• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

dkeane

Is there a move list out there that's printable and compact?
I hate having to bring up the pause > move list all the time

Does anyone knows how to set the stage messages?
Before release, i saw some screenshots with custom messages on the Esaka stage.
In online mode there is an option to select 3 stages for your preference. In that same menu is a text box that u can change for the scrolling text

That's important.

Assuming you are being sarcastic - it's very important. Many people play more than one fighting game, and get pretty hesitant about jumping in a new one. KOF doesn't feel as intimidating as the previous game, so it's not too difficult to play at a base level.

In fact, LI Joe did pretty well in last weekend's KOF tourney. He's been a KOF fan for the longest, but still.

where you at?

Chicago. AFAIK, nobody really cares about VF. Maybe in the outskirts and suburbs? I dunno.

Assuming you are being sarcastic - it's very important. Many people play more than one fighting game, and get pretty hesitant about jumping in a new one. KOF doesn't feel as intimidating as the previous game, so it's not too difficult to play at a base level.

In fact, LI Joe did pretty well in last weekend's KOF tourney. He's been a KOF fan for the longest, but still.

No sarcasm. Your reasoning is spot on. I will be flipping back and forth.

BadWolf

Despite the differences in speed and mechanics, overall KOF and SF are probably the closest in feel compared to other current fighters. They are both the most 'classic' feeling fighters.

Gah, I cannot decide if I want to get the "Burn to Fight" Edition or not!!!
I could go pick up the steelbook right now and it would be $51.35. If I order BtF Edition, it would be $63.99, but I'd have to wait a couple of days... and then I'm going out of town for a few days, so I wouldn't get to play it until Monday.

So, I could get the soundtrack and artbook for just $12 more, but I'd have to wait longer.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

One of the things I personally love about KoF in general is that the moveset design also gets this. Yes, yes, people complain about SNK motions, but they generally follow a close-enough pattern that you can jump onto a character and get the nitty gritty of what they do just by playing a few rounds.

I've always been a person that not only likes playing multiple fighters, but also basically all of the cast of each fighter. When the rules of gameplay are well written, it's fun to shift around and enjoy everyone. But when they're an utter Mortal Kombat where very little consistency in design and motion between characters, it makes things a chore, and forces a mentality of maining a character not because you like them, but because playing the others requires more work than fun.

This is also why I like the more modern MAX mode systems than the older ones. The rules for each character were so specific in the 2K2 "series", and cancelling into them felt very loose and imprecise. It felt less like, say, a buff for the character I wanted to play, and more like a tool for a few top characters.

This KoF, so far, strikes a good balance on all this stuff.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Chicago. AFAIK, nobody really cares about VF. Maybe in the outskirts and suburbs? I dunno.

incidentally i've been planning a trip to chicago and tried to gauge interest from the vf guys there for a meetup. I think there's a Round1 in chicago that has VF5FS cabs, there's a few VF vets in the city but since they just play VF I'm sure they don't make it out to fight nights or whatever. Have to light up the bat signal.

BadWolf

Gah, I cannot decide if I want to get the "Burn to Fight" Edition or not!!!
I could go pick up the steelbook right now and it would be $51.35. If I order BtF Edition, it would be $63.99, but I'd have to wait a couple of days... and then I'm going out of town for a few days, so I wouldn't get to play it until Monday.

So, I could get the soundtrack and artbook for just $12 more, but I'd have to wait longer.

For $12 more the choice is pretty obvious.

Get the LE and send me the art book.

But seriously, you'll regret not getting it.

arimanius

I got it up and running, it looks nice. It's like neon blue with the words King of Fighters and some random girl characters. I like.

Here's a tiny sample from SNK's Korean Website:
dlc_kr.jpg

Basically all the female character's Chara-Select screen art, done in that same style. Triangular Sakura-blossoms-like things breeze by on the screen before it switches to another best girl.

The music is nice and chill, probably something remixed for a team ending or something?

Awesome thanks for the details. Sounds like a nice theme.

No sarcasm. Your reasoning is spot on. I will be flipping back and forth.

My bad. I'm all about people playing as many fighters as they can.

Despite the differences in speed and mechanics, overall KOF and SF are probably the closest in feel compared to other current fighters. They are both the most 'classic' feeling fighters.

Yeah, it feels like both games are going back to basics. As far as I can tell with KOF, anyway.

One of the things I personally love about KoF in general is that the moveset design also gets this. Yes, yes, people complain about SNK motions, but they generally follow a close-enough pattern that you can jump onto a character and get the nitty gritty of what they do just by playing a few rounds.

I've always been a person that not only likes playing multiple fighters, but also basically all of the cast of each fighter. When the rules of gameplay are well written, it's fun to shift around and enjoy everyone. But when they're an utter Mortal Kombat where very little consistency in design and motion between characters, it makes things a chore, and forces a mentality of maining a character not because you like them, but because playing the others requires more work than fun.

This is also why I like the more modern MAX mode systems than the older ones. The rules for each character were so specific in the 2K2 "series", and cancelling into them felt very loose and imprecise. It felt less like, say, a buff for the character I wanted to play, and more like a tool for a few top characters.

This KoF, so far, strikes a good balance on all this stuff.

I take back what I said about the KOF motions. They aren't too bad after some practice, and make sense within the context of the game. It also helps to contextual when you should be doing the move, too.

incidentally i've been planning a trip to chicago and tried to gauge interest from the vf guys there for a meetup. I think there's a Round1 in chicago that has VF5FS cabs, there's a few VF vets in the city but since they just play VF I'm sure they don't make it out to fight nights or whatever. Have to light up the bat signal.

Round 1 is kinda outside of Chicago, and the city's problem is that things that are labeled "Chicago" are like an hour outside of the inner city parts, which is where I live.

The FG scene is growing, so hopefully older games and KOF can thrive.

sibarraz

Banned
I found funny that almost all the neomaxes have the same motion.

Also, garbage ost my ass, I'm listening to the soundtrack of the game is awesome, the ending themes are very good, and the fateful theme too.

Official Invitation and South America are my favorite tracks

For $12 more the choice is pretty obvious.

Get the LE and send me the art book.

But seriously, you'll regret not getting it.

Best Buy could make my decision a lot easier if they would just stock the BtF edition around here! There aren't even any Gamestops around that have it to tempt me to go get it at the full $80 price.

PSqueak

Banned
Is that broken spanish from the OP title supposed to be a joke?

Technically speaking, it's sound because "Rey de Dinosaurios"(King of dinosaurs, no "The" even in english) is the character's name (ie, it's a personal noun), sounds weird and broken, but technically sound, the way to write it to feel right would be "Viva el Rey de los Dinosaurios" (Long live the King of Dinosaurs), but that would mean "King of Dinosaurs" is a title, as opposed to his stage name.

TL;DR: It sounds off and nobody talks like that, but it's technically correct.

In any case, broken spanish or any language is a staple of SNK

ldcommando

Banned
anyone knows how the legacy arcade stick support will work? It´s a option in game? This is my first fighting game on ps4, so I have no idea how you set that up

PSqueak

Banned
Can someone spoil the story for me? I am getting burnt out over here.

Somehow i feel this is my duty!

There is no explanation right off the bat as to why Verse showed up, but Tung believes it has to do with something about there having to be a complementary and opposing power to Shunei, meaning that since Shunei still has his power there is more to come, as many other charatcers believe Verse is not "really done".

Team K' and the Ikari warriors analyzed the whole Verse incident and there is evidence that as a result many dead people from previous KoF tournaments are going to come back, this is evidenced by Kyo's and Iori's ending (one leads into the other) in which the Three Sacred Treasures team up to destroy Orchi who is coming back from one of Verse's fragments but it's not fully formed. Meanwhile Kukri meets with Elisabeth as they find Ash in another of Verse's fragments.

Finally, as Nelson goes back home he visits the scientists who gave him his cybernetics, as he leaves the scientists muse that their experiment is successful (they even set up the accident where he lost his arm) and they'll move into making more enhanced cybernetic subjects.

Also of importance: King of Dinosaurs muses about life, stage gimmicks, diet and his wonderful muscles.

Story here is only a set up and an excuse to
bring back dead and time paradox'd people
really. I'm perfectly fine with the latter personally.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
One thing I have not been able to get with King Of Dinosaurs is his Ankylo Hammer Brake. Are you supposed to hit both LK and HK or just LK or HK? Neither has worked for me.

TreIII

Yep.

Everything about XIV itself is already practically making more crossovers happen, thanks Nakoruru and crew's appearance. Setting up for XV to just be a full-blown Dream Match (but actually canon!) just makes all the more sense.

Of course, the added benefit is that next game will likely FINALLY bring back
FUCKIN' RUGAL

Silent_Z

anyone knows how the legacy arcade stick support will work? It´s a option in game? This is my first fighting game on ps4, so I have no idea how you set that up

It's been confirmed by players that it's Skullgirls/GGXrd-R style, which is to say plug and play. Driver is licensed from Lab Zero(Skullgirls dev). PS4 controller only needed to start the game from your PS4's home screen.

PSqueak

Banned
Yep.

Everything about XIV itself is already practically making more crossovers happen, thanks Nakoruru and crew's appearance. Setting up for XV to just be a full-blown Dream Match (but actually canon!) just makes all the more sense.

Of course, the added benefit is that next game will likely FINALLY bring back
FUCKIN' RUGAL

I hope this means for the next game
Antonov will have his own team since he no longer is the champion and he's actually a good guy!

10 more minutes! Gonna get a quick half hour in before work, then probably pull an all-nighter. Looking forward to dabbling with all the new characters.

Somehow i feel this is my duty!

There is no explanation right off the bat as to why Verse showed up, but Tung believes it has to do with something about there having to be a complementary and opposing power to Shunei, meaning that since Shunei still has his power there is more to come, as many other charatcers believe Verse is not "really done".

Team K' and the Ikari warriors analyzed the whole Verse incident and there is evidence that as a result many dead people from previous KoF tournaments are going to come back, this is evidenced by Kyo's and Iori's ending (one leads into the other) in which the Three Sacred Treasures team up to destroy Orchi who is coming back from one of Verse's fragments but it's not fully formed. Meanwhile Kukri meets with Elisabeth as they find Ash in another of Verse's fragments.

Finally, as Nelson goes back home he visits the scientists who gave him his cybernetics, as he leaves the scientists muse that their experiment is successful (they even set up the accident where he lost his arm) and they'll move into making more enhanced cybernetic subjects.

Also of importance: King of Dinosaurs muses about life, stage gimmicks, diet and his wonderful muscles.

Pretty funny considering how much time they spent on
Ash in the last arc

Who else died though? I can only remember Ash, Rugal, and the Orochi crew.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Leona's father and village, by her hand... Chizuru's sister. Unnamed knights of Orochi, possibly Tung before arc is over... Mukai was also killed by Shion.

PSqueak

Banned

Foxy died in KoF 2001, K9999 "was thought gone" (basically the words used on the K' team ending), so they'll likely either redesign him or canonize his nameless replacement, also Diana has been nowhere to be found for some time, you'd think Kula would be in contact with her mom.

Foxy died in KoF 2001, K9999 "was thought gone" (basically the words used on the K' team ending), so they'll likely either redesign him or canonize his nameless replacement, also Diana has been nowhere to be found for some time, you'd think Kula would be in contact with her mom.

Both Foxy and Diana were in XIII

Vyse24

I hope this means for the next game
Antonov will have his own team since he no longer is the champion and he's actually a good guy!

I can see
Antonov teaming with Sylvie and Mian while Kukri teams with Elisabeth and Ash

Top Bottom