• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jimquisition: A Difficult Subject (difficulty options in games)

Saruhashi

Banned
I think it makes perfect sense when you frame things as games. The job market is a game, getting good seats at the movies is a game, getting your groceries is a game: you can win or you can lose.

You can play for fun, and that's great. I play a ton of games for fun. But the line where my fun affects those who play to win, is when the condition for my fun affects the integrity of the game.

We can look at golf as a sort of hybrid single-player/multi-player experience. Do you really want to see some shlub with a 20 handicap playing on the Masters course with Tiger Woods? Maybe I kinda wouldb but I definitely don't want to hear what he has to say about the proper way to play golf. That's where the critical component comes in.

This isn't about gamer v gamer, "you can't have fun playing games I take seriously". The more the merrier. This is about protecting the integrity of games and winning them from the top-down against this nonsense agenda.

Great post.

I think a lot of things make sense when you understand certain people's views on meritocracy and then try to see how that could apply to videogames.

In those basic terms I feel like the conversation is along the lines of:
Developers: "If you want to get to the next level you have to be good enough, no exceptions"
Certain Gamers:"NO! You can't do that! The levels should ALL be accessible!"

It basically ends up looking like people asking a developer to change the game because they disagree with the underlying philosophy of what that game actually is.

EDMIX

I think it makes perfect sense when you frame things as games. The job market is a game, getting good seats at the movies is a game, getting your groceries is a game: you can win or you can lose.

You can play for fun, and that's great. I play a ton of games for fun. But the line where my fun affects those who play to win, is when the condition for my fun affects the integrity of the game.

We can look at golf as a sort of hybrid single-player/multi-player experience. Do you really want to see some shlub with a 20 handicap playing on the Masters course with Tiger Woods? Maybe I kinda wouldb but I definitely don't want to hear what he has to say about the proper way to play golf. That's where the critical component comes in.

This isn't about gamer v gamer, "you can't have fun playing games I take seriously". The more the merrier. This is about protecting the integrity of games and winning them from the top-down against this nonsense agenda.

"This is about protecting the integrity of games and winning them from the top-down against this nonsense agenda. " Ok...you can still do that on a normal mode just like you can still platinum the game, speed run it etc. Unless someone is doing something to directly stop you from doing that or anything, I don't really care.

I've never cared how how someone else plays their game if it doesn't effect me. So, not a speed run, not a MP title, then its not really that much of a real issue other then this whole "integrity" thing. So if I play it with mods you going to get upset or something? smh. Its just not that serious man.

Play how you play, I'll play how I play. I've never had an issue with how someone plays when its just a single player type game and its not some competition or anything. I don't now how many folks really getting emotionally upset cause someone modded a game or played it on easy that they beat on hard..... I don't know if I could ever take someone seriously that gets so emotional over that.

EDMIX

No and people need to understand that not being able to beat a certain game is one of the downsides of an interactive medium.

Agreed. Its why i'm ok with folks who play with mods or on easy. They want to play that way? Sure.... who cares? That doesn't bother me.

My sister saw me playing Skyrim years ago and really got into watching me play. She love the sims, GTA series, Animal Crossing, Shenmue, Yakuza series etc. So I got it for her one year when she moved to Seattle. She barely played it, when I ask why, she told me she kept getting killed and couldn't really do the quest. When she came back home, I actually installed the mods on PS4 to just level her up lol

She has now completed Skyrim, she loves it and went HAM on it lol So i just don't care how SOMEONE ELSE is playing it if it doesn't effect me. Would I play Skyrim this way? No, I love leveling up and surviving etc. My sister doesn't enjoy that and she almost missed a great game if it wasn't for those mods. So this has me looking at settings in games so differently cause she has literally over 200 hours in Skyrim that she put in a few short weeks and she made a new character lol

So who am I to say "this game isn't for you?" For all I know, with mods and an easy mode....its exactly for her.

So I support easy modes in games, I support mods etc.

Nothing about this stupid "integrity" thing. We are talking about a video game for fun, not the Olympic try outs folks. That narrative sounds so desperate lol

edit. Keep in mind, NOTHING is to say someone can't see SPEEDRUNNG that way or a Multiplayer game etc I 100% support that concept with those communities as it is for the sake of a competition, but not when it comes to a single player game where the enjoyment is based on the user.

If someone wants to beat a game using a DDR pad, who on earth am I to say that is hurting my integrity of how I beat it or something?

Last edited:

Airola

To use EDMIX EDMIX 's example: no, it doesn't affect my personal win condition of finishing a marathon if you decide to take an Uber to the finish line, but it undermines the integrity of the game, and is an insult to my accomplishment that you are now in the exclusive group of winners. Your bad faith efforts cheapen my experience.

Yes, exactly. And it's also different to have some odd uninvolved guy to offer you a ride to the finish line than having the people who have set the marathon up to offer this choice to the runners.

zenspider

"This is about protecting the integrity of games and winning them from the top-down against this nonsense agenda. " Ok...you can still do that on a normal mode just like you can still platinum the game, speed run it etc. Unless someone is doing something to directly stop you from doing that or anything, I don't really care.

I've never cared how how someone else plays their game if it doesn't effect me. So, not a speed run, not a MP title, then its not really that much of a real issue other then this whole "integrity" thing. So if I play it with mods you going to get upset or something? smh. Its just not that serious man.

Play how you play, I'll play how I play. I've never had an issue with how someone plays when its just a single player type game and its not some competition or anything. I don't now how many folks really getting emotionally upset cause someone modded a game or played it on easy that they beat on hard..... I don't know if I could ever take someone seriously that gets so emotional over that.

I think for the most part I agree with you - definitely on a personal 'IRL' level.
Just when it comes to the brass tax here, "should games have an easy mode?" I'm trying to elucidate the reasoning for saying 'no' and the unforseen consequences of saying 'yes'.

I'm all for accessibility, including mods and accessories if necessary, but I'm very skeptical of 'inclusive' options.

I think it's a consequence of the "cinematic" approach of design - there is no threshold the viewer has to cross to get to the end of a movie other than getting through the boring or difficult parts, and that seems like the best argument for an 'easy mode' in games as well. Witcher 3 is probably the best example. I've heard both the case for easy mode and the hardest mode to help salvage what is consensus the worst part of that game - the combat.

I guess where I'm drawing the line is videogames that still have their lineage rooted in "games", i.e things you win, beat, or have non-ending related win conditions (high scores, time runs, victories, etc). Deep arcade style games have been protecting the integrity of the game for years: limited continues, no leaderboard posts in inclusive modes, etc.

I'm framing the discussion in my head this way: insofar as a game like Sekiro is rooted in the "game" style game versus the cinematic style, it should not have an easy mode that is considered part of the intended experience.

Saruhashi

Banned
Play how you play, I'll play how I play.

And when a developer says "no, you'll all play how we want you to play"?
Is there no room for that at all?

I mean, that's how I approach a From Software game.
I want THEM to show me something. I want to see only what they want to show.

Is that hard to understand for some people?

Like, if I were to go to a 3-star Michelin restaurant I have to say I don't really want to see a ton of options on the menu.
I literally just want to see what the chefs come up with, you know?

I mean, sometimes I don't necessarily want to have options or choices.
I hear you say "that doesn't mean I shouldn't have choices" and that's fine but then you can't big up games as some amazing and profound art form when you're going to start crying the moment a dev decides to do their own thing and ONLY their own thing.

I think there is value in art that is uncompromising.
I think that when art that is uncompromising meets with demands for compromise... that's kind of sad.

To me you're like a guy going to this restaurant
https://komago-cuisine.com/
and then you send your dish back because you want ketchup on it.

Sure... "I just want my dish with ketchup" isn't some kind of world ending and invalid perspective but it makes the customer look like a total clown.

Yeah, it doesn't harm me if you smear a work of art with shite but my underlying opinion is "maybe you shouldn't do that".

So take your easy mode, shine it up real nice, turn that sumbitch sideways AND-

checkcola

Games that are marketed as hard are a genre upon themselves. The moment you take it out, then what is it? Perhaps a jorno-God mode for reviewers who have a deadline coming up? Homogenizing everything so there's no unique experiences, in my eye, that'd actually kill "accessibility." Same reason I can't stand woke Sony for its recent censorship uptick. I don't remember any of this stuff when I was a child. Hope none of these games give into the talking heads.

EDMIX

I think for the most part I agree with you - definitely on a personal 'IRL' level.
Just when it comes to the brass tax here, "should games have an easy mode?" I'm trying to elucidate the reasoning for saying 'no' and the unforseen consequences of saying 'yes'.

I'm all for accessibility, including mods and accessories if necessary, but I'm very skeptical of 'inclusive' options.

I think it's a consequence of the "cinematic" approach of design - there is no threshold the viewer has to cross to get to the end of a movie other than getting through the boring or difficult parts, and that seems like the best argument for an 'easy mode' in games as well. Witcher 3 is probably the best example. I've heard both the case for easy mode and the hardest mode to help salvage what is consensus the worst part of that game - the combat.

I guess where I'm drawing the line is videogames that still have their lineage rooted in "games", i.e things you win, beat, or have non-ending related win conditions (high scores, time runs, victories, etc). Deep arcade style games have been protecting the integrity of the game for years: limited continues, no leaderboard posts in inclusive modes, etc.

I'm framing the discussion in my head this way: insofar as a game like Sekiro is rooted in the "game" style game versus the cinematic style, it should not have an easy mode that is considered part of the intended experience.

I fully understand what you mean and where you are coming from. You can always enjoy how hard stuff like Sekiro is just as much as someone can always enjoy modding it. The industry has room for both concepts and many play styles. Gaming might be rooted in the concept of "game" like beat or win, conquer etc, but its evolved into so many things in terms of entertainment, but a conversation for another day on another thread. I'll always see the room for both as the medium is very complex and allows for many ideas vs music, film, books etc.

EDMIX

Games that are marketed as hard are a genre upon themselves. The moment you take it out, then what is it? Perhaps a jorno-God mode for reviewers who have a deadline coming up? Homogenizing everything so there's no unique experiences, in my eye, that'd actually kill "accessibility." Same reason I can't stand woke Sony for its recent censorship uptick. I don't remember any of this stuff when I was a child. Hope none of these games give into the talking heads.

"The moment you take it out," ? Most if not all of us are not really asking to take anything out.... the normal mode will still exist.. "Games that are marketed as hard are a genre upon themselves" Agreed....but you can still have a masterfully hard game and still have different modes. It just isn't some either or. I mean, consider someone modded the game....its still marketed as hard and folks still like and play it.

Those that modded it hasn't stopped anyone as of yet for enjoy how hard the game is for others.

Saruhashi

Banned
Yes, exactly. And it's also different to have some odd uninvolved guy to offer you a ride to the finish line than having the people who have set the marathon up to offer this choice to the runners.

For sure I wouldn't lose any sleep over one guy jumping in a taxi and getting to the finish. I'd think he's a massive bell-end but I'd hardly be upset.

Eventually though it's 10 people doing that and then it's 100 and then... you get the idea.
So ultimately you have to consider the integrity of the event going forward.
Otherwise your event is an "anything goes" farce and runners don't want to show up next time.

You have to ask "are we here to challenge ourselves to do the 26.2 miles or are we just here for a nice cab ride"?

Most runners are not competitive. For most people, getting yourself round the course is a massive undertaking. For most people though, that's the point.

These lads doing Sekiro with no hits and no deaths etc? They are like your elite runners.
Normal lads like me who can just about complete the game? We are the regular runners just enjoying the hobby but are still framing it in the context of the big challenge.
People demanding cheats and easy modes and using mods while "feeling fine". The common word for such people is "scum". :)

I don't disagree with your defining of art - it's quite beautiful actually. But in this discussion, if you keep drawing a bigger circle around the point it's only getting harder to get at it.

Maybe we can agree on a bright line here: art can be highly subjective, but winning much less so. Designing a game has to have that limitation in mind. A game without a win condition is no longer game, wether it is art, artful, or not. Can we agree on that?

I can mostly agree with that, although to be as impartial as possible - not trying to be argumentative - there are quite a number of "things" we call video games that have no win condition. Maybe some would call those interactive entertainment, or audio-visual experiences, but they still go by the label of "video games" to most people.

But the idea of winning being less-subjective, I can certainly agree with - although even that is not always a black and white issue either - few things are imo.

But isn't it different to say something is an art than something being art.
Like, there is an art of knife throwing, but someone throwing knives isn't a piece of art.

In my opinion games aren't art by default, but there can be games that are art. I don't think every piece of music is art either, or that every movie is are or every painting is art. There is an art of making them but the end result or the process of doing them isn't art. Some are but not all.

I don't think something being pleasing to the eye alone is art or that if something brings out emotions is art either. I think there has to be this layer of the work telling things and truths that a person can understand but what can't be put to words easily.

I understand your perspective, but everything always comes back to the definition of art. Sure there is a dictionary definition, but in reality art is an ethereal, intangible thing with no clearly defined boundaries. Art to one is not art to another. This has been the case for as long as art has existed as a concept. It is very much a personal thing.

For me, in response to your example about knife-throwing, I think that physical actions can most certainly be art. Is Ballet art? For me it is. Was living the life of a Samurai art? For me, yes. Is living a monastic life art? For me it is. I realize my definition of art is much broader in scope than many, but that is part of the beauty of the whole notion of art. It's open to interpretation, and it can be seen and appreciated wherever it is found, by whoever finds it.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I can only speak for myself of course, but for me:

1. It's annoying
I will have to think about and bother with what difficulty to choose. This is annoying in every game that has multiple difficulties, but the worst offenders are the ones that get cute and don't call it easy-normal-hard, but recruit-soldier-veteran-general... and so on.. that forces me to waste time to ask others what the best difficulty to play the game on is..

2. There is a psychological impact.
Whenever I get to a hard part in a game, after a few tries, I will have that voice in the back of my head saying stuff like "Are you an idiot? Why are you not lowering the difficulty? What a waste of time".
But the fact of the matter is, if it's just a single part that is a problem for me then I really do not want to lower the overall difficulty. I want to experience the game the way it was meant to be played and most of the time it's not clear what the difficulty option changes in the game). So I'm experiencing unnecessary stress that has nothing to do with the game and it makes me give up and stop playing the game altogether sooner or I give in, lower the difficulty and lose interest anyway, because it's just no longer the same. (This has happened to me before, with other games)

3. If I knew nothing about this game and developer, have no Internet/friends or the willingness to ask; and see "Easy" and "Normal" in the game.. Well, I would probably start on normal and end up getting murdered. Now, expecting a "normal, modern" game I would probably conclude that the developers messed up the balancing and change to easy, possibly ruining some of what makes the game special unknowingly..

I can avoid that without difficulty options. If a game is too hard for me and/or I get bored I just play something else.
I would like to add that I got destroyed by that Dark Souls 1 DLC Boss and thus didn't finish that game. So, I'm really not an "Elite" gamer that doesn't care about difficulty because I'm just that good...
1. I generally stick with normal when presented with options, making the assumption that it has been balanced around normal, and in the instances where they get cute with the names there is usually a medium option - At least there is in Wolfenstein TNO/TOB & II:TNC - The other series I can think of is Halo with Easy/Normal/Heroic/Legendary... and confusingly Heroic is described as "The way Halo is meant to be played". Fair point, and that seems to be part of a larger problem with offering difficulty levels but part of me can't see having no options as really solving the problem.

2. Appreciate the honesty. I'm guilty of similar behaviour (so not judging here) but that is a discipline issue combined with potential difficulty spikes that are a developer problem. Spikes were given a quick fix when games started generally allowing you to change difficulty without starting over.
It seems like a silly idea but some sort of tame digital lock can provide enough of a barrier to reinforce the desired behaviour. Whether a dev would or should consider that in tandem with a hard game that offers tamer settings, I don't know.

3. Again, fair point but could potentially be mitigated by information in the game explaining itself a little. Not foolproof, of course.

Seems to come down to whether someone considers experiencing the game suboptimally as worse than being dissatisfied with the game and giving up. I personally can't form a overall sweeping opinion on that and I'd have to think through it on a game by game basis.
Thanks for the thoughtful response, appreciate it!

But if someone is playing a version of Dark Souls where they can just tank all the hits and never have to learn or overcome anything, they aren’t actually playing the same game.
The cycle of dying, learning, and overcoming is integral to the experience Dark Souls. The oppressive atmosphere and constant caution you have while playing is completely invalidated when you know thta nothing is a threat and you’ll survive every encounter unscathed. There is no tension, no fear, no caution. All these deliberate choices of invoking emotion from the player are made by the devs are completely invalidated in an easy mode.

The major point of the gameplay is learning from your mistakes. If you just increase the threshold of mistakes a player can make before they die to the point that they never die and never learn anything at all, that defeats the whole purpose.
Tanking every hit is a bit more than easy mode, IMHO, but yes taken to that extreme would likely compromise the gameplay. I suggested in my post that it could be possible to offer an easier option without compromising it. I'm not sure tweaking HP/damage and the like is the best option for a Souls game, even if that is often chosen by other devs. More generous blocks/counters, longer openings to take advantage of. Depending on balance, not necessarily huge changes to those values.

An easy mode won’t ruin my experience, but anyone who plays it will have an inherently lesser experience than someone who plays it as-intended. Again, anyone who would play a FromSoft game on easy wouldn’t actually be playing the same game as me.
Good to know re: your experience - Would the latter still be the case if the easier option weren't so heavy handed? If the player was generally worse at the technical aspects and chose the easier option. It could be just as difficult for them as it would be for you. If they're of equal capability as you and they still chose the easier option then yeah, they've probably moved the needle too far in their favour and won't get the same experience.

zenspider

I fully understand what you mean and where you are coming from. You can always enjoy how hard stuff like Sekiro is just as much as someone can always enjoy modding it. The industry has room for both concepts and many play styles. Gaming might be rooted in the concept of "game" like beat or win, conquer etc, but its evolved into so many things in terms of entertainment, but a conversation for another day on another thread. I'll always see the room for both as the medium is very complex and allows for many ideas vs music, film, books etc.

Totally agree. And I'm looking forward to that other conversation:)

Saruhashi

Banned
"The moment you take it out," ? Most if not all of us are not really asking to take anything out.... the normal mode will still exist.. "Games that are marketed as hard are a genre upon themselves" Agreed....but you can still have a masterfully hard game and still have different modes. It just isn't some either or. I mean, consider someone modded the game....its still marketed as hard and folks still like and play it.

Those that modded it hasn't stopped anyone as of yet for enjoy how hard the game is for others.

Except IF the point of the game is that it is challenging then you are offering the choice to remove the whole point of the endeavor.

It's disingenuous to say "we won't be removing anything, just adding options" when you know damn well that part of the prestige and shine of From Software games in the fact that you cannot easily shy away from the challenges the game lays down.

This conversation goes round and round and we still have people acting like "but if they added an easy mode it wouldn't change anything".
Of course it fucking would and that has been explained over and over.

That there is no "easy mode" is part of the appeal. Get it?

If you can convince me that a MAJOR selling point of From Software games isn't the challenge and the difficulty and the awarding nature of overcoming those then I can concede maybe they should add easy mode.

This is how they chose to market Dark Souls: Remastered:

So, good luck with that.
Maybe you need an easy mode for this too?

zenspider

I can mostly agree with that, although to be as impartial as possible - not trying to be argumentative - there are quite a number of "things" we call video games that have no win condition. Maybe some would call those interactive entertainment, or audio-visual experiences, but they still go by the label of "video games" to most people.

But the idea of winning being less-subjective, I can certainly agree with - although even that is not always a black and white issue either - few things are imo.

I understand your perspective, but everything always comes back to the definition of art. Sure there is a dictionary definition, but in reality art is an ethereal, intangible thing with no clearly defined boundaries. Art to one is not art to another. This has been the case for as long as art has existed as a concept. It is very much a personal thing.

For me, in response to your example about knife-throwing, I think that physical actions can most certainly be art. Is Ballet art? For me it is. Was living the life of a Samurai art? For me, yes. Is living a monastic life art? For me it is. I realize my definition of art is much broader in scope than many, but that is part of the beauty of the whole notion of art. It's open to interpretation, and it can be seen and appreciated wherever it is found, by whoever finds it.

We're finding common ground here, which is great. I think we're bumping up against terms that are no longer capturing everything we want them to mean. 'Video games" is clearly a legacy holdover from when they were exclusively that - games. I don't want to besmirch other interactive experiences with labels like "non-games" - even interactive experiences comes off a bit dergoatory - but that distinction would be super useful in this discussion.

I understand (appreciate) where your coming from as far as games and art, but brass tax, where does this view come into play on the topic of "easy modes"?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Jim is a tasteless, insufferable pedant.

if he was an art critic he would dismiss Rothko and all of abstract expressionism as a "waste of the customer's time". he would do Lazy Devs rants on Minimalism. "Picasso, get back to us when you can stay inside the lines, love"

he isn't concerned with art but commerce. he should be reviewing cars or vacuum cleaners or something.

Last edited:
We're finding common ground here, which is great. I think we're bumping up against terms that are no longer capturing everything we want them to mean. 'Video games" is clearly a legacy holdover from when they were exclusively that - games. I don't want to besmirch other interactive experiences with labels like "non-games" - even interactive experiences comes off a bit dergoatory - but that distinction would be super useful in this discussion.

I understand (appreciate) where your coming from as far as games and art, but brass tax, where does this view come into play on the topic of "easy modes"?

Well obviously we've gone off on a bit of a tangent. This line of conversation began with my response to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi about games not being art.

Games aren't art. They're toys that use art assets instead of ASCII symbols.

I would disagree with this idea. Games are very much art, but they are mechanically interactive art as well as intellectually interactive - a different type of art, an art in its own category.

But we've covered the main topic of this thread - seemingly endlessly - in this and other topics. But to try to tie it all together for me. In the creation of art (any art - which I consider video games to be), it is not up to those experiencing the art to dictate to the artist what their expression should be. That idea is absurd to me. There would be no unique expression if all art was communal. The artist(s) alone is responsible for conveying their vision, and in this case, the singular difficulty is obviously part of that vision in my opinion. (For reasons I and others have covered.)

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but that is about as concise as I can put my view in relation to art and its expression having relevance to the subject of "easy modes".

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well obviously we've gone off on a bit of a tangent. This line of conversation began with my response to DunDunDunpachi DunDunDunpachi about games not being art.
A prerequisite for "art" is that it transcends its own medium. A wrought-iron gate can still have artistry just like an archway can have artistry, but John Ruskin wouldn't classify a Gothic cathedral as "art" merely because it has nice gates and nice archways.

Let us then understand at once that change or variety is as much a necessity to the human heart and brain in buildings as in books; that there is no merit, though there is some occasional use, in monotony; and that we must no more expect to derive either pleasure or profit from an architecture whose ornaments are of one pattern, and whose pillars are of one proportion, than we should of a universe in which the clouds were all of one shape, and the trees all of one shape

I don't think games have reached that point yet, but I am eager to see how that might look. So far, videogames have blurred the line between "toy" and "cinematic experience". Impressive in its own right, but a play isn't "art" merely because it includes music, acting, and scenery.

There is no game that is accepted by non-gamers (i.e. the unappreciative masses) as an experience worth experiencing as an artistic experience. Perhaps someday a game will meet that criteria (or maybe it has already been made and we misunderstood it), but until then we are each clashing our own definitions of art against each other.

Meanwhile, crowds of people uneducated in the ways of sculpture, painting, and music still flock to experience these iconic pieces of art from shared human history.

I realize "art" is a term that can be stretched to fit a variety of things, so I mean it in the same sense that we would call Michaelangelo's David, or Chopin's nocturnes, or Goethe's Faust "art". It is a work that transcends the medium and carries respect in spite of its medium. You don't have to know anything about sculpture to appreciate a statue, but I would argue that you do need to grasp some facets of a videogame before you can engage with it.

Last edited:

wzy

It's telling that the conversation inevitably spirals into "should we tell creators how to be", because that particular irrelevant fantasy (of potence; having a say) is, in a way, always the product of culture and political writing. It's what is being "sold" to the reader. You get to feel like you matter. The more grandiose and self-righteous the argument--the more it deals with a "crisis"--the more people clicking and trotting back to the message board armed with links and quotes. Whichever side wins, the only guaranteed outcome is nothing.

You could just learn to how to play the damn game if you wanted to feel powerful...

nkarafo

if he was an art critic he would dismiss Rothko and all of abstract expressionism as a "waste of the customer's time"
I apologize in advance if this comes off harsh but from a quick image search of Rothko i think he does look like a waste of customer's time.

Last edited:
A prerequisite for "art" is that it transcends its own medium. A wrought-iron gate can still have artistry just like an archway can have artistry, but John Ruskin wouldn't classify a Gothic cathedral as "art" merely because it has nice gates and nice archways.

but until then we are each clashing our own definitions of art against each other.

Meanwhile, crowds of people uneducated in the ways of sculpture, painting, and music still flock to experience these iconic pieces of art from shared human history.

I realize "art" is a term that can be stretched to fit a variety of things, so I mean it in the same sense that we would call Michaelangelo's David, or Chopin's nocturnes, or Goethe's Faust "art". It is a work that transcends the medium and carries respect in spite of its medium. You don't have to know anything about sculpture to appreciate a statue, but I would argue that you do need to grasp some facets of a videogame before you can engage with it.

Games are a canvas that is very new in human history, and is rooted in the notion of "toys for kids" (to a vast segment of the population) as you referenced. The pieces of art you specifically mentioned have had time to marinate within historical appreciation. That is not possible for video games at this juncture. Were all pieces or forms of collectively agreed upon "real" art today seen as such upon their arrival? Most certainly not. (See Van Gogh, Johannes Vermeer , or many many others) Widespread recognition of something as art is not a prerequisite to being art. Crowd agreement is not what makes art art. If so, sometimes things are art, and sometimes those very same things are not.

Edit: Btw, I think Chopin's Nocturne op. 9 no. 2 will always be my favorite classical piece.

Last edited:

bilderberg

Jim always cherry picks his arguments from some of the worst comments he can find. The side of the discussion arguing not every game needs an easy mode, i'm sure, isn't spending much time harassing people or really giving a shit whether said person mods a hard game to make it easy in their own time. But here's cherry picked examples of some troll telling someone to kill themselves or quit gaming to show how awful this side of the argument is. It's possible to, simultaneously, believe not every game needs an easy mode, not go after non-important people who want to mod an easy mode in, and fairly criticize a game's critic for bypassing the intent of the game by using cheats.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Games are a canvas that is very new in human history, and is rooted in the notion of "toys for kids" (to a vast segment of the population) as you referenced. The pieces of art you specifically mentioned have had time to marinate within historical appreciation. That is not possible for video games at this juncture. Were all pieces or forms of collectively agreed upon "real" art today seen as such upon their arrival? Most certainly not. (See Van Gogh, Johannes Vermeer , or many many others)

Widespread recognition of something as art is not a prerequisite to being art. Crowd agreement is not what makes art art. If so, sometimes things are art, and sometimes those very same things are not.
Crowd agreement is definitely not what makes "art", but this is where we reach the limits of a speculative standpoint. If a single person crafts a statue in the middle of the woods and dies for no one to see it, is it art?

Sure. For the sake of argument, I don't mind calling that "art".

However, in an environment where countless watching eyes are evaluating countless pieces of potential art, the "art" that floats to the surface is generally a good indicator of that culture's view of art. That's all I'm getting at. Videogames haven't passed that threshold (yet), and I doubt it will cross that threshold by creating ever-easier "experiences" that pander to a player's ego instead of reflecting the player's humanity.

source.gif

This clip of a kid getting angry at their MMO is more "art" than the MMO itself. It's more "art" than most videogames, not because it has better assets, better music, better animations, etc than videogames, but because it captures human nature better than most games.

Last edited:
If a single person crafts a statue in the middle of the woods and dies for no one to see it, is it art?

Sure. For the sake of argument, I don't mind calling that "art".

However, in an environment where countless watching eyes are evaluating countless pieces of potential art, the "art" that floats to the surface is generally a good indicator of that culture's view of art. That's all I'm getting at.

I understand your view and the point that you are making. I suppose where we differ is that I don't care what culture tells me is art. I don't care what "experts" tell me is art. I don't care what anyone thinks is art. I know what art is because art is something that speaks to me.

The collective view matters to the collective.

What is the real root of art? A human(s) was moved by something and wanted to capture or express how they were moved and share it with others, or maybe just get it out of their system because they felt an urge to let it out. Art is, at its essence, an attempt to express something in a method that is inherently abstract. (I'm not talking about "abstract art" as a kind of art here.) Art is not the real thing, it's an approximation, like language. Art is creative abstraction - nothing more. Some examples and forms of creative abstraction will be appreciated by some more than others, by many or few, but within the soul of art we find there is merely a being trying to express something in abstract terms.

We are significantly off-topic, but I really love this discussion.

zenspider

But we've covered the main topic of this thread - seemingly endlessly - in this and other topics. But to try to tie it all together for me. In the creation of art (any art - which I consider video games to be), it is not up to those experiencing the art to dictate to the artist what their expression should be. That idea is absurd to me. There would be no unique expression if all art was communal. The artist(s) alone is responsible for conveying their vision, and in this case, the singular difficulty is obviously part of that vision in my opinion. (For reasons I and others have covered.)

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but that is about as concise as I can put my view in relation to art and its expression having relevance to the subject of "easy modes".

It works for me. If I accept your 'games as art' argument - which at times I absolutely do - I'd say that art is not only under any obligation to be accessible, it often benefits from being challenging to the audience.

Would that be something you agree with?

It works for me. If I accept your 'games as art' argument - which at times I absolutely do - I'd say that art is not only under any obligation to be accessible, it often benefits from being challenging to the audience.

Would that be something you agree with?

100% :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I understand your view and the point that you are making. I suppose where we differ is that I don't care what culture tells me is art. I don't care what "experts" tell me is art. I don't care what anyone thinks is art. I know what art is because art is something that speaks to me.
I can respect this viewpoint from a philosophical viewpoint, but we are reaching the limits of words. Why call it "art" if it hinges upon whether or not it speaks to you?

Why not call it a "spiritual experience", or a "✌︎❒︎⧫︎♓︎⬧︎⧫︎♓♍"? Why shackle yourself to the collective concept of uniform language at all?

The collective view matters to the collective.
Free will of the individual doesn't mean freedom from reality, merely freedom to deny reality. We are part of the collective whether we like it or not.

The tug-of-war between the individual and the collective is a central aspect of art itself. Don't shut yourself off from that part of the experience. Irony can only exist when the viewer understands the collective view enough to perceive why the irony is clever.

feel-the-irony-20.jpg

You don't get an "experience that speaks to you" -- no humor, or somber reflection, or awe, or anger, or surprise -- if you don't understand why the experience that speaks to you is distinct from the experience that speaks to the collective. An artistic "experience that speaks to you" could possibly be described as your Self grappling with your humanity, that unerasable part of yourself that is also part of the collective.

Your reaction to art is yours, but the best art often appeals to our basest collective inclinations. So it is a funny thing, art. Wholly individual responses, but wholly collective messages. It is why even non-religious people can feel the artistry of cathedrals and paintings of scriptural events.

What is the real root of art? A human(s) was moved by something and wanted to capture or express how they were moved and share it with others, or maybe just get it out of their system because they felt an urge to let it out. Art is, at its essence, an attempt to express something in a method that is inherently abstract. (I'm not talking about "abstract art" as a kind of art here.) Art is not the real thing, it's an approximation, like language. Art is creative abstraction - nothing more. Some examples and forms of creative abstraction will be appreciated by some more than others, by many or few, but within the soul of art we find there is merely a being trying to express something in abstract terms.

We are significantly off-topic, but I really love this discussion.
Right, art has some sort of abstraction just like a videogame is an abstraction of the activity shown on the screen. However, we cannot forget that participation in the videogame is a necessary part of making the art.

The viewer still needs to view a piece of art in order to have an experience that "speaks to them". In the same way, the videogame player still needs to play the art (perhaps even in a restrictive and unfamiliar way) to have an experience that "speaks to them". Refusing to engage with the art on these terms is a fundamental denial of the human (or humans) who were moved by something and wanted to capture it.

I wouldn't begin a comparison of the Mona Lisa and Girl With a Pearl Earring by examining the total number of colors used, nor the quality of the paint used. These might be facets of art, but they don't determine whether something is or isn't art.

In the same way, I wouldn't use a videogame's art assets as an argument for why it is or isn't art. Even if those art assets or a sequence of art assets is breathtaking (like in Shadow of the Colossus or Abzu, for instance), we have to examine if the product as a whole is a piece of art, judging by the same standard we hold other pieces of art to.

Does it transcend the medium? Can it be comprehended at an emotional, human level? Again, I am not referring emotional Hollywood-esque scenes. I am referring to the panic (and joyful relief) when facing against Psycho Mantis. I am referring to the jump-scare of a creeper blowing up just as you turn around. If art is emotional, then we shouldn't be looking for the portrayals of emotion on the screen. We should examine what evokes emotion in the player.

Edited: edited in some clarity, and a picture of ironic art.

Last edited:
I can respect this viewpoint from a philosophical viewpoint, but we are reaching the limits of words. Why call it "art" if it hinges upon whether or not it speaks to you?

Why not call it a "spiritual experience", or a "✌︎❒︎⧫︎♓︎⬧︎⧫︎♓♍"? Why shackle yourself to the collective concept of uniform language at all?

Free will of the individual doesn't mean freedom from reality, merely freedom to deny reality. We are part of the collective whether we like it or not.

I was born in a culture that uses a language called English. Within that language exists a term rooted in my mental processes for addressing creative expression. That term is "art." I use the familiar to me when referencing things in abstraction - in language.

Can you or anyone define "reality"? I cannot. I only know what I personally experience. To suggest more can be known than that, is to me (not referring to you or anyone else) - arrogance.
In absence of universal agreement or unequivocal knowledge (something that can never exist), the only thing that matters is the personal, the subjective experience. You may value the collective opinion, the universal, but that's only because it has relevance to you and your own filter, to your appreciation and perception of what "matters".

I only know what I know.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I was born in a culture that uses a language called English. Within that language exists a term rooted in my mental processes for addressing creative expression. That term is "art." I use the familiar to me when referencing things in abstraction - in language.

Can you or anyone define "reality"? I cannot. I only know what I personally experience. To suggest more can be known than that, is to me (not referring to you or anyone else) - arrogance.
In absence of universal agreement or unequivocal knowledge (something that can never exist), the only thing that matters is the personal, the subjective experience. You may value the collective opinion, the universal, but that's only because it has relevance to you and your own filter, to your appreciation and perception of what "matters".

I only know what I know.
Like I pointed out, your biology and your own upbringing (and your ongoing usage of that heritage) means you also "value the collective opinion". By using these collective inheritances, you demonstrate that it has relevance to your own filter. You wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Sure, we can go down the metaphysical road as to how strongly our senses and our rationality allow us to grip so-called "reality" or whether reality exists at all, but you're already engaging in the conversation as if you believe in reality. So, there's no point in talking you out of a standpoint you don't believe.

A person can claim "I hate breathing air" as much as they'd like, but after a while someone will get annoyed and ask why they don't take a permanent dip into the nearest body of water. That exchange would be funny, by the way, and is a good example of "art", but until that point the person who is begging the question is just a pedant.

Similarly, we can keep chipping away at the insignificance of our own brief moment of life in the universe (leading to nihilism), or we can look to higher concepts like art which can elevate our experience from "the collective view" to something more... rewarding.

Like I pointed out, your biology and your own upbringing (and your ongoing usage of that heritage) means you also "value the collective opinion". By using these collective inheritances, you demonstrate that it has relevance to your own filter. You wouldn't be doing it otherwise.

Sure, we can go down the metaphysical road as to how strongly our senses and our rationality allow us to grip so-called "reality" or whether reality exists at all, but you're already engaging in the conversation as if you believe in reality. So, there's no point in talking you out of a standpoint you don't believe.

A person can claim "I hate breathing air" as much as they'd like, but after a while someone will get annoyed and ask why they don't take a permanent dip into the nearest body of water. That exchange would be funny, by the way, and is a good example of "art", but until that point the person who is begging the question is just a pedant.

Similarly, we can keep chipping away at the insignificance of our own brief moment of life in the universe (leading to nihilism), or we can look to higher concepts like art which can elevate our experience from "the collective view" to something more... rewarding.

I am attached to the universal, to the collective, but I only know what I experience subjectively - what comes into my field of awareness. My mind / being doesn't know what you experience and vice versa. We are going down a deep philosophical hole.

If we want to dig deep into the underpinnings of "reality", I find no genuine borders dividing anything. Only mental lines, artificial borders, conceptual and arbitrary separation. All is one, all distinction meaningless. See, now I'm vanishing into the ether. :p

Again with the elitism nonsense. I'm not saying no one fits into that category, but you can't lump all into your flimsy box.

You don't get it , man. It's us the elitists, not the ones telling developers how they must make their games.

It's exactly the same as when I ask for VR options in upcoming games the internet fires back with a resounding "FUCK YOU AND FUCK VR" .. like dude, how is a option you will never use affect your fucking life you nob.

This is one of the worst comparisons I have ever seen. To start with, the anti-VR hate is related to poor kids or grownups not being able to afford VR.

Jim pretty much hits the nail on the head here: you're not entitled to an easy mode or to keeping games difficult, but it makes good business sense to cater to a wider demographic when you can.

Only that, this is BS argument with no evidence to support it whatsoever. Precisely, it's quite the opposite, as From trajectory has proved. From Software would not be in the position they are today if not for their difficult games. Demons Souls came to the West ONLY because of that. There would be no Dark Souls without Demons Souls. And on and on.

So no, judging the current position of From Software without taking into account WHY they got to that position is absolutely incorrect.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I am attached to the universal, to the collective, but I only know what I experience subjectively - what comes into my field of awareness. My mind / being doesn't know what you experience and vice versa. We are going down a deep philosophical hole.

If we want to dig deep into the underpinnings of "reality", I find no genuine borders dividing anything. Only mental lines, artificial borders, conceptual and arbitrary separation. All is one, all distinction meaningless. See, now I'm vanishing into the ether. :p
I would recommend reading the impact of Madhvacharya and his arguments against "all is one" philosophy several hundred years ago. Though I am not Hindu, I find his arguments to be landmark.

tl;dr is that reality (including the transcendent, spiritual parts of reality) is made up of distinct parts. The essence of the Self* is not one undifferentiated link in the unbroken chain of Oneness. The Self is an individual that merely shares similar characteristics to the other Selfs, but is still a distinct Self.

*He used "soul" here, but I will use the secular psych term instead.

I would recommend reading the impact of Madhvacharya and his arguments against "all is one" philosophy several hundred years ago. Though I am not Hindu, I find his arguments to be landmark.

tl;dr is that reality (including the transcendent, spiritual parts of reality) is made up of distinct parts. The essence of the Self* is not one undifferentiated link in the unbroken chain of Oneness. The Self is an individual that merely shares similar characteristics to the other Selfs, but is still a distinct Self.

*He used "soul" here, but I will use the secular psych term instead.

I haven't read that but I will. As a counter I would suggest I Am That by sri nisargadatta maharaj.

Never read it. Thanks for the suggestion.

If my copy wasn't worn to shreds, I'd give it to you. To me the most interesting subject, and the passion of my entire life, is epistemological in nature. I know we're way off-topic, but nothing else has any real value to the being thought of as "me".

But I love all philosophical exploration, and I'll read what you suggested.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If my copy wasn't worn to shreds, I'd give it to you. To me the most interesting subject, and the passion of my entire life, is epistemological in nature. I know we're way off-topic, but nothing else has any real value to the being thought of as "me".

But I love all philosophical exploration, and I'll read what you suggested.
Of course! I'm also fascinated by it which is why I wanted to share my thoughts and discuss with you. If you are interested in the Self, I'd also recommend C.G. Jung who tried to answer that question in a fairly secular manner.

Red Book is a good place to start if you want to best understand where he's coming from. He flippantly dances between scientific assertions and metaphysical conjectures, though if you read carefully he usually indicates which one he is doing. If that sounds like too much, then just jump into any of his collected volumes.

Reading through Jung gave me a greater appreciation for the fact that the Self ("me") isn't even wholly "me", but is built upon a seething mass of characters and personalities that are distinctly not "me" but are yet still a part of "me".

I'm not mentioning Jung because I hope he'll change your mind. I just think he's darn good reading if you have an interest in this stuff.

If you have other suggestions please let me know as I am always on the lookout for good-quality material on this topic.

Of course! I'm also fascinated by it which is why I wanted to share my thoughts and discuss with you. If you are interested in the Self, I'd also recommend C.G. Jung who tried to answer that question in a fairly secular manner.

Red Book is a good place to start if you want to best understand where he's coming from. He flippantly dances between scientific assertions and metaphysical conjectures, though if you read carefully he usually indicates which one he is doing. If that sounds like too much, then just jump into any of his collected volumes.

Reading through Jung gave me a greater appreciation for the fact that the Self ("me") isn't even wholly "me", but is built upon a seething mass of characters and personalities that are distinctly not "me" but are yet still a part of "me".

I'm not mentioning Jung because I hope he'll change your mind. I just think he's darn good reading if you have an interest in this stuff.

If you have other suggestions please let me know as I am always on the lookout for good-quality material on this topic.

Jung is one of my favorites. I love Man and His Symbols. I've used the I Ching for decades. (Jung was fascinated with it and , ahem, synchronicity synchronicity , of course. :p)

I think you and I are both philosophers at heart.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Jung is one of my favorites. I love Man and His Symbols. I've used the I Ching for decades. (Jung was fascinated with it and , ahem, synchronicity synchronicity , of course. :p)

I think you and I are both philosophers at heart.
slaps forehead

I should've realized from the name. That's one of my favorite books by Jung (though I think Koestler's follow up is even better).

Well as an aside, if you ever get the itch to start a "Jung book discussion club" or even if you pick up one of his books and wish to have a conversation partner, keep me in mind.

Conan-san

I think I agree with Jim's point by and large (though I believe the author of the 'Look at me I won at the game by Kirking it' is a tit who is under the false assumption that his farts smell of glade plugins) but sometimes his tone just makes me want to put my first through his "muscled" 🙄 face cover of God Hand style.

Last edited:
Name me one other peice of art that requires that you watch the same small section of it for three hours before it lets you see the rest? This game might as well have a paywall.
You may consider games as art or whatever you want but that's YOUR opinion, man.

Once you think that consideration restricts what games can and can't be (even worse, you deny people who consider games competition, challenge against oneself/the community, gameplay experiences, or escapism... so you're intolerant to other considerations) in the name of "art", so games that lack walking simulator difficulties have no right to exist, theeeen... NO.

And frankly, with the push to conflate walking simulator modes with "accessibility options" meant for the genuinely disabled (who seem to enjoy Sekiro and Dark Souls but are denied a voice in this game journalism debate) then we just know what's the next item in Sony's censorship guidelines. It would fit a lot their shift to "cinematic" experiences, and denying Japan Studios chances to continue Wild Arms and Popolocrois on traditional consoles.

This is not entirely the focus of what we'd been talking about, but Synchronicity : The Bridge Between Matter and Mind by Peat is one of my favorites on the subject of synchronicity. I don't know if you're interested in exploring that subject with any depth. I'll shut up for now and not derail any longer.

PhoenixTank

This argument only works as a hypothetical, which is why its so stupid and grating to constantly have to deal with (also because it's very obviously a bit of programmatic received wisdom courtesy of our beloved gaming press). Yes, just in case game difficulty is actually a line of code in the engine that gets commented out in "hard" games so babies can play them too, there's no consequence to having an easy mode.

In the real world, where games are made with finite resources and designed towards a specific experience, the inclusion of easy mode inherently and obviously will touch every other aspect of the game--largely to the detriment of the core experience. You have to design a game from the ground up to support a scaling difficulty. You can't just go in after the fact and start tweaking numbers, as virtually any modern "hard mode" will show you. The game stops working in very fundamental ways that require the attention of everyone on the team. You need design, production, testing, and planning involved in the whole process or you're going to ship garbage.
I'm perhaps more familiar with the complexities of development than you give me credit for. I have been on the receiving end of those lacking technical understanding many times and I fear many times more, and no, I'm not a game dev guru. Please don't argue with a caricature of me and imprint influences on that caricature that are more to do with your attitude than mine. If not for your final comments I'd perhaps not taken it this way.
If you only ever argue on the strictest of realities of what is and not what could be, nothing will change and for those that are happy with the status quo that is, of course, perfect. Unfortunately I believe this industry needs some change, and before we make a logic jump here, forcing a difficulty mode into games is not that change.

Time to say this again but simple HP/damage scaling isn't a viable solution in these types of games. It is barely a solution in other types of games. I hope on that we can agree? Clinging to this sole "solution" lacks imagination, however. My post also did allow, albeit very briefly, for the mode to be an integrated part of development rather than a hamfisted attempt to tack on to the end. As you note it'd have a better chance of good results.
As far as finite resources go, opening up to a wider sphere of customers could provide greater revenue after the fact to cover it and more. Of course, like much of game dev this is a gamble and as such it could fail entirely or just barely break even. Madly throwing more money and more people at the problem can (and often does) backfire too. This is why it is important that the change comes from within if at all. I think It'd need some involvement from the core team with a full understanding of the mechanics alongside more hands to help on that part but could be more possible than you set out.
Look at the Demon Bell in Sekiro. It's an optional "extra hard" mode with a few extra gameplay tweaks, and having it activated completely fucks the whole experience in a bunch of minor and major ways, because all it really does is dramatically boost the health and damage of enemies with a few bonus perks thrown in as a reward. Enemies that are supposed to die in lightly scripted ways survive instead, attacks that are supposed to be survivable in some cases (i.e., with consumables) become instant kills in every scenario. Mini-bosses meant to be minor speedbumps become obnoxious chores. Tactics that added to the depth of the game become ineffective; others become mandatory. Everything not touched by the Demon Bell gets worse; other quantitative elements like health and damage upgrades become weirdly overpowered and necessary, emblems become twice as valuable but also twice as likely to be completely depleted against more difficult enemies, encouraging grinding. A third of the boss encounters are ten times harder than they originally were, a third are totally unchanged, and a third scale about how you'd expect them too, but they all become fundamentally less fun and less interesting.

Sekiro
is simply not designed in a way that supports this kind of arbitrary scaling. And with the Demon Bell, this is mostly fine--you have to go out of your way to find it, and there's a basic skill test required of any player who wants to activate it. It serves a useful function in allowing a player to quickly farm desired items or to compensate for being overpowered in NG+ runs. And thankfully Demon Bell is really not figured into the critical consensus that will emerge around the game (I'll stake any amount of money in saying not one single reviewer chose to activate it in the course of their play through). The system here doesn't "work", but if fails in a mostly harmless way.
Appreciate the explanation on the bell.
Easy mode will have all the same drawbacks but not a single one of these safeguards. Rather, because this is what always happens in games with scalable difficulties and people who actually play games have years of experience and intuition telling them this is so, easy mode becomes normal and normal becomes Demon Bell. The game is either designed around easy mode, which fucks hard mode players, or it spends not-insignificant time and resources ensuring the easy mode is worth playing even to the people who prefer easy games--which also fucks hard mode players, because they should have been the ones getting that extra attention.
Again, relying on HP/damage scaling is a poor choice and far too common. Apparently your years and intuition have jaded you into limiting any possible expectations of difficulty modes that are better than this. The industry has progressed over time in other arenas, why not here? Why is the flawed Demon Bell implementation the only way this can play out in a full fat easy mode? Except that, unless I misread, you can see it happening with time and effort involved. Then the reasoning you post devolves into something that I'm struggling to describe without falling into the pit of overused words. Expecting any and all extra effort to be aimed at the existing fanbase... don't you see that as at least a little selfish? It sure isn't closer to altruistic.

Let's bullshit around with some fake figures to illustrate this a bit.
In scenario A: Make our Sekiro exactly as it really is, singular difficulty mode and all, the budget is $50M.
In scenario B: To make the same experience as A but also offer a difficulty mode that can make the experience a bit tamer in places, and do it right, pushes it up to say $55M. Providing that projections in sales increase by $5M or more to balance it out... where is the real loss to the player that was happy enough with the normal experience that they still have? That people let their enjoyment degrade due to others' experiences is not a healthy mindset. To boot in our fictional scenario B, the devs have spent more on human talent on hopefully kept more like-minded people employed, or the same for longer, and the fanbase has grown. Maybe next time they're better at it and don't need a full $5M to achieve it, but sales from the wider market are still just as good. We don't know.

As has been pointed out it could be the case that scenario B has an opposite and negative impact on sales. I agree that absolutely would not be a win for anyone but we can't really know until it is done right and actually in the market. I do think that a studio could be deterred from risking an attempt for fear of players refusing to buy it solely because that mode exists... but at that point the market is just spiting itself.

I choose to hope that it could be done well while I think some are fearful that it'll go horribly wrong. I don't know how to bridge that gap.
There is a delicious irony there if being too hard to develop the right way, most of the time, means it shouldn't be attempted.

Maybe there are solutions that will work here, but you haven't thought of them. Because you haven't thought about this at all--because you let someone else do it for you.
Really? I had opinions on this before Jim's video appeared. I'd seen the previous thread(s). I've seen Souls grow as a phenomenon for years but largely experienced second hand. I really dig the Berserk influence, especially given the lack of an adequate game adaptation in that series. Again, I don't demand participation or expect catering to me.
I've thought about and posted the idea of using the core mechanics of the game to provide a better means to tweak difficulty than what others are used to. Not posted at length, but providing looser windows to block/counter and take advantage of openings could move the needle just enough to allow those struggling more than average to progress without compromising the gameplay. Slightly slowing the speed of the peak of some attacks too perhaps. I'm sure that isn't perfect but it at least doesn't strike me as worse than what we usually have to deal with.

