• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I listened to the Dave Rubin interview and it's clear he's still not back to his old self yet. I'd say He's 65% or so there. He kinda needs momentum to get rolling. Every few minutes there will be an awkward 5+ second pause for him to gather his thoughts, I thought my audio stopped the pauses were so long. But once he gets rolling he sounds like the old Jordan it just takes a bit to get there. But if you go back and listen to his old episodes he was a machine he sounded like he could talk non stop for 10 hours and his voice then had more volume to it, it feels like his voice lost a little bit.

I'm hoping he can get back to 100% soon.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Is there any intrest in doing a book club on his new book? I kinda feel like I'm talking to myself in here sometimes so I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I listened to the Dave Rubin interview and it's clear he's still not back to his old self yet. I'd say He's 65% or so there. He kinda needs momentum to get rolling. Every few minutes there will be an awkward 5+ second pause for him to gather his thoughts, I thought my audio stopped the pauses were so long. But once he gets rolling he sounds like the old Jordan it just takes a bit to get there. But if you go back and listen to his old episodes he was a machine he sounded like he could talk non stop for 10 hours and his voice then had more volume to it, it feels like his voice lost a little bit.

I'm hoping he can get back to 100% soon.
Just watched a bit of this video with his daughter and he feels he's at 20%

Humdinger

I haven't seen these recent interviews, but I'll watch them later. The last one I saw was the first interview he did post-recovery, with Mikhaila. He seemed pretty weak and slow in that one. I was worried that whatever cognitive impairment he suffered was going to be permanent. So it's good to see he is gradually, slowly recovering his cognitive abilities.

Chaplain

Video: Jordan Peterson on Constructing Your Identity, Chaos and Order, and the Escalating Culture Wars (3/4/21)

Is your notion of self-identity independent of social influences? Have you considered how much your identity has been negotiated with others since child-hood in order to be molded to the social norms? Clinical psychologist, Dr.Jordan B. Peterson uncovers the idea of functional identity and ties it to the tendencies you had as a child to self-regulate your behaviors in order to fit in. Your notion of self-identity and ability to leverage beyond the known in a logical landscape that navigates the unknown is anchored to the role you play among your peers. In this episode, you will travel through a conversation with Jordan and Tom that will push your view of peer groups, their role in shaping your identity, and how your responsibilities lie within your willingness to sacrifice and strive for more. Jordan explores the importance of slaying your dragons, and understanding that the ultimate battle is with yourself.

QSD

Been watching this, Jordan interviews the illustrator for his new book. I'm only 11:00 in and her story is already super interesting. (this reminds me a bit of an interview he did on his podcast with Nina Paley, an animator who did a series of animations based on the bible)

Edit: what I love here is how you can hear that he's actually a therapist and knows how to listen and get people to tell their story. Also, she's totally not the type that he normally has on, so he has to improvise

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This just came out, great interview and back and forth between these characters. I'd say the Triggernometry guys are slightly to the 'left' of most people who host JBP (maybe except Bret Weinstein) so they draw him in a different direction

I saw a bit of the Livestream they did before the interview. They were genuinely excited to have him on.

QSD

More Jordan that you can handle ATM

I'm about 35 minutes into this one, and Jordan gets very emotional. I have to honest and say that I still worry sometimes about his stability. The account he gives of his life currently and his lingering depression sounds like desperate agony, although when he talks about this he seems somewhat detached. You can see Bret trying to process what's actually being said and trying his hardest to give a proper response of empathy, but it's hard to know what to say. And then 2 minutes later it's off about YouTube again. :messenger_neutral:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Listening to that episode was heartbreaking. Jordan said basically he feels horrible all the time, it takes him hours once he wakes up just to be able to function in his day like a normal person. He has to practically crawl out of bed and into the sauna and then shower to feel remotely functional. And he said his entire diet is sparkling water and meat, he eats or drinks literally nothing else. I'm not sure if it's still the benzos or his autoimmune disorder or what.

He said hospitals always make him worse and he lives everyday in 15 minute increments. He also mentioned that he was tipped off about another hit piece incoming about him that will try to expose him as someone who scams people out of money or something.

QSD

Listening to that episode was heartbreaking. Jordan said basically he feels horrible all the time, it takes him hours once he wakes up just to be able to function in his day like a normal person. He has to practically crawl out of bed and into the sauna and then shower to feel remotely functional. And he said his entire diet is sparkling water and meat, he eats or drinks literally nothing else. I'm not sure if it's still the benzos or his autoimmune disorder or what.

He said hospitals always make him worse and he lives everyday in 15 minute increments. He also mentioned that he was tipped off about another hit piece incoming about him that will try to expose him as someone who scams people out of money or something.
It was heavy to listen to. I have to wonder what compels him to engage in such self-disclosure on a public platform. Especially if there are still people out there that want to damage him.

There was also a bit at the end of the Triggernometry episode where he talks about how he got started on benzo's where the mood shifts suddenly. He describes himself not having slept 21 days, having terrible anxiety and feeling awful ('I fainted everytime I got up'). In that case I was also kind of left wondering why are you talking about this in such detail? I'm almost left with the impression that he can't help himself.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Video: Jordan Peterson is Back! - Bret Weinstein's DarkHorse Podcast (3/8/21)

This was good listen! Sad to see Jordan being so emotional and fragile.
But happy to see him appear more often again. Peterson is my biggest discovery of 2020. I was under the assumption that he was a racist (coz Era told me) so I skipped his content.
Boy am I happy I gave it a change.

Chaplain

Video: Jordan Peterson’s EMPOWERING MESSAGE to Take Responsibility For Your Life | NEW w/ Aubrey Marcus (3/10/21)

Jordan Peterson is one of the most influential thinkers of our time. In this podcast we meticulously break down the importance of each decision you make to better your life. It starts with taking full responsibility for setting your purpose and the actions you take in pursuit of that aim. With his new book “12 More Rules For Life” as a backdrop we discuss alchemy, identity, gratitude, resentment and service.

Edited

Last edited:

Chaplain

Here are a few Peterson debates or discussions that I think many will enjoy:

Jordan Peterson vs Susan Blackmore • Do we need God to make sense of life?
"What are the psychological roots of faith beliefs? Can we make our own rules for life or are we subject to a higher level of meaning? Can we dispense with religion as a ‘virus of the mind’, or are even atheists fundamentally religious deep down?"

Jordan Peterson | Full Address and Q&A | Oxford Union
A Professor of Psychology at the University of Toronto, Peterson has received considerable media coverage after publishing a series of videos criticising the Canadian government's move to enact Bill C-16, which made misgendering a form of hate speech. His recent bestselling book, 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos topped the Washington Post, WSJ and Reuters U.S bestsellers lists.

Conversations | Dr. Jordan Peterson | 12 Rules for Life
John talks to Dr. Jordan Peterson during the Australian leg of his '12 Rules for Life' world tour. They examine the importance of individual responsibility, the terrors of totalitarianism, the dangers of ‘equality of outcome’ and the importance of freedom and fairness in the reduction of inequality.

Jordan Peterson: “There was plenty of motivation to take me out. It just didn't work" | British GQ
As part of our 30th-anniversary dissection of masculinity, Helen Lewis interviews controversial Canadian academic and bestselling author Jordan Peterson about the patriarchy, the alt-right, gay parenting, fascist ideologies, his all-beef diet and much more...

Slavoj Zizek debates Jordan Peterson
Slavoj Zizek and Jordan Peterson debate on the concept of Happiness: Capitalism vs Marxism. The event was billed as “the debate of the century”, “The Rumble in the Realm of the Mind”, and it did have the feel of a heavyweight boxing match: Jordan Peterson, local boy, against the slapdash Slovenian Slavoj Žižek in Toronto.

Political correctness: a force for good? A Munk Debate
On May 18th, the redoubtable Stephen Fry (self-admitted soft leftie) and I debated the duo of academic, author and radio host Michael Eric Dyson (https://bit.ly/2IzKSZz) and blogger/author Michelle Goldberg (https://bit.ly/2wVOTBZ). A press release describing the debate can be found here: https://bit.ly/2IUnG7j

AD Harris/Murray/Peterson Discussion: London
Sam and I met twice in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, with Bret Weinstein moderating, for a third time in Dublin, Ireland, and for a fourth and final time in London, England. Douglas Murray joined the debate with us for the latter two occasions.

Edited

Last edited:

QSD

Looks like Elon is going to be on Jordans Podcast.
He's been on a twitter trip last few days. Seems like he's also trying to court Dawkins (which should be interesting).
The attacks on Bernie IMHO are a bit low-effort though. It's a shame as Jordan has the potential to be a conciliatory, non-political figure.

QSD

I'm probably not going to win friends or influence people by posting this, but here is a bit of pushback on a part of the Weinstein interview, where Peterson says "healthcare (excluding public health) kills more people that it saves"

IMHO Pakman is right, even if you take the most generous view that Jordan was saying "maybe hospitals kill more people than they cure" it still is on the face of it a pretty dumb thing to say. Also not too sharp of Weinstein to go along with it.
It seems likely to me there's a relation between Peterson saying this and his private troubles in the healthcare system

Last edited:

l2ounD

I'm probably not going to win friends or influence people by posting this, but here is a bit of pushback on a part of the Weinstein interview, where Peterson says "healthcare (excluding public health) kills more people that it saves"

IMHO Pakman is right, even if you take the most generous view that Jordan was saying "maybe hospitals kill more people than they cure" it still is on the face of it a pretty dumb thing to say. Also not too sharp of Weinstein to go along with it.
It seems likely to me there's a relation between Peterson saying this and his private troubles in the healthcare system

Agree that the quote sounds dumb. But an 8 min sponsored segment about a wild guess seems sleazy. The podcast was over 2 hours long and Pakmans only take on it was that bit? Jordan is back! And the only thing worth talking about is how his dumb suspicion is dangerous.

QSD

Agree that the quote sounds dumb. But an 8 min sponsored segment about a wild guess seems sleazy. The podcast was over 2 hours long and Pakmans only take on it was that bit? Jordan is back! And the only thing worth talking about is how his dumb suspicion is dangerous.
I can agree that it would be nicer if David had engaged more with the rest of the podcast. The problem that I see is David Pakman is just a centre-left youtube personality, and an avowed capitalist, he's not overly hostile to JBP, so this "takedown" was pretty tepid, it could have been far worse. I mean, if he'd have done a longer segment about the new book, he would have read that rule #1 is "Do not carelessly denigrate social institutions or creative achievement."

l2ounD

I can agree that it would be nicer if David had engaged more with the rest of the podcast. The problem that I see is David Pakman is just a centre-left youtube personality, and an avowed capitalist, he's not overly hostile to JBP, so this "takedown" was pretty tepid, it could have been far worse. I mean, if he'd have done a longer segment about the new book, he would have read that rule #1 is "Do not carelessly denigrate social institutions or creative achievement."
Yeah for me its just that the whole bit was weak ass. Him thinking what Peterson said is so dangerous he had to spend all that time researching to make a video about it. I mean, really... its so outrageous and dangerous what Peterson said. I gotta worry about what Jordan is saying on the internet.

QSD

Yeah for me its just that the whole bit was weak ass. Him thinking what Peterson said is so dangerous he had to spend all that time researching to make a video about it. I mean, really... its so outrageous and dangerous what Peterson said. I gotta worry about what Jordan is saying on the internet.
Well, at least Jordan himself should be worried about what Jordan says on the internet. He runs the risk of discrediting himself and (by association) the people he talks to if he says things that are contradictory or erratic.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Well, at least Jordan himself should be worried about what Jordan says on the internet. He runs the risk of discrediting himself and (by association) the people he talks to if he says things that are contradictory or erratic.
He's got thousands of hours of the spoken word out there by this point. He's bound to say some incorrect things. Hardly worth getting worked up over but he's under a microscope from people who consider him a "threat"

QSD

He's got thousands of hours of the spoken word out there by this point. He's bound to say some incorrect things. Hardly worth getting worked up over but he's under a microscope from people who consider him a "threat"
When he first appeared on the scene I LOVED his personality lecture series. As I psychologist myself I was like "finally, somebody who actually knows his stuff talking about jung, freud and why depth psychology is interesting and has meaning". It will certainly be forever to his credit that he put that stuff online for free and brought the subject to such a wide audience. In the field of psychology, the school of clinical/psycho-analytical psychology that Jordan comes from was fast fading into obscurity in favor of more "hard science" approaches like neuropsychology and cognitive/experimental psychology. He's one of the very few people who attempt to bridge the gap between the two.

So to me his biggest value/contribution is as a psychology educator/lecturer with a wide reach. Lord knows we need some accessible psycho-education in these days of fraying mental health. I would have loved it if Jordan had started something along the lines of the HealthyGamerGG channel (I don't know if you're familiar with that, that guy is really doing life saving work) where he just talks to people on-stream about their problems. I think he did that for a while with his patrons..? Anyway, he'd be very good at it and it would be ultra educational.

It seems both a shame and a risk that he's right back in the political arena. I feel he partially brings the microscope thing on himself by heading right back into the trenches of the culture war.

Chaplain

Video: Russell Brand and Jordan Peterson | The Mikhaila Peterson Podcast (3/28/21)

"Welcome to the Mikhaila Peterson Podcast - this is an episode co-hosted by @Jordan B Peterson. In this episode, we spoke with @Russell Brand, an English comedian, actor, radio host, writer, and activist. The three of us explore family life, having kids, the role of sacrifice, mentor/apprentice relationships, seeing the divine in others, working with family, the aspiration of fame, and more."

Jon Neu

Banned
It's a shame as Jordan has the potential to be a conciliatory, non-political figure.

I don't think that's true at all.

The notion that he has to stay out of the "culture war" and then by doing so he can be a conciliatory figure, is completely ridiculous. First of all, for someone who tackles such big questions and themes, it's literally impossible to not touch the "culture war", because even when he doesn't want to talk about politics, he is talking about politics.

Jordan Peterson isn't a conciliatory figure because the people on the regressive left are totalitarians who not only don't tolerate any different opinion, but engage in character assasination and the literal social extermination of the ones who dare to have a different opinion. I mean, the mere fact that Jordan has much more male viewers is already constructed as his message being misogynistic and empowering toxic masculinity. And that's just by him trying to improve young people's lives, not talking about "politics".

QSD

I don't think that's true at all.

The notion that he has to stay out of the "culture war" and then by doing so he can be a conciliatory figure, is completely ridiculous. First of all, for someone who tackles such big questions and themes, it's literally impossible to not touch the "culture war", because even when he doesn't want to talk about politics, he is talking about politics.
In some sense that may be true, but I've heard Peterson say a number of times that he doesn't consider his message a political one. I've also heard him talk about the left in a more nuanced, conciliatory tone, where he acknowledges that there is a part of the left that is necessary to keep society stable, that someone needs to speak for the disenfranchised, because otherwise inequality will run out of control and society will destabilize (e.g. become more violent and chaotic).
If there's one person in American politics who consistently speaks for that part of the left, who addresses wealth inequality and corporate influence in politics, it's probably Bernie Sanders. So what's the point of Peterson attacking Sanders on twitter? He's antagonizing someone who, going by his own words, he should be able to reach some kind of understanding with. There's a ton of vacuous, woke and opportunistic left wing politicians who are better targets for his tweets.
Jordan Peterson isn't a conciliatory figure because the people on the regressive left are totalitarians who not only don't tolerate any different opinion, but engage in character assasination and the literal social extermination of the ones who dare to have a different opinion. I mean, the mere fact that Jordan has much more male viewers is already constructed as his message being misogynistic and empowering toxic masculinity. And that's just by him trying to improve young people's lives, not talking about "politics".
I'm not going to argue with you that the "woke" part of the left is out of control and doing a ton of damage.

Jon Neu

Banned
In some sense that may be true, but I've heard Peterson say a number of times that he doesn't consider his message a political one. I've also heard him talk about the left in a more nuanced, conciliatory tone, where he acknowledges that there is a part of the left that is necessary to keep society stable, that someone needs to speak for the disenfranchised, because otherwise inequality will run out of control and society will destabilize (e.g. become more violent and chaotic).
If there's one person in American politics who consistently speaks for that part of the left, who addresses wealth inequality and corporate influence in politics, it's probably Bernie Sanders. So what's the point of Peterson attacking Sanders on twitter? He's antagonizing someone who, going by his own words, he should be able to reach some kind of understanding with. There's a ton of vacuous, woke and opportunistic left wing politicians who are better targets for his tweets.

How is Jordan Peterson attacking Sanders? Has Jordan Peterson to agree with everything Bernie Sanders says or else he is attacking and antagonizing him?

You are trying too hard to put the blame on Jordan.

QSD

How is Jordan Peterson attacking Sanders? Has Jordan Peterson to agree with everything Bernie Sanders says or else he is attacking and antagonizing him?

You are trying too hard to put the blame on Jordan.
There was an incident a while ago where Peterson told Sanders to go and try and run a business after Sanders said something about Elon Musk having a hell of a lot of money. I don't know the exact gist of it anymore, it was a couple of weeks ago (or seems that way, in lockdown time LOL). Anyway I don't really blame him for it, but like I said, there are enough truly useless people on the woke "left" who are far more worthy of scorn. Sanders is just doing what the "proper left" is supposed to do IMHO. Jordan could also just invite him onto his podcast for a chat... who knows, if Sanders is willing to go on Rogan he might well be willing to talk to Peterson about what motivates him to criticize Musk. It would certainly be interesting.

In the end, Peterson has a large following, he could do a lot of good by trying to build bridges.

Jon Neu

Banned
There was an incident a while ago where Peterson told Sanders to go and try and run a business after Sanders said something about Elon Musk having a hell of a lot of money. I don't know the exact gist of it anymore, it was a couple of weeks ago (or seems that way, in lockdown time LOL).

Which again, it's not an attack. Jordan just sees the populism, naivety and virtue signalling of the left when it comes to economics and he gives them what they don't like: responsability. Jordan asks them to put their money where their mouth is, literally.

Jordan could also just invite him onto his podcast for a chat... who knows, if Sanders is willing to go on Rogan he might well be willing to talk to Peterson about what motivates him to criticize Musk. It would certainly be interesting.

I'm sure Jordan would be happy to have him, but Bernie will be vilified by the left if he accepts to go to his podcast and have a conversation. That's how things work in this era.

QSD

Which again, it's not an attack. Jordan just sees the populism, naivety and virtue signalling of the left when it comes to economics and he gives them what they don't like: responsability. Jordan asks them to put their money where their mouth is, literally.
So that depends (to give this discussion a Petersonesque spin) on what you mean exactly by 'responsibility'
From my point of view Bernie is one of the few politicians who actually shoulders his responsibility as an avatar of the "proper left" and gives voice to the people who support and vote for him, often to his own detriment (as shit politicians from his own party try to sideline him for it)
There is also a way in which Musk, Bezos, and other hyper-rich entrepreneurs like them dodge their responsibility by stashing their money in offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes.
I'm sure Jordan would be happy to have him, but Bernie will be vilified by the left if he accepts to go to his podcast and have a conversation. That's how things work in this era.
Well, he went on Rogan (who according to the woke is also a nazi) so I'm still hopeful he could get away with it.

Jon Neu

Banned

Screen-Shot-2021-04-06-at-4.47.27-PM.png

The woke mob calling Jordan Peterson a nazi through a Captain America comic.

Their lack of any resemblance of morality isn't shocking, but still embarassing.

Chaplain

Video: The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4 Episode 14: Senator Mike Lee

I had the pleasure of speaking with Senator Mike Lee on February 18, 2021. We discuss his experiences as a United States Senator for the state of Utah. Senator Lee and I talked at length about the structure and original formation of the US government. We also cover his hypothesis of what’s happening politically today, why it’s a problem, as well as possible solutions. Mike Lee has been a conservative Republican for the state of Utah since January 3, 2011. He is also a New York Times bestseller with his book “Written Out of History: The Forgotten Founders Who Fought Big Government.”

Chaplain

Video: Former BLM member on Jordan Peterson, Evergreen & Ta-Nehisi Coates (Brittany King & Bret Weinstein) (4/17/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom