• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

May want to ask Gato Ray on twitter, he mentioned having issues with half circle motions.

Also, one of the users replying to him said:

Yeah, that is specifically what we were testing as most reports said the same thing.

Seems that there was an issue for users doing the commands extremely quickly, which we were having trouble testing. No one in the office plays on KB!

We had programmers both at SNK and AG dig into the code and they found a way to improve the situation with the last patch. Seems like most issues on KB are fixed now and we will be looking into any lingering problems next week.

The online situation should have improved substantially now as well.

BadWolf

Yeah, that is specifically what we were testing as most reports said the same thing.

Seems that there was an issue for users doing the commands extremely quickly, which we were having trouble testing. No one in the office plays on KB!

We had programmers both at SNK and AG dig into the code and they found a way to improve the situation with the last patch. Seems like most issues on KB are fixed now and we will be looking into any lingering problems next week.

The online situation should have improved substantially now as well.

Damn, you guys are working fast.

Is the beta still available after preordering? Also what's accessible in the beta and what's locked out?

It's available for pre-ordering till the game releases.

Pretty much the whole game is accessible in the beta, including online play and story mode. You just can't save.

Rhapsody

Banned
Damn, you guys are working fast.

It's available for pre-ordering till the game releases.

Pretty much the whole game is accessible in the beta, including online play and story mode. You just can't save.

Thanks. Gonna grab the deluxe probably tonight.

Fuz

Banned
Just tried it.
A few impressions.
Overall the game is really, really good. Smooth, fast, good new characters (mostly - and maybe too many new) and the same old great KoF gameplay.
Things I don't like:
- Commands seem a little more unresponsive than XIII (which was exceptional), I sometimes - yet rarely - get a motion wrong. Pretty much never happened with XIII.
- the new Iori's laugh is atrocious. The old one was fantastic, why the hell didn't they keep it?
- Most of the stages aren't that nice. Wish we were back to '95 style...

And worst of all...

- Character models are crap. Plain and simple. Animations are ok, but the models and the skins are atrocious.

Need to test more.

Edit: Oh god, Nelson's "bionic" arm is always the farthest from the screen. Why, SNK? WHY? It's not even 2D!

- Character models are crap. Plain and simple. Animations are ok, but the models and the skins are atrocious.

I disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPKwPv9fw0

Anyways, I just found this

qzIKo3X.png

Rhapsody

Banned
Any Venessa players here? Since I have my own copy on Steam, been getting her routes down from Frionel's video. Trying to get the combo down in this section: https://youtu.be/Etr0Ji393tY?t=241

My issue is not getting the final hit on the EX at 4:10. Not sure why it's not connecting since that part of the route is the same as her usual corner activation combo, but the final hit just doesn't connect. Was wondering if it was a weird Steam thing or I'm missing something. If I replicate that section of the combo with stCD BC stD into etc, even that's fine. It just won't connect if I'm doing the double activation combo for some reason.

Edit: nvm, now I know what I was doing wrong.

Rhapsody

Banned
Steam port's nice so far for the most part. Having issues trying to get it to stay at 60 fps on various stages though. Tried messing with the ingame config along with the Nvidia control panel, but still some issues. Playing SFV on 720p with medium settings, I don't get any drops. 720p on here on my laptop, I do. :(

Edit: Oh well, it's good enough to not impact my play. Just doesn't feel as smooth at times. Might just be a little off.

BadWolf

KulaGuns made her way into the game.

This meme is really taking off (it even made its tournament debut at Combo Breaker this weekend), wonder what SNK thinks of it (I'm guessing at this point they have to be aware of it). They should definitely consider doing something with it in the actual game or in the future, like how they incorporated Vanessa's infinite into her Climax DM.

Speaking of Vanessa, various top players have started putting together tier lists for v.2.00 and a lot of them seem to consider her as bottom tier.

Generally speaking they seem to agree that the game is well balanced, most of the cast falls into the high to strong tier category. Beni, Kula and Iori definitely need some adjusting though.

Btw, those who didn't catch it should watch the top 8 from Combo Breaker this weekened, it was so so good. Can't wait to see how these guys do against international competition at Evo.

Steam port's nice so far for the most part. Having issues trying to get it to stay at 60 fps on various stages though. Tried messing with the ingame config along with the Nvidia control panel, but still some issues. Playing SFV on 720p with medium settings, I don't get any drops. 720p on here on my laptop, I do. :(

Edit: Oh well, it's good enough to not impact my play. Just doesn't feel as smooth at times. Might just be a little off.

I've heard others mention this issue as well, here's hoping they are working on fixes.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ah, I see. Here's hoping it irons out any leftover issues. My specs for my laptop are

Processor: Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 16 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 950M

Should be enough to run it without any hiccups, but I guess I'll just have my fingers crossed that they can smooth everything out. If it gets too out of hand for me, I might try to see if I can get a Steam refund and just pick up the PS4 copy. It's just that Steam+DLC is so convenient.

Not too surprised on Venessa's placement in this engine. She's a fun sub though, and her stun combos aren't too hard. Only issue I have is the double DP+C at the very end. Going to pick up more subs later this week. Probably Billy first, since I have ET footage I can look over.

lupinko

Just tried it.
A few impressions.
Overall the game is really, really good. Smooth, fast, good new characters (mostly - and maybe too many new) and the same old great KoF gameplay.
Things I don't like:
- Commands seem a little more unresponsive than XIII (which was exceptional), I sometimes - yet rarely - get a motion wrong. Pretty much never happened with XIII.
- the new Iori's laugh is atrocious. The old one was fantastic, why the hell didn't they keep it?
- Most of the stages aren't that nice. Wish we were back to '95 style...

And worst of all...

Need to test more.

Edit: Oh god, Nelson's "bionic" arm is always the farthest from the screen. Why, SNK? WHY? It's not even 2D!

The models are fine, the recent lighting update made them look nicer but the game can use another shader update. The actual character animation is very good and the characters themselves animate as beautifully as the previous 2D games. There isn't that stilted feel like Rumblefish or SF4, stupid Dimps.

Nelson's bionic arm changes because it's tied to 2D game design, if you are going to bitch about that then bitch about Baiken's moving eyepatch and grappling hook arm, because hey Xrd ain't 2D either with your claims.

If you want them to change then you're going to get stupid NRS shenanigans with pointless stance changes.

Rhapsody

Banned
Something I never got around doing, but how do you guys confirm off of counterhit air CDs? What's the common cue people use? Just eyeing where counterhit message appears whenever you attempt a CD?

BadWolf

Something I never got around doing, but how do you guys confirm off of counterhit air CDs? What's the common cue people use? Just eyeing where counterhit message appears whenever you attempt a CD?

Early builds of the game had the announcers say "counter!" out loud every time any counter hit happened, though hilarity ensued due to how often it would happen and people started calling the game King of Counters. Needless to say SNK removed that in later builds.

But yeah, people just look for the counter message unless they know a counter will occur (like if you hit a grappler during their command grab animation). It can be tough to look out for in the heat of a fight, even tournament players often don't take advantage of counter hits properly, but it's definitely something that will net you a lot of extra damage if you can stay aware.

The best way to practice this is to set counter hits to occur randomly in training mode.

BadWolf

Another patch has been released for the Steam beta.

An interesting bit is that they added new filters for matchmaking (Default, Near, Far, or Worldwide), from Gato Ray:

Changed online match making option Default/Worldwide = KOR, JPN, USA, FRA, CHN etc.

Close = KOR, JPN * I have no idea about "FAR"

Does this bypass the silly region filter they introduced previously? Really hope they patch this into the console version as well if so.

Is that you Dino?

lol, nice.

tzare

i've started to play the game online a bit, and i am getting slaughtered :(

I still play as if i was playing SFII, do not use the power bars and cancels at all, just basic movements, so now(about level 15) i mostly fight more skilled players that they punish me with those endless (always the same tbh) combos that take more than half life bar once i make a mistake defending.

I want to improve but i don't know if i will be able to pull those movements,since i've never enjoyed that kind of gameplay. Any tutorials to try to learn a fewof them to stand a chance or at least being able to make my rivals sweat a bit??

BadWolf

Japanese Xanadu festival happening right now.

M' is also there. It is what it sounds like, they are playing party battle and all six characters are Xanadu.

i've started to play the game online a bit, and i am getting slaughtered :(

I still play as if i was playing SFII, do not use the power bars and cancels at all, just basic movements, so now(about level 15) i mostly fight more skilled players that they punish me with those endless (always the same tbh) combos that take more than half life bar once i make a mistake defending.

I want to improve but i don't know if i will be able to pull those movements,since i've never enjoyed that kind of gameplay. Any tutorials to try to learn a fewof them to stand a chance or at least being able to make my rivals sweat a bit??

Playing just ranked? Try casuals, you can play longer sets (and spend time learning and adjusting) instead of just worrying about winning single matches.

Which characters are you using? Can you do special moves and supers?

This tutorial introduces you to the basics of KOF (in general).

This is an advanced tactics tutorial for XIV.

