• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The players on the stream have had some interesting moments. Some awesome stuff (Hwa Jai OCV'n a team!), and some silly stuff (watching Kyo aerial Orochi Nagi 2 or 3 meters away in an attempt to stop jumpers, with little success)

The Vice that's on as I type this also sounds pretty awesome XD

017.gif
WANT TO TOUCH!
017.gif

Frankfurt

Banned
haunts said:

:lol

That guy's sister (?), despite having some of his affectations, is pretty cute.

Anyway... i wish we had at least some sillhouettes of console characters by now. I had fully expected them to make an announcement back in November at least, but i guess we won't be seeing the game in February like Ignition's mod had mentioned. I guess after they severed ties, things changed. It's looking more like a May-at-the-earliest deal, now.

I would even take the game with just a new intro and more winposes (Adelheid's dissapearence is still pretty weird, though - he must be hiding with Ron and Misty).

Superblatt said:
So, is this being released in the US on ps3? I still need to pick up 12.
Supposedly it's coming to home consoles, but no release date or North American version has been announced. PS3 is region free anyway.

.la1n

_dementia said:
Supposedly it's coming to home consoles, but no release date or North American version has been announced. PS3 is region free anyway.

They will region lock it just because you said that, thanks.

Frankfurt

Banned
Kasumi1970 said:
so it also coming to 360 too?

Most likely. XII was released for 360 in all of Asia and the US, so it's a good shot XIII will too. The asian versions outside of Japan were region-free, even.

Superblatt said:
I still need to pick up 12.

Gameplay is good (even if kinda different from most KOFs), if you have a friend to play offline. But it's really, really barebones. Probably the most barebones ever released by SNK. If you play alone, you won't get more than a few hours of enjoyment, so i would say don't pay more than 20 bucks.

Frankfurt

Banned
Holy shit. An ex-SNKP programmer who recently quit talks about how god-awful things are at SNKP. KOF XIII's home port seems to be in an even worse situation than XII's:

Professor from MMCafe said:
For anyone wondering where some of the rumors regarding SNKP's tight situation with KOF's current development status is coming from, it's from a supposed programmer who quit the company in late September.

帽子が本体 (boxerprogrammer) on Twitter

I was taking it with a grain of salt and didn't think it was worth any mention due to lack of legitimacy until recently, when I realized that he was talking together with Dokimajo producer Yoshiyasu Matsushita about the company's internal situation.

His tweets has some very.. 'raw' tidbits such as this entry
"Around the end of the development period, I was sleeping under my desk with a towel rolled around me, laying on newspaper. It's just memories now, like the way how I almost caught a cold with the air conditioner on while asleep, or like how I hit my head on my desk when I woke up. XII's console [development] period was seriously really bad."

He avoids from directly saying the name of his ex-company, but there's quite a bit of entries about the workplace and its treatment. Like the way how his supervisor ordered the staff to work on a sleepover for a full week without letting them go home (note: the company doesn't have a shower room), or how he wasn't allowed to even get a replacement for a very unconfortable chair and had to wait for another staff to quit to swap it. The company simply seems to be tight on money.

For anyone nutty enough to scroll all the way to the end of September to read some entries of what seems to be about XIII's home port situation, feel free.

Some snippets are provided below. The figures sound small, and I'm sure he's just talking in terms of programmers.

(Highlight to view) -

"It seems like the rest has to be done by two staffs and one part-timer at my company too.. I guess there's a lot of projects like that."

"I quit without worrying because they were saying that the home port is going to be outsourced"

"I heard later that they were going to do it in-house, and I'm feeling like, errm hey...?"

"Just to add, the previous home version for the PS3 and Xbox360 was developed with 5 people, so as a company, they might have been thinking that "it's no problem if just one or two people left." Leaving results are important, but I don't like the idea that we left a weird previous instance..."

The Madman's Cafe -Bulletin Board

It makes sense that SNKP would stop dropping pachinko money into the non-profitable gaming division.

Frankfurt

Banned
You could feel the desperation in the XII console version. Even the menus were barren.

XIII seems to be a much better game, so even a straight port would be superior to XII, but it's still disappointing. Specially when you consider it probably means the netcode will be treated the same way.

AAK

That's pretty disheartening to see this happen to the developers of such a prestigious franchise.

Let's all pray for a miracle.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Reminds me of the Tales of the overworked/underpaid animators for anime.

Anywho, they pulled out the arcade version under these circumstances, and it is pretty sad to read this kind of thing, alongside all the "I'm tired of waiting, what's wrong with them!?!?!" fan commentaries on the web. Always good to remember there are people behind these things.

Hope some things got better for the people still working there, after the Arcade edition has actually been doing well.

Time to wait and see what happens next...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Frankfurt said:
Holy shit. An ex-SNKP programmer who recently quit talks about how god-awful things are at SNKP. KOF XIII's home port seems to be in an even worse situation than XII's:

The Madman's Cafe -Bulletin Board

It makes sense that SNKP would stop dropping pachinko money into the non-profitable gaming division.
OH SNAPPLE CAKES!!

;___;

PS2 KOFXI was outsourced and its the best ever... just sayin'

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Choppasmith said:
Apparently, SNK's going to be at CES later this week, but here's the crazy part:

eUZdE.png

Why are they listed with Capcom as one company? CvS3? :D
W T F ?

It is crazy... they share a booth maybe ? mhmhmh
I dont even know when is CES... but this could be crazy.

Their stoopid website doesnt name Capcom/SNK. >_<

Date : January 6 - 9

TreIII

Fersis said:
OH SNAPPLE CAKES!!

;___;

PS2 KOFXI was outsourced and its the best ever... just sayin'

True, but it is still sad to hear about this type of thing. Here's hoping things get better for those still at the company.

I remember when 13 was starting there was word of "this is it", if 13 doesn't sell then KOF is done for. It's painful to see employees treated like shit when they've made such a good looking game. I hope their passion and sacrifice translates to sales figures.

Fersis

robut said:
I remember when 13 was starting there was word of "this is it", if 13 doesn't sell then KOF is done for. It's painful to see employees treated like shit when they've made such a good looking game. I hope their passion and sacrifice translates to sales figures.
The arcade version is sold out... though that doesnt mean its going to save the studio. ;__;

;___;

robut said:

It seems, from all reports; KoF13 is faring well at arcades which is an important first step in the redemption of SNK. At this point home ports are a nice luxury, but the first priority is SNK remains viable on it's home turf. They've never been a recognizable name to fickle casual gamers in the West, the audience Capcom is selling nostalgia to these days (Like SF2? Here's SF4, it's just like 2 with more 3Deez and cinematics; like MvC2? Here's MvC3 TU4R lulz).

Unfortunately Japan as a whole seems lost on how to remain relevant to gaming outside of Japan. Ignoring instances of banking on nostalgia and navigating Titanic franchises into icebergs.

This is why I loved Garou and SF3 so much. It gambled on my nostalgia for familiar franchises, familiar name, but provided me with wholly unique game play experiences. They felt like an evolutionary step. A lot of what Japanese developers are crapping out these days feels less like that risk taking, and more of playing it safe. SF4 (SF2 Redux), Bayonetta (DMC Redux), and pretty much every game the Western media and message boards have gone gaga for. :|

Best of luck to you SNK. It's weird typing that seeing as how I'm generally very anti-corporation. :lol

outsidah

tubgirlsplumber said:
It's highly likely that SNKP will be picked up by Capcom, unless they can hang on that is.

Honestly that would probably be the best thing to happen to SNKP so those great characters can be put to use. I am so tired of SNK fail.

TreIII

outsidah said:
Honestly that would probably be the best thing to happen to SNKP so those great characters can be put to use. I am so tired of SNK fail.

Nuh-uh. If anything, I'd rather SNK team up with ASW. At least with ASW, we'd be more or less guaranteed that a SNK fighter would still be sprite-based 2D, unless SNK some how desires for different themselves. That's a bit more than what could be said if SNK were to likely end up in the clutches of Capcom or Bamco.

TreIII said:
Nuh-uh. If anything, I'd rather SNK team up with ASW. At least with ASW, we'd be more or less guaranteed that a SNK fighter would still be sprite-based 2D, unless SNK some how desires for different themselves. That's a bit more than what could be said if SNK were to likely end up in the clutches of Capcom or Bamco.

Not to mention ASW has set the standard for God's Own Netcode in online fighting games.

It's a double win.

However I wonder if there's any bad blood between ASW and SNK?

Fersis

tubgirlsplumber said:
It's highly likely that SNKP will be picked up by Capcom, unless they can hang on that is.
It would be awesome if they became the 2D Capcom Studio.
I dont want polygons in my KOF and Fatal Fury.... not again.

TTOB : I used to listen Rhapsody when i was young.

I mean im not a polygon racist since i like how TvC,SFIV and MvC3 looks but nothing beat true 2D Dot art. Nothing.

NOTH-ING

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Histories of past mergers wouldn't have me looking forward to SNKP/Capcom hooking up. It'd be much preferred to the company dying, surely, but that's about it.

I'd much rather see them pull a, say, MadCatz (kinda dubious record, until making the ONE set of products that puts you on the map), than the messes that have occured with things like Sammy x Sega, Square x Enix, or even Koei x Tecmo.

I guess if they became something like.. a strong internal development studio that still kept their old properties and flagship works (becoming something like Sega's various AM divisions,which had so much clout, that they could have been seperate companies), I could see it working. They'd basically be themselves, but with a financial boost.

But if they followed Capcom's ways; Dropping new 2D art for new 3D creations almost entirely, trying so hard to appeal to western markets by losing some of their own identity... it'd be a quiet loss to the niche that actually appreciates what they've been aiming for with the combined works of XII and XIII.

Fersis

SAB CA said:
Histories of past mergers wouldn't have me looking forward to SNKP/Capcom hooking up. It'd be much preferred to the company dying, surely, but that's about it.

I'd much rather see them pull a, say, MadCatz (kinda dubious record, until making the ONE set of products that puts you on the map), than the messes that have occured with things like Sammy x Sega, Square x Enix, or even Koei x Tecmo.

I guess if they became something like.. a strong internal development studio that still kept their old properties and flagship works (becoming something like Sega's various AM divisions,which had so much clout, that they could have been seperate companies), I could see it working. They'd basically be themselves, but with a financial boost.

But if they followed Capcom's ways; Dropping new 2D art for new 3D creations almost entirely, trying so hard to appeal to western markets by losing some of their own identity... it'd be a quiet loss to the niche that actually appreciates what they've been aiming for with the combined works of XII and XIII.
Dont even say it man. Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?
>8/

I don't know... Arc Systems somehow stays alive just doing 2D, but I'm not sure how having SNK on board would help them. More franchises sure, but it's not like Arc needs more stuff to do. They seem to get by well by just doing a fairly popular fighter (BB) and working on other people's 2D projects (Sengoku Basara, that Contra game).

On the other hand it would reunite the (assumed) Samurai Shodown team with the franchise. Or is that just a myth?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:
Dont even say it man. Do you kiss your mom with that mouth?
>8/

:lol but that's possibly what'd happen! It's just so likey that merging them would make them NOT be SNK anymore...

So lets put some different words into the air...

-Begin Dream sequence-
SNKP absorbs a couple awesome Doujin game makers, like the guys who make Melty Blood, and the guy who made Vanguard Princess, and then, under an SNKP-focused vision, with all the manpower and burning hotblooded passion, they produce an awesome, higher-res Garou sequel that is so amazing, it makes the SFIV fans stop, take notice, and bow in respect!

This starts the 2D sprite renaissance, and ever traditional JP arcade company from the 90s (Konami, Capcom...Sega? Data East!, etc) find a way to make a 2D sprite division that focuses on digital releases that make their ways to the "current gen" consoles, but even Steam, allowing 2D games to step into modern day gamers hearts! Combined with developing with these Platforms + the 3DS and PSP2, SNKP is remembered for being the leader + best contributer to this movement.
...A man can dream...

SAB CA said:

Pull a Madcatz?

So every regular game will be KoF12, and the good game will cost three times as much as KoF12 and actually work? :lol

No disrespect to our resident Madcatz shill; but fuck Madcatz until the end of time. Being the ramora attached to the underbelly of the Street Fighter franchise while still crapping out below middling quality product isn't anything to aspire to.

Sorry Fersis, but every modern Capcom fighter looks shit. I was willing to give TvC a chance from tiny early screens; but the end result was some janky PS2 looking visuals. Polygon visuals, even in this day and age, do not look and feel like sprite based visuals. I realize this is preference and an intangible that cannot be quantified; but that's just the way it is.

Yes, SF4 tried something different visually; big deal. So did that water colored Prince of Persia game, Wind Waker, Rock Band, Guitar Hero. . . blah blah blah. Yeah, SF4 is amazing if all you play is Call of Duty. :|

Fersis

I get why they made SSFIV and MVC3 with polygons and (At least for me) they look fine.
But theres no way they will look better than a true 2D game. Theres no chance in hell.

So yeah im gonna troll the Crysis 2 thread about how 2D > 3D. BRB

Maybe im an old bitter man... but i want my sprites back >8(

KOF XII/XIII pipeline seems like the way to go:
1) Model the characters in 3D
2) Animate them
3) Pick 'Key' frames
4) Export it as 2D pictures.
5) Draw all the details by hand.

Now... step #5 is the key here. It takes a lot of time but its the one that make it look awesome.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I'm agreeing with TTOB a lot lately. Scary :p

3D is tolerable in VF or Tekken where it actually makes use of it, but having 3d models on a 2d plane mimicking 2d keyframe animation looks awful to me, like everything is made of rubber or somthing. It just doesn't work. I bought into ssf4 but I'll probably be avoiding mvc3 and sfvt because of it. Capcom is dead to me.

SAB CA said:
:lol but that's possibly what'd happen! It's just so likey that merging them would make them NOT be SNK anymore...

So lets put some different words into the air...

-Begin Dream sequence-
SNKP absorbs a couple awesome Doujin game makers, like the guys who make Melty Blood, and the guy who made Vanguard Princess, and then, under an SNKP-focused vision, with all the manpower and burning hotblooded passion, they produce an awesome, higher-res Garou sequel that is so amazing, it makes the SFIV fans stop, take notice, and bow in respect!

This starts the 2D sprite renaissance, and ever traditional JP arcade company from the 90s (Konami, Capcom...Sega? Data East!, etc) find a way to make a 2D sprite division that focuses on digital releases that make their ways to the "current gen" consoles, but even Steam, allowing 2D games to step into modern day gamers hearts! Combined with developing with these Platforms + the 3DS and PSP2, SNKP is remembered for being the leader + best contributer to this movement.
...A man can dream...

I like the way you dream!

Fersis said:
Maybe im an old bitter man... but i want my sprites back >8(

You're neither old nor bitter.

Doing everything with polygons is like the art world ignoring painting in favor of sculpture. :\

I no longer buy the whole budget / time arguments.

Fersis

luka said:
I'm agreeing with TTOB a lot lately. Scary :p

3D is tolerable in VF or Tekken where it actually makes use of it, but having 3d models on a 2d plane mimicking 2d keyframe animation looks awful to me, like everything is made of rubber or somthing. It just doesn't work. I bought into ssf4 but I'll probably be avoiding mvc3 and sfvt because of it. Capcom is dead to me.
SFIV animation works something like this :
- They use IK to animate the characters
- Key Frame interpolation ...
BUT
- They cut some of the interpolation in special cases. ie: St.HP after its last active frame.
That way it avoids 'over' interpolation.

Still : 2D > 3D.

Fersis

haunts said:
I think Capcom gobbling up SNKP would be awesome.
Yeah... only if they let SNKP to keep doing 2D fighters.

GAROU 2D : BEST GAEM EVAR!!!1!!!111

Capcom doesnt have what it takes to make a 2D fighter anymore.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Fersis said:
Yeah... only if they let SNKP to keep doing 2D fighters.

GAROU 2D : BEST GAEM EVAR!!!1!!!111

Capcom doesnt have what it takes to make a 2D fighter anymore.

In a perfect world they would take what SNK has put together with KOFXII-XIII and just keep building on that, put in some great netcode and blow up the marketing to get it out there to more peeps.

Also: CVS3.

Top Bottom