• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jimquisition - Winners & Losers E3 2017

BG&E2 a winner?
The same game which people waited almost 15 years for to be continued after a story cliffhanger and a painful teaser in 2008 which led to nothing, finally to be announced, only to be turned out just minutes after the announcement to be a prequel and a multiplayer shared universe thing that nobody, ever, asked for? How can that be a winner? This was one of the biggest, if not that biggest disappointment of the whole E3.

Really Jim? I expected more from you.

Sure the announcement first was amazing, but in the middle of the speech and directly after the press conference when it was more and more clear what this is exactly, I can't remember any bigger live turn around disappointment in the last 4 years of E3 that were bigger.
The Xbox One Announcement where they tried to scam us live in the middle of the press conference, right in our faces, that was bigger, but now comes this. Right now, I would even expect Microtransactions shit to be in it. Who wants to bet?
Oh, the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter announcement would come close, but is right behind BG&E2.
Do calm down. The game is barely even a game yet.

Wait the anthem stuff was script mic chat? I thought it was in game.
Only the guy giving the quest at the start was part of the game.

BG&E2 a winner?
The same game which people waited almost 15 years for to be continued after a story cliffhanger and a painful teaser in 2008 which led to nothing, finally to be announced, only to be turned out just minutes after the announcement to be a prequel and a multiplayer shared universe thing that nobody, ever, asked for? This game? How can that be a winner? This was one of the biggest, if not that biggest disappointment of the whole E3.

Really Jim? I expected more from you.
Yes it's a winner.
First it's a prequel so they can establish the universe. They even hinted at peyj in the trailer. This means that you'll get answers even if it doesn't directly continue the story.
Second the idea that exploring multiple planet in the BGE universe is great. If that doesn't excite you , then what does ?
Third , it's online the same way watchdogs 2 was online. Meaning that you can play the game offline or with friends

Fourth , nobody asked for this ? That's because we asked for more BGE first. And that's what we will get.

If that's disapointing , then you already had a mess of expectations in your head already.
It's a winner because it exists. It's a winner because we get more BGE.
It's a winner because the guy making it knows how to make great games.
it's a winner because the franchise creator is involved and waited for the tech to be made to make the game he wanted to make.
It's a winner because we already know that the character design is on-point AND the scope of the game is huge.
it's a winner because they even are open to feedback from the fans.

I can continue for days.. there is no question that the annoncement of BGE2 is a good thing

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Haven't seen the video but is this an inside joke or has Jared done something bad? I just know that he's one of those obnoxious youtubers that is mainly watched by kids and teens who like people making funny faces at the camera.
Clearly you have not seen projared

Good stuff. The pre-order applause moment, the mic chat, and Mario Odyssey segments were spot on.

No mention of Dragonball Fighter Z though as a winner or anything though, sad face.

Yes it's a winner.
First it's a prequel so they can establish the universe. They even hinted at peyj in the trailer. This means that you'll get answers even if it doesn't directly continue the story.
Second the idea that exploring multiple planet in the BGE universe is great. If that doesn't excite you , then what does ?
Third , it's online the same way watchdogs 2 was online. Meaning that you can play the game offline or with friends

Fourth , nobody asked for this ? That's because we asked for more BGE first. And that's what we will get.

If that's disapointing , then you already had a mess of expectations in your head already.
it's a winner because the franchise creator is involved and waited for the tech to be made to make the game he wanted to make.
It's a winner because we already know that the character design is on-point AND the scope of the game is huge.

I can continue for days.. there is no question that the annoncement of BGE2 is a good thing

Mhhhh, good explanation.

It's just, when many people, including me heard "multiplayer" "shared world" it triggers red alert because you know how games like this can turn out. It already feels like every second game is doing the same formula at the moment. Open world, multiplayer, loot, loot boxes, shared world and games as a service and this sounds like exactly the same and I'm already sick of it.
I can totally understand you but for me this is the point where I already say, ok you could have let it die, cause with that stupid, lame, unoriginal, already overpresented """idea""", I'm out.

Dr_Ifto

Hit a lot of nails on the head. This year was kind of lack luster in the presentation front, but the games truly shined. I think every console had the same amount of winning games shown.

I wanted to burn that Anthem chat out of my mind. It was so cringy. Stuff like that does the opposite of hype for me.
Why? I prefer that they made clear it was just two players voice chatting than trying to pass as part of the game. Sure, they don't talk like real humans but you kinda know how you would talk to your friends yet.

I think they also did a good job into using the chatter to hint/outline some of the features. Like when they say they could have gone another way and exploring. For me it presents better than a narrator telling me I could go any other way.

Wait the anthem stuff was script mic chat? I thought it was in game.
If there was any problem with the simulated mic chatter it was this. I guess the transition between the main female in-game voice to the female player voice (once she approaches her suit to get in) threw some people off.

But the chatter itself wasn't at all strange to me. Jim's joke on what public chat tends to be is right on, but when playing with friends and focusing on the game, that's not at all far off the mark. You should hear us playing Wildlands with no HUD ;p

If there was any problem with the simulated mic chatter it was this. I guess the transition between the main female in-game voice to the female player voice (once she approaches her suit to get in) threw some people off.

But the chatter itself wasn't at all strange to me. Jim's joke on what public chat tends to be is right on, but when playing with friends and focusing on the game, that's not at all far off the mark. You should hear us playing Wildlands with no HUD ;p

I thought the entire segment was simulated female player voice chat and not in-game character voice.

ryseing

I actually quite like the Men in Blazers. I have no fucking idea why EA thought their shtick would translate to an audience that knows nothing about soccer minus the forced FIFA segments that they're forced to sit through every year.

Budi

I don't understand why people are so against the mic chatter, I do it myself all the time when playing online with friends. If we are playing competitive, the chatter stays focused in the game and is mostly call outs of enemies, strategies, asking for help etc. If it's something not that intense, we chat whatever we would while getting a coffee together. And in Wildlands even AI companions are having similar discussions when playing solo, it adds a bit character. Though I wouldn't say that phrases like "shitballs" make the characters exactly likeable or fun.

Hesh

I actually quite like the Men in Blazers. I have no fucking idea why EA thought their shtick would translate to an audience that knows nothing about soccer minus the forced FIFA segments that they're forced to sit through every year.

Same. MiB are great but EA unfortunately sent them out there for the wrong audience.

jennetics

Haven't seen the video but is this an inside joke or has Jared done something bad? I just know that he's one of those obnoxious youtubers that is mainly watched by kids and teens who like people making funny faces at the camera.

I don't think he's done anything, and I actually don't have a problem with his videos. Some of his nostalgia reviews are really good, though his humor is kind of hit-or-miss (mostly miss for me). The guy seems nice overall.

The only thing I HATE about his videos, he always leaves the camera on his face for like a second too long in between video cuts. It drives me crazy lol Like, he'll tell a joke and kind of sit there staring at the camera before it cuts back to gameplay.

wildfire

Banned
Poor guy doesn't know the shit that's going down with Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Neither do you apparently.

Ancel doesn't produce garbage. This will be his biggest project in his career.

Then again I'm a guy who loves world building with storylines that span generations like Battletech, Pern and LOTR.

Yes it's a winner.

Man, climbing towers and crafting is going to be so great!

Kouriozan

That was amazing, I also hate those fake chatter, it sounds so horrible and nobody ever talk like that in games.
Really kills the mood.

Why? I prefer that they made clear it was just two players voice chatting than trying to pass as part of the game. Sure, they don't talk like real humans but you kinda know how you would talk to your friends yet.

I think they also did a good job into using the chatter to hint/outline some of the features. Like when they say they could have gone another way and exploring. For me it presents better than a narrator telling me I could go any other way.

Thing is for me and my friends that were watching, it was very distracting. It basically gave me flashbacks to the Division one like this. It's fine that it did all that for you, but it stuck out and detracted from the game. Which doesn't help especially with a game that didn't look interesting to me. Though it was only a reveal, so I'll wait before judgement. Personally, I'd rather have someone speak over than have some fake conversation. Again, to each his own.

xylo

Neo Member
So, you say those "fans" gathered there by sheer coincidence? Come on now, there is no such thing as free t-shirts.
Yes Phil actually talked about this in an interview this year. They frequently invite fans to the front like this.

He even spoke about this last year when the same thing happened (remember when 360 BC was announced, the fans they invited to the front could read the prompter screen the presenter was using -- so they could see the announcement before it was read and started cheering early because they were able to read ahead.)

If you know someone at MS is astroturfing, show the evidence and watch them get in pretty big trouble (as it's against MS company employee policy.)

border

Is it just me, but I've not heard of that plank of wood aka "youtube influencer" before. Is can't just be me?

He doesn't actually even create gaming-related Youtube content......so chances are that nobody recognized him. He has 10 million subscribers, but it's like fashion stuff and prank videos.

Harlequin

He doesn't actually even create gaming-related Youtube content......so chances are that nobody recognized him. He has 10 million subscribers, but it's like fashion stuff and prank videos.

Which kind of makes sense. I mean, most people who're subscribed to gaming channels probably watch the E3 conferences anyway (or at least watch the trailers and demos the next day). By getting non-gaming people with a big following involved, there's probably a higher chance of attracting viewers who otherwise would not have gotten to see your content.

panda-zebra

I remember being confused when people applauded that they could preorder games

-devolver-clap-nuslu.gif

another great video. The mic chat thing had me in LOL. I'm surprised he didn't go hard enough on Bethesda.

And yes, Devolver Digital won E3 hands down. The best conference while simultaneously announcing zero games.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Holy shit I knew the Assassins Creed Collectors Edition was going to be brought up

The "What the fucking fuck, $800!" Slayed me

The mic thing with The Division and the music blaring and fucking mom got him a PS4 and not iPhone, it's like Jim is a gamer!

Good show Jim, now do it again next year

Top Bottom