A tutorial for anti-airing.

So you're not using meter at all? You don't have to do Max combos to do good damage, just super canceling will take you a long way.

If you aren't doing any supers right now and just sitting on meter then make sure to use it for defensive purposes (Guard Cancel Rolls and CD Blowback) to get you out of pressure. Also use it for raw Max activation to get access to EX moves, you will instantly become more dangerous this way since you'll be running around with access to powered up moves (which tends to make opponents play more cautiously and turtle).

I just bought and downloaded the game from Steam. Good news is, YAY I can finally play the game and it looks and plays great! Bad news is the beta doesn't let me stream to my SHIELD BOO!

I don't know if it's just my rustiness, I can't for the life of me Climax Cancel with Vanessa.

tzare

Japanese Xanadu festival happening right now.

M' is also there. It is what it sounds like, they are playing party battle and all six characters are Xanadu.

Playing just ranked? Try casuals, you can play longer sets (and spend time learning and adjusting) instead of just worrying about winning single matches.

Which characters are you using? Can you do special moves and supers?

This tutorial introduces you to the basics of KOF (in general).

This is an advanced tactics tutorial for XIV.

A tutorial for anti-airing.

So you're not using meter at all? You don't have to do Max combos to do good damage, just super canceling will take you a long way.

If you aren't doing any supers right now and just sitting on meter then make sure to use it for defensive purposes (Guard Cancel Rolls and CD Blowback) to get you out of pressure. Also use it for raw Max activation to get access to EX moves, you will instantly become more dangerous this way since you'll be running around with access to powered up moves (which tends to make opponents play more cautiously and turtle).
Thanks!
I play ranked because there are only a few rooms for unranked and most players are high level and well, i feel out of place , like no one will want to play with me because will be boring.. but i will try

I don't care about my stats, i play for fun, so if i lose matches on Ranked , i don't mind as long i am not destroyed and can present a little resistence (that said it would be nice to get a few trophies before i cannot find anyone online, i just managed to earn the 50 victories one, but it will be tough to get 10 in a row or to get to 100)

I am currently using Kim, Ryo and Andy (i am old school player, and stick to old characters i know, since i haven't been playing very much since KOF 98 -in fact i am more of a fatalfury/RB/AOF guy- than a KOF player.)
I can do specials and supers, but this canceling thing is what i suck at. I guess it needs practice but i have not much time.
And i usually ignore the meter, i only use it to 'escape' (CD if not mistaken) sometimes and to do some supers (Haoh Shoukou Ken... ), but that's it. Sometimes it happens that i do a cancel (or supercancel, i do not know) when doing a combo, but it is mostly an accident :p

btw, i bought KOF XIII on steam, already had on ps3, but haven't played very much, while it still looks nice, i thing KOF XIV is a step in the right direction despite not being a looker. Especially after last update that improved characters.

BadWolf

Brazilian Tier List.

Chang is high tier.

I am currently using Kim, Ryo and Andy (i am old school player, and stick to old characters i know, since i haven't been playing very much since KOF 98 -in fact i am more of a fatalfury/RB/AOF guy- than a KOF player.)
I can do specials and supers, but this canceling thing is what i suck at. I guess it needs practice but i have not much time.
And i usually ignore the meter, i only use it to 'escape' (CD if not mistaken) sometimes and to do some supers (Haoh Shoukou Ken... ), but that's it. Sometimes it happens that i do a cancel (or supercancel, i do not know) when doing a combo, but it is mostly an accident :p

If you can do specials and supers then you're good to go. XIV allows you to combo in many ways so you can pick what's comfortable for you. You can completely ignore max mode combos if you like and still do really good damage.

Super cancels are just canceling a special move into super. In XIV there is no extra meter cost to super canceling. It costs 1 meter total to cancel a special move into a regular super move. Special moves can be super canceled into regular supers, EX supers and Climax supers.

Advanced cancels are canceling a regular super move into an EX (level 2) super move. This costs 3 meters in total.

Climax cancels are canceling a regular or EX super move into a Climax super move. Costs 4 and 5 meters respectively.

The important thing to keep in mind about canceling is the game's input buffer (aka the hold button trick). Basically if you do a special move or a super move and hold the attack button down after doing it then the game keeps it in memory for a short while and will do the move the first chance it gets. This way you don't have to be precise with your input but can actually do it quite a bit earlier than required and still get your special move, super etc. to come out. This is a huge help in combos and super cancels and makes timing overall very lenient.

All three of your characters have easy super cancel combos that will do great damage and can be buffered by carrying motions over.

For example with Ryo:
- standing (or crouching) HP, QCF+LP, ranbu or fireball super

This is a basic but very useful combo (my most used with him). You hit confirm off of HP and the fireball and then just complete the motion to get either super. For the ranbu super just do QCB+P after the fireball (since you already did the QCF+P when doing the fireball and don't need to repeat that motion) and for the fireball super do HCF+P (since you already hit forward when doing the fireball).

What you are doing is dividing the motions between the special and the supers, which means you don't need to do the entire motion for the super. So your motion for the combo will look like this:

- standing (or crouching) HP, QCF+LP (fireball), QCB+P (to super cancel into the ranbu super)

The above combo will do over 30% damage with regular super and about 45% if you use an EX super.

To turn that into an Advanced cancel combo just cancel the regular super into an EX super. Doing the combo with a regular fireball super and canceling it into an EX ranbu super (just do the regular fireball super and then immediately do the EX ranbu and hold both punches). This will give you about 65% damage. You can utilize Climax cancels the same way in the combo.

The same applies to Andy and Kim. With Kim do standing HP or HK into QCB+HK and then do a super of your choice. For Andy do standing HP (add his forward+LP command normal if you like) into his elbow move into the fireball super (so for the elbow move do HCF+HP and then just to QCB+P do get the super cancel, since his elbow and super motions overlap).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubm1YW23e8w

I had no idea Ramon could pull half of those.

EDIT: Zarina mod for SFV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcPnpyxbNeg

Great Ramon tech, so many of the characters are still unexplored.

And the mods are really showing that SNK did a good job with the character models, it's just that their engine is lacking in the lighting, shader etc. department. These same models will look so much better in XV when their engine improves.

tzare

Brazilian Tier List.

Chang is high tier.

If you can do specials and supers then you're good to go. XIV allows you to combo in many ways so you can pick what's comfortable for you. You can completely ignore max mode combos if you like and still do really good damage.

Super cancels are just canceling a special move into super. In XIV there is no extra meter cost to super canceling. It costs 1 meter total to cancel a special move into a regular super move. Special moves can be super canceled into regular supers, EX supers and Climax supers.

Advanced cancels are canceling a regular super move into an EX (level 2) super move. This costs 3 meters in total.

Climax cancels are canceling a regular or EX super move into a Climax super move. Costs 4 and 5 meters respectively.

The important thing to keep in mind about canceling is the game's input buffer (aka the hold button trick). Basically if you do a special move or a super move and hold the attack button down after doing it then the game keeps it in memory for a short while and will do the move the first chance it gets. This way you don't have to be precise with your input but can actually do it quite a bit earlier than required and still get your special move, super etc. to come out. This is a huge help in combos and super cancels and makes timing overall very lenient.

All three of your characters have easy super cancel combos that will do great damage and can be buffered by carrying motions over.

For example with Ryo:
- standing (or crouching) HP, QCF+LP, ranbu or fireball super

This is a basic but very useful combo (my most used with him). You hit confirm off of HP and the fireball and then just complete the motion to get either super. For the ranbu super just do QCB+P after the fireball (since you already did the QCF+P when doing the fireball and don't need to repeat that motion) and for the fireball super do HCF+P (since you already hit forward when doing the fireball).

What you are doing is dividing the motions between the special and the supers, which means you don't need to do the entire motion for the super. So your motion for the combo will look like this:

- standing (or crouching) HP, QCF+LP (fireball), QCB+P (to super cancel into the ranbu super)

The above combo will do over 30% damage with regular super and about 45% if you use an EX super.

To turn that into an Advanced cancel combo just cancel the regular super into an EX super. Doing the combo with a regular fireball super and canceling it into an EX ranbu super (just do the regular fireball super and then immediately do the EX ranbu and hold both punches). This will give you about 65% damage. You can utilize Climax cancels the same way in the combo.

The same applies to Andy and Kim. With Kim do standing HP or HK into QCB+HK and then do a super of your choice. For Andy do standing HP (add his forward+LP command normal if you like) into his elbow move into the fireball super (so for the elbow move do HCF+HP and then just to QCB+P do get the super cancel, since his elbow and super motions overlap).
Thanks a lot for the info, will try this weekend , i guess once i manage to pull off a few advanced combos & supercancels it will be easier for me and will be more competitive.

Right now the problem is that I can have a 'balanced' combat many times, but once they land a supercombo then i am absolutely behind and have to be agressive to recover teh advantage lost, and that means an open defense and .... well :(

For example, I do hate Kula's combos a lot, seem super easy to do even the basic ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gecuaCNEn-c
the first one, starts about 0:17,is almost 1/3 of the life bar

BadWolf

Thanks a lot for the info, will try this weekend , i guess once i manage to pull off a few advanced combos & supercancels it will be easier for me and will be more competitive.

