• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thus is the nature of DLC! No matter how full the game is they get beforehand, or how much one gets for the cost, someone always complains.

I never would have imagined such back in the 90s. I was jealous of PC gamers getting to watch their games grow, while I just had to buy sequels for the same ideas.

Moving on later, when fighters announced the idea of DLC characters, I was very excited. Finally, the genre I'd most want to see DLC for, actually getting some!

I never expected the complaining, hurt feelings, the "this stuff used to be free!" complaints, or for it to be an issue with tourneys.

Really, even now, I wish re-released games would get DLC new characters, lol. I'd have loved to have seen C.Viper or Abel back-ported into SFIII, or to see how Hwa Jai, Raiden, and new Maxima would have worked in 2K2UM. I'd love to see them bring back old No-chance-at-a-sequel games (Heck, lets revive Weaponlord!) and add a few DLC characters, lol.

I still view DLC as "content that wouldn't even be created, if not for the fact that it can be charged for seperately", so I rarely feel slighted. Even if KoF might have recieved EX characters later down the line... if not for DLC, it might be a few years before we saw these guys.

The only fighter DLC I personally ever felt iffy about is for BlazBlue. I DL'd Valkenhayn, but barely have played the game since then, lol. Not ASW's fault... the game just doesn't hold my interest much lately...

Mileena

Banned
well I already dislike SNK for not giving PSN any good KoF games... so I'm somewhat glad there's no interesting DLC so I don't have to give them any more money.

Seriously, why isn't 2002UM on PSN? Why port worthless 90s KoFs instead of UM or XI? Why SNK? They make it too easy for me to dislike them.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Truthfully, it's probably because 2k2UM is backwards compatable on PS3 in Japan, combined with the fact that Microsoft Japan seems to be easier for small companies to work with as well, as well as providing an easier access to worldwide release.

It's clear to see SNKP isn't that Anti-Sony, with as many PSP-related things they've released. But you know there has to be some behind-the-scenes stuff going on, when even an improved port like NGBC doesn't make it onto PSN.

Sony sewed some bad seeds back in the day, when the rejected so much 2D gaming from various companies. I guess they're still paying in many ways.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
SAB CA said:
Truthfully, it's probably because 2k2UM is backwards compatable on PS3 in Japan

I fail to see how this is a factor, considering that BC PS3s haven't been in production for years, and Slims undoubtedly far outnumber OG PS3s by this point.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Seraphis Cain said:
I fail to see how this is a factor, considering that BC PS3s haven't been in production for years, and Slims undoubtedly far outnumber OG PS3s by this point.

Because much of the Sony-loyal Japanese buying audience who wants 2k2UM probably has it either that way, or on an actual PS2. Not to mention Sony has more loopholes for international downloadable game releases. It's not the only factor, at all, but it compounds onto the others.

With the SNKP and Treasure support, I'm so glad I chose 360 at the start of this system lifecycle. Their games alone would have possibly made the PS3 the only system I would have ever traded in... if I couldn't have just purchased a cheaper 360 anyway, which I probably would have done, really.

Skilletor

patrickthehedgehog said:
If the dlc were characters you really wanted you'd all bitch. They decide to do characters fans would apppeciate and now people are hating. Get over it asshats.

I would much prefer new, unique characters over characters I've played before. It's SEVERELY disappointing that there are ZERO new characters in this game.

Unless that OTHER Ash is new. I don't know.

Tizoc

He's not even Ash, just his great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-honestlyIdunnohowmanymoregreats-great-grandfather.

If by new characters you mean new to KoF, there's Hwa Jai and Saiki, but if you mean completely new, then only Saiki >__>

Skilletor said:
I would much prefer new, unique characters over characters I've played before. It's SEVERELY disappointing that there are ZERO new characters in this game.

Unless that OTHER Ash is new. I don't know.
Saiki is technically new, yes. Most would rather see fan favorites than new characters, see the past two pages for proof.

Tizoc

Grrr watching that Game Informer preview of the console version...
Why are SNK showing Oswald, Heidern and Shingo in the intro image of story mode >_<

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Saiki (The Other Ash) is entirely new to this game (other than his shared Ash frames), so yeah, he kinda counts. Hwa Jai is also totally new to KoF, and has no other in-game playable appearance since Fatal Fury 1... if you could even count him playable there (I think he was playable on SNES?)

KoF is a delicate game of "Bring back the old classics" and "inject something new", though... I actually prefer the character re-creating they've done in this game, VS totally new characters, in this case.

KoF normally only introduced truly new characters in the first games of an arch anyway, and we still haven't caught up with the true new characters of XI yet. Elisabeth got past it, but Momoko and Oswald are kinda stuck.

I'd be happy if the DLC just brings back the rest of the Ash Saga's introductions (Adel really deserves to be here, too). I can wait until KoF XIV for new characters (and will be trying to make XIII a success to ensure that XIV happens!)

Tizoc said:
Why are SNK showing Oswald, Heidern and Shingo in the intro image of story mode >_<

Because they're parts of the story... explained in that... mode? ;)

Better SOME representation, than none at all!

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
Because they're parts of the story... explained in that... mode? ;)

Better SOME representation, than none at all!
Sorry mate I would've rathered some of them were PLAYABLE instead of just being cameos =/

SAB CA said:
KoF normally only introduced truly new characters in the first games of an arch anyway, and we still haven't caught up with the true new characters of XI yet. Elisabeth got past it, but Momoko and Oswald are kinda stuck.

You're forgetting about the "we're introduced in the last game of the arc only to die/completely disappear from every game after this one except dream matches" characters >__>

Tizoc said:

Serious answer: Heidern is important to the plot, and Shingo and Oswald were members of one the main teams in the last story game.

Alternate answer: SNK wants to make us suffer.

Galdelico

corkscrewblow said:
well I already dislike SNK for not giving PSN any good KoF games...
That's not true. KoF'95 is still brilliant imo and apparently we are gonna get '96 soon (sorry for the double post, but it passed pretty much unnoticed in the Neo Geo Station thread, so I'll post it here as well, since it's also kinda related):

ngsr.jpg

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SolarKnight said:
You're forgetting about the "we're introduced in the last game of the arc only to die/completely disappear from every game after this one except dream matches" characters >__>

No, no... I didn't forget my dear Shermie ^_^ And those... other 2... who need not be mentioned, haha.

Of course, if we look at it this way, we can also say that the 96 Boss team was completly forgotten on the road to 98, only really getting a chance once 98UM released. They're even more tragic than the New Face / Orochi team.

At least the new faces were strikers in 2000, also! :lol: (No, no, this doesn't count to me, either.)

Serious answer: Heidern is important to the plot, and Shingo and Oswald were members of one the main teams in the last story game.

Alternate answer: SNK wants to make us suffer.

I like seeing that even non-player characters are still relevant, in the companies minds. Much better than just forgetting they exist, and having them only show up in off-chance winquotes, or something...

Tizoc

SolarKnight said:
I feel like saying 'fuck the plot' mainly because what exactly will change by adding a story mode? Hardl any characters will change their attitude and behavior in future KoFs.
...but I'll give it a try and see what it's like first.

Mileena

Banned
Galdelico said:
That's not true. KoF'95 is still brilliant imo and apparently we are gonna get '96 soon (sorry for the double post, but it passed pretty much unnoticed in the Neo Geo Station thread, so I'll post it here as well, since it's also kinda related):

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7716/ngsr.jpg[img][/QUOTE]
yea, those aren't good imo

