• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

Video: Season 4 Episode 1: Matthew McConaughey (1/10/21)

Matthew McConaughey (actor, producer, and best-selling author of Greenlights) sits down with Jordan B. Peterson to talk about Matthew’s new book, his upbringing, his relationships with his mother and father, his journey to being at peace with his fame, what it’s like to play malevolent or dark characters in movies or on television, and a surprising satirical review of Greenlights.

[1:00] Jordan Peterson kicks off the conversation by asking why and how Matthew McConaughey wrote his book Greenlights.
[4:00] Matthew realized he needed to write the book himself without a ghostwriter as initially planned and dig back into his journals as a form of necessary reflection on the past.
[6:00] Matthew’s old journals revealed their common thread through all the stories, poems, and bumper stickers. That common thread was the creation of good things in life through mindset or action “Greenlights.”
[12:00] Jordan talks about his initial response after reading Matthew’s book and how his expectations were changed.
[14:00] Matthew talks about his solo trips when starting to create the structure of his book. Jordan comments that this was a book written by a celebrity that did not really focus on the traditional parts of being a celebrity (very family-focused and foundational). Matthew states, “When we were editing the book I found that the more personal the stories became, the more relatable they seemed to become, to the human condition, and that was my hope.”
[18:00] Jordan and Matthew revisit the African trip, chasing dreams and having the same exact dream multiple times over the span of many years.
[24:00] What was the personal impact on Matthew during his trip to Africa where he got to strip away the identity we all know him for and exist as something else? Jordan comments that very often, people confuse their reputation with who they really are and they start to act as a representation of their reputation instead of themselves; it’s an easy trap to fall into.
[22:00] Matthew discusses dealing with the pitfalls of fame. Matthew covers his changing relationship with his mother due to success.
[25:00] Jordan B. Peterson asks Matthew McConaughey about some of his acting work in True Detective and playing dark characters. “How do you play a dark role very well without letting the darkness invade you?”
[32:00] Matthew talks about the positive aspects of the sometimes tense relationship with his father and having a childhood that balanced love and hardship directed from the same people.
[37:00] Jordan and Matthew continue talking about going deeper into the psychology of a dark character like Rustin Cole on True Detective
[45:30] Matthew expanded on the short-term effects of initial fame.
[51:30] Matthew and Jordan discuss the long-term effects of fame.
[55:00] Jordan points out “If flawed people were incapable of creativity we would have no creativity.”
[1:03:00] How Matthew and Jordan first became friends.
[1:07:30] Matthew shares a comical review of his own book written as if Jordan was the one reviewing it.

Chaplain

Video: The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4 Episode 2: Gregg Hurwitz: Build a Better Democrat (1/18/21)

"This episode was recorded on 12/20/2020 before the most recent events on Capitol Hill. Gregg Hurwitz is an American novelist, scriptwriter, and producer. In the last few years leading up to the presidential election, Gregg has been working with an independent team of Hollywood writers, producers, and directors to design and promote a moderate political message for the democrats with wide public appeal."

Chaplain

Video: The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4 Episode 3: Douglas Murray (1/25/21)

Douglas Murray and I discuss, among other topics, the collapse of grand narratives on the left and the right alike, the potential for the resultant explanatory and motivational void to be filled by more radical ideological ideas, and the dangers posed by the mutual recrimination that all-too-frequently characterizes relationships across the left-right divide.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I listened to the Douglas Murray one and Jordan sounds really good. Best he's sounded in a while. Happy for him.

QSD

I hope his annoying weird daughter isn't involved. She can ride his coat tails and promote her bs some where else.
Yeah ever since that whole weird story I haven't been able to view JBP in quite the same light... like what was going on there? She had a 1000 diseases/allergies but cured them all by eating only meat...? I mean, it's certainly conceivable, but I think a psychosomatic explanation would be more probable for such a miracle cure. All while her dad is generally known for sticking up for traditional masculinity in face of an onslaught of soyboys. There is definitely some weird, symbolic link there, right...?

Go_Ly_Dow

The Douglas Murray episode is absolutely excellent. He's a national treasure for sure.

Peterson looking sharp too.

Definitely worth listening to the full thing for solid well articulated perspectives on the current state of play.

Last edited:

SKM1

Will listen to the latest episode in my commute. Stoked to see JP's back. Let's see how his new book fares, as well.

Jordan admits to being weakened and not as able to be as risky in that Murray discussion. I forget his precise words, but the sentiment is that he's not feeling able to stand up to the mob as much.

Not that you would expect him to be able to deal with that sort of thing yet, but interesting that he knows that is going on with himself. I think he'll be in the position of playing catch-up for at least a year.

Not a fan of Hurwitz based on what I heard in that interview. In the end, he produced divisive attack jobs that showed no understanding of the public.

Bridges

Jordan admits to being weakened and not as able to be as risky in that Murray discussion. I forget his precise words, but the sentiment is that he's not feeling able to stand up to the mob as much.

Not that you would expect him to be able to deal with that sort of thing yet, but interesting that he knows that is going on with himself.
He was referencing Abigail Shrier and admitting he was scared to talk to her because of how controversial she is. He said he finds her extremely courageous and thinks a lot of his courage was beaten out of him over the last few years.
The interview with Murray was excellent, I only wish it were longer. I could listen to them for hours.

pel1300

I guess we won't be seeing Sam Harris on the show any time soon.

Sam announced he doesn't wanna be associated with the IDW anymore. He's upset that they were "fence sitters" about the election.

What a shame. Oh well they still have Coleman Hughes.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I guess we won't be seeing Sam Harris on the show any time soon.

Sam announced he doesn't wanna be associated with the IDW anymore. He's upset that they were "fence sitters" about the election.

What a shame. Oh well they still have Coleman Hughes.
Strange. Jordan is Canadian and has been dealing with family issues and health issues for a year. Was he supposed to come out and tell people to vote Biden?

Tesseract

Banned
thanks for the link, he's bouncing back quick after sustaining immense damage

'if you make a mistake, it can be devastating ...'

already he's being pressured about fear, throes of eternalism

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
'problems don't go away, they never go away'

'i'll have the fight now knowing it's inevitable later' 'never let anything go unspoken, sweat your way through the inevitable'

impressions, public interest and perception

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In my view, what needs to be done as soon as possible is the re-normalizing of rational, reasonable discussion. As such what Jordan needs to do is to reposition himself back from the front-line of wider social/political discourse such that he can write, speak, and teach/discuss important ideas without being constantly dragged back into the cultural fire-fight.

No progress is going to be made until its possible to have discussions on the merits of particular strategies without it devolving immediately into finger pointing about political motives and hidden agendas. Jordan's firm and unapologetic style I think isn't an ideal fit for being at the vanguard of this; he's a fantastic ally (hate the term, but whatever) for those of us already onboard as an intellectual and academic, but at this point he presents a soft target for those who'd choose to employ innuendo and slander to undercut what he's saying.

Guess the tl:dr; is Jordan B. Peterson is a treasure that needs to be protected at all costs.

Go_Ly_Dow

He's the shepherd of all the lost souls (which there are a lot of these days) and he knows it. Hence his anguish when talking about all the people that approach him.

Chaplain

Video: Jordan Peterson and daughter Mikhaila Battle the Idols of Babylon emerging from the Fiery Furnace (2/1/21)

A new interview with @Jordan B Peterson and @Mikhaila Peterson emerged in The Times from the UK. It was clear from the downstream chatter that it was fresh and spicy. I was busy Sunday morning so I didn't get a chance to pursue it deeply but I figured the Petersons must have disagreed with it because they released the recordings of the interviews. The whole thing is really helpful in terms of not only getting a sense for how the Petersons see their world but also how the idealized idolatrous image of our culture colonizes us all. As I made the video the symbolism of Daniel 3 emerged so I ran with it.

LIstened to Murray yesterday and Ridley today (during my doomer walks).
Ridley tries to inject some positibity into the current western mindset. Murray, well you know he's Murray.

Both were pretty good for those classic Peterson tidbits.

Was just listening to this on my bike ride.

Something that never gets addressed is, what do these 'activists' think they are doing? The things they say can be predicted by a very small computer program, always the same ideological shit, whether it's about 'whiteness' or 'the means of production', their ideas are the same as everybody else in their clicque.

Do they think this is strengthening their cause, because I would think it weakens it.

Also this postmodernism stuff.. it's always casting doubt on anything that is useful, but it is never aimed at their own 'ideas'.

It's just that I don't have anybody with these ideas in my own sphere, so I can't ask really them. But sofar all I can see is that it is taking up resources in a time where efficiency would be a good idea (meaning, what Eric Weinstein calls the Embedded Growth Obligation, is coming to collect).

We have elections here in NL next month, and I'm very much paying attention to the propaganda that's being shat out over us.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I love Ayaan Hirsi Ali. The Gad Saad episode was better though.

Notice that no one in Wokeistan cares about "lived experiences" when she talks about her experiences with Islam?

Love how people pick and choose when to value someone's experiences based on their agendas.

Last edited:

evolvaer

Banned
I'm concerned about people with no knowledge of islam outside of right wing media and pop culture references to extremism and terrorism. There's a reason she gets touted in alot of right wing circles as a tokenism. Her views about islam are less to do with islam, and more to do with somali culture.

I'm concerned that people who have no actual understanding of islam will point to her and say, "see this person who had an experience as a backward rural villager in somalia? Her experiences confirm all my biases about how bad islam is as representative of ALL OF ISLAM."

There are actual issues with islam, and NONE of them are being discussed because we are too busy circle jerking each other in the west with a terrorism fetish. And here you have the token ex muslim, who will confirm all your biases about islam. If she is an athiest, clearly she had bad experiences with islam. But please consider someone growing up in somalia is not some one growing up in baghdad, or pakistan.

All brown people are not the same.

People just enjoy her because she reinforces their shitty biases about islam.

