• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Anbec7

I'm new to the series myself too, but from what I've gathered, the anchor or the third member in your team should be someone who can more easily convert meter into big damage since the third character can have upto 5 bars to work with as well as a longer MAX mode duration.

EDIT: I agree with what Badwolf says though, right now just focus on learning the characters.

People often put their best character on anchor, one who they think they can hold the fort with. It's usually good to have a character that is good at dishing out damage and using meter.

For now just learn the game and characters and have fun, don't worry about team positioning too much. Once you get comfortable with your characters you'll have an easier time deciding how to position them and when to switch things up based on your opponent.

I appreciate the input and yeah I'll try to get the hang of these 2 characters first and then keep experimenting with some others.

Usually in practice I get some combos but on a match it all goes to hell lol

I'm generally breezing through the trials with everyone but how in the world do I do KoD's trial 4 or 5, the one where I have to cancel the first hit of the qcf+hp into the super.

KingBroly

Banned
I saw Max's stream last night and...that's...an interesting...way to handle lag.

And by interesting I mean horrible. Completely unacceptable. The game shouldn't lock itself to 30fps because connections suck (or more likely the netcode sucks).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I guess I missed this from earlier:

So apparently the Party Mode has better netcode than all the other modes? Weird.

I guess I missed this from earlier:

So apparently the Party Mode has better netcode than all the other modes? Weird.

I've seen the same thing said and decided to try it out today. Seems like its true as the matches I've played had no stuttering or slow down. Just little input lag.
At this point, I'm convinced the netcode is more bugged than outright bad as I've had some really good matches.

Hyun Sai

I saw Max's stream last night and...that's...an interesting...way to handle lag.

And by interesting I mean horrible. Completely unacceptable. The game shouldn't lock itself to 30fps because connections suck (or more likely the netcode sucks).

https://www.twitch.tv/frionel26/v/85348781

You should watch this stream instead (flawless connection between Morocco and Belgium / Scotland ) to see that's it's likely a glitch, nothing a debug patch can't resolve.

『Inaba Resident』;214854444 said:
I've seen the same thing said and decided to try it out today. Seems like its true as the matches I've played had no stuttering or slow down. Just little input lag.
At this point, I'm convinced the netcode is more bugged than outright bad as I've had some really good matches.

Thanks for your input, one more day for me to try this heeh.

kunonabi

What are everyones teams looking like so far? I still haven't made up my mind on who I want to stick with yet. I'll probably need a couple more days of messing with characters but I'm really liking Geese and will probably shoehorn him in no matter what.

Haven't had a ton of time to try things out but:

Leona
Andy
Daimon

This is pretty much my KOF team. Leona and Andy seem to be getting some positive buzz but I haven't heard much on Daimon yet. I like what I've seen out of Daimon in training mode but I need to actually put match time in with his pokes, etc. and see if his OTG stuff is actually useful.

Ramon
Angel
Clark

These are pretty much are the 3 characters that I find the absolute most fun to play from my 2k2 days Ramon and Angel don't really fit my playstyle but I think it's important to branch out and try to get more comfortable with different approaches.

I'm also thinking of a Geese/Love Heart/Meitenkun team but I also dabble with Chin and Mature so that may change a bit.

Team construction in terms of batteries and anchors may end up switching all that around but for now that's what I'm looking at.

qcf x2

What are everyones teams looking like so far? I still haven't made up my mind on who I want to stick with yet. I'll probably need a couple more days of messing with characters but I'm really liking Geese and will probably shoehorn him in no matter what.

Believe it or not, I'm not gonna roll with Zarina to start, my team for now is (drumroll)

Xanadu
Angel
MuiMui

Eventually I'm gonna switch to Mian and Zarinha but right now they're a bit too advanced for me.

One of the 3 characters that I thought I'd like isn't as fun as I thought (Meitenkun) so I'm trying to decide who else to pick.

Currently I have King and Luong as a lock. Thinking about picking up either Chang or Geese.

Hyun Sai

I don't think a glitch would happen several times over the course of a few hours. He had some good matches and some bad ones like I described.

All the bad matches were 4 bars, all the good were 3 bars as they tested and confirmed against the same opponent. It was consistent, so it's not the netcode the problem.

And as people said, the party mode is consistently great, so it's sure it's a glitch now.

TreIII

Really loving my time with the game, but not really happy with any my available control/stick methods, thus far.

May be time to finally invest in that Hitbox~!

BadWolf

Yeah it it feels like the netplay might be salvageable instead of being a complete disaster that can't be fixed. Like there are some bugs or something in there that are causing inconsistencies across modes etc.

Hopefully they will act quick with the patches.

Why do I have such a hard time using sticks in KOF for hops and jumps but can manage to pull them off pretty well with a controller?

Anyone else have trouble with movement in KOF on a joystick?

BadWolf

Why do I have such a hard time using sticks in KOF for hops and jumps but can manage to pull them off pretty well with a controller?

Probably because it's easier to have a lighter touch with just your thumb.

Do the hop on stick by doing a reverse super jump (quickly tap an upwards direction and then immediately hold down). This will force you to naturally not hold up for too long.

galvatron

Riding the gate on the stick, maybe? Listen for the click to know when your jump as registered instead of waiting until your stick can't move any more in that direction to let go.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
『Inaba Resident』;214854444 said:

I was trying it after reading about it and still felt like ass to me.

:-|

Welp.

Coda

Believe it or not, I'm not gonna roll with Zarina to start, my team for now is (drumroll)

Xanadu
Angel
MuiMui

Eventually I'm gonna switch to Mian and Zarinha but right now they're a bit too advanced for me.

Nice! I wanted to play Zarina as well but she seems hard to utilize as a beginner. Started playing MuiMui last night and I like her rekka style a lot.

Ferrio

Banned
How's the PS3 stick support? I was using my PS4 stick last night, but I hate the damn thing and would rather use my QRAF4.

Poongko's stream is excellent, definitely recommend people on the fence to give it a watch. My copy's coming Friday, can't wait to sink my teeth into this game.

Hyun Sai

Poongko's stream is excellent, definitely recommend people on the fence to give it a watch. My copy's coming Friday, can't wait to sink my teeth into this game.

He is doing party mode with Verna, Madkof and cie it seems.

Can you do this mode with less than 6 players, with one player controlling several characters of one team ?

Astarte

How does the legacy support system work? I can't seem to do anything even when I press on the Legacy Device option in the menu

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I only have 3 team endings to get before goin ham on Training mode.
Get hype!

How does the legacy support system work? I can't seem to do anything even when I press on the Legacy Device option in the menu
Connect your stick, go to options and you should see a legacy controller option, check it and it should work right away.
Works wonders with my Qanba Q4

stn

Anyone know KOF14 frame data well? What's the most negative a move can be and yet still be safe? Thanks.

Anyone know KOF14 frame data well? What's the most negative a move can be and yet still be safe? Thanks.

Regular throws start-up is 1 frame. It seems the fastest command grabs in the game are 2f this time (at least for KoD pre-patch). Fastest normals found so far are 3 frames. Gotta know your ranges, and not just numbers.

kunonabi

So to make sure I'm not crazy, You can cancel EX moves into supers correct? I'm trying to do it with Daimon but it just isn't working.

Xevren

Well technically Daimon is a bit special since he can do ex roll and can cancel that into your grab super. No idea if anyone else has something like that.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Zarina is probably my fave Capo fighter ever, an excellent successor to Bob. Her animation is so good and I like how they thought outside of the usual 2.5D box with it (look at her neutral hop animation). Her moves flow really well together and she has great hit confirms, even from lows.

Like a smart upgrade to a lot of the SFxT experimentation between Elena and Christie, haha. Mentioning her animation, letting her stand in neutral has about 3 different bonus animation; one of her adjusting her shoe, one her headband, and the last doing an extra mini-dance.

