• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Joker to be played by Heath Ledger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exclusive Scoop: We Know Who The Joker Might Be!
Date: July 20, 2006

By: Kellvin Chavez
Source: El Mayimbe

Yo! El Mayimbe here with un gran bochinche! A MAJOR SCOOP! For months, gossip has been circulating who would play The Joker in the next Batman Begins sequel. It's definite that the next sequel will concentrate on The Joker and they're already throwing names around such as Steve Buscemi - Robin Williams - Lachy Hulme -Alexis Denisof – and Mark Hamill.
We were first to tell the world that Brandon Routh was going to be the new Superman. Now here we are at it again as we just got word from A VERY TRUSTED SOURCE that the offer last night was officially made to Heath Ledger to star as The Joker in the Batman Begins Sequel! As Ari Gold on HBO'S Entourage would say: Heath Mother****in' Brokeback The Joker Ledger!

Stay further tuned to Latinoreview as this story further develops.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=736

heathledger.jpg

I don't know what to make of this.

metdroid said:
I dont get it :/

It means was it a pun meaning joke. Meaning by saying that you think that Heath Ledger sucks, do you actually mean that he literally sucks on something and--

It is totally not funny anymore when you break it down.

Nevermind.

J2 Cool

matrixpre6.jpg

"Are they f*ckin serious!?"

paul_bettany24.jpg

"wtf.... it was supposed to be in the BAG!"

brodyjoker7oy.jpg

"But.. but look how much I look like him."

2040136.jpg

"This joke isn't very funny.."

temp

posting on contract only
They could pick someone worse. That said, I won't be distraught when he isn't The Joker.

DMczaf

Shinoobi said:
:lol J2Cool

Anyway, awesome if true. Another month of material for Leno! WOOoooo..... :\

leno.jpg

"Hey Kev, the president said we must continue to find new sources of oil. The only place he doesn't want any drilling, 'Brokeback Mountain'!"

kevin_eubanks_main.jpg

"LOL!"

J2 Cool

DMczaf said:
leno.jpg

"Hey Kev, the president said we must continue to find new sources of oil. The only place he doesn't want any drilling, 'Brokeback Mountain'!"

kevin_eubanks_main.jpg

"LOL!"

:lol

Btw, was anyone else looking forward to a "got that chief!?" from The Joker to Batman?

Nameless

You mean I have to watch Batman Begins 2 with a bunch of 14 year old girls fapping for The Joker?

Call it a hunch, but I imagine it will be hard to immerse myself in the dark setting of BB2 with Mandy turning to Cindy giggling and saying "Oh My god, His dimples are soooo cute....he is so hot".

Boogie9IGN

Nameless said:
You mean I have to watch Batman Begins 2 with a bunch of 14 year old girls fapping for The Joker?

Call it a hunch, but I imagine it will be hard to immerse myself in the dark setting of BB2 with Mandy turning to Cindy giggling and saying "Oh My god, His dimples are soooo cute....he is so hot".

They'll stfu if they make him look like this:
joker22fy0haxe8.jpg

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
SamuraiSilver said:
hahah i love that he will always be associated to brokeback mountain now....and no longer "the guy in 10 things i hate about you"

i dont see how he ever was...since he wasn't even in that movie.. :lol

J2 Cool

Nameless said:

bb_076ChristianBale.jpg

"Tell them bitches to shut up."

No one's really mentioned this, hell even I've been dead set on Adrien Brody .... but why not Johnny Depp?

I mean, really from a business P.O.V. ... you could be talking about $400 million in box office domestic quite easily for a Batman sequel with Depp. And lets face it, he has more than the acting chops to do it, he has the physique/hair to suit the character, and I think he would like to play a homicidal type of character after PoTC. The Joker is an iconic character, Depp would OWN this movie.

If you're Warner Bros. you pay him $20 million, $30 million ... whatever ... because your box office returns are going to be so much higher.

temp

posting on contract only
soundwave05 said:
No one's really mentioned this, hell even I've been dead set on Adrien Brody .... but why not Johnny Depp?

I mean, really from a business P.O.V. ... you could be talking about $400 million in box office domestic quite easily for a Batman sequel with Depp. And lets face it, he has the acting chops to do it, and I think he would like to play a homicidal type of character after PoTC. The Joker is an iconic character.

If you're Warner Bros. you pay him $20 million, $30 million ... whatever ... because your box office returns are going to be so much higher.
You're a genius.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I predict gay Batman jokes will increase by 57%

Damnit, I hope *someone* at WB is smart enough to suggest Johnny Depp ... it's just *too* perfect.

The marketing campaign/hype could rival the 1989 Batman ... it would be beyond huge.

temp

posting on contract only
Heath Ledger in Batman Begins 2 = "Brokebat Mountain", "BrokeBat Cave"

I hope he's not in the movie just because of that.

J2 Cool

soundwave05 said:

I mean, really from a business P.O.V. ... you could be talking about $400 million in box office domestic quite easily for a Batman sequel with Depp. And lets face it, he has more than the acting chops to do it, he has the physique/hair to suit the character, and I think he would like to play a homicidal type of character after PoTC. The Joker is an iconic character, Depp would OWN this movie.

It's been mentioned, and I would be ecstatic, but the studio seems to not even mention the possibility. Or at least we haven't heard the slightest whisper. Then again the fans did pretty much pick Bale themselves. It's possible but I liked some of the selections rumored previously enough to see what happens. Ledger I don't like though at all. Brody, Weaving, Bettany. Now those are exciting prospects.

