• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

stn

This might just be my favorite KOF game ever. With that said, I need some help. Looking for someone experienced to tell me the following:

Top 5 pzoners.
Top 5 rushdown.
Top 5 easiest to learn.
Top 5 hardest to learn.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C7FNT7QV4AENSin.jpg:orig

Also: A tourney!

------

His animation/mannerism is more yakuza like compared to his 2D version.

SNK riding the releases of Sega's Yakuza series, lol. Yakuza 0's Beast style in full effect! ;-)

Very much agreed, though XIV has been pretty good in this regard since it already has Mature, Luong, Vice, Love Heart etc. I think Zarina might count as well? With Vanessa being in all we need now is Shermie.

But yeah, the more mature ladies the better.

Yup, SNK does it best. Makes me think about how I'd like NOT to see Mary back in KoF, if it meant her next appearance was a bit older and wiser in a Fatal Fury continuation.

I dunno about Zarina in this case, but she definitely not a Malin or Hinako! I find myself missing her whenever I'm playing SFV, lol. V's DLC costumes and personalities keep making me feel as if the characters aren't very self-aware, and as if their personalities are compromised for the sake of monetization or easy DLC money.

Lame, the guy seriously couldn't wait for a week?

Gotta get them clicks/follows I guess.

Either way, Vanessa being in was expected and pretty damn awesome. I've been waiting forever for her and Angel to come back so XIV got me covered.

Looking forward to seeing her in motion and her move set.

I like how everyone on SRK has jumped on the classic "LoL she looks Bad!" train. I feel like the exact same would have been said for Whip or Yama if we saw them in a weird pose before their full trailer releases. Hopefully the truth comes out next week, anyway.

Hyun Sai

I get the feeling those DLC characters will be pretty wild balance wise and they may do a minor balance patch few months later ah ah ah.

I may be wrong ^^

Loona

This might just be my favorite KOF game ever. With that said, I need some help. Looking for someone experienced to tell me the following:

No real competitive experience, as I play at a somewhat casual level, but since nobody else has replied so far...

Top 5 pzoners.

Athena, King, Billy and Verse come to mind.

Top 5 rushdown.

Kim and Iori tend to be popular at this.

Top 5 easiest to learn.

Robert has a bit of everything, he generally seems like a good starting point.

Top 5 hardest to learn.

Angel and Nelson come to mind at once, since their styles are so specific to them.

Then there are a few more character with certain features with tell them apart from others in somewhat major ways, like Ryo with his parries, but it's debatable how hard they are to learn if you don't focus all that much on those specific elements of their gameplay.

BadWolf

Top 5 pzoners.
Top 5 rushdown.
Top 5 easiest to learn.
Top 5 hardest to learn.

1. Andy, Athena, Robert, King and Mai. Meitenkun can hang with them as well.
2. Iori, Leona, Benimaru, Luong and K'.
3. Terry, King, Kula, Andy and Muimui. Many more can go in this category tbh, a lot of the cast is easy to learn.
4. Angel, Nelson, Mian, Kukri and Chang.

Yup, SNK does it best. Makes me think about how I'd like NOT to see Mary back in KoF, if it meant her next appearance was a bit older and wiser in a Fatal Fury continuation.

I dunno about Zarina in this case, but she definitely not a Malin or Hinako! I find myself missing her whenever I'm playing SFV, lol. V's DLC costumes and personalities keep making me feel as if the characters aren't very self-aware, and as if their personalities are compromised for the sake of monetization or easy DLC money.

Agreed on Mary, my personal hope is that the next time we see her she is rocking that new design of her's (which matches Terry's MOTW outfit).

Zarina seems to be a nice middle ground, she's nice and sunny but at the same time doesn't look or feel too young.

I like how everyone on SRK has jumped on the classic "LoL she looks Bad!" train. I feel like the exact same would have been said for Whip or Yama if we saw them in a weird pose before their full trailer releases. Hopefully the truth comes out next week, anyway.

Yep, the typical hate train. I'm sure she'll look great in motion, can't wait to see what her moves, DMs and CDM are like. Wonder if she will get any new Rick Strowd references and if she'll get a new VA, really liked the previous one personally. And of course, it would be great if she got an interaction with Ramon.

I get the feeling those DLC characters will be pretty wild balance wise and they may do a minor balance patch few months later ah ah ah.

I may be wrong ^^

There are already well over 10 characters that are considered high tier and are used at tournaments regularly.

Wouldn't mind another four being added to that list :p

Hyun Sai

4. Angel, Nelson, Mian, Kukri and Chang.

I would put Bandeiras in the Top 5 though..

There are already well over 10 characters that are considered high tier and are used at tournaments regularly.

Wouldn't mind another four being added to that list :p

We don't want them to be much more busted than the current top tiers to avoid the "Pay to win" situation of Karate and cie in KoF XIII lol

BadWolf

So... this happened.

We don't want them to be much more busted than the current top tiers to avoid the "Pay to win" situation of Karate and cie in KoF XIII lol

lol true, though to be fair the KOF dev team was disbanded after the console release of XIII so they couldn't do any balancing even if they wanted to.

XIV's balance is solid overall but one more balance patch wouldn't hurt, hopefully it gets one after the DLC characters release like you said.

So... this happened.

lol true, though to be fair the KOF dev team was disbanded after the console release of XIII so they couldn't do any balancing even if they wanted to.

XIV's balance is solid overall but one more balance patch wouldn't hurt, hopefully it gets one after the DLC characters release like you said.

What I expect is a few months of letting the DLC characters rock as released possibly including at EVO bar any serious issues. Some time after that the arcade release hits and turns out to be an updated version balance-wise that we'll get as an update on console.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C7SkrFEVsAEs--e.jpg:orig

C7ZwKIFVAAAHrcj.jpg:orig

Can one of these pictures have a special release pricing announcement and roadmap of dates? Because I'd be up for that, too.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

ch-new.gif~c200
...... ......
16123001_1423077451050045_1733547975755431936_n.jpg
...... .....
f5f.gif
.... .... Oh, and by the way:

The new CG Animation Series "THE KING OF FIGHTERS: DESTINY" has been announced! #KOF
http://kofd.snkchina.com.cn

Nice to see G-Mantle telling the world. In case anyone doubted this would eventually be a world-wide thing. (Fersis just wants to know where Iori is, though! ;-) )

BadWolf

Hawtness aside, what struck me is how legit she looks. Even the hair and the face, she looks really close to Leona's XIV in game model/portrait.

Oh, and by the way:

Nice to see G-Mantle telling the world. In case anyone doubted this would eventually be a world-wide thing. (Fersis just wants to know where Iori is, though! ;-) )

Good to hear confirmation of it being a series, it makes so much more sense for an IP with this many characters. Guessing the Fatal Fury focused arc will be first. Wonder how long each ep will be, normal anime size or short weekly vids. Oh and also curious if the anime is still happening, the studio that was said to be working on it is apparently different from the one that made this CG series.

Still, some funky stuff seems to be going on on that site. They didn't use straight up text so we can't use google translate but it seems that Yuri's nationality is listed as Japanese there while Ryo is mentioned as American? Ryo is also listed as the same age as Daimon...

Either way, guess this is the Chinese company's first move towards their cross media plans for SNK's IPs, which they talked about when they bought them.

Overhead is a move that most be blocked standing because it hits crouch blocking opponents.

KnowledgeIsPower.jpg

It seems all my moves were whiffing because I tried attacking more so on top of the enemy if not behind em. now i know.

Im basically as good, if not better than, Reynald with this new knowledge

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C7cqp7aV0AA6F1z.jpg:orig

C7fKtfEVAAAECOO.jpg:orig

Hawtness aside, what struck me is how legit she looks. Even the hair and the face, she looks really close to Leona's XIV in game model/portrait.

Yup, has that nice, sharp, serious look. Kensou always says she's scary in his winquotes VS her, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I always felt one of the strengths of the Shinkiro direct and inspired arts for the series were that it gave characters an odd familiarity. Close enough to feel kinda real, far enough to feel at home slinging flames and psycho balls. It always seems to make KOF and other SNK series endure as popular cosplay choices, even at times when their games and company might not have been.

Good to hear confirmation of it being a series, it makes so much more sense for an IP with this many characters. Guessing the Fatal Fury focused arc will be first. Wonder how long each ep will be, normal anime size or short weekly vids. Oh and also curious if the anime is still happening, the studio that was said to be working on it is apparently different from the one that made this CG series.

No idea what to expect yet, but I'm set up at thinking like... 20 3 minute episodes or such, like "Another Day" was? I never took the "anime" part of the announcement too heavily (CG, hand drawn, anything other than live action seemed feasible), so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the project shifted some. But if we get too many disconnected threads, I wonder if that strengthens the brand, or dilutes it due to inconsistency? We'll see...

KnowledgeIsPower.jpg

It seems all my moves were whiffing because I tried attacking more so on top of the enemy if not behind em. now i know.

Hope to see you in tourney finals, then! ;-) Speaking of:

Announcement: a KOF XIV tournament has been announced. We look forward for your participation!: https://t.co/zbVyPAMBA4

It's kinda nice to see SNK announcing any and everything that people are running.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Whip Gameplay Video

Reassuring to see these jump arcs and run speed.

Oooo, thanks for bringing it to attention!

Still don't see her old Crouch C, maybe that's the far range sweep she has here? ('d prefer for her to have it, and that sweep be a command normal)

Good to see her double cl.B -> Boomerang looks as reliable as ever. I love the face she made when she beat Ralf with that SDM:

C7f0zINXgAArVF0.jpg

Guess that's payback for his "Sexual Harassment" in the Ikari ending, lol.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
These characters won't be a team right? Because it'd be really odd if Yamazaki and Whip are teamed together.

Makes me wonder if the last one really is Shingo. Also the characters aren't free right?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
These characters won't be a team right? Because it'd be really odd if Yamazaki and Whip are teamed together.

Makes me wonder if the last one really is Shingo. Also the characters aren't free right?

Most likely not a team.

Characters aren't free, we know Whip at least is $5.99 USD (which was apparently incorrectly tweeted and emailed out as $4.99 first). She comes out on April 5th. They haven't set a date or price for Yamazaki yet.

The new stages are apparently free, however.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Most likely not a team.

Characters aren't free, we know Whip at least is $5.99 USD (which was apparently incorrectly tweeted and emailed out as $4.99 first). She comes out on April 5th. They haven't set a date or price for Yamazaki yet.

The new stages are apparently free, however.
Ah I see, fair enough I suppose.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
A new DLC character is going to be revealed soon! Stay tuned!! #KOFXIV #KOF14
LINK

Vanessa reveal today?

BadWolf

Time for some BODY, BODY, BODY, UPPA?!

That new Whip sweep hits from like half a screen away o_O

KnowledgeIsPower.jpg

Unless you are planning to hit someone out of the air, doing a jump-in normal early is a bad habit in general went it comes to fighting games. It's even more dangerous in XIV since ppl will just crouch and mash a light normal on your landing to nail you with a quick max combo. Definitely spend some time landing deep jump-ins in practice mode.

Generally speaking all jump-ins will hit crouchers aside from jump CD (HP+HK). Those can be blocked crouching. Some characters have command normals and specials which let them hit crouch blockers while on the ground (such as Kim's forward+LK). Mai had such a command normal in some previous KOFs iirc but doesn't in XIV.

Oh and now I know who to put my money on at Evo.

I always felt one of the strengths of the Shinkiro direct and inspired arts for the series were that it gave characters an odd familiarity. Close enough to feel kinda real, far enough to feel at home slinging flames and psycho balls. It always seems to make KOF and other SNK series endure as popular cosplay choices, even at times when their games and company might not have been.

Very much agreed, Shinkiro's style is just so iconic. I keep hoping that we will get some new art from him for SNK but it seems that won't be happening anytime soon since he has been a Capcom employee for quite a while now :(

On the bright side, SNK got Neo_G in exchange :p

Do we know how much SNK rakes in with all the neogeo classics on all the major platforms? I know, or i think, theyre not the ones who port them over rather its some other company correct?

Im curious how much its helping with brand awareness. They seem to have garnered a lotta goodwill with xiv

BadWolf

New KOF Destiny details.

The first 20 eps are just season 1, they have more planned.

Sounds like the first season will be focused around Fatal Fury's story and will connect its timeline with KOF's.

Will be released online in both Chinese and Japanese. Here's hoping the JP VA's are from the game.

Beckx

that really sucks for them. i don't normally care about "spoiled marketing" but SNK is so small and doing lots of things right, so all in all i'd rather see their plans go well for them.

but

but

ROCK

Pompadour

I'd settle for him actually covering the game - zero mentions of the DLC characters so far, as far as his video list is concerned these past few weeks...

I imagine he'll do a reaction video to Rock's trailer as, I believe, he's his favorite SNK character period.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mi nombre es Fersis and IM LEGIT SHOOK!!!

Amedo310

I mean.

I guess.

I wanted Shingo though.

Same here.

If it is really Rock, I hope he has better move set. No need to bring back 270-360 input for his breakable throw. If it does come in, it would be the only move with that input like that in the game. HCF input for his throw would be cool. Man, I have he gets a better ex-fireball than Geese's. Make it crumble the opponent.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
C7mRJ3GVsAAYvIJ.jpg:orig

C7pQENZUwAIhhsM.jpg:orig

Yeah, I can't wait for the Nelson / Vanessa matchup fun either, lol. I've never been GREAT with her, but I'm definitely willing to try again, if only for this simple, shallow reason!

BadWolf

Damn that Vanessa v. Nelson shot looks hype.

Vanessa for top tier pls.

Same here.

If it is really Rock, I hope he has better move set. No need to bring back 270-360 input for his breakable throw. If it does come in, it would be the only move with that input like that in the game. HCF input for his throw would be cool. Man, I have he gets a better ex-fireball than Geese's. Make it crumble the opponent.

KOF's equivalent of the 360 seems to be HCB+fwd, I could see them giving him that.

I'm really curious to see his move list and if they will do anything different with it because it was fine in Garou but it overlaps quite a bit with characters in XIV (Shun, Terry, Geese).

Top Bottom