• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

SAB CA said:
"Leave the Streets, Fight on the World Stage!"
"13 is our lucky number!"

Should be able to find something in there you like... :)

I'd easily vote for these, partial to the "Leave the Streets" line especially.

lupinko

Fersis said:
RSG,gunsmith,Yamamoto and the Atlus PR (Aram?) already explained that the dev build theyve shown is not representative of the final release. They said that the game wont have those long load times and that you can install the game to get even shorter load times.
So yeah the Eksbawks version will load faster than the superior PS3 version.

EDIT: I consider myself a fanboy yes. Not a PS3 fanboy but a KOF fanboy.
EDIT 2: If an Atlus or RSG representative wants to clarify this issue please be my guest. PS3 4 LYFE YO.

So we won't see loading screens inbetween rounds? I mean, it's pretty sad when the Taito Type X2 Hardware configuration used by KOFXIII is lesser compared to the PS3 or 360, yet that board is not plagued with ridiculous load times.

PJX

Fersis said:
RSG,gunsmith,Yamamoto and the Atlus PR (Aram?) already explained that the dev build theyve shown is not representative of the final release. They said that the game wont have those long load times and that you can install the game to get even shorter load times.
So yeah the Eksbawks version will load faster than the superior PS3 version.

EDIT: I consider myself a fanboy yes. Not a PS3 fanboy but a KOF fanboy.
EDIT 2: If an Atlus or RSG representative wants to clarify this issue please be my guest. PS3 4 LYFE YO.

Ok dude, whatever makes you sleep better at night if that is what you want to believe. Other topics you come in port begging says otherwise.

If you're trying to be funny, please never go into comedy.

Tizoc

Fersis said:
I dont like joke thread titles and troll titles pretty much guarentees thread derail.

The King Of Fighters XIII |OT| The end of the Ash Saga

COME AT ME BROS!! >8(
Nah nobody would care.
Think something like 'Let's fight, like gentlemen!', something that'll sound HYPE, that'll get the reader motivated or such.

I think I'll go with HAS MAI! GO BUY!

SAB CA said:
Mega ReplyReply to Mega Reply! (O.O)

Yeah, but in Tekken, I remember well, there were certain moves they DIDN'T record a demo for, I never understood why. It wasn't for a trial mode either, if I remember right (or maybe it was... it's Tekken, I didn't pay THAT much attention to it), it was in going through the moves list...
lol, OK then, but really my guess as to why they didn't add a trial mode is because it would've taken a lot of time to think them up?
Eh I feel that for games like Tekken and VF, a trial mode would've been too much.

That Skullgirls color blog from last night did a great job summarizing why this is more significant than you make it sound here. He did all the work for me on this, so I don't have to ;)
I did in fact read that, Donald Duck Peacock is GENIUS, but I still find that the average comeptitive player would stick to just a few colors =/
I mean I for one don't know which Hwa Jai color to stick to so I just pick at Random XD. ...and Windows K' will always be my pick =V

So far we know it has visual, sound, and "invitation" sections. Dunno want invitations means. Like I said in my final statement 1 game or another might meet this standard, but the point is very few meet it while meeting the others, as well.
Hmm I believe MvC3 had a comprehensive gallery allowing you to even listen to some of the lines they say in the game.
If anything I'd say at least 50% of fighters from SF4's release til now had a gallery mode with lots of stuff in it.

I think it'll mean a lot more to people who follow KoF. BB isn't a known series. It's just tossing a bunch of new info, with a bunch of spazzy crazyness as well, at you. While it's rather nice, it doesn't have any pre-set characters of anything it's working with (until CS anywho), so it has a different lure than a KoF related one. Like I said, KoF's is one of the first that will be extensive, and based on a franchise with history.
Thing is: What exactly will this new info change about the characters? What can you change about Ralf's characterization and personality that'll stick in future games?
...but like I said I'll see it before I can believe it =/

It does count... but no, I used the term "unique" to mean "stages that are not redesigns of other stages", such as how SFIV counts the different times of day in the jungle, or different form of the bay, or different times of day at the alley, or diffrent states of the temple, as seperate stages.
Hmm OK, but this was a common element of KoF stages back in the day, though of course in that case they were all attributed to said one stage.

I cannot agree at all with the "BG people for no apparent reason" part. Didn't you yourself bring up the limited animation for the sharkman in SG's BG? You KNOW having complex BG's with quality animation is rare now-a-days. Crows of people are even MORE rare.
Heh which is why I said they're just there to show off the animation, and while I do get a chuckle out of some of them (Sumo wrestlers in Japan stage for example), it just feels...like going overboard.
....but I digress my fav. stage from KoF 97 is the one where you're on stage in a dance club with hundreds of people in the background lol.
Maybe it's all these stages with few people in them that've gotten to me.

Yeah, sometimes simple stages are fine, but between the arcade and console exclusive stages, KoF XIII has stages of all types. Simple as old Southtown, as complex as Egypt. And remember, each of these stages has "transformations" in between rounds (some bigger than others), so many other games would probably claim to have 2 or 3 times more stages, if they locked each of these transformations as seperate stages... (-_-)
True dat, but in the case of the latter it's most likely because they prefer that certain variation of that stage.

But it does matter. Just as "the king of soundtracks" pre-order proves, there are loads of us who are in love with KoF soundtracks. They set a very high standard.
I don't see what this proves, I mean it's not like you can play the music in those 4 discs in the game...OR CAN YOU?

The over-arching point, however, was that this game offers us an OST and also classic music, together. Most games have either never offered us classic tracks, or make such a thing a premium download. Original SFIV had remixed classic (some of questionable quality), but they were not even accessable until the re-release for VS play...
I don't know how the music in KoF XIII works, but in all the non-3D fighting games I've played, they eventually let you either have STage theme music or character theme music.
Granted it's remixed, but aren't the themes in XIII remixes of their traditional themes? Or can you also play an original version of said theme?

This however doesn't change my point; most players will either pick their fav. themes or a random theme, you can have 40 tracks for all I care but in the end, it's no big deal.

It's really not "free", the update was just split in cost over the 3 DLC characters, + bonus DLC. It was a nice overall gesture, and I do like how they worked it out, but just being real for a moment.
Eh i find gameplay changes= Update. The additional characters don't mean much IMO since it'll come down to who you want to play with: If it's one of the DLC characters, then get them.

And besides, this is exactly why I said other companies would have included such changes as a later patch or update. CS2 wasn't the default, on-disk update. And the change from CT to CS was an additioanl 40 buck purchase.
Yeah. but the gameplay changes were pretty big making CT and CS(2/E) turn out to be 2 different games.
KoF XIII is making as much change from default arcade, to home console port, as BB made from ArcadeCT->Home Console->CS Arcade-> CS Home console->CS2 "free" update. So you paid, what, 60 dollars initial BB, 40 bucks CS, 21 dollars in DLC characters on the way to CS2? With KoF XIII, you've paid for... KoF XIII.
Uh no, KoF XIII's is just a normal balance update; it's like what Capcom are doing with the AE 2012 update, it's just balancing the characters.
Go play CT then go and play CS2, both games play DRASTICALLY different due to the core gameplay changes.
To give you an example: CT Tager can kill you in 2 combos, CS2 Tager kills you in 3-4 combos. This is just a simple example though.
KoF XIII Console is like what happened with SSF4->AE; in SSF4 Makoto was weak, but in AE they changed attributes of her moves to make her better.
I've read some of the XIII changes and so far the only major change is NEOMAXes costing 2 stocks when in HD mode...which while a good and notice-able change isn't a lot compared to what those other fighters did.
If anything, it's like you said, you're getting the game but without having to DL a 400+ MB update in the near future.

Some of us can say you paid for XII too, btu that's neither here nor there. And even if it is, the default amount of new teams and stages, not to mention new gameplay systems, moves, and overall sounds and effects, is bigger from XII default to XIII default arcade, than CT to CSII. Just counting gameplay stuff here, not even talking about story modes or stuff like that.
I actually own XII, but it's more of XIII going back to traditional KoF style gameplay, so in a way yeah they count as 2 different games.
IMHO, they should look into XII's sytem again and use it for a future game, with of course some fixes here and there. Nothing wrong with having CC mode work like SF Alpha 2's in terms of activation.