I'm concerned that people who have no actual understanding of islam will point to her and say, "see this person who had an experience as a backward rural villager in somalia? Her experiences confirm all my biases about how bad islam is as representative of ALL OF ISLAM."

There are actual issues with islam, and NONE of them are being discussed because we are too busy circle jerking each other in the west with a terrorism fetish. And here you have the token ex muslim, who will confirm all your biases about islam. If she is an athiest, clearly she had bad experiences with islam. But please consider someone growing up in somalia is not some one growing up in baghdad, or pakistan.

All brown people are not the same.

People just enjoy her because she reinforces their shitty biases about islam.
Well that may be.

What are the actual issues with islam you refer to? Is it the fact that they won't let you leave? Or how about they claim you from birth, and then won't let you leave?

You get your freedom of religion, I get my freedom FROM religion. This is the way of the west. I don't really care about what your religion entails, like I don't care about mormonism, satanism, judaism, and all the zillions of other fantasies. There is only 1 truth and that is all these systems are made up. So maybe if muslims would stop plugging (and forcing) their particular ideas, we could get along better.

So far I've heard only sound arguments from Ayaan, and only ideological drivel from muslims.

evolvaer

Banned
Well that may be.

What are the actual issues with islam you refer to? Is it the fact that they won't let you leave? Or how about they claim you from birth, and then won't let you leave?

You get your freedom of religion, I get my freedom FROM religion. This is the way of the west. I don't really care about what your religion entails, like I don't care about mormonism, satanism, judaism, and all the zillions of other fantasies. There is only 1 truth and that is all these systems are made up. So maybe if muslims would stop plugging (and forcing) their particular ideas, we could get along better.

So far I've heard only sound arguments from Ayaan, and only ideological drivel from muslims.

I appreciate your genuine response. You didn't try to attack my critique of her being interviewed with straw man arguments.
I actually agree with you about having freedom of choice, that seems common sense and reasonable.

We have to break this down to two points.
First, I'm a huge fan of jordan peterson (papa pete as my friends refer to him) for talking about the need to have meaning in spite of suffering in life. I'm disappointed with his interview with ayaan because if you never discussed a subject before, it's probably not a good idea to have the biggest critique of it whose left it to introduce you to a topic. Forget the subject of islam and how much you may dislike it, and just look at the context of the situation.

I've never really spoken about chevy vehicles before, so my first guest on today to discuss chevy vehicles is this ford spokesman.
It's either tone deaf, or deliberate. And jordan peterson in the past was more noble in his seeking and debating.

Now onto the actual point you were asking me about, what are the actual issues with islam that don't get addressed. For the most part the discussion around islam has never been honest or helpful because it was allowed to be framed by a compromised position. It's hard not to get into politics when it comes to islam.

When ever you want to exploit a people, you define them as unpeople. When europeans settled north america, the natives were refered to as savages. When natives of africa were mined for forced free labor, they were refered to as slaves. When western corporations invade middle eastern countries for strategic foot holds and oil resources, we refer to people who resist as terrorists.

There are actual issues with islam, but you have to talk to an actual muslim to find them out. Don't go to a ford dealership to learn about chevy's.

One actual issue is with leaving islam. Islam is about 600 years younger than christianity. Christianity went thru a great reformation, islam like any long lived religion is on a similar path. However that path to reformation gets halted or diverted with constant outside intervening forces. One issue you brought up is not being allowed to leave islam.
That depends more on whether you came out of a backward village in african somalia, or a cosmopolitan city in any middle eastern country like jordan.

Having lived in the middle east, and lived in the US and Canada, I can tell you i've never once seen a muslim try to convert anyone. Though I have seen countless christians try to convert me. This is anecdotal, i understand. My point being, muslims don't really fuck with outsiders. And islam needs to reform and to change, and the challenge is how to keep the essence of islam but modernize the rules. Like christianity has, and is currently doing.

Ayaan hirsi ali had a terrible experience. If you don't know anything about islam, all you will get from listening to her is confirmation bias. These people really are as bad as all the movies and corporate news tell me.

I'm more insulted by the lack of intelligent debate. And you mention ideology from muslims and only sound debates from ali, but you being an athiest and saying all religions are made up is an ideology in itself. This is not an enlightened renaissance thinking. This is a common view to hold, because of where you grew up. As is islam and other religions for people in different parts of the world.

Your view isn't going to supplant theirs, unless you believe in doing the exact thing you complain about muslims doing.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Not his podcast but he's on Rubin. He says he still struggling with illness but feels sharp. Nice little 15 minutes. Talks about why anyone should listen to him about putting your life together when his fell apart.

Chaplain

Video: The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4 Episode 8: Jonathan Pageau (3/1/21)

Jonathan Pageau and I discuss the issue of conscience, narrating objective reality, the perfect mode of being, the responsibility to move things towards the divine, the inevitability of religion, the significance of the virgin birth, and the idea of heaven. Jonathan Pageau is a symbolic thinker, YouTuber, and class carver of orthodox icons. Jordan and Jonathan have an ongoing dialogue surrounding Judeo-Christian narrative, reality, and symbolism among many other topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom