• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The iPhone 4 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbox

PwnCakes193 said:
What cases do you guys use/recommend?

I love my bumper for some reason, but I just got an Incase slider and it's pretty good. What does everyone else use?

I use the speck pixel case in black, love it and it doesn't look tacky.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Pristine_Condition said:
Naw. I heard that "Amateur Hour is OVER!"

;)
Come on, I already said amateur hour is Android's and Android's apps' UI ;)

From Engadget's Galaxy S 2 review:

For a handset with such a broad range of standout features and specs, the Galaxy S II is remarkably easy to summarize. It's the best Android smartphone yet, but more importantly, it might well be the best smartphone, period. Of course, a 4.3-inch screen size won't suit everyone, no matter how stupendously thin the device that carries it may be, and we also can't say for sure that the Galaxy S II would justify a long-term iOS user foresaking his investment into one ecosystem and making the leap to another. Nonetheless, if you're asking us what smartphone to buy today, unconstrained by such externalities, the Galaxy S II would be the clear choice. Sometimes it's just as simple as that.
Hardware wise, maybe. Specs are beast and the screen, other than PPI, is great. But it looks like garbage sitting next to the iPhone 4. I doubt any non-techheads will be replacing their iPhone for a SGS2. Sometimes it's just as simple as that.

This might be picky but does anyone know how to make albums in the iPod app show up in the order that they were released?

this is the section im talking about:
n7T6J.png

giga

Pristine_Condition said:
NPD: iPhone 4 #1 in the USA

Q1 NPD Highlights

-iPhone launch on Verizon was a huge event.

-For the first time ever, smartphone sales topped feature phone sales. Total sales of smartphones up 8%, making up 54% of total phone sales.

-Biggest manufacturers: Samsung-23%, LG-18%, Apple-14%

-iPhone 4 is the #1 handset model in the USA. iPhone 3GS was #2. Droid X was #3.

-For the first time in nearly two years, Android marketshare fell. From 53% to 50%.

-Apple marketshare increased 9%, jumping from 19% to 28%.

-RIM continues to fall, from 19% to 14%
Source: http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_110428.html

9% increase in a quarter is pretty significant for a 7 month old phone. Guess people really did hold out for Verizon.

LCfiner

SuicideUZI said:
This might be picky but does anyone know how to make albums in the iPod app show up in the order that they were released?

this is the section im talking about:
n7T6J.png

can't do it on the iphone. it's a bummer.

workaround is to make a playlist and sort it by album/year and sync it to the iphone. the iphone will keep the sorting... but then scrolling through it to find one album is a pain.

kehs

Banned
however, total handset unit sales fell 1 percent
interesting bit about the overall picture and saturation, it more or less turns things into a different competition if the overall marketshare isn't growing

giga

numble said:
Why didn't NPD report WP numbers? They did last quarter.
Probably not significant.

Q4 2010

Android: 53%
iPhone: 19%
Blackberry: 19%

Total: 91%

Q1 2011

Android: 50%
iPhone: 28%
Blackberry: 14%

Total: 92%

What else is there besides WP7 in the US? We know Symbian and WebOS didn't go anywhere.

Burger

giga said:
Probably not significant.

Q4 2010

Android: 53%
iPhone: 19%
Blackberry: 19%

Total: 91%

Q1 2011

Android: 50%
iPhone: 28%
Blackberry: 14%

Total: 92%

What else is there besides WP7 in the US? We know Symbian and WebOS didn't go anywhere.

Silly numbers. iOS is at the top of that chart. If you are listing handset manufacturers, do so.

iOS has a 56% lead over Android.

giga said:
Source: http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_110428.html

9% increase in a quarter is pretty significant for a 7 month old phone. Guess people really did hold out for Verizon.

I remember suggesting such in the Android thread, after a number of posters were making claims that the Verizon iPhone debut would have no effect on Android. I based my challenge to that prediction on a well-reported (but completely ignored on the Android thread, naturally) scientific survey that came to that conclusion through their data. The only "discussion" this prompted in the Android thread was people overreacting, and having a mod not-so-subtly mention something about people getting banned to me.

Of course I took the hint, and left that thread for good. I've had no problems in the iOS thread, the RIM thread, the WebOS thread, or the WP7 thread, but apparently I didn't understand that thread's policy that legit news stories from legit sources were not allowed.

I wonder if they're talking about the NPD story in there... [looks] Yeah...that's what I thought. Total code of silence over there, even though this is now the top story on Google News for smartphones.

LCfiner

Burger said:
How does it make sense to compare an operating system to a handset?

"We don’t see reports of Windows 7 being compared to a Dell computer and then making assumptions about market share based on their sales. Why? Because, that would be stupid."

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/28/the-truth-about-android-vs-iphone-market-share/

in context, I think giga was posting that more to show how much share WP7 could have when adding up all the other smartphones (re: the post he quoted).

numble

Burger said:
How does it make sense to compare an operating system to a handset?

"We don’t see reports of Windows 7 being compared to a Dell computer and then making assumptions about market share based on their sales. Why? Because, that would be stupid."

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/28/the-truth-about-android-vs-iphone-market-share/
They are just comparing handset sales in the latest quarter. They aren't comparing non-phone Android devices. They include a comparison of individual handset models in the report as well, comparing iPhone 4 sales to the others in the top 5, iPhone 3GS, Motorola Droid X, HTC EVO 4G, and HTC Droid Incredible.

I think it makes sense to compare what type of phone ecosystems phone purchasers are buying into, even if the operating system is also on non-phone devices, or if the operating system is on multiple devices. They include the 2 iPhone 3GS SKUs with the 4 models of iPhone 4 sold (soon to be 8, with the 4 new white SKUs, so 10 total models of iPhones going forward). And they combine all Blackberry models under Blackberry.

Burger

What can you infer from handset sales filtered to operating system market share?

It doesn't show you who is making money, that's for sure.

kehs

Banned
Burger said:
What can you infer from handset sales filtered to operating system market share?

It doesn't show you who is making money, that's for sure.

you can infer who has more influence in whats to come next

kehs

Banned
Burger said:
Like when the iPhone had 0% market share?

you dont think the iphone would have launched on every carrier if apple actually had pull in the cell world before it came out?

mrkgoo

Huh, well how about that: looks like the white iPhone 4 is slightly thicker (0.2mm).

195018-white_iPhone_depth-036_500.jpg

It looks to me like the front screen only. I wonder if it's a response to make the front screen stronger, or that they needed it thicker to be less translucent.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Funny how Gruber linked to that article and blew it off in a huff. Yes, more information is a bad thing!

LCfiner said:
can't do it on the iphone. it's a bummer.

workaround is to make a playlist and sort it by album/year and sync it to the iphone. the iphone will keep the sorting... but then scrolling through it to find one album is a pain.

I just decided to rename the albums with the year they were released so they'd be in order, like so:

jYBGC.png

numble

hirokazu said:
I didn't know there was a mechanism for charging customers for an app again after they'd already purchased a previous version.
Looks like it's for people who never purchased it previously?

numble said:
Looks like it's for people who never purchased it previously?
Had it happen before. I share apps with my girlfriend. To fix it, sign in with the App Store account it's tied to.

Of course everyone jumps to piracy first.

Burger

Copernicus said:
you dont think the iphone would have launched on every carrier if apple actually had pull in the cell world before it came out?

Umm No. Apple got some great terms from AT&T/Cingular back then.

Besides, given the state of the American carrier system back then, Verizon wouldn't have taken a phone that was on AT&T...

SuicideUZI said:
I just decided to rename the albums with the year they were released so they'd be in order, like so:

jYBGC.png

You can also accomplish this using the "Sort Album" tag field. If you put what you renamed the albums to in that field, they should get listed in chronological order regardless of what you have in the "Album" field.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
CaramaC said:
Its to be expected really, that 0.2mm will render a lot of the snap on or close fitting cases useless.
So what? Return the phone and get a black one then if you are going to put a case over it anyway. It's utter stupidity.

Husker86

esquire said:
So what? Return the phone and get a black one then if you are going to put a case over it anyway. It's utter stupidity.
Why are you so angry? The prospect of needing even more case models for some styles is confusing all around.

dream said:
Did you actually buy that app?
Yeah I did. My phone got stolen so I got a brand new phone. Decided to redownload the apps and it wouldn't let me since Tht particular update of the app is not available in store. Called customer service and they couldn't help me in any way. Posted this on reddit and got downvoted cause apparently this is developer's decision and not apple's.

Paid for shit loads of games, shit loads of apps, TomTom, etc.

EDIT: No, I don't have installous since I don't need it for I love supporting devs. This move may force me to get it though.. Will call CS again and get the shit fixed.

Blackhead

Redarse
shagg_187 said:
Yeah I did. My phone got stolen so I got a brand new phone. Decided to redownload the apps and it wouldn't let me since Tht particular update of the app is not available in store. Called customer service and they couldn't help me in any way. Posted this on reddit and got downvoted cause apparently this is developer's decision and not apple's.

Bullshit.
which app is that and who is the developer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom