• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters '98 UM Final Edition and 2002 UM possibly heading to Steam soon

I agree. They need to either do that, start updating the graphics of both KOF '98: Ultimate Match Final Edition & KOF 2002: Unlimited Match to something like either KOF XIII or Guilty Gear Xrd Style, or just bring out KOF XIV that's similar to both '98 & 2002: UM in terms of both a huge roster & a graphical update.

XIV as rumored to be a dream match, will probably be that. Speculation has been 50+ characters and some kind of graphical update. To what, I don't know.

And for the post you replied to, I'd expect that kind of package only if almost none of the games in it were given online co-op or versus. I'd prefer a steadier stream of Steam re-releases while new stuff (not pachinko or mobile games) is worked on.

alstein

I want to smaller, more focused games from SNK, that aren't KOF.

I want a new FF game and a new SamSho, or a Last Blade game that doesn't require a 2 page banlist.

But right now I just want a firm release date for 98UM , I'm getting nervous it won't come out on time, and a 4-pack option since I want to gift the game to some folks who are hurting moneywise and are huge fans.

ArjanN

XIV as rumored to be a dream match, will probably be that. Speculation has been 50+ characters and some kind of graphical update. To what, I don't know.

And for the post you replied to, I'd expect that kind of package only if almost none of the games in it were given online co-op or versus. I'd prefer a steadier stream of Steam re-releases while new stuff (not pachinko or mobile games) is worked on.

Kinda depends if 14 is built on 13, no way are you getting a high number of characters if they have to start from scratch again.

I think it's more likely they'll just fully switch over to 3D (models that is, like SFIV/GGXrd)

Kinda depends if 14 is built on 13, no way are you getting a high number of characters if they have to start from scratch again.

I think it's more likely they'll just fully switch over to 3D (models that is, like SFIV/GGXrd)

Considering what it took to get XII/XIII sprites, They'll probably be some kind of 3D models for future entries. Sad that starting from scratch would be easier, as I'd love to keep those sprites going.

If they look like anything, I hope they're more similar to Xuandou Zhiwang, but still it's own style.

BadWolf

Rumor was that it's their most expensive project yet and they have hired people from around the world. Over a year has passed since hiring ads first appeared in Arcadia magazine and they are still hiring people.

It's most likely going to be 2.5D.

GGXrd has really set a new bar for what a 2.5D game can look like so here's hoping that inspires SNK.

Biker19

Banned
Rumor was that it's their most expensive project yet and they have hired people from around the world. Over a year has passed since hiring ads first appeared in Arcadia magazine and they are still hiring people.

It's most likely going to be 2.5D.

GGXrd has really set a new bar for what a 2.5D game can look like so here's hoping that inspires SNK.

I agree. Arc System Works just about set the standard for future fighters with Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-. Other companies like SNK & Capcom should follow suit in their future fighting games.

Loona

Wasn't this known already? It is mentioned in he link in the first post :p

Pretty much, but the FGC weekly topics are kind of Capcom-centric, so you can't really expect them to be up to date on SNK info. Heck, SRK.com tends to be fairly late in reporting news that concern its primary audience, let alone for non-Capcom games.

This is going to mess with my NaNoWriMo attempts, I just know it!...

alstein

Uh...11/14 means Nov. 2014 and 12/14 means Dec. 2014.
Least that's how I interpret it.

Dec.14th's a Sunday, so ugh. Yeah, probably too good to be true.

I was expecting 98UM to be day before Thanksgiving and 02UM the week after so ensure both games did less well.
Gotta expect the dumbest decisions- this is SNK we're talking about.

Tizoc

Dec.14th's a Sunday, so ugh. Yeah, probably too good to be true.

I was expecting 98UM to be day before Thanksgiving and 02UM the week after so ensure both games did less well.
Gotta expect the dumbest decisions- this is SNK we're talking about.

I find your 180 rather funny :p

Tizoc

SNK's website now reporting Winter instead of November for both games.

Did seem strange there was no word on their release lately.
Non the less if it means they can iron out any issues, that'd be OK.
Wonder if this means we'll FINALLY get to see some KoF 14 footage...

alstein

Damn folks are desperate for hope. I've had them crushed by SNK so many times I'm not expecting the game until January

prudislav

its here
header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/222420/
Available: 12 December, 2014
Pre-order for: 11,99€ (-20% from 14,99€)

BFA

Just did my part. I also really like how they included the original 98 too. Hopefully more features from the ps2 version will be included in this.

KAL2006

Banned
How is the online community for XIII. I was hoping for a console port for PS4. No offence to PC fighting game community but other than USFIV I have trouble finding matches on PC platform for fighting games.

sibarraz

Banned
Even though most of the time I'm 2d and neo geo purist, I would have loved to seen the 3d backgrounds from the ps2 version. They could had tried some HD backgrounds like NGBC in the 360 with some filters, but don't know how much would have changed the gameplay while doing that

sibarraz

Banned
Bout time. I want that 2002UM Tougeki version eventually too.

Not much info is really known to be honest.

If they used GGPO they would have mentioned it as a feature, so now I'm worried

As long as I can play with people from my country I will be happy, KOF XIII does well on that aspect.

The netcode in the 360 version was SUPER bad

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Over $10 is a little too rich for my blood, even with the inclusion of the original '98 in addition to rebalance and new characters for '98 Final.

I'll probably get it later though.

BOTEC

Brought to you buy the people who ported Killer Instinct to the Xbox One. Not sure if that's good or not. Was there anything horribly broken about that port?

ElTopo

Banned
If they used GGPO they would have mentioned it as a feature, so now I'm worried

As long as I can play with people from my country I will be happy, KOF XIII does well on that aspect.

The netcode in the 360 version was SUPER bad

They could be using Rollback netcode, just not GGPO like Tencent's netcode used on the browser version.

Tizoc

Over $10 is a little too rich for my blood, even with the inclusion of the original '98 in addition to rebalance and new characters for '98 Final.

I'll probably get it later though.

Seriously? $12 is a great price IMO, well worth it. Unless you have budget issues...I see no reason not to get this game at that price.

AND WHY HAS NO ONE MADE A THREAD ABOUT KOF 98 UM BEING UP ON STEAM, GET ON IT PEOPLE!
I go no thread creating privileges, else I would've made on myself.

ArjanN

Bought!

Seriously? $12 is a great price IMO, well worth it. Unless you have budget issues...I see no reason not to get this game at that price.

AND WHY HAS NO ONE MADE A THREAD ABOUT KOF 98 UM BEING UP ON STEAM, GET ON IT PEOPLE!
I go no thread creating privileges, else I would've made on myself.

Yeah, needs it's own thread.

Of course Ill get it as I have been waiting for it and 2002UM but I am not going to pre-order and just buy it on release. Anything dumb can dumb with the release of something now a days.

Glad 98UM is on Steam. Going to wait until I hear netcode impressions first. I'm hoping 2002UM is coming soon, I want it just that tiny bit more than 98UM.

ElTopo

Banned
So, good news. This was ported by Code Mystics. Same guys behind the original KI ports for XBONE, the PS4 and Vita ports for Nidhogg, and supposedly fixed the netcode for the MK collection. Heard the netcode was good for classic KI 2 on XBONE.

Their Twitter. https://twitter.com/codemystics

Top Bottom