• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King Of Fighters XIII + Steam Edition |OT| Now on Steam with Improved Netcode!

Onemic

You shouldn‘t judge the characters by their trials though, they can be needlessly complicated even in their low levels.

Oh so the trial combo's aren't necessary?(Sorta like the SFIV trials?) Where can I find lists of basic BnB combo's and how can I find out which characters would suit me best? Terry and Robert felt great when playing through trial mode, but I guess my 3rd character is completely up in the air. I initially wanted to learn either K', Iori, Kyo, Ralph, Maxima, Ash, or Mai, but all their trials were ridiculously hard on the first level alone so I just gave up.

notworksafe

K' is a beast but he needs a lot of execution. When in doubt I always say GO MAI!!

5bpgB.gif

Oh so the trial combo's aren't necessary?(Sorta like the SFIV trials?) Where can I find lists of basic BnB combo's and how can I find out which characters would suit me best? Terry and Robert felt great when playing through trial mode, but I guess my 3rd character is completely up in the air. I initially wanted to learn either K', Iori, Kyo, Ralph, Maxima, Ash, or Mai, but all their trials were ridiculously hard on the first level alone so I just gave up.

Don't give up(you should give on the trials, though), Mai is one of the easier characters. You should go to the SRK or the Dreamcancel wikis if you want BNBs.

I do think you should give Kyo another go, his basic stuff is not too hard and gets you good damage (something into qcf+D->rdp+Bxxair Orochinagi->hcb+K in the corner for example)

Onemic

I do think you should give Kyo another go, his basic stuff is not too hard and gets you good damage (something into qcf+D->rdp+Bxxair Orochinagi->hcb+K in the corner for example)

I'll try him again. So far I've slightly narrowed it down to Kyo, Mai, Andy, Iori, Maxima, and Ralph. I would love to learn K' but I guess since he's high execution I'll leave him out until I learn the ins and outs of the game.

Are there any good streams of KOF XIII casuals or tourneys? Twitch never seems to be streaming any KOF stuff unless it's a big tourney and KOF just happens to be one of the games included.

I'll try him again. So far I've slightly narrowed it down to Kyo, Mai, Andy, Iori, Maxima, and Ralph. I would love to learn K' but I guess since he's high execution I'll leave him out until I learn the ins and outs of the game.

Are there any good streams of KOF XIII casuals or tourneys? Twitch never seems to be streaming any KOF stuff unless it's a big tourney and KOF just happens to be one of the games included.

The runback is tonight I think. Why don't you look up some youtube videos?

Edgeward

Levelup does the runback every thursday at 9 pdt. Iplaywinner does real honest sundays almost every sunday starting around 1 pdt. And local battles is usually streaming on saturday nights for kof, casuals or tournaments.

Levelup does the runback every thursday at 9 pdt. Iplaywinner does real honest sundays almost every sunday starting around 1 pdt. And local battles is usually streaming on saturday nights for kof, casuals or tournaments.

Word. its been also getting featured in tournaments more and more. Another note is that the Drive Cancel Tournament is next Saturday, and it looks like we'll have a solid turnout of east coast players for that. Tune in saturday and ask questions and myself and the others will answer with our thoughts as best as possible. Getting better at this as we go along

Edgeward

Yes, I will say that if you want a stream that will pay attention to the chat and answer questions, the Local Battles stream will have that covered. Marco or usually whoever is on the mic is willing to help.

Uraizen

Banned
Speaking of Climax Edition... is there a patch planned for the console version to add the fixes they made for the arcade version? I figured this would be the thread to ask.

Onemic

Can I unlock more colours through playing arcade/story mode? It's almost impossible to find a match online without me not filling some unknown conditiions.

Can I unlock more colours through playing arcade/story mode? It's almost impossible to find a match online without me not filling some unknown conditiions.

You can grind Versus mode with the CPU, will only count for non-random teams though. If you are on PSN, we can have some matches.

Grokbu

Wow at those KOF-i 2012 screens. Might not be anything, but perhaps these are hints on future characters?

Anyway, I found this one quite special.
yGhtX.png

GrayFoxPL

Got the game finally.

Awesomeness, though if it's the best kof ever I don't know, definitely one of the better ones in the series.

Online is laggy, but playable. Maybe no one is playing in Europe because it only finds red bars for me in manual search. In background search while playing arcade it did find some fights.

Music is awesome, good responsive controls and fast gameplay.

Things I don't like is lack of sprite filter options(kof12 and back had it wtf). My pixel art hurts.
Lack of Mr. Karate on Polish psn - fuck?!
And finally Saiki and sub-bosses didn't inherit the legendary hard-as-fuckiness from their predecessors. Easy as pie - sad.

Other then that - sweet!

Oh and kinda serious story mode.

i'm always up for KOF if you want to play, just send me a message. you have to build a friendlist of players if you want to keep playing and get better. i have about 3-5 players online playing KOF in the prime time.

Onemic

i'm always up for KOF if you want to play, just send me a message. you have to build a friendlist of players if you want to keep playing and get better. i have about 3-5 players online playing KOF in the prime time.

Are you on PSN? This would be a lot easier if there was a PSN/Live list of usernames in the OP. On another note, I really need to learn how to hop and hyper hop consistently. It's super hard right now.

rivals

"That bad" is pretty relative. It would be damned impressive for a delay based netcode to be playable from US to Europe. That said, the netcode for this game is subpar even by delay based standards. My matches vs a friend I get 50ms ping to feel underwater. It's "playable" but it doesn't feel right.

BadWolf

What does [brake] mean exactly? I've been working on Andy's BnB's from the the dream cancel wiki and that keeps coming up for his combos into supers.

The mechanic was first introduced in Mark of the Wolves, it lets you cancel the recovery on a specific special move and leaves the opponent in a juggle state for further comboing (SF4 incorporated it as well, think DP> FADC> special/ultra). Breaking doesn't require any meter to do though.

You can break Andy's hcf+K with B+D (do the move and hit BD the moment the first hit connects), in MOTW every character had a move that they could break but in XIII only Andy has one.

The mechanic was first introduced in Mark of the Wolves, it lets you cancel the recovery on a specific special move and leaves the opponent in a juggle state for further comboing (SF4 incorporated it as well, think DP> FADC> special/ultra). Breaking doesn't require any meter to do though.

You can break Andy's hcf+K with B+D (do the move and hit BD the moment the first hit connects), in MOTW every character had a move that they could break but in XIII only Andy has one.

Mr Karate also has one for his uppercut (as part of his movelist is based of Marco "Krushwood Butt" Rodriguez"

Onemic

Okay, got it. Seems like my team's gonna be Andy, Robert, and Terry as I have the easiest time using them, and they're very comfortable to play.(Tried using Shen, as he's supposed to be a low execution character, but his hop attacks seem to have much stricter timing than all the other characters I've tried out so far) I'm still really interested in using Iori, Kyo and especially K' though. What makes K' so hard to use? And is Iori hard to play?

BadWolf

Okay, got it. Seems like my team's gonna be Andy, Robert, and Terry as I have the easiest time using them, and they're very comfortable to play.(Tried using Shen, as he's supposed to be a low execution character, but his hop attacks seem to have much stricter timing than all the other characters I've tried out so far) I'm still really interested in using Iori, Kyo and especially K' though. What makes K' so hard to use? And is Iori hard to play?

K's not hard to use, well sure if you try to go for hard HD combos or stun combos like Bala then heavy execution is required but overall he's not a tough character to learn. He has solid specials and can do good damage for little meter. One of your main objectives as a K' user is to get your opponent in the corner, once there you can pretty much start bullying them. Crouching lows into Triggers are his best friends.

Regular Iori? Again a great character and does excellent damage off of very simple combos. A character based around speed and mixups with very very safe pressure. There's lots of great footage of him in action available via players like ChrisKOF, Bala etc.

N4Us

Spent time with Climax today. Really didn't notice any major changes, but who knows at the moment.

What I did, and some others here, noticed:

- Either Benimaru's Neomax or EX Lightning does more damage. Not sure which. I just did an EX into Neomax and it did chunkier damage that usual. Like maybe 60-90 more.
- Shen's st. C has less priority.
- Kyo's EX grab seems to do more damage.

Probably not too much otherwise. We will notice overtime though.

Coopa

Neo Member
I know this is pretty late, but KOF XIII will be the first tournament shown on stream later today at 1:00pm PST on www.twitch.tv/finestko

Before that, probably at around noon PST, Hellpockets and I will be having a FT10 for $100 money match on stream as well. the tournament features many games, but it's also a charity tournament. Any help by spreading the word or simply being a viewer would be awesome.

I know this is pretty late, but KOF XIII will be the first tournament shown on stream later today at 1:00pm PST on www.twitch.tv/finestko

Before that, probably at around noon PST, Hellpockets and I will be having a FT10 for $100 money match on stream as well. the tournament features many games, but it's also a charity tournament. Any help by spreading the word or simply being a viewer would be awesome.

I assume you'll be using Climax?

Onemic

K's not hard to use, well sure if you try to go for hard HD combos or stun combos like Bala then heavy execution is required but overall he's not a tough character to learn. He has solid specials and can do good damage for little meter. One of your main objectives as a K' user is to get your opponent in the corner, once there you can pretty much start bullying them. Crouching lows into Triggers are his best friends.

Regular Iori? Again a great character and does excellent damage off of very simple combos. A character based around speed and mixups with very very safe pressure. There's lots of great footage of him in action available via players like ChrisKOF, Bala etc.

Okay my team is officially Iori/Andy/Robert. All three feel great to use and I can see myself having a lot of fun learning them. I watched the cross counter guide on KOF and combofiend says the first thing to learn for a charter you're trying to use is their basic meterless bnb, followed by a combo into a super, and one HD combo. After you learn those 3 combo's you then begin learning movement and I guess combining that movement with combos?(ie running-hyper hop- meterless bnb or jumping crossup into combo super?)

And what exactly is the difference between Iori and EX Iori? Just the addition of zoning tools at the expense or some inside game?

N4Us

And what exactly is the difference between Iori and EX Iori? Just the addition of zoning tools at the expense or some inside game?

Claw is much more melee and based around chunky singular hits. EX has fireballs and older fundamentals.

Top Bottom