• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters '98 UM Final Edition and 2002 UM possibly heading to Steam soon

According to Japanese site Gamer, SNK Playmore has released a schedule of some upcoming releases, including The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match Final Edition and The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match for Steam.

Sources:
http://www.gamer.ne.jp/news/201409100040/
http://shoryuken.com/2014/09/10/kin...mited-match-heading-to-steam-later-this-year/

Edit:
X3d5l0T.jpg
Check the image HERE

Steam
Metal Slug X, 4th October 2014
King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Final Edition, Nov 2014
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match, Dec 2014

iOS & Android
Beast Busters featuring KOF, Nov 2014

Vita, PS3, PS4
Metal Slug 3

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Now I feel dumb for buying the Android version last week. :/

Great news of course.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Samurai Shodown please.
2 or 4 will do, 5 Zero will be perfect but of course you want nothing to do with that game.

Korigama

I already have '98UM on PS2, but since the PS2 version of '02UM never made it over to the US and the only other digital release until now was XBLA-only, I could go for this.

Mechazawa

Hopefully with updated netcode. 02 UM was okay, but I heard that 98 UM was ultimate garbage.

Wonder how much the work they put into XIII's netcode could theoretically carry over to the older stuff, though.

ElTopo

Banned
IT'S HABBEINGNG!

giphy.gif

I'm gonna pick Geese, Krauser and Clark. Gonna' Deadly Rave all the scrubs! I'm gonna rep Nameless in 02 and make Akira references and be a tier-whore-scumbag-asshole!

BRING IT!

ElTopo

Banned
The XBLA versions ported at long last.

02UM might be the XBLA version but it's definitely not 98UM FE. FE was never ported to console and has more substantial balance changes. Mostly Krauser/Rugal nerfs and Lucky is now god tier. I'd be willing to bet 02 is based on the arcade version as well.

BasilZero

This is great news *_*!

2 of my most fav KoF games and they are in their "Remastered/Ultimate" edition :O.

I was hoping for more KoF action ever since I got hold of KoF XIII - so this news has me excited - will get both *o*.

Edit: Whoa and Metal Slug X as well? Fantastic!

Ninja Dom

Check the image HERE

Steam
Metal Slug X, 4th October 2014
King of Fighters 98 Ultimate Match Final Edition, Nov 2014
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match, Dec 2014

iOS & Android
Beast Busters featuring KOF, Nov 2014

Vita, PS3, PS4
Metal Slug 3

ElTopo

Banned
God almighty let these releases have GGPO/Rollback netcode. I'm really hoping with the amount of time that's been dedicated to these release (over a year ago they were found on the Steam Database and the last update to either of them is about 4 months ago) that they've been testing the netcode and using GGPO.

Rhapsody

Banned
02UM might be the XBLA version but it's definitely not 98UM FE. FE was never ported to console and has more substantial balance changes. Mostly Krauser/Rugal nerfs and Lucky is now god tier. I'd be willing to bet 02 is based on the arcade version as well.

Hm... now I'm a little interested in how 98UM FE is. Didn't know that it'd have that many changes.

ElTopo

Banned
Hm... now I'm a little interested in how 98UM FE is. Didn't know that it'd have that many changes.

Basically everyone is good aside from 2-3 characters. Krauser was top tier in the previous version but he was nerfed but he's still high tier. Rugal used to be top tier and now he's mid or high mid tier. And Lucky is god tier now. No joke.

Rhapsody

Banned
Basically everyone is good aside from 2-3 characters. Krauser was top tier in the previous version but he was nerfed but he's still high tier. Rugal used to be top tier and now he's mid or high mid tier. And Lucky is god tier now. No joke.

I need to see that later when it hits lol. Sounds like the balance is a lot better than regular UM besides Lucky.

BALLS
BALLS
BALLS

YOU'LL NEVER TOUCH MY BALLS

petran79

Banned
I was thinking o saving that money for a Christmas sale for USF4 upgrade, till they sorted this game and netcode mess out.

But with KOF98 and 2002 available, goodby Capcom, goodbye SF4. Unless they bring Vampire Savior or Jojo to Steam that is...

Miroslav

Im out of the loop regarding console ports of this games, I only played the arcade back in the day but... Will these games have online? Guilty Gear was recently released on Steam but with no online is just worthless (for me).

Tizoc

A few things

1- Notice that no mention of the next KoF game is in that table, guess it is a 2015 release?
2- Whoever is making the OT, I recommend the subtitle be 'USA! USA! USA!'

Silky

Banned
Im out of the loop regarding console ports of this games, I only played the arcade back in the day but... Will these games have online? Guilty Gear was recently released on Steam but with no online is just worthless (for me).
98 FE hasnt gotten a console port, but 02UM has and its netcode is trash.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
:O

Please don't have shitty netcode

GooeyHeat

Is Lucky actually top tier in 98 UM Final Edition?
Holy shit. Come on and slam, and welcome to Japan.

Also nice to see Metal Slug X. I got MS3 on Steam, but I never played it online. How's it work?

Loona

THE SNKP official Twitter linked to this PDF announcing incoming titles: http://www.snkplaymore.co.jp/us/press/pdf/140910_1.pdf

Glad to see officla confirmation of the UMs, especially that 98 is going for the Final Edition version - also, I had no idea Lucky was considered top tier there... an interesting outcome to the running joke of other characters stealing his KoF invitations.

Best Busters featuring KoF... I've had very little exposure to that series and its aesthetics (mostly monster hunting with guns), but I guess the KoF presence there will consist on playable Ikari team characters. Ralf is totally punching and shooting his way to the center of the SNK multiverse.

Sister Quest was originally a slot/pachinko series, I think, so seeing it adapted to an RPG is an interesting event - I guess along with the announced batch of games, SNKP is starting to move further away from gambling machines to mobile games. And sort of breathing new life into IPs they saw fit to represent in Rhythm of Fighters, even if they've been slot-only in the past.

Interesting times... :)

Sapiens

Why it takes so long for these no-brainer releases, I'll never know.

Treasure really needs to get RS and GH there as well

Top Bottom