Perhaps combining a tl;dw with some of my thoughts blurred the line too much?
Even still... that you'd put in the effort explaining some of the finer points in detail but end with something as backslaptastic and condescending as this is just so strange to me.

wzy

I'm perhaps more familiar with the complexities of development than you give me credit for. I have been on the receiving end of those lacking technical understanding many times and I fear many times more, and no, I'm not a game dev guru. Please don't argue with a caricature of me and imprint influences on that caricature that are more to do with your attitude than mine. If not for your final comments I'd perhaps not taken it this way.
If you only ever argue on the strictest of realities of what is and not what could be, nothing will change and for those that are happy with the status quo that is, of course, perfect. Unfortunately I believe this industry needs some change, and before we make a logic jump here, forcing a difficulty mode into games is not that change.

Okay so why are you agitating for a regression? FROM is already the change to the status quo, which if you're just joining us is "the burgeoning art of game design raped and mutilated on the Eldritch altar of mass appeal". See: virtually any beloved franchise with entries before and after the Bush years. And I say "see" and not "play" because in the case of the heavy hitters of this generation, you'll pretty much be watching a movie.

Look, I know what type of answer you and Jim are looking for, which is: what's the cost in cultural currency of Easy mode and easymoders, assuming everything else is factored out? Because if the answer is nothing then we return to the natural equilibrium where only YouTubers have a right to bitch. We can have that argument but I think you ought to earn it first by suggesting a minimally plausible revision to the gameplay. What even is the point otherwise? This bit of sophistry about costing nothing to the core group is just a way of tee-ing up the usual horseshit about "look at these entitled, snobby, gatekeeping gamerbros trying to keep everyone out of the party". It's a highly autistic point that fails to grasp almost everything worth grasping about the inclusiveness debate, which I'd go as far as to say is deliberate in the case of Sterling. His argument sucks and deserves to be long-form eviscerated, but I don't see any reason to give you a hall pass based on the "if" of your thought experiment without some basic sanity checks on possible solutions.

Time to say this again but simple HP/damage scaling isn't a viable solution in these types of games. It is barely a solution in other types of games. I hope on that we can agree? Clinging to this sole "solution" lacks imagination, however. My post also did allow, albeit very briefly, for the mode to be an integrated part of development rather than a hamfisted attempt to tack on to the end. As you note it'd have a better chance of good results.
As far as finite resources go, opening up to a wider sphere of customers could provide greater revenue after the fact to cover it and more. Of course, like much of game dev this is a gamble and as such it could fail entirely or just barely break even. Madly throwing more money and more people at the problem can (and often does) backfire too. This is why it is important that the change comes from within if at all. I think It'd need some involvement from the core team with a full understanding of the mechanics alongside more hands to help on that part but could be more possible than you set out.

Your best-case hypothetical perfectly describes the nightmare hell of current Souls players, which ought to be reason enough to drop it. The way everyone loses here is that easy mode is adopted, shipped, and actually works the way you want it to, because you can't name a single franchise that got huge and stayed good. No one can. It's not a mystery, it's just that the relationship is logical and bulletproof: if the five million you spend buys you 20 million in revenue, you spend more not less. Because duh. Because you would have to be an insane, irresponsible, profit hating, company destroying, mathematically inept, utter fool to do anything else. The free market Illuminati would hire an actual Iga-clan ninja to rip out your spine before you can turn back that clock. You're playing a different game now, i.e., the one Bethesda and Ubisoft are playing, which means you can only get bigger. Easy mode doesn't pre-empt the microtransactions and whatever else, it guarantees them. The success of Souls generally illustrates this nicely: every new title is the last one, right? Haha, okay Hideo Kojima. If you say so. Hollywood reboots are the logical endpoint of mono-culture, not revolutionary industry-altering change. For that, you need niches. The only thing guaranteed by the success of easy mode is more dedication and time, by proportion, to easy mode.

Honestly, it requires an exceptionally powerful argument or exceptionally bad faith to say that a niche is best served by courting the masses. The charitable interpretation is that this is the opinion of a tricked person, which means you can't use it for Jim. He sells ads for a living, which means he sells credibility. He knows perfectly well that knowledge has to be valuable to be worth accumulating, which means it has to be scarce, which means it has to be local. The day you can Google your way through a Souls game is the day people stop bothering.

Yes, this means that lording it over others is a feature, not a bug. Look at the big picture: easymoders reap the ultimate benefits of hardmoders' dedication. FROM has--not consciously, not intentionally, they're not gods--made videogames as a whole better for everyone, even people who can't (won't) play their games. Other developers can learn from FROM games, even steal from them. But look at their imitators: they sure can't make them. This is what FROM is buying for you and everyone else by not being Capcom. They get to be prestige developers who stay small and collect on reputation, you get to benefit from everything they learned by not listening to your ideas.

Really? I had opinions on this before Jim's video appeared. I'd seen the previous thread(s). I've seen Souls grow as a phenomenon for years but largely experienced second hand. I really dig the Berserk influence, especially given the lack of an adequate game adaptation in that series. Again, I don't demand participation or expect catering to me.
I've thought about and posted the idea of using the core mechanics of the game to provide a better means to tweak difficulty than what others are used to. Not posted at length, but providing looser windows to block/counter and take advantage of openings could move the needle just enough to allow those struggling more than average to progress without compromising the gameplay. Slightly slowing the speed of the peak of some attacks too perhaps. I'm sure that isn't perfect but it at least doesn't strike me as worse than what we usually have to deal with.

Trick question time. Why do you actually want this? I understand completely why the Forbes guy wants it. His paycheck is social currency and "influencer" pillow talk; of course he wants to blow up a rival credmine like Dark Souls. And not to... whatever... but I understand why women and fat guys who may as well be are always leading this charge, too. If opsec=difficulty=authenticity=value is too strict, you send the agents home and nuke the trolls from orbit. Can't exclude anyone, now, can they? It's basic colonialism. Proof? Even if you added a non-broken easy mode that somehow avoids all the other problems, it would be a ghetto for hated posers. They'd be run off the message boards. Unless of course it actually worked, in which case hard mode becomes the ghetto and the whole project collapses. The best designer in the world can't make Dark Souls both approachable and valuable. You'll end up with branded hipster-ism and Nintendo chic, a line the series is already perilously close to crossing.

Whether or not you personally acknowledge the value of Dark Souls' social currency--many don't, fine--the key point here is that someone like Jim or whoever is always trading up. You snitch on videogame culture because it buys you access to society culture. That's how he knows to drop in the usual keywords: toxic, entitled, gatekeeper, current year, etc. "I just don't understand these people" = "I understand them perfectly, hire me to crush them." It's just a way of next-levelling the snobs. Do you see the irony, here? Hardmoders are the mono-cultural out-group. There's no inclusion being discussed in this argument. The question is about how intensely can one group be excluded, i.e., how to take more from them, which is an argument for players and haters only. Jim Sterling is unquestionably the latter, hence all the disguises. The man is a NARC and you can bet that whatever he thinks about Souls or anything else he doesn't control is exactly wrong, because his whole brand is sucking up to people who claim with increasing desperation that videogames are an irrelevant retrograde cultural backwater that desperately require the intervention of enlightened media commentary. His worst case nightmare scenario is that Dark Souls doesn't need anything from him at all.

EDMIX

Except IF the point of the game is that it is challenging then you are offering the choice to remove the whole point of the endeavor.

It's disingenuous to say "we won't be removing anything, just adding options" when you know damn well that part of the prestige and shine of From Software games in the fact that you cannot easily shy away from the challenges the game lays down.

This conversation goes round and round and we still have people acting like "but if they added an easy mode it wouldn't change anything".
Of course it fucking would and that has been explained over and over.

That there is no "easy mode" is part of the appeal. Get it?

If you can convince me that a MAJOR selling point of From Software games isn't the challenge and the difficulty and the awarding nature of overcoming those then I can concede maybe they should add easy mode.

This is how they chose to market Dark Souls: Remastered:

So, good luck with that.
Maybe you need an easy mode for this too?

"to remove the whole point of the endeavor. " Nope.

Never said anything about removing the normal mode of the game and please stop using that to argue please. It would be like saying Resident Evil's whole point is to survive the game with limited saves, limited health etc.

Its ONE OF THE POINTS, its not the entire concept exclusively to the point where an easy mode REMOVES another mode.

Sounds like a forced narrative to argue if you ask me. This isn't an either or, simply folks making it to be an either or solely to argue.

"It's disingenuous to say "we won't be removing anything, just adding options"" Not really. I'm saying it won't be FACTUALLY removing a mode having another one exist. That isn't a debate, that isn't a subjective concept, that is saying for a fact, 2 MODES CAN EXIST IN A GAME, THAT ANOTHER MODE DOESN'T "remove" ANOTHER MODE.

How you emotionally feel about that is irrelevant, pointless and has little to do with the statement. The majority if not your entire post is simply about your feelings or emotions on this as suppose to anything logical or rational. Someone playing easy on Resident Evil didn't factually remove my playthrough of it on Hardcore.

I was able to play it, enjoy it and move on. Thus....yes, I can still play ONE of the points of Resident Evil and someone else can play it for a different reason and it not actually effect me even remotely.

I don't play games in spite of others, as in playing a game solely because someone else can't. Makes no sense to me and if thats your argument, you are free to have it. So that major selling point is not removed by adding another mode. If any thing, it would make beating it on normal even MORE of a big deal because you had the damn option to play on easy, and played on normal thus showing you indeed are better then others and didn't select the easy way out.

I'm sorry but the argument against an easy mode is that of an emotional and personally one, not a of a logical one. I don't even use easy modes and I have zero issue with someone who plays using it or mods etc. Its just a non-issue.

Last edited:
I think it's wrong to ask developers to neuter a very particular gaming experience they're trying to capture for the sake of accessibility. There should be room in this industry for niche. And I think it's insulting to their craft to turn around and say "well you know that particular gaming experience you're trying to craft for one game? how about you apply that to a bunch of lesser difficulty modes, should be easy right?"

June

Devs have the ultimate right to do what they want.

But more options would enable many more people to enjoy the work at very little effort on the part of the devs, and the original experience still exists just as it did for those who want it.

So for that, I'm all in favour of more options. Someone who plays Sekiro with unlimited health effects me as much someone who plays Sekiro with self-imposed restrictions to make the game more difficult - which is to say, not at all.

PerfectWarrior

Neo Member
I'm not particulary fond of DS games because of their battle system, but I absolutely love Sekiro. So, i "can't" play DS games so, i demand a battle system like Sekiro, because the default one is not accesible to me. I know it's selfish but i would love games without a difficulty setting, and had only just one, but tightly optimized. What's the point on beating an hard optional boss on easy mode? If you don't like how the game was optimised in terms of difficulty, just play another of the thousands that are in the market. The selling point of Sekiro is the satisfaction to beat a demonic son of a ***** and how the combat evolves from a simply "press R1 and die" to a mesmerizing dance of blades. F***, i need another run of Sekiro

Saruhashi

Banned
Okay so why are you agitating for a regression? FROM is already the change to the status quo, which if you're just joining us is "the burgeoning art of game design raped and mutilated on the Eldritch altar of mass appeal". See: virtually any beloved franchise with entries before and after the Bush years. And I say "see" and not "play" because in the case of the heavy hitters of this generation, you'll pretty much be watching a movie.

Look, I know what type of answer you and Jim are looking for, which is: what's the cost in cultural currency of Easy mode and easymoders, assuming everything else is factored out? Because if the answer is nothing then we return to the natural equilibrium where only YouTubers have a right to bitch. We can have that argument but I think you ought to earn it first by suggesting a minimally plausible revision to the gameplay. What even is the point otherwise? This bit of sophistry about costing nothing to the core group is just a way of tee-ing up the usual horseshit about "look at these entitled, snobby, gatekeeping gamerbros trying to keep everyone out of the party". It's a highly autistic point that fails to grasp almost everything worth grasping about the inclusiveness debate, which I'd go as far as to say is deliberate in the case of Sterling. His argument sucks and deserves to be long-form eviscerated, but I don't see any reason to give you a hall pass based on the "if" of your thought experiment without some basic sanity checks on possible solutions.

Your best-case hypothetical perfectly describes the nightmare hell of current Souls players, which ought to be reason enough to drop it. The way everyone loses here is that easy mode is adopted, shipped, and actually works the way you want it to, because you can't name a single franchise that got huge and stayed good. No one can. It's not a mystery, it's just that the relationship is logical and bulletproof: if the five million you spend buys you 20 million in revenue, you spend more not less. Because duh. Because you would have to be an insane, irresponsible, profit hating, company destroying, mathematically inept, utter fool to do anything else. The free market Illuminati would hire an actual Iga-clan ninja to rip out your spine before you can turn back that clock. You're playing a different game now, i.e., the one Bethesda and Ubisoft are playing, which means you can only get bigger. Easy mode doesn't pre-empt the microtransactions and whatever else, it guarantees them. The success of Souls generally illustrates this nicely: every new title is the last one, right? Haha, okay Hideo Kojima. If you say so. Hollywood reboots are the logical endpoint of mono-culture, not revolutionary industry-altering change. For that, you need niches. The only thing guaranteed by the success of easy mode is more dedication and time, by proportion, to easy mode.

Honestly, it requires an exceptionally powerful argument or exceptionally bad faith to say that a niche is best served by courting the masses. The charitable interpretation is that this is the opinion of a tricked person, which means you can't use it for Jim. He sells ads for a living, which means he sells credibility. He knows perfectly well that knowledge has to be valuable to be worth accumulating, which means it has to be scarce, which means it has to be local. The day you can Google your way through a Souls game is the day people stop bothering.

Yes, this means that lording it over others is a feature, not a bug. Look at the big picture: easymoders reap the ultimate benefits of hardmoders' dedication. FROM has--not consciously, not intentionally, they're not gods--made videogames as a whole better for everyone, even people who can't (won't) play their games. Other developers can learn from FROM games, even steal from them. But look at their imitators: they sure can't make them. This is what FROM is buying for you and everyone else by not being Capcom. They get to be prestige developers who stay small and collect on reputation, you get to benefit from everything they learned by not listening to your ideas.

Trick question time. Why do you actually want this? I understand completely why the Forbes guy wants it. His paycheck is social currency and "influencer" pillow talk; of course he wants to blow up a rival credmine like Dark Souls. And not to... whatever... but I understand why women and fat guys who may as well be are always leading this charge, too. If opsec=difficulty=authenticity=value is too strict, you send the agents home and nuke the trolls from orbit. Can't exclude anyone, now, can they? It's basic colonialism. Proof? Even if you added a non-broken easy mode that somehow avoids all the other problems, it would be a ghetto for hated posers. They'd be run off the message boards. Unless of course it actually worked, in which case hard mode becomes the ghetto and the whole project collapses. The best designer in the world can't make Dark Souls both approachable and valuable. You'll end up with branded hipster-ism and Nintendo chic, a line the series is already perilously close to crossing.

Whether or not you personally acknowledge the value of Dark Souls' social currency--many don't, fine--the key point here is that someone like Jim or whoever is always trading up. You snitch on videogame culture because it buys you access to society culture. That's how he knows to drop in the usual keywords: toxic, entitled, gatekeeper, current year, etc. "I just don't understand these people" = "I understand them perfectly, hire me to crush them." It's just a way of next-levelling the snobs. Do you see the irony, here? Hardmoders are the mono-cultural out-group. There's no inclusion being discussed in this argument. The question is about how intensely can one group be excluded, i.e., how to take more from them, which is an argument for players and haters only. Jim Sterling is unquestionably the latter, hence all the disguises. The man is a NARC and you can bet that whatever he thinks about Souls or anything else he doesn't control is exactly wrong, because his whole brand is sucking up to people who claim with increasing desperation that videogames are an irrelevant retrograde cultural backwater that desperately require the intervention of enlightened media commentary. His worst case nightmare scenario is that Dark Souls doesn't need anything from him at all.

Absolutely brilliant. Take a bow.

You nailed it.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I already beat this game 4 times and platinum it and this conversation still going on? Like it or not but the reality is not all things made for everyone and I’m sure FromSoftware could make more money if the added easier difficulty but that’s not the game they want to make, end of story. I’m sure developers behind DQXI could mad it more papular for west if it had more realistic graphics with action combat but again that’s not type of game they want to make and in my opinion games are at their best when it’s made with passion instead just thinking about making more money.

Last edited:
Top Bottom