DMczaf

Depp was actually offered the role of The Joker, but later that day he received a call from Bale. Let's just say that Depp has avoided WB since said phone call.

Well maybe the box office of PoTC2 will make someone at Warner Bros. wake up.

Because I think Depp would like to do it, if offered as well, and yes he would probably want a big salary (I mean his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't demand it) ... but lets face it, your box office returns are likely to be $100-$200 million higher worldwide with Johnny on board, paying him $30 million even ... no problemo.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
soundwave05 said:
Damnit, I hope *someone* at WB is smart enough to suggest Johnny Depp ... it's just *too* perfect.

The marketing campaign/hype could rival the 1989 Batman ... it would be beyond huge.

Hmm Johnny Depp wouldn't bother me. I liked his method of acting, and I know he would take the character seriously. Or not seriously, however you're suppose to treat The Joker.

One big reason I would love to see Depp is these days he really puts the butts in the seats. I've talked to a lot of people that will see movies just because he is in it. More $$$ means a higher chance of a Bale / Nolan trilogy. :D

DMczaf said:
Depp was actually offered the role of The Joker, but later that day he received a call from Bale. Let's just say that Depp has avoided WB since said phone call.

Bale doesn't like Depp? I've never heard that one before.

I know it probably won't happen but

Depp as Joker
Bale as Batman
Nolan as Director

Script based around "The Killing Joke" =

Greatest Superhero Movie EVER. You wouldn't even be able to say Spider-Man or Superman Returns in the same sentence without laughing.

siege

Banned
soundwave05 said:
Well maybe the box office of PoTC2 will make someone at Warner Bros. wake up.

Because I think Depp would like to do it, if offered as well, and yes he would probably want a big salary (I mean his agent wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't demand it) ... but lets face it, your box office returns are likely to be $100-$200 million higher worldwide with Johnny on board, paying him $30 million even ... no problemo.

Jack Nicholson made $60 million from the first Batman. You don't get paid that or $30 million to do a movie upfront though. Gotta accept the smaller paycheck and then a percentage of the films gross.

I'd imagine Depp is booked with projects for a long time, though.

siege said:
Jack Nicholson made $60 million from the first Batman. You don't get paid that or $30 million to do a movie upfront though. Gotta accept the smaller paycheck and then a percentage of the films gross.

I'd imagine Depp is booked with projects for a long time, though.

Alright $20 mill upfront, with points on the backend. You drive a hard bargain siege. :)

However the points on the backend may not be as insane as what it was for Nicholson, because that version of Batman was slapped onto every t-shirt, poster, coffee mug, action figure, etc. etc. etc. produced in 1989. Nolan's Batman films aren't quite as kid friendly, even Burton's version was pushing it (and went too far with Batman Returns).

J2 Cool

It probably would skyrocket the franchise into the 350 million category of Spider-man signing Depp as Joker. Leading to huge hype for the eventual 3rd film which Joker should still be in. Therefore leading to another committment for Depp which he might not be willing to take after such a massive undertaking with Sparrow's work right now. Not to mention other obligations

Also, Nolan very intent on keeping it dark, Batman-based, and realistic takes away some of the advertising possibilites and mass appeal of '89's Joker/Batman. For one, the only time we'll ever see The Joker is when he's on the screen with Batman it's been said. It would be a rather minor non-spotlight role but with a heavy psychological off-screen feel to it. Lots of tossing around The Joker's name and influence than simply having him parade on screen in full glory. Which is kind of unfortunate for WB because advertising it with a big name and iconic history equals crazy cash, but they say they're determined to make it a different franchise than what they previously tried to make.

Anyway, Heath Ledger???

Buchemi would be so awesome, but it really depends on what origin they plan to give him. What is Jokers background anyways? I think of him as being older, but i suppose it could be someone young

Yes Buscemi would be awesome. I like Depp, but seeing him in pale make-up and acting fruity would bring back the not so fond memories I have of him playing Wonka.

Grizzlyjin

Suburban Cowboy said:
Buchemi would be so awesome, but it really depends on what origin they plan to give him. What is Jokers background anyways? I think of him as being older, but i suppose it could be someone young

I think most people around here would prefer The Killing Joke history of The Jokerm just because it makes you actually see him as a human, despite him eventually turning into a complete nut.

basically he is a failed comedian who eventually has to turn to crime to support his wife. He gets mixed up with some gangsters, thy kill his wife, and during a messed up robbery attempt (where Batman shows up to stop them) he ends up falling into a vat of chemicals.

The character is very interesting, there have been a lot of ideas thrown around about him over the years. Like the fact that he might actually be sane and that his Joker persona is just an act to stay out of jail.

From the Batman Begins ending, it sounds like they've set it up where The Joker is a criminal who is already insane...they just need the chemical accident to happen to push him over the edge.

Spencerr

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
From the Batman Begins ending, it sounds like they've set it up where The Joker is a criminal who is already insane...they just need the chemical accident to happen to push him over the edge.

The ending made it seem like the Joker was a result of the whole Scarecrow incident. I don't know maybe I wasn't paying attention that well.

Ichirou

Banned
DMczaf said:

Unsubstantiated rumors and innuendo - FTW? I have never heard this story.

Solo

Depp would be a nice pick, and hes surely got the range/chops for it. With that said, I dont think theres even the slightest chance he ever becomes the Joker.

pestul

Hmm, I might be the only one who likes the choice of Heath for this one (outside of pre-teen girls). The choice is so "out there' it might just work. He certainly does have a cheek to cheek smile too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom