iPhone 3/3G -> iPhone 4.

Also what happened to GDJustin?

Because you are comparing a iPad 2 to a iPhone 4, iPad has a much higher rez screen than the pre-retina iPhone did. The most apt comparison is the jump from 3GS to 4 on iPhone. The jump from that is what the jump from iPad 2 to iPad 3 will be.

Left is retina, right is non-retina:
iPhone-4-vs-iPhone-3GS-Screen.jpg

Gaaraz

Cheebo, sorry I'm not disputing the awesomeness of retina, just trying to say that the iPad 2 screen to me looks really good. The 3GS screen (and the screen on every iPhone before that) was quite terrible.

When I held up my old 3G screen against my iPhone 4 the difference was astonishing, but again, the screen and resolution of the iPad 2 doesn't look bad to me, not at all

Ministration

Neo Member
Cheebo, sorry I'm not disputing the awesomeness of retina, just trying to say that the iPad 2 screen to me looks really good. The 3GS screen (and the screen on every iPhone before that) was quite terrible.

When I held up my old 3G screen against my iPhone 4 the difference was astonishing, but again, the screen and resolution of the iPad 2 doesn't look bad to me, not at all
A lot of the visual impact of an iPad 2 also relates to viewing distance. We tend to hold tablets a few extra inches away from our faces than we do with cellphones. Comparing the 3GS to the 4 or 4S is a fair comparison, but it's pretty much apples and oranges if you try to compare the iPad to any of the iPhones.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A lot of the visual impact of an iPad 2 also relates to viewing distance. We tend to hold tablets a few extra inches away from our faces than we do with cellphones. Comparing the 3GS to the 4 or 4S is a fair comparison, but it's pretty much apples and oranges if you try to compare the iPad to any of the iPhones.

I disagree. I got my iPad 2 after having an iPhone 4 for a few months, and I was kind of let down by the screen. Text is visibly less clear on it than on the retina display and it takes a little adjusting when coming from the ultra high res little screen. I'm used to it now, but I still think a retina iPad will be godly for reading books and comics on (which I do a lot of)

Pachimari

Has any of you tried EA's The Simpsons: Tapped Out?

It's instantly #1 in Denmark and its real great. It plays like Smurfs and those games - you can build Springfield just like you want! I'm not even a Simpsons fan and I like it, pretty graphics.

Meier

Has any of you tried EA's The Simpsons: Tapped Out?

It's instantly #1 in Denmark and its real great. It plays like Smurfs and those games - you can build Springfield just like you want! I'm not even a Simpsons fan and I like it, pretty graphics.

I saw an article about it a few days ago that said EA was expecting HUGE things out of it. The graphics looked fantastic.. I'll probably check it out.

EYEL1NER

Just bought Little Acorns or whatever it is called.
The comments on it on iTunes and reviews made it sound good, so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom