• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII Hype

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
DrFunk said:
It's amazing how SFIII is 14 years old, and is nearly unrivaled in 2D animation...though KOF XIII is my #2

1) SFIII animation are beyond aazing, truly a legendary work.
2) They had 3 versions so they had time to work into animations. :lol
3) Garou came close... still far though.
4) In this day and age no one is going to spend so much time (resources) on a 2D game.

The Take Out Bandit : Its not secret at all!!

Dave Long

Banned
Watch them release this on console right around the time that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 ships. Oh SNK... :(

One day, in some distant Fringe dimension and time, there will be an SNK that has money to properly market their games and reach a wider audience. Capcom will be the also ran that makes awesome games people only half care about unless they're rabid fans.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Ash,Yuri,King and Mai combos from SNKPlaymore HK

(Source : iPlaywinner.com)

Dave Long said:
Watch them release this on console right around the time that Marvel vs. Capcom 3 ships. Oh SNK... :(

One day, in some distant Fringe dimension and time, there will be an SNK that has money to properly market their games and reach a wider audience. Capcom will be the also ran that makes awesome games people only half care about unless they're rabid fans.
MvC3 releases next month right? I doubt SNKP is going to announce the game so close to release.

Dave Long

Banned
I realize MvC3 is soon, but it would be just like SNK to do that. :(

Hopefully they release it at a time when it can get some press. Doing it at Christmas probably won't be the best option either as it'll get lost regardless of quality.

Either way, I'd just like to play it soon. It's going to be a year of reading about it and others having played it before people here in the States get to try it out, meaning as soon as we go online we're hosed, good or bad netcode aside.

Random guess: August/September release. Just before the holiday games start coming out and giving (the handful of people working on it) enough to time to crank out some content (I'd drop extra characters if resources went to improving netcode).

LowParry

I hate to say it, but I have this sad sad feeling this won't be out till March of 2012. But if I'm wrong, I'll eat some crow to see it out by this year.

Frankfurt

Banned
I don't mind waiting. What I'm worried about is that, even if netcode is BB level, the lag would still be greater than BB and maybe even SF4. Both of those games have engines that accommodate lag. XIII doesn't. The Vewlix arcade machines of those 3 games have input lag, and KOF is the series that suffers the most.

Anyway, I'm late and it was just a typo, but if Capcom absorbed SNK, I would be more scared than anything. Not only because TVC, Sf4 and MVC3 pale in comparison to their 2d
counterparts, but also because the way those go in games, movies and comics, it's always just a matter of IPs and not much else. It's really rare to see the identity (and staff) of the smaller company remain. Worst of all, it's common to see some compilations and/or rehashes be used as a barometer of interest, which would be a no go.

And digressing even more, been giving XII some time lately, and I'm now getting the CVS1 feeling from it - a game with beautiful and mediocre sides, which in the end just feels flat. The throws, the jumps, the standing Cs are in the end what bother me the most, now. It's a good enough game, like CVS1, but doesn't have the spark.

rockman zx said:
I wonder how much will cost to hire arc system works to do the console port?, If examu can do it with AH3, I bet snkp can too.
wow, that would be such a good idea. AH3 doesn't come out for another couple days, but if it's anything like Arc's previous work, it should have great online play.

Of course, one big reason Blazblue plays so well online is the game's intrinsic 5-frame input buffer. I don't think KoFXIII has such leniency in with their inputs.

Fersis said:

Was checking this out at work, some casual gaming plebe that only plays the latest Halo drivel comes by and starts whining about how all fighting games are about button mashing, how it looks just like a Super Nintendo game, blah blah. . . I had to stifle my inner Yamazaki.

Carrying a knife ≠ Using a knife

Needless to say my distaste for casual gamers and the majority rule is increased ten fold! :D

zlatko

Banned
The Take Out Bandit said:
Was checking this out at work, some casual gaming plebe that only plays the latest Halo drivel comes by and starts whining about how all fighting games are about button mashing, how it looks just like a Super Nintendo game, blah blah. . . I had to stifle my inner Yamazaki.

Needless to say my distaste for casual gamers and the majority rule is increased ten fold! :D

Shoulda turned green, ripped your shirt off, and smashed.

Or just challenged him to any fighter like SF4 or T6, just to make him see A) they don't all look like SNES era and B) that mashing buttons will get him nowhere.

zlatko said:
Shoulda turned green, ripped your shirt off, and smashed.

Or just challenged him to any fighter like SF4 or T6, just to make him see A) they don't all look like SNES era and B) that mashing buttons will get him nowhere.

Oh I made the offer, but he blah blah'd it off.

Really, he barely qualifies as a gamer and is also a Browns fan; so basically a subhuman mouth breathing bag of organs awaiting a suitable donor.

zlatko

Banned

Really, he barely qualifies as a gamer and is also a Browns fan; so basically a subhuman mouth breathing bag of organs awaiting a suitable donor.

The reason I suggested SF4 and T6 is since I don't think any SNES game LOOKS that good. So you can at least get him to stfu bout that.

I suppose Dead or Alive is another suitable option.

Really though if he's ducking out a fight after talking mess, then you should have called him out on it. "Haha. So you like to like crap about games you are bad at or never play and clearly don't understand, yet act like you do, but then you chicken on when called out on it? Man, I think they have an old Browns game on youtube you can go replay a couple times to feel like you have a clue."

Some shit like that. Or you coulda fought fire with fire and talked a bunch out of your ass about Halo/CoD.

Then of course is the final option: Kill him with ANIMEH! Just put up Arcana Heart 3 for him to see and grin like a shit head as he walks away silently shaking his head.

The problem here is SF4 doesn't look good, and SNES games do look better than it.

I'd rather just take my PS2 with the HD filled with my fighting game library (to reduce load time and wear and tear on the DVD drive) and school him with SF3 which is a graphical masterpiece and VF4evo, which is God's Chosen 3D Fighting Game. :D

zlatko

Banned
The problem here is SF4 doesn't look good, and SNES games do look better than it.

I'd rather just take my PS2 with the HD filled with my fighting game library (to reduce load time and wear and tear on the DVD drive) and school him with SF3 which is a graphical masterpiece and VF4evo, which is God's Chosen 3D Fighting Game. :D

Those rose tinted glasses are glued on hard. :p

SF3 is my favorite SF in the series, but I don't right out hate SF4 like yourself.

On a KoF13 note, I really hope they don't botch up the release window for this. They need a month like April this year to really shine...that and an online mode that doesn't suck.

zlatko said:
SF3 is my favorite SF in the series, but I don't right out hate SF4 like yourself.

I play 4 and still don't find much redeeming about it outside of the addition of Hokan. Then again I'm also not wrapped up in the competitive fighting game scene, so my preferences and personal tastes take precedent over the need to maintain a top tier game and remain relevant to the competitive scene.

It was the same way with arcades. When all the arcades here started shilling to heathen MvC2 players and got rid of any real SF game I stopped going to arcades.

I'm also not hard for SF2 nostalgia; so a large portion of the SF4 appeal is lost on me.

On a KoF13 note, I really hope they don't botch up the release window for this. They need a month like April this year to really shine...that and an online mode that doesn't suck.

Release it when it's ready. From the sound of it SNK is in dire straights now and there's no point in rushing this.

I'm also not counting on this having competent online play. The standard bearer for online play in fighters is still Arc System Works, with Capcom running a distant second, and SNK being a small Japanese company has no chance unless ASW helps them to their feet. Which I hope is what happens.

SNK simply cannot afford to destroy it's non-Japanese fan base.

GhaleonQ

It's this kind of generosity of spirit that makes the fighting game community such a famously great one to breach!

(Kidding. He had it coming)

Fersis

Oh man that sucks!

I had the same conversation with a former co worker.
"Fighting games are the same since NES , look at how good GTAIV is!"

I raged.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Everyone's talking about SNK gaming division possible downsizing / abolishment, but I'm more along these thoughts from the Prof on MMC:

If the company's new tactic is indeed to grant more licenses as rumored, I'm not sure if the decision came due to offers, or if it's simply one that's going to be the result of downscaling. It may be a combination of both.

With Matsushita still in the company, it could be plausible that SNKP is cutting back on its game development but mainly towards the arcade.

Personally, I think that the new president, unless he's completely incompetent, would be smart enough to continue the periodic release of KOF to at least keep the IP's value at the current state, whether in-house or outsourced.

Videos: KoF XIII MMCstation Playlist

And to go along with that, he also posted some Videos of a King wall-carry combo + Variations, 7 videos going over the taunts of the game for various characters (First time to see many of them animated online), and he also has older random videos detailing King and Yuri's special K.Os, Boss-Phail moments, and underused pieces of the games soundtrack.

I took special notice of the taunts, because many of the ones you've heard are "Just other poses used over again!" actually have nice, subtle differences. Examples include Duo Lon actually shrugging his shoulders in his taunt, and cocking his head back in a rather jerky way, or Leona's rather subtle membership into the ole "Me bouncy!" club...

People acting like SNK getting development assistance from other teams is a bad thing here. So long as SNK retains the rights and final approval (on paper this works, in execution SS Sen *BARF!*) it's no different from where Crapcom is today and most of you fewls are fine with that.

I'm hoping it ends well and we get goodness out of this. Starting with a competent home release of KoFXIII.

Fersis

Just got confirmation that the KOFXIII console version its safe and still in development.

smilingbenal.jpg

Fersis said:
Just got confirmation that the KOFXIII console version its safe and still in development.

Great news but man is SNK taking forever .
I just hope they don't bring it out at a stupid time , 2011 looks like going to be expensive for any gamer .

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Fersis said:

-nod- This is good to know ^_^ With MvC3 coming out this month, and MK9 2 months after, I wonder what kinda release window they could really be hoping for...

To Make the wait even more unbearable (HA), here's an hour's worth of new high-level fights(1-26-11) from a-Cho in Japan:

Part 1: Beginning 48 min
Part 2: Ending 12 min

And another 19 min of Ratio Matches, from.. some place else!

More Fights!: Awesome but lower quality capture

Fersis

_dementia said:
Cool thanks for letting us know.
To be honest after the last SNKP news i was getting worried.
GOTY.

RyanDG

Fersis said:
To be honest after the last SNKP news i was getting worried.
GOTY.

I've heard from a little birdy something about a June release. I'm not sure how accurate it is or not. I was getting a bit anxious myself with the recent news going around. But King of Fighters always has a tendency of being able to live through adversity (in the form of the rather obtuse management of the franchise over the past decade or so).

TreIII

RyanDG said:
I've heard from a little birdy something about a June release. I'm not sure how accurate it is or not. I was getting a bit anxious myself with the recent news going around. But King of Fighters always has a tendency of being able to live through adversity (in the form of the rather obtuse management of the franchise over the past decade or so).

Would love if it was true. There's even a preemptive entry for KOFXIII on Play-Asia now. You can't even actually pre-order yet, but I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, it might be a sign of what is to come soon enough.

GhaleonQ said:
Is S.N.K. doing anything for the A.O.U. arcade show this month?

I'd like to hear anything regarding this too, for that matter. Last I heard, it was about those "Final Editions" for 98UM and 02UM. Anything actually new would definitely be appreciated...

Shadow Red said:
Now the question is...how long do we wait for the console version?
Post summer 2011 console release in the U.S.

So alot of time. I just hope it isn't realted to the money problems the have/had.

Imagine the delay and it still has garbage netcode, no spectator etc.

GrayFoxPL

kdash7 said:
Any new updates guys? SNKP should give us a console release date already -_-

Yeah! SNKP and Sega joined forces and will be releasing KOFXIII/VF5:FS Bundle with GGPO online and for half a price. Preorder bonuses include Terry's FF hat and Akira's headband soaked in real sweat that will surely get you laid the moment you put them on.

Those games are never coming out on consoles, stop waiting. :|

Top Bottom