I'll only accept 98UM, 2002UM or XI. There's no excuses. They keep treating PS3 like shit and then they'll complain when XIII sells like shit on PS3.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
"Pixel Art in 2011?"
"A Cut above the 3rd Strike"
"HD = HIGHER Definition!"
"Playable Art on Display!"
"Invitations to all from Fersis' Waifu..."
"Leave the Streets, Fight on the World Stage!"
"Kings don't fight in the Streets!"
"13 is our lucky number!"
"Living up to it's name!"
"2D's are more than 3..."
"King look like a lady..."
"The Re-Education of Raiden"
"K's Dashed hopes!"
"Fatal Fury for the Art of Fighting!"
"IORI HAS HIS FLAMES, STOP WHINING!"
"Has Mai! Go BUY!"
"Our Color Edit was FREE!!"
"More features than your last 3 fighters combined!"
"Nippon Ichi! (Not the RPG guys...)"
"SvC: SNKP vs Consumers!"
" The Official King"
"Technicolor Flame Game"
"Yes, Ash is a guy!"
"1 Game. 2 Ioris. 3 man teams. 4 Disk Soundtrack!"

Should be able to find something in there you like... :)

Frankfurt

Banned
SAB CA said:
"Has Mai! Go BUY!"
"Our Color Edit was FREE!!"
"More features than your last 3 fighters combined!"

One of these.

The 3rd one is probably the most sensible and would make people curious enough to check the first post, at least (even though MK would be very debatable).

But i love the Mai one.

OP should have at least (IMO)

• Mai's idle animation gif, five times in a row, at the top of the first post
  • the official trailers (only direct-feed footage)
  • maybe one really good match video, also in direct-feed (too many matches would probably scare people off/be intimidating)
  • 3-5 official, direct-feed 720p pictures
  • list of features/modes
  • list of characters
  • pre-order bonus
  • the "Guide to play KOF" video

Tizoc

One thing I think the first post SHOULD have among the first paragraphs is something like this-
How does this game play? Is it like KoF XII?
The game plays similar to traditional KoFs. If you're familiar with KoF 2002's system you should be able to pick up the game quite easily.
If this is your first KoF, then don't worry the game is easy to learn if you're patient enough.
The game uses elements from KoF 2002 and 2001;
From 2002: MAX Mode is known as HD in KoF XIII; when the green bar is full, you can activate HD mode allowing you to cancel special moves into other special moves for a long damaging combo.
From 2001: You can cancel special moves or EX moves into other EX or special moves at the cost of half the green bar (if it is full you can do 2 cancels).

How the game plays is gonna be one of the important questions that a GAFfer may ask.

Also, the only feature this game has over the others is a Color Edit mode which...is really the 2D variation of Tekken's character customization mode =V

OP should have at least (IMO)
Mai's idle animation gif, five times in a row, at the top of the first post
the official trailers (only direct-feed footage)
maybe one really good match video, also in direct-feed (too many matches would probably scare people off/be intimidating)
3-5 official, direct-feed 720p pictures
list of features/modes
list of characters
pre-order bonus
the "Guide to play KOF" video

One thing I think the first post SHOULD have among the first paragraphs is something like this-
How does this game play? Is it like KoF XII?
The game plays similar to traditional KoFs. If you're familiar with KoF 2002's system you should be able to pick up the game quite easily.
If this is your first KoF, then don't worry the game is easy to learn if you're patient enough.
The game uses elements from KoF 2002 and 2001;
From 2002: MAX Mode is known as HD in KoF XIII; when the green bar is full, you can activate HD mode allowing you to cancel special moves into other special moves for a long damaging combo.
From 2001: You can cancel special moves or EX moves into other EX or special moves at the cost of half the green bar (if it is full you can do 2 cancels).

Yeah, I agree with both of these comments.

Also, the only feature this game has over the others is a Color Edit mode which...is really the 2D variation of Tekken's character customization mode =V

Speaking of Color Edit, the Raiden example needs to be in the OP :U

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:

"A training/trial mode that actually demonstrates the moves" is also a nice bonus feature, that too many fighters this gen have lacked. What's actually had it? BB maybe? I think VF and Tekken only displayed moved in a demo, but no combos, and Tekken oddly didn't demonstrate all moves, which I never understood the reasons for...

Anyway, then we could get into things like the additional color palettes included with some characters straight off the bat, the quality gallery mode (which some things like SSFIVAE are actually lacking, for... some reason), A story mode that might just rival BB's (MK's is something else entirely, and SF doesn't have any such thing this generation), more unique (and interesting!) stages than probably any other fighter this generation (expecially if we're gonna be like SSFIV, and count variations of the same stages), and the amount of music tracks in game by default, with at least 1 for each team, and then at least 1 alt track for each team, going by what we've seen of Arcade & "Type B" music in the game.

The amount of rebalancing going on here is also pretty weighty for a "port" or the same game, from arcade to console. Most would have given us the Arcade game straight, and these balance changes would have been a later patch / a 2nd purchase as some kinda mini-sequel.

Even if "Tekken might have this!" or "BB might have that!", it's still pretty rare to see it all pulled together in one product. If some of these things are seen as valuable enough for companies to use as a bulletpoint to buy an upgrade, or piecemeal seperately as DLC, I think it's valuable enough to note as included features with this release, y'know?

And that wonderful soundtrack, which might just be better than some games LE products... oh, and did we mention it's free with pre-order, and the game itself is only $50?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Im already working on the OT. Your requests are welcomed.
No troll thread title though.

really glad Kane Chin user lost. Chin is too much :p

SAB CA said:
"A training/trial mode that actually demonstrates the moves" is also a nice bonus feature, that too many fighters this gen have lacked.

Does anyone know if there is a built-in macro mode in the training section like for 2k2UM? That would help test frame data and setup testing too.

SAB CA said:
The amount of rebalancing going on here is also pretty weighty for a "port" or the same game, from arcade to console. Most would have given us the Arcade game straight, and these balance changes would have been a later patch / a 2nd purchase as some kinda mini-sequel.

I really like the consideration of rebalancing, for a moment I was scared it would end up like the arcade where all you see was Kula K and Raiden most of the time. Whilst they will still be popular I think alot of other characters are getting a look-in.

I really think Chin is overpowered at the moment. Against a high level Chin everything is guesswork and risky. If you stay away he can drink. . . if you're too close one EX roll punch or EX counter can ruin your day since long combos can be started off them.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CadetMahoney said:
really glad Kane Chin user lost. Chin is too much :p

Double :(, also for when you said it yesterday, lol.

Does anyone know if there is a built-in macro mode in the training section like for 2k2UM? That would help test frame data and setup testing too.

Not sure. It's been in other SNKP games too though, so it might just show up.

I really like the consideration of rebalancing, for a moment I was scared it would end up like the arcade where all you see was Kula K and Raiden most of the time. Whilst they will still be popular I think alot of other characters are getting a look-in.

They really are doing a solid job. Especially given their resources. I think they have a great knowledge of previous SNK character knowledge too, with some of their changes.

I really think Chin is overpowered at the moment. Against a high level Chin everything is guesswork and risky. If you stay away he can drink. . . if you're too close one EX roll punch or EX counter can ruin your day since long combos can be started off them.

His EX counter is getting weaker damage + A shorter active window on console, first off. He also has the worse neomax in the game, as far as lacking damage, scaling followup damage now, and just... not being that scarey. With the adjustment to Neomax viability, he'll possibly benefit least from this. Plus, the people you attack / who block get more meter on console, so Chin's guesswork is going to give him opponent more offensive strength aganist him now (yeah, this'll work aganist everyone, lol)

He's also throwable + punchable out of his overhead, and his drinks drop his defense too, making each of his risk magnified. His roll approach is very obvious after a while (and can be eaten by crouching weak attacks), and his hops aren't the best. He use to have a 2 hit hopping C to help him get back to the ground after a hop attack, but that's also gone now...

Plus crappy normals reach, and he doesn't benefit off HD as easily, since he doesn't have easy ways to land normals. (Drive Cancels kinda balance this, of course.)

Lets add on the fact that ground-crawling fireballs also totally ruin his roll punch to that list :(

Chin gets much less threatening after people get used to him. This is why Kane has a problem placing among his peers, of whenever he's fighting people who know him; Chin lacks in the things that make a character really OP, he just works great with meter (which almost everyone does anyway...). Basically, he's a very strong mid-level character, that loses more steam as the players get more knowledgeable.