Right now the problem is that I can have a 'balanced' combat many times, but once they land a supercombo then i am absolutely behind and have to be agressive to recover teh advantage lost, and that means an open defense and .... well :(

For example, I do hate Kula's combos a lot, seem super easy to do even the basic ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gecuaCNEn-c
the first one, starts about 0:17,is almost 1/3 of the life bar

Np, and yeah you'll get used to it in no time.

Make sure to take advantage of the various anti-air etc. situations as well to burn meter.

Kim can super cancel his heavy Hienzan (the up kicks) even at the 3rd hit so you have a long time to hit confirm. Basically you can turn any anti-air into some great damage with him. He can actually string 3 or more supers starting from those up kicks if he wants lol. Oh and also make use of his far standing HK (the double kick), it's an easy hit confirm and you can cancel the second hit into any super.

The same goes for Andy, he can do his Climax super in the air so you can turn any of his DPs (even at their apex) into the Climax super for excellent damage.

As for Kula, agreed. She is a total bzzztch and shouldn't be doing the kind of damage she is doing, especially when it comes to meterless and 1 bar. She also has an unfair advantage in that most of the rest of the cast lost their far cancellable normals (and a lot of them even whiff on crouchers now) when coming from XIII to XIV but she retained it both for far HP and far LK. These allow her to get a ton of damage that she otherwise wouldn't have access to or need max mode for take advantage of (like most of the rest of the cast does). I'm still hoping they remove these from her, would instantly make her a lot less of a problem and put her in line with the rest.

BTW if you are having trouble with her lay spin (the spin kick that Kula players love to spam) there is gap in between the spin kick and the follow ups so you can stick a quick command grab or something with invincibility in between the kick and the follow ups to punish her. Kim's HK Hienzan owns this.

They need to share WHY they think that, because I sure as hell want to hear why.

Ditto, iirc they put that list together live on stream so may have given their reasoning for each character there but I didn't see it posted anywhere.

tzare

Thxs again for the tips!
Maybe it will be easier with kim. I must say that i usually have not much time so play with the gamepad, instead of my fighting stick, i think that will help me a bit, since i have problems sometimes pressing two buttons at the time on the game pad, too use ex moves and climax moves.

Btw i have been playing a bit yesterday and felt more competitive, but i found a brazilian (i think he was, from his PSN ID)player that really destroyed me with Nakoruru. Awesome player. I barely touched him with my 3 fighters.

DEATH™

I just have the game on PC and the latest update on the beta makes it crash everytime soon before a match starts. Is this a common issue or its just me?

tzare

any solution to the random disconnects that sometimes last for more 10 minutes ? screen gets 'frozen' and nothing happens. If you quit your disconnection ratio goes up, only option so far is to 'wait' until the game says considers the match is a fail and a screen with a message appears.

Slowly approaching the 100 win on ranked trophy . Not to bad for my limited skills and mostly playing higher ranked players.

BadWolf

Man, I wasn't really expecting it but still kinda hoped SNK would announce something at E3.

Maybe at TGS and then more info at PSX ala KoFXIV? It will have been a year or more by TGS since XIV released.

There is also Evo but I guess some kind of DLC is more likely to be an announcement there than a new game.

At least a confirmation of them having started work on their next console game would be nice. All I've heard recently is that Neo_G is really pumped to start working on a new game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, "News from SNK" is always at the top of my "Desired surprises at E3!" list.

If anything, I just wish they'd find SOME way to keep themselves relevant in big events. Like if they had one of the 2 upcoming guest in Tekken 7, push a first screenshot at E3. Or give a message to fans of some sort at the Sony presser.

Ahh well. Eventually, there has to be something.

BadWolf

KOF XIV Steam Edition Released & KOF:Destiny will be coming.

Destiny will start airing August 3rd.

24 episodes. Japanese voices and English subs (voice actors are from the game).

One of the Antonov animations from XIV was put to interesting use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpzwwErua7Y

lol, fits quite well.

SNK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCYuLIIXgAE2cak.jpg:large

I need that Ryo costume.

Damn that Ryo looks so good.

Why the fug do they keep going with the damn AOF design.

Loona

SNK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DCYuLIIXgAE2cak.jpg:large

I need that Ryo costume.

It's about damn time - I don't even mind them going with the darker pants compared to the Wild Ambition original, works as a dual nod to Buriki One too, peak veteran Ryo, especially with that beard.

Top Bottom