• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
haunts said:
In a perfect world they would take what SNK has put together with KOFXII-XIII and just keep building on that, put in some great netcode and blow up the marketing to get it out there to more peeps.

Also: CVS3.
If they rebalance KOFXIII... oh my god.
I want to see it in Evo 2011 ! Make it happen Haunts !

Dali

Since this is the hype thread, let me officially say I'm hyped for this game. I've never been much of a KoFer, but after having played XIII I've got to say I'm sold. Every time I play SFIV or SSFIV I can't help but come away complaining how shitty it "feels". I don't know if that's just by design or a result of it being 3D. Maybe it's the HD lag on... every SFIV setup I've played. Whatever the problem it doesn't feel as responsive as SF3 and after having played XIII I can say it falls well short of that as well. The game looks beautiful and feels like a real "next gen" incarnation of a classic fighting game, unlike the aforementioned. It was fun as hell too.

Once again I suck at KoF, but I was doing all kinds of crazy-awesome looking shit with K'. King was okay as well, but not as noob-friendly, unless you consider her losing her shirt when you inevitably get your ass handed to you as being noob-friendly. I played as Terry as well, who was kind of blaise compared to some of the other fighters. Anyway, this game rocks and seems deep enough to hang around for a while.

Dali said:
Since this is the hype thread, let me officially say I'm hyped for this game. I've never been much of a KoFer, but after having played XIII I've got to say I'm sold. Every time I play SFIV or SSFIV I can't help but come away complaining how shitty it "feels". I don't know if that's just by design or a result of it being 3D. Maybe it's the HD lag on... every SFIV setup I've played. Whatever the problem it doesn't feel as responsive as SF3 and after having played XIII I can say it falls well short of that as well. The game looks beautiful and feels like a real "next gen" incarnation of a classic fighting game, unlike the aforementioned. It was fun as hell too.

Once again I suck at KoF, but I was doing all kinds of crazy-awesome looking shit with K'. King was okay as well, but not as noob-friendly, unless you consider her losing her shirt when you inevitably get your ass handed to you as being noob-friendly. I played as Terry as well, who was kind of blaise compared to some of the other fighters. Anyway, this game rocks and seems deep enough to hang around for a while.

TESTIFY!

Where did you get to play it?

I remember reading a good deal of the KOF team came from the SF2 team. It'd be interesting to see them come back to Capcom (if any are left and aren't tired of living under their desks). While I love sprites, I love polys too (I enjoyed the Maximum Impact games) and wouldn't mind seeing a CVS3 based on the SF4 engine once SFxT is done with. I like haunts' idea of Capcom iterating on KOF13 but I wonder how enthused they'd be since they keep stating they don't want to over-saturate the market.

Dali

The Take Out Bandit said:
TESTIFY!

Where did you get to play it?
Tokyo (Akihabara) a couple of weeks ago. I took some video with my camera in my lap, but it sucks pretty bad as the camera was... in my lap. On top of that it's not very compelling because I suck.

edit:

Wait a minute... I just read your post title. Damn I hate you, dude.

Rehashing an existing KoF game is only permissable in the present day where SNK is as wounded as it is. I'm not saying the Ultimate Match games aren't fun, but when SNK was in it's prime it didn't need to have Super King of Fighters '95 because in the next year we'd get a new installment. Which worked for a while, until SNK ended up on skid row.

All I want is for SNK to get back on it's feet, if anything ditch the numbered interations and go back to the year of release. It's tradition.

But yeah, Capcom rehashed games because it didn't have the massive stable of fighters SNK had in it's prime. If anything, SNK stuck with titles a bit longer than Capcom who seemed more content with letting new titles that didn't gain commercial success fall by the wayside.

What I'm arguing against here is the danger that comes in all corporations whittling it's franchises down to ONE or TWO franchises that get beaten to death Activision/EA style.

In a perfect world SNK would find it's footing and KoF would thrive, then we'd get a new Garou, a new SamSho, a new World Heroes, a new Last Blade. Etc.

I know it's crazy in today's market where fighting games have seemingly been "saved" by Capcom and there's a generation who didn't grow up when coin-op games were abundant in America; but that's the way it used to be and there's no reason it can't be if we have reasonable expectations and developers use the download services instead of clogging store shelves with another retail SKU.

ANY genre can experience fatigue; but that doesn't mean it needs to die.

Fersis said:
I get why they made SSFIV and MVC3 with polygons and (At least for me) they look fine.
But theres no way they will look better than a true 2D game. Theres no chance in hell.

Exactly how I feel!

-Begin Dream sequence-
SNKP absorbs a couple awesome Doujin game makers, like the guys who make Melty Blood, and the guy who made Vanguard Princess, and then, under an SNKP-focused vision, with all the manpower and burning hotblooded passion, they produce an awesome, higher-res Garou sequel that is so amazing, it makes the SFIV fans stop, take notice, and bow in respect!

This starts the 2D sprite renaissance, and ever traditional JP arcade company from the 90s (Konami, Capcom...Sega? Data East!, etc) find a way to make a 2D sprite division that focuses on digital releases that make their ways to the "current gen" consoles, but even Steam, allowing 2D games to step into modern day gamers hearts! Combined with developing with these Platforms + the 3DS and PSP2, SNKP is remembered for being the leader + best contributer to this movement.
...A man can dream...

That would be GLORIOUS!

But yeah I think the best that might turn up at CES is Capcom announcing CVS2 HD Remix and SNK announcing SvC Chaos for the NG Station. Yeah I like that game, though I do wish we could get a sequel and/or the UM treatment.

CO_Andy

SSFIV and MVC3 with polygons... look fine.
But theres no way they will look better than a true 2D game. Theres no chance in hell.
Some day we'll get here :(

RYU_MODEL_etc.jpg

TreIII

ANY genre can experience fatigue; but that doesn't mean it needs to die.

Exactly. God knows that there's more than enough FPSes out there, with seemingly more arriving on the scene all the time. The bottomline is that there still an audience that buys enough of these games to make it worth the while. I'd like to think that fighting games can easily do that too, if the companies play their cards right. :lol

But if such is going to happen, yeah, SNK definitely does need to build itself up. The fact that it lost valuable time and resources due to the "Death and Rebirth" restructuring a decade ago doesn't help matters, and now they're really behind in the "game", as it were.

Again, I wouldn't mind at all if ASW decided to pal around with them, not unlike how ASW and Examu are now apparently business partners (though Examu is still its own entity still), if the upcoming AH3 PS360 port is anything to go by. If ASW wants to set itself up as a bastion for 2D fighting gamed as a whole, that would be fine. Besides, ASW and SNK should understand each other! They both were companies that escaped from harsh mistresses that were only bringing them down (Aruze and Sammy, in each respective case). :lol

TreIII said:
Exactly. God knows that there's more than enough FPSes out there, with seemingly more arriving on the scene all the time. The bottomline is that there still an audience that buys enough of these games to make it worth the while. I'd like to think that fighting games can easily do that too, if the companies play their cards right. :lol

But if such is going to happen, yeah, SNK definitely does need to build itself up. The fact that it lost valuable time and resources due to the "Death and Rebirth" restructuring a decade ago doesn't help matters, and now they're really behind in the "game", as it were.

Again, I wouldn't mind at all if ASW decided to pal around with them, not unlike how ASW and Examu are now apparently business partners (though Examu is still its own entity still), if the upcoming AH3 PS360 port is anything to go by. If ASW wants to set itself up as a bastion for 2D fighting gamed as a whole, that would be fine. Besides, ASW and SNK should understand each other! They both were companies that escaped from harsh mistresses that were only bringing them down (Aruze and Sammy, in each respective case). :lol

If watching years of super robot anime has taught me nothing, it's that - with courage a 10% chance can become 100%!

taiga.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Remember kids this week is CES! Im already hyped.

First showing of KOFXIII on consoles ?
Capcom announcing SNKP acquisition ?
Fersis hired as Garou 2 Director ?

Choo choo the hype train is here!

EDIT: Hello boxerprogrammer! As you may see theres a lot of love for the old SNK!
Sad to hear about your experiences on the 'current SNK'.

faridmon

I wonder how this series is for Fighters beginners. Struggling through BlazBlue at the moment, change of franchise might be the ideal thing for me. Maybe this series is the one?

I suck at fighting games :(

KAL2006

Banned
Fersis said:
Remember kids this week is CES! Im already hyped.

First showing of KOFXIII on consoles ?
Capcom announcing SNKP acquisition ?
Fersis hired as Garou 2 Director ?

Choo choo the hype train is here!

EDIT: Hello boxerprogrammer! As you may see theres a lot of love for the old SNK!
Sad to hear about your experiences on the 'current SNK'.

It seems every company is releasing something, we got MK, MvC3, Tekken Tag 2, BlazBlue CS and Soul Calibur 5. The only company left behind is SNK, where is the home release of KOFXIII.

I was happy that KOFXIII was doing good in the arcades but if they still going to half as the console port like XII they can fuck off.
The lost allot of people with XII fucking up XIII is a no no .

Fersis

KAL2006 said:
It seems every company is releasing something, we got MK, MvC3, Tekken Tag 2, BlazBlue CS and Soul Calibur 5. The only company left behind is SNKP, where is the home release of KOFXIII.
This year for sure... maybe we will get a release date during this CES.

GET HAIP !

Shadow780

Only a fully featured console port with Blazblue online can ease my day-one XII pain.

okay maybe not fully featured but online must work!

gundamkyoukai said:
I was happy that KOFXIII was doing good in the arcades but if they still going to half as the console port like XII they can fuck off.
The lost allot of people with XII fucking up XIII is a no no .

:|

Maybe you should read a few pages back for the explanation to that one.

King of Fighters XII is arriving this week.

For all that's wrong with the game, the relationship I have with this series is too great for me to entirely discredit the hard work that went into completely overhauling the game visuals. Plus I'm fond of the SamSho style zooming.

Too little too late, but I believe in SNK all staff!
062.gif

luka

Loves Robotech S1
King of Fighters XII is arriving this week.

For all that's wrong with the game, the relationship I have with this series is too great for me to entirely discredit the hard work that went into completely overhauling the game visuals. Plus I'm fond of the SamSho style zooming.

Too little too late, but I believe in SNK all staff!
062.gif

Heh, I just picked up KOF12 brand new for 10 bucks. I figured at that price it was worth putting some time into it for the visuals alone. :lol

Fersis

Better late than never huh?
Oh and if you use any sprite softing ill add you to my ignore list ;)

Fersis

WHAT!?

Pixels are beautiful! :3
Yes yes they are.
Damn you kids and your ' oh noez KOFXII pixels hurt my eyez!! ;__; plz SNKP add some polygons or blur to my KOF!'

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ahhh, bump with no content! Let me help Remedy that!

Combo Vid for Ash/Betty/Duo/Shen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wug_FR9UDtc

SNKP + CES = no show, apparently. Not like anyone should be that suprised.
They asked in an "Ask Capcom" what the CES thing meant, and the Capcom guys responded that they had no idea of what all that was about, sooo... who knows.

I had to avoid posting walls of XIII alt colors the other day, when the "Aksys makes the best color alts!" thing came up in the MvC3 threads! :D Yuri and Raiden's colors looks a LOT better than things from either games, I'd say... ASW does a solid job, surely, but I find some of their contrast work to be a bit odd at times.

I don't hate MvC3's colors, but some of them do look awkward. And since there's so few colors in comparision (though I understand WHY), it makes it easier to be annoyed by specific colors... The colors in XIII are just so cool! I still smile at the Martial Champions Yuri color.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Why has it been so long since arcade infinity did any nice hd videos. :(

Anyway, kofXII...actually seeing this game in motion in front of you is truly something else. How could anyone possibly complain about the pixels? Blows my mind. This is actual, honest to god next gen pixel art! Be praying XIII has the option to disable filters. Online play is absolutely abominable though. It's a shame I actually have to play the game to see the visuals. :lol

Beat the arcade mode in under 8 minutes without losing a round on normal the first time I played it. That's all kinds of wrong. (also, time trial? seriously?)

I need XIII now more than ever.

SAB CA said:
SNKP + CES = no show, apparently. Not like anyone should be that suprised.
They asked in an "Ask Capcom" what the CES thing meant, and the Capcom guys responded that they had no idea of what all that was about, sooo... who knows.

Praise Beth Gaga Shaggy!

Now let that terrible rumor die!

ASW + SNK, BELIEVE! </Spaceology Star Ordering System>

Fersis

Praise Beth Gaga Shaggy!

Now let that terrible rumor die!

ASW + SNK, BELIEVE! </Spaceology Star Ordering System>
Yeah... not treally.
The netcode and nothing else.

Thanks for the video SAB CA!

Fersis said:
Yeah... not treally.
The netcode and nothing else.

Fersis, normally I endorse your Fersis-ness; but this is what's important:

- God's Own Netcode
- 2D Sprite Based Love

You show me any other company out there now that maintains this legacy!

Alternatively, I'd love Wayforward to work with SNK in the capacity of a publisher, but I don't believe that's really in the cards or the way forward.
050.gif

Fersis

Fersis, normally I endorse your Fersis-ness; but this is what's important:

- God's Own Netcode
- 2D Sprite Based Love

You show me any other company out there now that maintains this legacy!

Alternatively, I'd love Wayforward to work with SNK in the capacity of a publisher, but I don't believe that's really in the cards or the way forward.
050.gif
I agree... but i dont want ASW sprite (Vector based drawing) style in KOF.
(Im NOT talking about art styles)
I want 2D Pixel Art and nothing more >8(

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Fersis said:
I agree... but i dont want ASW sprite (Vector based drawing) style in KOF.
I want 2D Pixel Art and nothing more >8(

Absolutely. The kind of flat, cheap vector art seen in BB and HDR makes me wretch. (not really, but it just seems so lazy to me) Just doing 2D games is one thing, it's another thing to do them properly!

zlatko

Banned
Any word on console version yet? April would be the perfect time to launch this if they are going to make it happen.

Fersis

ASW is working with Examu and Arcana Heart 3 is fine. Fine, except for the part where it's awash in loli and moé. :|
Im a bitter old man Bandit... im old school. Too old to embrace polygons and Vector drawings. :lol

Pixels 4 Lyfe.

zlatko said:
Any word on console version yet? April would be the perfect time to launch this if they are going to make it happen.
We only know its in development and that it will be released this year (Q1 i think)

Fersis said:
Im a bitter old man Bandit... im old school. Too old to embrace polygons and Vector drawings. :lol

Pixels 4 Lyfe.

You're preaching to the choir Fersis, and BB is a great looking game compared to the competition. My only complaint is in typical ASW fashion certain characters animate better than others, but that's been the case since GG series. :p

And I'll troll you on a technicality since the foundation for KoF sprites are rough polygon models that get painted up to look like pixels. Don't forget the ingredients used to prepare the dish. ASW used a similar approach creating BB. It's basically rotoscoping in modern terms.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
And I'll troll you on a technicality since the foundation for KoF sprites are rough polygon models that get painted up to look like pixels. Don't forget the ingredients used to prepare the dish. ASW used a similar approach creating BB. It's basically rotoscoping in modern terms.

The models are used as a reference for each frame and nothing more. I'd say the end result is more important than the techniques used to achieve them. ;)

Pixel art is an insanely time consuming process and doubling the resolution effectively quadruples the work involved. You gotta take a few shortcuts.

luka said:
The models are used as a reference for each frame and nothing more. I'd say the end result is more important than the techniques used to achieve them. ;)

Right. Rotoscoping, which I'm sorry if I assumed was a common term. Feature animators have used it for years.

You are preaching to the choir.

I don't care how developers get there, as long as they reach the destination. And it doesn't end up looking SF4/MvC3 terribad.

Personally, I hate rotoscoping, it's useful in certain situations, but overall the amazing animation of the likes Vampire Saviour wouldn't be possible with it.

Fersis

You're preaching to the choir Fersis, and BB is a great looking game compared to the competition. My only complaint is in typical ASW fashion certain characters animate better than others, but that's been the case since GG series. :p

Im aware.
But all the details are made by hand. Not only but some of the character shades too.
And KOF uses lots of shading not just the classic : Shadow Color,Base Color, Bright Color.

KOFXIII has the most detailed sprites since SFIII and Garou.
The animation is not as smooth as those titles though.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Prime crotch said:
Personally, I hate rotoscoping, it's useful in certain situations, but overall the amazing animation of the likes Vampire Saviour wouldn't be possible with it.

Well, it's a great technique if you're going for a particular style. I don't think KOF would look particularly good with the comically exaggerated proportions of Vampire. It would also take an astronomical amount of work to achieve in anything higher than 384 x 224. :p

For shit's and giggles, here's a great article on why Vampire is so awesome.

Fersis

luka said:
Well, it's a great technique if you're going for a particular style. I don't think KOF would look particularly good with the comically exaggerated proportions of Vampire. It would also take an astronomical amount of work to achieve in anything higher than 384 x 224. :p

For shit's and giggles, here's a great article on why Vampire is so awesome.
Darkstalkers and SFIII have godlike animations.
Capcom had some of the best animators/artists in the business... i wonder where they are now.

For that matter an excess of animation and some odd characters are part of the reason SF2 fanboys were so butthurt by the glory of SF3. Darkstalkers level animation is nice, I don't think it fits into Street Fighter quite as seemlessly. Not the design of characters like Twelve and Necro, but the deformation and extreme range of animation technique. SF characters didn't deform that much in SF2 series, and from what I recall the Alpha series as well.

More so the techniques discussed in the link, which seems to be making the nerd rounds as my buddy texted it to me this morning, not the actual frames of animation.

Like any tool, it has a purpose and I wouldn't use a hammer to set a screw. :p

KoF12 looked great. KoF13 looks great. Shantae Risky's Revenge looks great. BlazBlue looks great. There are great 2D games being made, but gamers need to support the developers or it's going to go away for good.

Fersis

For that matter an excess of animation and some odd characters are part of the reason SF2 fanboys were so butthurt by the glory of SF3. Darkstalkers level animation is nice, I don't think it fits into Street Fighter quite as seemlessly. Not the design of characters like Twelve and Necro, but the deformation and extreme range of animation technique. SF characters didn't deform that much in SF2 series, and from what I recall the Alpha series as well.

More so the techniques discussed in the link, which seems to be making the nerd rounds as my buddy texted it to me this morning, not the actual frames of animation.

Like any tool, it has a purpose and I wouldn't use a hammer to set a screw. :p

KoF12 looked great. KoF13 looks great. Shantae Risky's Revenge looks great. BlazBlue looks great. There are great 2D games being made, but gamers need to support the developers or it's going to go away for good.

Agreed, Darkstalkers animation is beyond awesome ... but it doesnt fit KOF.
And yeah : Moar 2D games plz!

Fersis said:
Darkstalkers and SFIII have godlike animations.
Capcom had some of the best animators/artists in the business... i wonder where they are now.

I wonder.

I seem to recall back in the day there being a lot of talent moving between Capcom, SNK, and others I can't think of at the moment. Some of the staff split off and formed Arika. I believe some of that staff split and formed Dimps. Some of the SNK staff left and formed ASW.

Some of the character designers got into anime, but hearing how miserable the Japanese animation industry is as a profession for animators; I can't see moving into anime for them being a step up. Unless the work conditions for game animators is worse than commercial animation.

And if you'd like any assistance in visuals for your secret project you have my Axe!

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
It's amazing how SFIII is 14 years old, and is nearly unrivaled in 2D animation...though KOF XIII is my #2

Top Bottom