• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The JRE has Roseanne Barr on.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems like Roseanne. I watched a bit of this and she was pretty likeable.

I do think it's kind of shitty she lost her show in the way she did. Same with James Gunn.

People should just comment on shit online anonymously. It's not ever worth it.

highrider

Banned
It was only a matter of time. Trump supporter, capable of critical thought and self reflection, outspoken, she never had a chance. Imagine the pressure in Hollywood just to parrot the party line politically. Shame because the interplay in the show between her and her liberal family was probably one of the more interesting and relevant subjects on tv in a long time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Important episode. A tweet: weaponized, taken from all context, used in an outrage campaign that swarms you from thousands of angles, gets attached to whatever narrative entertains the masses and harms the target the most, and inevitably blows up your career. I don't agree with her politics and she's a little kooky; barely worth mentioning. This should not be a matter of political partisanship to society at large and we shouldn't let ourselves take part in outrage deplatforming mob culture. Burn that shit to the ground if need be, not a new witch each day to satisfy our social media addled brains.

Potoo10

Neo Member
By the end when she speaks about muslim,"them","they" and jews and Joe calls her out on that she really does look insane.

Dthomp

Important episode. A tweet: weaponized, taken from all context, used in an outrage campaign that swarms you from thousands of angles, gets attached to whatever narrative entertains the masses and harms the target the most, and inevitably blows up your career. I don't agree with her politics and she's a little kooky; barely worth mentioning. This should not be a matter of political partisanship to society at large and we shouldn't let ourselves take part in outrage deplatforming mob culture. Burn that shit to the ground if need be, not a new witch each day to satisfy our social media addled brains.

I’m sure somewhere there is a place in time where Twitter seemed like a great idea, but I honestly don’t understand why people use it at this point. It’s reactionary news site where people just immediately melt down and in cases like Barr and Gunn cost people jobs thanks to the crazies out there who can’t take jokes, just want outrage.

Grinchy

Banned
"Kooky" might be a bit of an understatement lol

This woman is out of her gourd. It's very entertaining, though. And obviously halting an entire production over a tweet is even more insane than she could ever be.

Weiji

Banned
I definitely agree that Rosanne is a bit off her rocker. That said, she says what she wants, and frankly I like that.

I don’t agree with cancelling her show. The whole thing stinks of witch-hunting. James Gunn was the same thing.

Get off Twitter people, nothing good can come of it.

I watched it and thought it was a good episode, she obviously isnt all there in the head but is that because she has always been that way or because of the stress of the recent events? I guess only people who know her well can say.

Kadayi

Banned
I like JRE, but I don't know if I can be bothered with this one. I think the kickback against Rosanne was frankly absurd (removing her shows means the other actors lose their residuals...), but at the same time, her 'meds' excuse was kind of pathetic.

Singular7

Most people's internal thought process would sound "out of the gourd" if expressed. Kudos Roseanne, you're a real person without fear of others.

Sadly, or perhaps fortunately (depending), most follow lemmings and are lemmings; fearing having an honest thought expressed openly.

Personally, I find the "out of the gourd" mindset is following the majority, who have proven over the centuries to always be wrong.

It's the "crazies" who are proven correct over time, extrapolating forward, rather than relying solely on "what is in front of me" and "what is popular".

See 1908 headlines about the "lunatics" predicting a war in Europe... NEVER trust the majority, unless the majority has adopted what was formerly crazy.

Last edited:

Madflavor

The whole thing disgusted me. Roseanne makes ONE racist joke on Twitter, and her show gets cancelled within an hour while the Left calls for her head on a platter. And then James Gunn is revealed to have made DOZENS of pedophile jokes on twitter, and yet for some reason his firing was a great tragedy.

Btw, neither of these two should have been fired imo. But the hypocrisy that's been on display during this whole thing is very frustrating to look at. It's either the Left just looking out for their own, or it's our society telling us that Pedophilia isn't as bad as Racism. Either way America is still retarded.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
I watched it and thought it was a good episode, she obviously isnt all there in the head but is that because she has always been that way or because of the stress of the recent events? I guess only people who know her well can say.

She talked in detail about her history of mental illness which began when she was involved in a car accident when she was a teenager. She talked about this for 20-30 minutes and referred to it throughout the entire podcast.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
thought this was a fascinating interview. i had no idea she had been through so much, the mental health stuff, that whole bit about her staying in that hospital and all the horrible stuff that went on, wow.

funny that she asked the other people on the show to play the Trump supporters and nobody said they would do it. so she stepped into the role when no one else would and she gets shit for it. lol now they are in a no Trump supporter household, quite unlike most households in America. it's not often you see the media bubble isolate itself in real time.

tkscz

I only got an hour in but man does she have quite a fucked up life. No idea she had mental issues.

Though this makes me want to see an Adult swim like talk show hosted by her and Norm McDonald.

Ecto311

Her first appearance I was thinking ok cool I liked her and Joe talks about her being a badass in comedy I'll listen. But that was a long time ago and I learned my lesson. Shes a fuckin nutjob and it's hard to tell if its for effect or if she is really that way. Haven't been a fan since that first ep with her on it. Plus all the newer sitcoms are dogshit to me. They all have this slight improv feel to them and jokes where the punchline is "really" can all be cancelled as far as I care. They all have this void feeling to them like it's sapping your brainpower. Now back to my youtube subscriptions and check out what paymoneywubby has been doing. I am sure it is the highest of brow funny time.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Shes a fuckin nutjob and it's hard to tell if its for effect or if she is really that way.

did you listen to the interview? she talks about how she was in a mental hospital for 9 months and there were all these violent and abusive people living with her in confinement.

pretty shitty to dog on someone for their mental illness imo. they cannot control it. sometimes people get into accidents and it forever changes their brain. they can't control it.

we are all born into our bodies and have to deal w them flaws and all.

Last edited:

Greedings

Wow, I genuinely can’t stand this woman. She’s an utter idiot.

“People are Marxists!”
“I’m a Jew!”
“I’m a woman”

She just sounds so confused, no idea what her politics are. No idea how gradients of severitywork. Just a rambling old lady.

I can’t stand her, but i do feel sorry for her.

Ecto311

did you listen to the interview? she talks about how she was in a mental hospital for 9 months and there were all these violent and abusive people living with her in confinement.

pretty shitty to dog on someone for their mental illness imo. they cannot control it. sometimes people get into accidents and it forever changes their brain. they can't control it.

we are all born into our bodies and have to deal w them flaws and all.

I understand that and seen that in some of the other comments but that also means I don't want to listen to this shitshow even more so. Why would I or anyone listen to a person who just says shit and might not be all there. Even if she is on meds or getting help who knows the extent of it so the entire podcast is a wash since you have no idea. She could be genuine or she could be talkin shit or she could have issues. Nothing against her personally but more against the idea of wasting the time on the podcast and taking any of it to heart or trying to find entertainment in her.

MacReady13

She pretty much said in the episode that she was involved in a car accident whilst she was a pedestrian. She was great at maths and after the accident it ruined her maths abilities at school. From there she went to a psychiatric institution and was never the same. Sad story but really explains her kookiness. Thing is, her bosses at ABC would've known this yet still reacted to the idiots...

kingwingin

I like JRE, but I don't know if I can be bothered with this one. I think the kickback against Rosanne was frankly absurd (removing her shows means the other actors lose their residuals...), but at the same time, her 'meds' excuse was kind of pathetic.
The show is still on, just without roseanne

SegaShack

What they did is so messed up. They literally killed off the creator and person who launched their careers from her own show. It’s really messed up her colleagues not only had the gusto to do this, but that Roseanne signed away her rights to the show to keep it going and this is what they do to her character.

I’m not justifying her tweet or saying her comments didn’t look bad for Disney, but it amazes me John Goodman and Sarah Gilbert see no issue continuing her show while disrespecting her.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
What they did is so messed up. They literally killed off the creator and person who launched their careers from her own show. It’s really messed up her colleagues not only had the gusto to do this, but that Roseanne signed away her rights to the show to keep it going and this is what they do to her character.

I’m not justifying her tweet but it amazes me John Goodman and Sarah Gilbert see no issue continuing her show while disrespecting her.
She was pretty upset they did that, she talks about it very quickly but you can tell she was holding back tears. I wouldn't want to imagine my 'friends' throwing me under the bus like that.

SegaShack

She was pretty upset they did that, she talks about it very quickly but you can tell she was holding back tears. I wouldn't want to imagine my 'friends' throwing me under the bus like that.

Thats so sad to hear. Regardless of what she wrote her “family” shouldnt disrespect her at this level. Literally children who got their first break in acting and grew up with her decide to make her sign away her rights to her creation and have her character die of a drug overdose. I think it’s very exploitative of them.

BANGS

Banned

I’m not justifying her tweet or saying her comments didn’t look bad for Disney, but it amazes me John Goodman and Sarah Gilbert see no issue continuing her show while disrespecting her.
In a previous episode she was already tackling drug addiction problems, they aren't disrespecting her character at all. I thought they handled it really well honestly...

Arkage

Banned
Until the public pressure to defend dumb tweeters is larger than the pressure to fire dumb tweeters, the cycle will continue. Good luck doing that via twitter, a software that seems designed for call-out culture.

Last edited:
Top Bottom