I still stand by the fact (especially after this re-stating) that these things don't make it into 1 package often. Even if SNKP "just looked at the others, and copied!", that doesn't diminish the fact that they made it all, and put it into 1 game, before updates, before DLC, before a 2nd console release a year later.
err most of those stuff are there in the ORIGINAL disc release of some games (namely SF4 and MvC3), the only thing that stands out is the Color Edit mode.

It seems like more than "just" a proper port, though. Most 1st-editions ports or iterations of a number DON'T have this many balance changes,
True but IIRC, SF4's arcade and console release were close weren't they? ...and over the years I've come to the understanding that most competitive players would want the console release to be as close to the arcade as possible; KoF XIII is doing it in reverse by doing console first then applying to arcade.
I'm greatful for getting this update initially but would've been fine if I got the original arcade version to begin with.

don't have color edit (a first in a new 2D fighter this generation, remember!),
Agreed~ ...but IF you can share ur customizations online, I'll be stealing your shit, kiddies~

don't have a seperate story mode.
Huh?

this game is going above and beyond a first-iteration home port. It has features that others didn't add until their AEs, CSs, FEs, Ultimates, or later console updates, "free" or paid for.
Nah still don't see this, only things it has going for it aside from other 2D fighters is a color edit mode and that it's 50 dollars on launch.

Even after paying for the character DLC, it'll still be cheaper than (SFIV -> SSFIV -> SSFIVAE), or (BBCT -> BBCS + 3 characters + "free" update), or (MvC3 -> UMvC3), while offering comparable content to each of those games "Final forms", right off the bat.
True, but SNK's a poor company and they already ripped people off with XII =V

Oh yeah, and it might equal or exceed MK9, too. MK might have a robust story, but it also along has 4 colors per character, off the bat too, and no edit options. The "free" DLC it offered with it's updates is very nice, but that's still another "buffing through iterations of a game" thing, before it's mentioned!
Yeah I don't like MK's limited colors lol, but the way they update their games is a heck of a lot better than what Capcom did back in the early 90s with SF2, but I don't think you'd get it =V
Or in this case with how SNK kept charging those poor Arcade owners with every new iteration of KoF 98 being updated ver. of 97+Extra characters 97 being updated ver. of 96+extra characters

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
^ I can't reply to all that this early in the morning, lol. But, Blog update!

Blog about... Trial Mode? or something...

Color01.jpg

Heh Heh Heh. Yeah. There will be Dragonball Battles!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hey, Rising Star Games seems to be giving Europe a nice pre-order bonus now!

RSG Pre-Order Press Release

The pre-order package will include a limited edition 4-CD soundtrack from the history of The KING OF FIGHTERS. This pre-order incentive is in addition to the contents of the retail box, which includes: game disc, double sided A3 poster (artwork on one side, move list on the reverse), digital art disc, reversible sleeves (design specific to format).

Ooo.

alstein

The thing I'm glad about is they put optimized netcode in the game's release. What the hell is optimized broadband and priority seeding though?

They may still fail at it, but I'm convinced that they gave it a real effort now. I do think sometimes we expect miracles- people complain about 3S GGPO not letting them play east coat US- Australia.

I wish we got that pre-order bonus in the US. I would have CE'd this game.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think im going to pick SAB CA suggestion: "13 is our lucky number!"

Translation courtesy of MMCAfe Toxico:
Good day everyone!

[ Talks about weather, odd of rain, typhoon and other stuff, thus I'm skipping this ]

Without further adieu to they we view the "tutorial mode". With us we have the always familiar "山P". Today YamaP's talk will be aimed to those who are a little green when it comes to it, so let's proceed immediately to the tutorial mode.

[ Tutorial menu image ]

Yamamoto P : This mode is there so that one can get familiar with the game and with the basic mechanics of KoF, either for those who play KoF for the first time or those who play fighting games for the first time.

[ Kyo Jumping at Raiden ]

"Moving forward", "Types of jumps", "Roll recovery" and basic descriptions as such are included in the BASE SYSTEM.

[ Kyo kicking Raiden ]

"Special moves", "Drive Cancel" and several other system that make use of the gauges which are divided in two modes explained on the GAUGE SYSTEM. The BASE SYSTEM will introduce a "sense of game" by making use of jumps and basic movements maneuvers while the GAUGE SYSTEM will present DRIVE CANCEL and other major forces for players.

[ Rose explaining Tutorial Mode ]

The responsibility of teaching everything about the tutorial falls into Rose-san. Incidentally the stage for this mode will always be the Kyokugen dojo, the player character Kyo and the enemy Raiden have also been "fixed".

Kyo is somewhat understandable, but why is Raiden there?

Yamamoto P : Having a prowrestler there, it's there for the aesthetic sense!

Somehow or another some sense can be made out of it...
Either way, on this tutorial mode, are features there included for other than beginner players?

Yamamoto P : This mode is essentially a practice that is there to create a solid foundation of the actual combat for the beginner to use. "Such a basic thing I already now it!", even those who are already experienced in the basis might come into contact with something that they don't know.

I see, with my playing level I guess that it wouldn't hurt to touch the tutorial mode once I get the game.

With this the basic coverage of tutorial mode is finished; which was covered after a great effort. Next we have [Character customize], look at how "some little stories" can be made with it.

[ DaiMaou Andy ]

......... Makan *** Sappou!!

Yamamoto P : ....... ( heh! )

Leaving Yamamoto here with the evidence of the crime, it's time for me to part ways with everybody.
Oh, also as someone might have noticed in the "Mission" review, some of the customs have been taken from popular characters, could you notice it?

See you next time.

Grokbu

Thanks for posting that Fersis.

The RSG preorder stuff seems really nice! A bit afraid about the release date though. I hope it'll be early November.

About the netcode. What I want is simply being able to have good matches with people that I usually have good connection to, which wasn't possible in XII. I don't think I've ever played a fighter with someone from USA (I'm from Sweden) and had a good match, outside of maybe once (I was chocked).

I would like to have an official word on if there's gonna be lobbies for 3 or more people though. No one's stated anything official about that, right?

Zafir

Hoping that pre-order bonus is for all retailers and not just a GAME exclusive like the Harvest Moon stuff, should be since it doesn't mention any exclusivity any where.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Grokbu said:
Thanks for posting that Fersis.

The RSG preorder stuff seems really nice! A bit afraid about the release date though. I hope it'll be early November.

About the netcode. What I want is simply being able to have good matches with people that I usually have good connection to, which wasn't possible in XII. I don't think I've ever played a fighter with someone from USA (I'm from Sweden) and had a good match, outside of maybe once (I was chocked).

I would like to have an official word on if there's gonna be lobbies for 3 or more people though. No one's stated anything official about that, right?
Maybe we'll learn about the online in a future blog post.

Grokbu

Zafir said:
Hoping that pre-order bonus is for all retailers and not just a GAME exclusive like the Harvest Moon stuff, should be since it doesn't mention any exclusivity any where.
Yeah, me too. I sent an e-mail to a swedish store (webhallen.com) and asked if they're gonna get it.

Fersis said:
Maybe we'll learn about the online in a future blog post.
Yeah, that may be true. Just thought it felt weird that noone's mentioned it.

Perhaps 3+ lobbies are to be expected so they didn't mention it?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
CadetMahoney said:
What happens if this is delayed till November and there are no spectator modes?

How mad will you be?

You shouldn't be mad at all.
Modes don't just magically appear out of thin air.

And the game is still apparently maintaining it's original release dates in the US and Japan.

It's the same game, just with some region-specific printing or authouring issues changing it's date. It's not going to magically be some unique product, once popped into your systems.

1 product. 3 publishers.

PS3 Jap version is still region free and still released on date I assume. . . Sony hasn't backtracked on the region free thing they have right.

Tizoc

GekigangerV said:
I believe it was Nona.
Yes it is Nona.
Nona also did the official art for KoF 2002 and SvC: Chaos.
I do believe the sprites in XIII are based somewhat on his art?

Grokbu

So I sent a mail to the Swedish retailer Webhallen yesterday, asking if they're gonna stock the preorder bonus. Got this reply (roughly translated):
Hello,

for the time being, it doesn't look like any Swedish provider (sorry. Not sure if that's the right word. Supplier maybe?) is going to stock the game, but we're looking around at our international providers too. Sadly, we can't give a yes/no answer right now, it's gonna be a bit more wait and see.
Well if this is true, that's going to suck. :(

The chance of the game being popular in Sweden would decrease, and I'm gonna have to wait extra long if I have to import it. :<

Xater

Grokbu said:
So I sent a mail to the Swedish retailer Webhallen yesterday, asking if they're gonna stock the preorder bonus. Got this reply (roughly translated):

The chance of the game being popular in Sweden would decrease, and I'm gonna have to wait extra long if I have to import it. :<

Ugh, I fear Rising Star will probably make this a UK only thing. Thanks for nothing...

So getting it from the US might be the better deal. Cheaper, earlier and I get my Atlus spoils.

Grokbu said:

On a UK trading form I sent a game to Norway at almost the same cost of a normal UK delivery. I think alot of ppl in those countries import from the UK to avoid the high taxed products I guess with the help of UK to Norway decent shipping rates.

Grokbu

Xater said:
Ugh, I fear Rising Star will probably make this a UK only thing. Thanks for nothing...

So getting it from the US might be the better deal. Cheaper, earlier and I get my Atlus spoils.
Yeah, I'm afraid that that might be the case.

CadetMahoney said:
On a UK trading form I sent a game to Norway at almost the same cost of a normal UK delivery. I think alot of ppl in those countries import from the UK to avoid the high taxed products I guess with the help of UK to Norway decent shipping rates.
Ah, I see, that's pretty nice.
I usually import from UK, but I want this game as close to release date as possible, so I preordered from Sweden. Games are often alot cheaper in UK compared to Sweden, and I imagine that that's especially true for Norway. They aren't members of the European Union either, so they might have their UK orders get stuck in customs (well, as far as I understand).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
FreeMufasa said:
This will be a day 1 for me. Looks absoloutely terrific.

I was just wondering, what's the general thought on KoF XI?

General thoughts on XI: Best use of a "striker" like system, very interesting game in and of itself, a very strong upper-tier of characters, fun to play, but not extremly well remembered. It has a great cast of characters though, especially with the PS2-exclusive guest characters.

It's worth playing overall, but it's not the best KoF if you're trying to practice for XIII, and have other options available. 2K2UM and 98UM are best for that, in that order.

Fersis

robut said:
GUYS: Gamestop now says the release date is Nov 23 :(
A week later than UMvC3? =/

EDIT: Just checked Gamestop website it says: October 25th

Fersis said:
A week later than UMvC3? =/

EDIT: Just checked Gamestop website it says: October 25th

I work at Gamestop. I've a shitty old phone so I couldn't take a pic. Was bummed out all day, hope it's not true but I see no reason for it not to be either.

Fersis

robut said:
I work at Gamestop. I've a shitty old phone so I couldn't take a pic. Was bummed out all day, hope it's not true but I see no reason for it not to be either.
Use your Gamestop powers and find the truth behind this!!!
Releasing in November along UMvC3 is a very bad idea :(

Seem like Atlus is sending KOFXIII out to die .
The current date was awesome coming out in nov is crazy .
Coming out after UC3 and UMVC3 is a bad idea .

DR2K

Banned
So no spectator mode and releasing around UMVC3. Well, looks like I'll just wait until next year or so when I might have time for it.

Frankfurt

Banned
Fersis said:
A week later than UMvC3?

Nobody in SRK is going to get this now.

90% of the people interested were in the crowd that figured it was 50 bucks and a way to pass the time until UMVC3. In fact, those feelings were in every single KOFXIII post on SRK since the announcement. Just read the comments.

XIII will sell what XII did, plus some extra copies to Atlus faithfuls.

*Golf clap*

Top Bottom