• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII - Console version detailed

GrayFoxPL

SAB CA said:
But a lot of it seems to be legacy motions (Power Geysers traditional motion in FF was qcb, db, f + P), or motions made to prevent overlap for HD combos.

Yeah, I always do the "proper" power geyser motion. I fell in love in it many years ago and never did it another way. Wish all supers were made like this, lol.

SolarKnight said:
A little too much at times if you ask me. No game, I wanted f+a->qcf+a, not dp!
Let go of the f button when pressing a the first time, when you hold a button in KOF, the game will repeat the input for a few frames.

Mista Koo

7ZK1V.gif

That's all I need, he'd be my Dan alright :3

Tizoc said:
I find that Ryo's QCF+P is less of a fireball and more of a Pimp Tiger Punch.
Yep, that's it for Dan too (I only managed to beat 1 guy with it, twice/thrice in a row).

Mista Koo said:
7ZK1V.gif

That's all I need, he'd be my Dan alright :3

Yep, that's it for Dan too (I only managed to beat 1 guy with it, twice/thrice in a row).
That move is really bad on block, it's only really used for combos. Also, I don't think that move is in XIII.

Terareflection said:
Let go of the f button when pressing a the first time, when you hold a button in KOF, the game will repeat the input for a few frames.
This is the only KoF that gives me that problem though.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
GrayFoxPL said:
Yeah, I always do the "proper" power geyser motion. I fell in love in it many years ago and never did it another way. Wish all supers were made like this, lol.

Haha, much the same, also with Kim. It's THE SNK Super motion, so it'll always hold a special place with me, as well.

I still have to make sure I don't use the "Proper" motions, when doing Dan's Ripoff ultras in SSFIV... Matter of fact, if they stealth-adjusted those to be alt motions for his ultras, I'd consider it a BUFF, just on principal.

Terareflection said:
That move is really bad on block, it's only really used for combos. Also, I don't think that move is in XIII.

HhhHWaaaaH? YES, HIEN SHIPPUKYAKU IS IN KOF XIII! ^_^

It is pretty bad on block, but it's his best "take to the corner!" move, and is great for continuing juggles. The complete opposite of what Dan's has become, but that's not bad at all.

GrayFoxPL

Terareflection said:

It's there.

SAB CA said:
Haha, much the same, also with Kim. It's THE SNK Super motion, so it'll always hold a special place with me, as well.

I still have to make sure I don't use the "Proper" motions, when doing Dan's Ripoff ultras in SSFIV... Matter of fact, if they stealth-adjusted those to be alt motions for his ultras, I'd consider it a BUFF, just on principal.

Haha. Fully agree!

Mista Koo

Terareflection said:
Well I play Dan, that should tell you that I wouldn't care :p

As a matter of fact I found out about a lot of the basic mechanics of SFIV after I stopped playing it lol.

GrayFoxPL

Mista Koo said:
Well I play Dan, that should tell you that I wouldn't care :p

As a matter of fact I found out about a lot of the basic mechanics of SFIV after I stopped playing it lol.

Too young to care.

Tizoc

OK, SNK had better show Mr. Karate soon,
apparently there's a mode in UMvC3 where you can play as Galactus. Granted it's no big deal to some but Galactus' one of my fav. Marvel characters and this announcement made almost spit my drink XD.
Come on SNK, show me Mr. Karate, and he better not be a copy pasta of Khushnood Butt D=<

GrayFoxPL

Tizoc said:
OK, SNK had better show Mr. Karate soon,
apparently there's a mode in UMvC3 where you can play as Galactus. Granted it's no big deal to some but Galactus' one of my fav. Marvel characters and this announcement made almost spit my drink XD.
Come on SNK, show me Mr. Karate, and he better not be a copy pasta of Khushnood Butt D=<

If Mr Karate is based of Ryo's silhouette I will ranbu myself from joy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If Mr. Karate earned Kushnood's Charge Punche & Kicks, I'd actively seek out Raiden players, and crush them, just to let them know how annoying charge moves are!

----

Somehow, I never thought of it before, but I'm totally making a Leona custom Color based off Annet from El Viento & Anet Futatabi, lol.

viento-title.gif
annet.gif

If they give us MOTW Terry as an Alt Costume, I wouldn't even HAVE to edit him, to make him resemble Earnest Evans!

_-Earnest-Evans-Sega-MegaCD-_.jpg

Then I'd make Make Athena into Yoko from the Valis series of games:

_-Valis-Sega-Megadrive-_.jpg

It'll be the most odd Nostalgic Genesis Games team you'll ever see in a KoF (Unless someone did something like... make the cast of Arcus Odyssey. I wouldn't even recognize them, lol.)

alstein

corkscrewblow said:
this is good, I can't even dp half the time in KoF96

96's controls are very tight, they didn't get control right until 98. 97 has issues with half-circles from what I remember instead of quarter-circles.

GrayFoxPL

alstein said:
96's controls are very tight, they didn't get control right until 98. 97 has issues with half-circles from what I remember instead of quarter-circles.

Kof95 had way better controls then 96. 96 is a black sheep of the series in this aspect.

alstein said:
I've found KOF games to be easier to combo stuff in then other fighters.

SF4 timing flat out made me not want to play the game, but basic KOF combos I've never had problems with, and they aren't superlong strings of air normals, which is what I can't stand about games like BB/AH/GG (it gets annoying and long, KOF combos tend to be short and brutal, which I like)

Basics combos used take off allot of life back in the day , now you need much better combos to win .
It's been that way for a while in KOF after 98.

N4Us

SAB CA said:
If they give us MOTW Terry as an Alt Costume, I wouldn't even HAVE to edit him, to make him resemble Earnest Evans!

_-Earnest-Evans-Sega-MegaCD-_.jpg

If Terry has an Earnest alt, will he spazz out like he's in QWOP and fall asleep at random times?

RANBAT STREAM tomorrow. Watch my Leona get bodied. ^_______^

ohhhhhhh

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
N4Us said:
If Terry has an Earnest alt, will he spazz out like he's in QWOP and fall asleep at random times?

You know it! Movements Renamed:
Burn Knuckle = Fail Knuckle
Crack Shoot = Crack Whip
Rising Tackle = Falling Indy
Power Geyser = Whatever the sound effects for Wolfteam games was named (The "wet fart"?)
Buster Wolf = Busted Wolfteam :(

Man, I wanted to play EE for years, after really loving El Viento. When I finally manage to get my hands on a copy... (TT_TT)

Man, I'mma make so many tributes to old games with color edit, lol. Maybe an all purple Terry with a dark Purple star on his back, to be Starman from Pro Wrestling? XD

9813-starman_large.gif

This is a bit goofier than I'd normally make... but it's STARMAN!

gundamkyoukai said:
Basics combos used take off allot of life back in the day , now you need much better combos to win .

Remember when Kyo could do about 90% during Max mode with just j.d+C,c.C,qcf+D.D,rdp+D back in 95? Yeah, thank god it's not like that anymore, 98 got it right, and personally I prefer it that way to the Max/HD combos we have now, but I could just be saying that because I fail horribly at any of them that aren't Kyo's (qcf+Cxxqcf+A)x n in 2k2 >__>

SolarKnight said:
Remember when Kyo could do about 90% during Max mode with just j.d+C,c.C,qcf+D.D,rdp+D back in 95? Yeah, thank god it's not like that anymore, 98 got it right, and personally I prefer it that way to the Max/HD combos we have now, but I could just be saying that because I fail horribly at any of them that aren't Kyo's (qcf+Cxxqcf+A)x n in 2k2 >__>
I prefer the 98 style too, this system with the 02UM cast would be the perfect game.

N4Us

Reminder that ranbats are streaming again today at 1 PM PST. Although considering the SB finals today it's pretty hard getting attention for it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
SB? They ain't got KoF XIII, so they don't matter. *ahem*

Anyway, another video from the Paris Manga Event. Frionel's Duo Lon is SO GOOD. Since he and the eLive ladies and gents were the first to really discover Duo's changes, they're the first we've seen really use them in REAL play.

PRO - Finale Winner - eLivepro|Frionel VS holy

The Ending of that video.... EPIC.

It's great when KoF is played with that kind of ferocity! As if the game is running at a whole new speed.

Grokbu

BadWolf said:
Gotta say, SNK really nailed the special and sound effects for this game, the ones for the exdm and neomax in particular sound very good (neomax's kinda takes your breathe away).
Yes, this! Not many people mention this, but their sound effects are so great, they're so clean. The hit sound effects really make the hits "feel" too. The sound design really helps adding a great feel to KOF games.

Another one I really like is the HD activation sound.

Mmm.

I really like the graphics effects too. Everything's really clean.

Anyone around the London area might want to check out this
KOF XIII tournament at MCM Expo. Oct. 29

Following the announcement that SoulCalibur V, Saints Row: The Third, and Ridge Racer Unbounded will be playable at the MCM Expo this month, GameSpot UK is thrilled to reveal that Trials: Evolution and King of Fighters XIII will also be playable at our booths!

Developer Redlynx will be showing off the sequel to its hugely successful Trials HD on the stand. It adds four-player multiplayer, new track designs, and new environments to the incredibly addictive gameplay of its predecessor. We'll be hosting a time-trial tournament through Friday and Saturday, inviting the top scorers onto our stage to compete in front of the MCM crowd for the chance to win some fantastic prizes on Sunday.

We will also be hosting the finals of the King of Fighters XIII tournament on our stage over the weekend, giving fans the chance to see some of the top KOF tournament players kick some ass! The game isn't scheduled for release until November 25 on the PS3 and Xbox 360, so MCM is a chance to see the game in action a month before then!

For more information about the MCM Expo, check out our previous announcements on the MCM hub.

Picking up what SAB was saying earlier. I'm am STOKED for Color Edit. Even though it was standard in most of the recent SNK console ports, I don't think I've really played around with Color Edit so much since CVS2, but then there were GUIDES and even WEBSITES dedicated to Color Edits for that game. Considering how robust it is, I hope to see as much of a creative following.

SAB CA said:
Somehow, I never thought of it before, but I'm totally making a Leona custom Color based off Annet from El Viento & Anet Futatabi, lol.

Then I'd make Make Athena into Yoko from the Valis series of games:

It'll be the most odd Nostalgic Genesis Games team you'll ever see in a KoF (Unless someone did something like... make the cast of Arcus Odyssey. I wouldn't even recognize them, lol.)
you always lead me into a wikipedia vortex looking this stuff up.. LOL. My sunday night will be lost to the hardcore game archive.

I got to play a recent build (as in, gameplay-wise it's the final version, but it needed to be ironed out some (random crashes come to mind)) of the console version yesterday at an event in Paris. Anyway, there's really no need to worry about loading times, once the game is installed they're pretty much about the same as the arcade version and even slightly faster most of the time.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Grokbu said:
Huh, that online match was weird... and outta nowhere. It annoys me that they didn't mention anything at all about it. No mention of lag or anything. <:(

Thanks for posting it though.

EDIT: Yay! Finally a full grown member!

Regarding the videos recently posted on IGN:

The videos showing offline matches against AI opponents were taken on the second-to-easiest AI setting, which explains why the AI simply stands there.

The primary purpose of my visit to their offices, which was to give them a hands-on of the netcode, is represented in the video of a full, start-to-finish online match. That match was conducted between myself, located in San Francisco, CA, and a member of our production staff down in Irvine, CA (Bay area CA versus Southern CA).

Unfortunately, the nature of the video and the lack of the write-up fail to offer any additional context. I'll ask you all to be a bit patient, as there's plenty more coverage of the game, including the netcode, hitting soon, including an On the Spot stage demo, filmed live at GameSpot HQ, which also features a full online match.

Thank you for all of your passion; this community really is second to none!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
AtlusAram said:

*Cool Stuff*

Hey, thanks for giving us some info on it all, Aram :) That's all very good news to hear. I assume you'll be posting the same info on Dreamcancel, so I won't bother reposting it, lol.

Looking forward to it all! If you can, it'd be nice to see the dates of the Stage demo and such posted on the official KoF website, when the time comes, too. It would help hype up the event at places such as SRK and IPW, if we can tell em a date and time, and give a place of reference for the info.

Thanks!

Grokbu

AtlusAram said:

The videos showing offline matches against AI opponents were taken on the second-to-easiest AI setting, which explains why the AI simply stands there.

The primary purpose of my visit to their offices, which was to give them a hands-on of the netcode, is represented in the video of a full, start-to-finish online match. That match was conducted between myself, located in San Francisco, CA, and a member of our production staff down in Irvine, CA (Bay area CA versus Southern CA).

Unfortunately, the nature of the video and the lack of the write-up fail to offer any additional context. I'll ask you all to be a bit patient, as there's plenty more coverage of the game, including the netcode, hitting soon, including an On the Spot stage demo, filmed live at GameSpot HQ, which also features a full online match.

Ahh. Awesome!

Thanks for clarifying this. :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
AtlusAram said:

Thanks for the clarificaction.

And remember: IS TOUGH LOVE!

alstein

That distance was 425 miles, though probably office internet to office internet.

Question for Atlus (if you read this): how hard would it be to do a tougher test? Maybe something like LA to Houston? Maybe use at-home connections instead of office connects?

NichM

Banned
alstein said:
Question for Atlus (if you read this): how hard would it be to do a tougher test? Maybe something like LA to Houston? Maybe use at-home connections instead of office connects?

We regularly did tests with an office in Canada during QA. Just because this is the first publicly visible demonstration doesn't mean we didn't do tests like the ones you're describing for ourselves.

alstein

NichM said:
We regularly did tests with an office in Canada during QA.

Where was this Canada office? Vancouver or somewhere further east?

Sorry to sound so suspicious/skeptical, but I want to believe.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Choppasmith said:
Picking up what SAB was saying earlier. I'm am STOKED for Color Edit. Even though it was standard in most of the recent SNK console ports, I don't think I've really played around with Color Edit so much since CVS2, but then there were GUIDES and even WEBSITES dedicated to Color Edits for that game. Considering how robust it is, I hope to see as much of a creative following.

Same here (duh, right?) :) I really tried to use color edit with NGBC, but considering I couldn't have, say, Mai with blue hair, without her having to have a zombie skintone (Colors from her hair were used to shade her skin), it kinda fell through, lol.

That's totally NOT a problem in this game, so this should be fantastic! I hope we get to see smaller tourneys in the future, that let you bring your edit colors with you (as I doubt larger ones would care?), because it could lead to some great meme-worthy stuff popping up.

akilshohen said:
you always lead me into a wikipedia vortex looking this stuff up.. LOL. My sunday night will be lost to the hardcore game archive.

Haha, glad to help, and to be appreciated some :) It kinda does the same to me, too... ended up watching the runthrough of Earnest Evans Sega CD after trying to find good pics of him... Narcoleptic Indy, fight for justice! Find naked girls in Peru! Get involved with Al Capone! -- I like Wolfteam games, even still, lol. Was kinda cool to find out the animation for the game was by Madhouse in the end, too. It was some quality work, for the time.

Holy Order Sol said:
I got to play a recent build (as in, gameplay-wise it's the final version, but it needed to ironed out some (random crashes come to mind)) of the console version yesterday at an event in Paris. Anyway, there's really no need to worry about loading times, once the game is installed they're pretty much about the same as the arcade version and even slightly faster most of the time.

Thanks for the re-confirmations! I'm sure a lot will improve just by being retail code on retail units, too. SF x TK suddenly has been hit by long loads in recent vids as well, and the Capcom guys could only repeat "It's debug code, this'll be smoothed out in the end!", which is also what we've seen with XIII all along.

Nor Cal to So Cal is a pretty big distance (Keep forgetting Cali alone is the size of at least a third of the east coast) I'm looking forward to more media coverage (Especially the gamespot one) in the coming days/weeks.

Would also like some information on how the DLC characters will be distributed (Flame Iori included like in the JPN preorder?)

Top Bottom