• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters '98 UM Final Edition and 2002 UM possibly heading to Steam soon

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
s1Hf96M.gif

Too bad the online will probably be as dead as King of Clooneys '13, but at least I can chuck that out the window for these now. Proper Iori. <3 <3 <3

BadWolf

Always wanted to try the new KOF2002 so can't wait for this but will still have to wait on netcode impressions since multiplayer is all I care about.

Kim doesn't seem to be top tier in this game so it seems I can finally use him in peace again. Also can't wait to play Angel, Vanessa, Ramon and many others again.

Too bad K9999 had to become Nameless, really liked the original design/homage.

Here's hoping they release KOFXI with netcode as well, needs me some Gai Tendou and Oswald.

It's finally happening...

Too bad the online will probably be as dead as King of Clooneys '13, but at least I can chuck that out the window for these now. Proper Iori. <3 <3 <3

Uhhh... he's in XIII though as EX Iori.

Not XI or Reg A so...

I am curious to what version 02UM will be. If 98UM is Final Edition then 02UM is probably Road to Revenge seeing as that was the last actual revision that actually made changes as far as I know.

Damian.

Banned
They need to stop milking us like whore cows and release an SNK complete collection for $99.99 and include all the arcade games they have ever released.

And people said it wouldn't happen.
More than likely they are the final editions of both games. Now I can actually be excited.

They need to stop milking us like whore cows and release an SNK complete collection for $99.99 and include all the arcade games they have ever released.

All of SNK games ever? I am sure it would be more than 100 dollars.

Also I find it really funny this sneaks out right after I said this yesterday.
Awesome. Dunno if Ill get it since I played X 3 billion times.

I do like giving SNK money though.

KoF 98UM and KoF 2002UM soon though.

MoxManiac

Basically everyone is good aside from 2-3 characters. Krauser was top tier in the previous version but he was nerfed but he's still high tier. Rugal used to be top tier and now he's mid or high mid tier. And Lucky is god tier now. No joke.

Oh shit. I actually liked playing Lucky in the earlier versions. Wish they'd bring him back.

Why it takes so long for these no-brainer releases, I'll never know.

Treasure really needs to get RS and GH there as well

Ask Microsoft & Sega.
MS published RS on XBLA
Same with Sega and GH.

Definitely grabbing both 98 and 2k2...even though I already own them on XBLA (I think).

Tain

This would rule. I'd absolutely pick them up.

I hope the Metal Slug X port isn't handled by the same guys as the Metal Slug 3 port.

They did something close to this, but not quite. They released an SNK fighting game collection for the PS2 in Japan, in two volumes. I own them both and they're pretty awesome, and I think the volumes combined contain every fighter the original SNK (before bankruptcy) released.

Loona

Seems unlikely, which is sad because I'd really like to get my hands on their Hyper NeoGeo 64 stuff, namely Buriki One, that never left arcades.

shaowebb

This is amazing. For those looking to know greatness let me just remind you of the rosters in these games.

KOF 98 Ultimate
This game had a cool setup that reminded me of CVS2 grooves in that you could choose in ultimate mode how to setup your gauge system.

Hero Team
Kyo Kusanagi
Benimaru Nikaido
Goro Daimon

Fatal Fury Team
Terry Bogard
Andy Bogard
Joe Higashi

Art of Fighting Team
Ryo Sakazaki
Robert Garcia
Yuri Sakazaki

Ikari Warriors Team
Leona Heidern
Ralf Jones
Clark Still

Psycho Soldier Team
Athena Asamiya
Sie Kensou
Chin Gentsai

Women Fighters Team
Chizuru Kagura
King
Mai Shiranui

Korea Team
Kim Kaphwan
Chang Koehan
Choi Bounge

Orochi Team
Yashiro Nanakase
Shermie
Chris

Special Team
Ryuji Yamazaki
Blue Mary
Billy Kane

Yagami Team
Iori Yagami
Mature
Vice

Oyaji Team
Heidern
Takuma Sakazaki
Saisyu Kusanagi

American Sports Team
Heavy D!
Lucky Glauber
Brian Battler

Edit Only
Eiji Kisaragi
Kasumi Todoh
Shingo Yabuki

'98 UM Boss Team
Orochi
Rugal Bernstein
Goenitz

'96 Boss Team
Geese Howard
Wolfgang Krauser
Mr. Big

HIDDEN ALTERNATES

Orochi Yashiro
Orochi Shermie
Orochi Chris
Omega Rugal
The King of Fighters '95 Kyo Kusanagi
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Terry Bogard
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Andy Bogard
The King of Fighters '94 Joe Higashi
The King of Fighters '94 Ryo Sakazaki
The King of Fighters '94 Robert Garcia
The King of Fighters '95 Yuri Sakazaki
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Mai Shiranui
Art of Fighting 2 King
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Ryuji Yamazaki
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Blue Mary
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Billy Kane
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 Geese Howard
Wild Iori
Wild Leona

KOF 02 UNLIMITED

Single Entry
NAMELESS (aka K9999's moveset but on a new character to avoid Tetsuo lawsuit)

K' Team
K'
Maxima
Whip

Kyo Team
Kyo Kusanagi
Benimaru Nikaido
Goro Daimon

Fatal Fury Team
Terry Bogard
Andy Bogard
Joe Higashi

Art of Fighting Team
Ryo Sakazaki
Robert Garcia / "Charge" '99 - 2000
Yuri Sakazaki

Ikari Warriors Team
Leona Heidern / Wild Leona
Ralf Jones
Clark Still

Psycho Soldiers Team
Athena Asamiya
Sie Kensou / "Without Psychic Powers" '99
Bao

Masters Team
Heidern
Takuma Sakazaki / "Classic" '99 - 2001
Chin Gentsai

Women Fighters Team
King
Mai Shiranui
Kasumi Todoh

Pretty Girl Team
Li Xiangfei
Hinako Shijou
May Lee

Kim Team
Kim Kaphwan
Chang Koehan
Choi Bounge

Jhun Team
Jhun Hoon
Lin
Shingo Yabuki

Yagami Team
Iori Yagami
Mature
Vice

'97 Special Team
Blue Mary
Billy Kane
Ryuji Yamazaki

Orochi Team / Another Orochi Team
Yashiro Nanakase / Orochi Yashiro
Shermie / Orochi Shermie
Chris / Orochi Chris

Agent Team
Vanessa
Ramon
Seth

NESTS Team
Kula Diamond
Angel
Foxy

Clone Team

Kusanagi
Kyo-1
Kyo-2

Final Bosses
Krizalid
Zero (Clone)
Zero
Igniz

Special Boss
Omega Rugal

Single Entry Bosses
Goenitz
Geese Howard / Nightmare Geese

shaowebb

Bring all your games to Steam, SNK. Especially The Last Blade with decent netcode.

THIS. Also, Neogeo Battle Colisseum needs to happen again. Game is phenomenal. SNK in general is amazing at creating rosters. I would love to see more of them on steam.

I'll buy em both in a heartbeat. 98UM is fun but 02UM is my favorite really. Something just really clicked with it for me. Come on Steam.

Exr

Sega Saturn KoF 96 or bust.

That being said. I will keep an eye how the netcode is for this.
I love 96 and play it occasionally on my Saturn...but I never want to play it online. Id smash my controller from all the broken shit in that game.

OmegaDL50

KOF '98 is without a doubt my favorite SNK fighter of all time.

The Ultimate Match edition basically adds in the characters missing in the game in KOF94 through 97.

So basically KOF '96 Boss Team, Kasumi from KOF96 and Eiji from KOF95, not to mention Bosses Goenitz and Orochi.

I also like the alternative character picks like AOF2 King, Ryo, Robert, and Real Bout Terry, Andy, and Joe. As well as KOF95 Kyo (ground based projectile, three rising kicks, etc)

Basically it is the culmination of KOF from 94 to 97 in a single game with every single character across those years with the mechanics that were introduced in 97 (Extra and Advance Gauge, and the new Ultimate gauge which lets you mix and match dodge roll or side step with the extra or advanced meter)

I don't know what they could improve upon in a "Final Edition"

KOF2002 UM is awesome too.

I'm buying both on day one if this is indeed true.

02UM might be the XBLA version but it's definitely not 98UM FE. FE was never ported to console and has more substantial balance changes. Mostly Krauser/Rugal nerfs and Lucky is now god tier. I'd be willing to bet 02 is based on the arcade version as well.

I hope 2002 UM is based on the Tougeki version, which had several balance changes and tweaks over the standard 2002 UM version.

Tizoc

Yup KoF 98 has at least 50% more characters than XIII if anyone dares to question its price ;)
Likewise 02 UM has almost TWICE as many characters as XIII!

Granted the sprites won't appeal to everyone but you would have 2 games that each have their own unique playstyle system and dozens of characters to mess with. The only issue is that they are releasing within a month of each other, I think that this is not gonna appeal to everyone. I'd still get them day 1 though =)

Uraizen

Banned
For those that don't know, they've been implementing new netcode for every steam release they've done. All of them have been decent so far, imo.

ElTopo

Banned
I hope 2002 UM is based on the Tougeki version, which had several balance changes and tweaks over the standard 2002 UM version.

Only difference between the two is that the Tougeki version removed Goro and Momoko(I forget her name, the loli chick with a command grab)'s infinites. Chris' dive kick infinites are still a thing though.

Roshin

I will buy everything they release on Steam, but come on, give me a version of Samurai Shodown and The Last Blade.

Loona

Only difference between the two is that the Tougeki version removed Goro and Momoko(I forget her name, the loli chick with a command grab)'s infinites. Chris' dive kick infinites are still a thing though.

Momoko only appears in XI - maybe you're talking about Angel?

Top Bottom