Oh, and lastly, Chin's not doing anything greater in XIII than he has in the past anywho, lol. It's never made him OP in the past, it's not going to now...

Easy "OP" Check: Does every other JP team play the character? No? Then they're not OP! ;)

Yes, I'm a big Chin user, so I'm partially jaded. But not by much!

henhowc said:
Waiting for them to announce EX Ralf as DLC. Miss having AB. :p

Argentine BackBreaker? Then play Clark too! ;)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
InfiniDragon said:
Has there been any footage of alternate Kyo yet? I really want to see some rekkas in HD. XD

Nope, he and Mr. Karate are not actually announced yet. The only reason we know who they are, is because of a leak from "THE FRENCH!". So... no idea how far they are from being announced. :(

Tizoc

Fersis said:
Im already working on the OT. Your requests are welcomed.
No troll thread title though.
Please don't make the thread title 'KoF of Forever!' that's too fanboyish.

SAB CA said:
"A training/trial mode that actually demonstrates the moves" is also a nice bonus feature, that too many fighters this gen have lacked. What's actually had it? BB maybe? I think VF and Tekken only displayed moved in a demo, but no combos, and Tekken oddly didn't demonstrate all moves, which I never understood the reasons for...
Actually in Tekken 6, you can highlight a move in training mode and the game will show you how it is done and what it does/looks like it.
BB: CS' trial mode also could show you what you must do in each trial.
So yes at leats 2 games have this feature.

Anyway, then we could get into things like the additional color palettes included with some characters straight off the bat,
Don't see what's so special about this, most players would either stick to a few colors they like or pick whatever at random.

the quality gallery mode (which some things like SSFIVAE are actually lacking, for... some reason),
Be more specific here, what will the gallery have in it? I think in BB: CS, the gallery had art, video cutscenes and I believe you can listen to the game's music.

A story mode that might just rival BB's (MK's is something else entirely, and SF doesn't have any such thing this generation),
I'll believe this when I see it, but I'm the type that doesn't give a shit about stories in fighting games 95% of the time. Only reason I'm doing BB: CS' is for trophies and cuz I feel like it.
I don't think it'd be better than CS' though.

more unique (and interesting!) stages than probably any other fighter this generation (expecially if we're gonna be like SSFIV, and count variations of the same stages),
Define unique and interesting, cuz I don't think using older stages and redisgning them in HD counts as unique =P
Don't get me wrong, KoF XIII has beautiful stages, but for the most part they just are filled with dozens if not hundreds of background people for no apparent reason other than to show off the animation and colors lol. Not that that's a ad thing, but sometimes simple stages (like the Day Helicarrier stage from UMvC3) are fine.

and the amount of music tracks in game by default, with at least 1 for each team, and then at least 1 alt track for each team, going by what we've seen of Arcade & "Type B" music in the game.
So that's what at least 20-25 tracks? SSF4 and (U)MvC3 have over 30 dude =P.
How much music in a game doesn't really matter since the players will either pick their fav. themes when playing or select random.

BB: CS2 update is free mate, if anything the console ver. could be a testing ground for their future update.

Even if "Tekken might have this!" or "BB might have that!", it's still pretty rare to see it all pulled together in one product.
In this day and age it sin't so much as 'rare', but is in fact the recommended approach to a fighting game console release. If anything, SNK is just going smart by seeing what other games have done and replicating their features into their product.
Which isn't a bad thing. Ah the hours I spent on SFEX2's trial mode over the years...<3

If some of these things are seen as valuable enough for companies to use as a bulletpoint to buy an upgrade, or piecemeal seperately as DLC, I think it's valuable enough to note as included features with this release, y'know?
IDK, it just seems like a proper port of KoF XIII, and that's really all that matters, the other stuff are good bonuses and additions.

oh, and did we mention it's free with pre-order, and the game itself is only $50?
See now THAT'S a good selling point~

Top Bottom