• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

Daimon's new OTG super being able to grab the opponent from the air after his command grab looks cool but the damage is pretty pathetic, especially with the regular DM. Definitely not worth burning the meter on unless the EX DM will result in a KO or something.

His new close standing HK doesn't cancel into anything but seems to leave him positive on block.

The range on his DP+HK grabs feels reduced. Needs to be kara'd with his light roll to connect in situations where it would connect raw in XIII. For example, standing HP into the grab no longer works unless you do the roll first.

I like doing a Haou Sho Kou Ken into CDM with Ryo, lol. It's like he's punching through the energy and opponent simultaneously to solidify the win. Looks like a trailer-ending screen transition...

Will try!

NeonZ

So I just did story mode on this, and who the heck is Verse? They gave him zero setup in the first play through. Does he have more going for him I didn't unlock?

The storyline of Nakoruru's team adds some extra scenes to the CG before the final battle that give some more detail about him, but not much. It's apparently a fusion of souls through space and time gathering due to some unknown factor. I haven't played with other story related teams yet though.

The OST is like half great and half booty IMO. Geese's stage (or whatever it is) is mediocre, but when his theme pops up, god damn.

Finaika

Hey, Nakoruru did see the well of souls that collected to form him! And other chara stories also drop hints and pieces through their endings. The real meat of his tale is told from actual combat. Look at his win quotes when he winds VS certain characters too.

He's honestly more of a set-up for things to come than a personal big deal, however.

So he's like Thanos?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The storyline of Nakoruru's team adds some extra scenes to the CG before the final battle that give some more detail about him, but not much. It's apparently a fusion of souls through space and time gathering due to some unknown factor. I haven't played with other story related teams yet though.

I think the general idea is
Shun'ei's growing psychic power resonates with fragments of Orochi mojo, which have come together into a physical being craving destruction. Verse is the Akuma to Shun'ei's Ryu. It's only the beginning of the new story arc, and there's hints that other dead characters may be revived as well. Pulled back by the vortex surrounding Verse.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do an Advanced Cancel or Super Cancel in the tutorial. Oddly enough, I was able to complete the Climax Cancel tutorial. Any advice on the timing of these?

Hey, Nakoruru did see the well of souls that collected to form him! And other chara stories also drop hints and pieces through their endings. The real meat of his tale is told from actual combat. Look at his win quotes when he winds VS certain characters too.

He's honestly more of a set-up for things to come than a personal big deal, however.

Who does Verse have special win quotes with and what do they say? I've only been able to see vs Mature/Vice and that was enough of a "wait wat oh shit"

So I got the premium edition. Still no PS4 to play it though :(

The book is really nice. It really feels like a standalone product and not just some bonus addon. Some thoughts:

-I wish they went with the Yuri hair design with extra volume and poof. I showed my sister, a big Yuri fan, and she pointed out the same exact design as her favorite!

-Seeing those alt designs for Mai make me sad. I think going with a new design would've been great (I like how they're actually DIFFERENT and not just short hair and black outfit like in Maximum Impact) but I think they were just too scared of the potential backlash. Speaking of MI, here's hoping we can have a selection of colors/outfits similar to MI2 eventually.

-Zarina's early design with cowboy hat would make for a great alt costume imo.

-Antonov's rough design looks like Ganondorf! :O

-I think my favorite bit about the art book is seeing the character expressions and models by Ogura. I'm in awe. Really cool to see things like Clark without his shades and Tung without facial hair.

I really like Leona, but without going into it too much not really a fan of how much jiggle she has going on here when she was always one of the more serious characters.

I said something along those lines a while back. It's not terrible, but her tanktop just looks too short IMO. Plus, looking at the design sketches compared to the final model, it looks like they added bigger cuts to give her more sideboob. I mean I don't want to sound like a prude, sideboob is hot, I just found it unnecessary. It almost feels like they wanted to make her more eye catching and I just don't think they needed to.

Dang, I really wish I'd opted for the Burn to Fight edition; that artbook sounds so amazing.

Are there any pics of Yuri and Zarina's pages out there? I wanna see the designs you folks were talking about :0

ExVicis

Alright, I just remember losing to him as K' and his win quote was "I am the original!" which confused the shit out of me.

Finaika

I said something along those lines a while back. It's not terrible, but her tanktop just looks too short IMO. Plus, looking at the design sketches compared to the final model, it looks like they added bigger cuts to give her more sideboob. I mean I don't want to sound like a prude, sideboob is hot, I just found it unnecessary. It almost feels like they wanted to make her more eye catching and I just don't think they needed to.

Women in the army show sideboobs all the time.

qcf x2

I'm digging Love Heart as a mid character, but maaaaaan her jump ins are complete garbage. The only character I've been disappointed by so far is Ralf. No tackle, no command grab, feels like he's missing something.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I must admit I'm impressed by SNK creating almost 20 new characters at once, and they're really great. Unique and don't feel (to me) as if they are re-skins of existing KoF characters.

The more I play the game the more it does feel like a labor of love within the limits of their current ability and budget. Even if the lighting is a bit flat, the meticulous detail on character outfits and fashion is genuinely impressive.

And wonders of wonders, a fighting game where every team has a home stage with theme, once more. Not insignificant for 16 teams plus two boss stages. Even Killer Instinct faltered there, in season 3.

Goddamn, these two suck at kayfabe

jEUoYWZ.jpg

yjAErno.jpg

Oh, and someone made a comparison of KoD speed after the patch to the one in the demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytFyEr2I0qs

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Why does this video not want to load for me... lol. Lot of Senpu-Ken Normal air fist spin I'm guessing? I tried messing with that kinda stuff yesterday... And I actually learned a smart way to do 2 dash punches in 1 MAX combo thanks to his tutorial, lol.

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to do an Advanced Cancel or Super Cancel in the tutorial. Oddly enough, I was able to complete the Climax Cancel tutorial. Any advice on the timing of these?

Here are the general rules of thumb:
- It's a level 1 super into a lvl 2. So the first one is with 1 button press, the next is with 2.
- There's generally a golden path; as is to say, it's one specific super into another super super. Most don't go the other way around, because the state the enemy / player chara is left in isn't optimal to combo.
- Unless it's a special case (like King being able to do her CDM in the air), you want to cancel when your characters feet are on the ground. So look for cancel points that make sense. Such as during long hitstun attacks (The uppercuts at the end of Ryo's Ryuko Ranbu), or during long phases of character being locked to the ground (The multi hit portion of Mian's Rangurenbu DM)

Who does Verse have special win quotes with and what do they say? I've only been able to see vs Mature/Vice and that was enough of a "wait wat oh shit"

I didn't wanna spoil it but..

Verse's winqoutes are the same from different characters from KOF. His winqoutes to K' is the one Krizalid says in 99.

Tsnooze on SRK shows most of his winqoutes: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/10961110#Comment_10961110

Yeah, there, lol. Verse is speaking as if he's the person that each of those characters had as enemies, friends, or family. Which means their souls are part of his collective.

So I got the premium edition. Still no PS4 to play it though :(

The book is really nice. It really feels like a standalone product and not just some bonus addon. Some thoughts:

-I wish they went with the Yuri hair design with extra volume and poof. I showed my sister, a big Yuri fan, and she pointed out the same exact design as her favorite!

It kinda annoys me that many modern people see poofy hair as over retro. Also, that kinda stuff doesn't animate all that well in games. Too many strikes against style I'll always like more, as I'm forever a fan of overly-poofy 80s/90s anime hair, lol.

-Seeing those alt designs for Mai make me sad. I think going with a new design would've been great (I like how they're actually DIFFERENT and not just short hair and black outfit like in Maximum Impact) but I think they were just too scared of the potential backlash. Speaking of MI, here's hoping we can have a selection of colors/outfits similar to MI2 eventually.

I can see why they don't want to mess with her; make her too different, and she might as well be Modern NotKyo another character. That said, I think it'd be great to introduce a few varities through DLC, and then make one of them the main for the next iteration, to kinda... ease in the feeling, and make it identifiable as something she wears.

-Antonov's rough design looks like Ganondorf! :O

-I think my favorite bit about the art book is seeing the character expressions and models by Ogura. I'm in awe. Really cool to see things like Clark without his shades and Tung without facial hair.

All agreed. Crazy poofy hair thing again, but hey, at least this isnt' TOO different from what they had to do for the Noodle Monster that is Sylvie!

Ganon'nov is a thing I wanna see!

It's kidna funny to see people paying attention to Leona now, who never cared before, heh. I feel like she's been on a quest through multiple games to open up a bit more, and I kinda like the mention the other day from either here or SRK, that she's kinda like the growingly attractive girl who hands around a bunch of dudes, so she doesn't really think much about it herself... even if everyone else is starting to notice.

She probably has one of my favorite silently-developing stories in KoF, being cursed with a power, doing horrible things with it, learning to control it so that she can tap into it, changing rank due to her actions... and now the events of this game should lead to another test for her.

I'm digging Love Heart as a mid character, but maaaaaan her jump ins are complete garbage. The only character I've been disappointed by so far is Ralf. No tackle, no command grab, feels like he's missing something.

Few Notes about RALF:

- Dynamite Ralf punch now has Heavy D! like upper body invulnerability on start-up. If you land a counter hit VS someone, it also allows juggles afterwards! Normally this is with a Gattling attack or GALACTICA PHANTOM,
- his far A is cancellable into light Gatling attack for a combo at basically max range.
- Oddly enough, be can "Kara" his far C into Vulcan punches, and at the right range, this actually combos (o_O)
- Jet Upper Can be combo's intro from Cr. or Stand B up close, and from Close D. It also forces stand-state on ducking opponents. This is needed for EX RALF KIIIICK, which only hits right on those who stand.
- If you get a fully-in-corner CD on someone, Canceling into Ralf Impact A Restands (which can be linked out of with A->Gattling->Super), C causes a spinout.
- Canceling hop A into Dive Dive Bomber punch is STILL an overhead. DBPunch no longer hits OTG however.
- His Far C and Far D are both super-cancellable (o_O)
- EX GALACTICA PHANTOM has upper-body Guard point. Can actually use this as an anti-hop / jump strat, letting them hit you, and destroying them soon after.
- EX Ralf Kick also has large Start-up invuln, hops over lows, and sets up for combo into C Gattling attack.

In other weird "That's not how things normally WORK!" news, Vice can cancel her CD into her command normal. This is actually very nice, since she doesn't really have many other risk-less ways to cover herself out of it's use.

Xevren

Yea SAB, lots of air spinning. I don't really get why they're doing vids like that since you can just upload straight from the ps4.

Don't suppose anyones found any good max mode juggle stuff for kula? I feel like I'm not getting something or maybe she just doesn't have a lot she can do juggle wise.

DR2K

Banned
Elizabeth really should have been in this. She was an integral character in the last 2, such a glaring omission. There are just so many great characters to learn and play as that petty character complaints are just petty.

Elizabeth really should have been in this. She was an integral character in the last 2, such a glaring omission. There are just so many great characters to learn and play as that petty character complaints are just petty.

Without the Ash trilogy she didn't really have a plot reason to be around, imo. Not that that excuses half of the cast lol, but I at least understand her, Shen Woo and Duo Lon not being around to make XIV really feel like a new chapter. I would bet money that they'll all be back in XV, though, or in DLC if that's the route they go.

DR2K

Banned
Without the Ash trilogy she didn't really have a plot reason to be around, imo. Not that that excuses half of the cast lol, but I at least understand her, Shen Woo and Duo Lon not being around to make XIV really feel like a new chapter. I would bet money that they'll all be back in XV, though, or in DLC if that's the route they go.

I think DLC will be the obvious route, probably more costumes and colors though. It seems like the obvious thing with the PStore being accessible from the main menu. Which Id gladly pay for.

My copy of the game got delivered to the office today.

ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ

Now I just gotta make it through this last hour of work before I can head home and play it!

Loona

Managed to play last night, not because my copy arrived, but because I stayed up late to see the digital version unlock and then finish installing. Played through the Another World team's story mode, and as expected, that contained at least one nugget of info that may be relevant, as Nako mentions as Verse appears that some event in the past appears to have damaged time and space in this (KoF's) world - likely refers to the XIII ending and how KoF's been running on comic book time, not to mention stuff like the SS and LB cameos in past games.

I honestly wonder if Antonov's presence and claims of being the original KoF chamption play into this somehow, as being from some alternate timeline merged into KoF's or something - then again, Mui Mui's victory quote against him implies he gave himself the title... I still suspect all the focus SNK is giving him might play into some story developments for future games, related to the acknowledged space-time mess.

His design and general style, basically that of a big guy with very strong but also mostly grounded techniques, does bring to mind an older kind of fighting games before more fantastic anime influences seeped into the genre (think Abobo from Double Dragon - or looking into SNK's specific old game catalog, something like Street Smart bosses), which may be an intentional call back, and who knows if that'll turn out to be story relevant somehow.

So he's like Thanos?

He's more of an "I am Legion" thing, as an amalgamation of the departed - I'd say "this is a job for the Ghostbusters", but SNK has a perfectly competent exorcist in Fatal Fury's Sokaku, but so far his only KoF appearances have been as stage cameos (96, 97 and 2002, IIRC).

The book is really nice. It really feels like a standalone product and not just some bonus addon.

Udon's, right? artbooks seem like a major part of their business nowadays, and I hope a standalone version of the book becomes available eventually for the rest of not not in the Americas.

I think I saw a photo of that page, and I liked how at least one of the outfits went for the kind of traditional Japanese look that Mai seems to identify heavily with - it was, however, dwarfed by the about of revealing anime ninja outfits, which might mean those other models could be far more likely DLC candidates...
I did like her short hair alternate in MI2 though.

Hmmm... Soiree reference to MI, since he's supposed to use a form of capoeira too?...

And the funny thing about Verse quoting Krizalid is that Krizalid was wrong - dead but none the wiser...

Edit:
Just found this amazing Antonov vs Nako quote on the previously mentioned SRK.com thread:
"That hawk is powerless! I’m authorizing you to use a bear!"
Antonov conformed as the superior Russian strongman, willing to take on a bear AND an opponent with a lethal weapon at the same time. It would be neat to see Nako bring her wolf too, but that rarely happens in any game IIRC only Gal Fighters for the NGPC had her use both at the same time in some capacity.

Sigurd2990

Neo Member
Played this for a little bit yesterday and I liked what I played of it. The gameplay is fast and the combos feel good to execute. It is a little simpler than KOFXIII. The graphics are still bad but once I started playing I quickly got over it

I also tried Party VS as suggested and it was playable. I can't wait to play some more today. I only tried Mai and Nelson. Plan to try out the new characters today

yagal

OK I got money in the bank :))

I need some recommendations, help me decide between these 2

Venom Arcade Stick 85,78 €
Hori Real Arcade Pro. 4 Kai 166,02 €

(I have the Fighting Stick Mini 3 Hori)

I think th time space fuckery won't explain the comic book ages thing, but it will allow for more characters. I actually think Anton is annoying as a character and I'm not feeling his game plan as much. He very well could be the original KOF champ, but he doesn't seem all that strong compared to people like Kyo, Rugal, or Shun.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yea SAB, lots of air spinning. I don't really get why they're doing vids like that since you can just upload straight from the ps4.

Don't suppose anyones found any good max mode juggle stuff for kula? I feel like I'm not getting something or maybe she just doesn't have a lot she can do juggle wise.

Ahh, finally got to see it, it's as I surmised! LoL, thanks for the confirm! I've no idea either... I could understand if it was the recordless arcade mode?

And for Kula, I checked because you asked, and all I could come up with was (in Corner) (HK*1 hit*,Command normal)x2 due to MAX activate, EX Diamond Breath, (run in), EX Counter Shell, EX Crow Bites. This topped out at 401 damage, without any DMs or such in there.

She doesn't have the KuruKuru Lay spin craziness of older games, and Counter Shell doesn't have that old Hard Knockdown trick. And her supers aren't great for comboing into, since enemies fall out of a lot of the damage. I guess they figure her basic B&B of (Far.C,LK Ray Spin->Ray Spin(sit), HP Crow Bites) doing nearly 300 meterless damage, even at mid screen, is quite enough, heh.

I like 'betty... but yeah, she can take a break. XI, XII, and XIII were a lot of time for them to mess with her character, and she got more limelight than Oswald or Adelheid, for sure.

That said, I'd love to see them add a team with her (and 2 others) and have that be the bridging story to XV, via XIV DLC. A 14.5 epilogue that raises anticipation to the next game would be fun, and would let them start the next game in a later point of time.

I honestly wonder if Antonov's presence and claims of being the original KoF chamption play into this somehow, as being from some alternate timeline merged into KoF's or something - then again, Mui Mui's victory quote against him implies he gave himself the title... I still suspect all the focus SNK is giving him might play into some story developments for future games, related to the acknowledged space-time mess.

He seems like an honest enough guy, enough that I hope his story is a bit more than just him grandstanding. I also like the rather Krauser-like moves he has in his jumping HK (Leg TOMAHAWK!) and his forward throw (much like Krausers Lift throw).

His design and general style, basically that of a big guy with very strong but also mostly grounded techniques, does bring to mind an older kind of fighting games before more fantastic anime influences seeped into the genre (think Abobo from Double Dragon - or looking into SNK's specific old game catalog, something like Street Smart bosses), which may be an intentional call back, and who knows if that'll turn out to be story relevant somehow.

Hopefully so. He's just a big guy who powers through everything. And he has 2 target combos! I'm glad to see someone with some new ones, as I think it's a nice mechanic to compliment command normals, while also enforcing his brute strength gameplay.

Marvel

could never
Hopefull that's only because it came out this morning. I'm looking to get it soon but if the EU only number are not good...
Yeah it's early, but if it dies quickly I'll be so sad. Game is hella fun and a welcome break from SFV.

Ban Puncher

I don't know how to use the Classic Kyo DLC. I have it downloaded but I don't see anyway to use it.

Am I just being really dumb?

OmegaDL50

Wow, he got like 60% damage off one bar before proceeding to the supers.

Nice corner combo.

Although it seems strange some people do off screen cam footage on PS4 when share button exists.

I mean sure outside of Events like E3 or Demos which don't allow recording with share button,

For retail / home copies of the game don't make sense to not use share button especially since you can directly upload videos to Twitter, which the creator of that vid ended up doing anyways. Could have saved himself a few steps.

Astarte

Connect your stick, go to options and you should see a legacy controller option, check it and it should work right away.
Works wonders with my Qanba Q4

Thanks!

Also after playing a bit of KoF with Georgia's best I can safely say that I learned a ton of stuff. I never knew you could link MuiMui's fD -> 2A -> whatever conversion (usually 236D), that'll be incredibly handy.

Pompadour

Is there any guide or primer that's good out there for Nelson? He's the character I want to focus on but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around his moveset. Considering I'm still getting the hang of KOFXIV in general it would be easier if I could just be told "here's what you want to do with Nelson" instead of figuring it out on my own.

Amedo310

Button Config on versus might be bugged. Somehow when me and my opponent change our buttons during character selection, the game switches our configurations. It happened twice. Seems like the best way to change buttons is in match.

Loona

It might be folly, but I think there may be reason to Xanadu's apparent nonsense, even if it's just him gone rambling mad from somehow perceiving the dimensional/space-time stuff going in in this new story arc.

Apparently his victory quote against Nakoruru is "Teach me your process!", which would make sense in that light, considering Nakoruru gathered her team from their respective dimensions, so she somehow knows how to move between them...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Button Config on versus might be bugged. Somehow when me and my opponent change our buttons during character selection, the game switches our configurations. It happened twice. Seems like the best way to change buttons is in match.

This happened in the tournament build too, apparently this bug wasn't squashed. Oda apparently responds to Bug Reports on Facebook (?!), as he noted the Geese 0-meter-use bug there, soo...

It might be folly, but I think there may be reason to Xanadu's apparent nonsense, even if it's just him gone rambling mad from somehow perceiving the dimensional/space-time stuff going in in this new story arc.

Apparently his victory quote against Nakoruru is "Teach me your process!", which would make sense in that light, considering Nakoruru gathered her team from their respective dimensions, so she somehow knows how to move between them...

We keep thinking about this being a KOF thing... but what if SNK is using the multiverse theory to legitimize the connection between these universes in all the games they bring out for now? Imagine Xanadu learning Naka's process, and transporting himself into a new Metal Slug or such... or if Whip ended up in a Samurai Shodown world, and had to fend for herself with older, rustic weapons, Ivy-style?

Leona is awesome. My favorite character.

Leona da Bess! Though Zarina has found a place in my heart, as well. I don't like putting them on the same team, as they're both instant meter-hogs for me, as I'm now pretty comfortable with confirming into DAMAGE with both of them...

My god, Roberts trial combos was hype af!

Mr. Garcia always brings the stylish hype. I'm glad if he gets some love in this game, I felt bad for him throughout all of XIII, lol. Keeping his command grab is something I agree with quite a lot.

Top Bottom