I hate fighting my brother's Nelson with her, since his jump arch is a bit faster, and his wealth of normals seem to beat her kinda soundly? She's got better anti-air checks, but his heavy jump makes mincemeat of her normal anti-air options. Which is a shame, as I love using Cr.C's AA float starter.

Her ground CD is SO FAST though. And I love how once you land her normals combos, you can cancel into basically any strength of her specials, and have them work. Flower Power uppercut isn't as overflowered an AA as I'd expect, though.

Ryo is a snore, they took away what made him fun in XIII and didn’t give him anything in return.

I feel cr.C into low Parry into another Cr.C or D is a great way for him to aggressively push for guard crushes. And ZanRetsuKen once again gives free float in the C version, which of course no one will use, since it's an easy command screw-up with Haoshoukoken. I'm not a usual Ryo player, but I had a lot of fun just playing him as a bulldog. He and Yuri's Kou'hou ken's do feel a bit sluggish to start up, but they seem to serve OK in combos.

I always regret not giving Yuri more love; she has so many fun tools that I love in a KoF, I should try to play her more in XIV...

She could do that in XIII too, used it all the time. Don’t know if it’s the same in XIV but in XIII it seemed to be upper body invincible on the 1st frame, or somewhere close to that. So if King did a normal into a light fireball (a non-true block string) then you could blow it up with this super, she would go right under the fireball.

Made some vids testing her projectile Invuln:
High Projectile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK16wirj2LQ
Low Projectile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tNbprQ5ak

Slash Saber is a pretty decent anti-projectile option from mid range. Max range and they'd probably recover too soon. No upper strike invincibility sadly, tried it against Robert's Stand CD a few times too.

Relique

What's the timing to Climax Cancel Vice's super supposed to be? I'm inputting the double HCF+PP at the same time as her trial 5 demo but the move just refuses to come out.

You always input in the direction of the opponent so you gotta do the motion backwards. The super must be done when the dummy leaves her feet in the air.

Ok good news it appears the online modes itself are bugged and not the actual netcode so this is promosing because this means the online is fixable.

Basically at the moment the online modes have sync issues except for party mode for some reason so on the glitch modes it will look like you are playing underwater.

Here is a work around which i have tested with a friend who was lagging prior to testing this. Basically you need to enter someone else room they must be on a 5 bar connection and play within that room it is the only way to play online lagless. Watch the video below for more detail explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAnmYJ1CFo

So for the time being we cant play private matches lagless until this works you will have to use this workaround to have a good online experience.

qcf x2

Nice! I wanted to play Zarina as well but she seems hard to utilize as a beginner. Started playing MuiMui last night and I like her rekka style a lot.

Yeah, Zarina is gorgeous and fun to use but there's a lot to process with her. Mui's rhythm is so visually engaging. It's like she's dancing when she does her rekkas. Plus she does the NiGHTS loops in the air, kamehamehas and dragon summons! She's fun. Tung Fu is also lots of fun and does good damage.

Yuri has dive kicks so she's evil.

Ok good news it appears the online modes itself are bugged and not the actual netcode so this is promosing because this means the online is fixable.

Basically at the moment the online modes have sync issues except for party mode for some reason so on the glitch modes it will look like you are playing underwater.

Here is a work around which i have tested with a friend who was lagging prior to testing this. Basically you need to enter someone else room they must be on a 5 bar connection and play within that room it is the only way to play online lagless. Watch the video below for more detail explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAnmYJ1CFo

So for the time being we cant play private matches lagless until this works you will have to use this workaround to have a good online experience.

I'll have to try this. Looking forward to SNK patching this issue out for sure though. I only played 2 matches (private, same person) and they were underwater. Granted the person is on the other side of the country and we never really had buttery matches in SFV (much less 4) but still.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to get that stupid chat box overlay off the screen during the match.

Slaythe

I mean, I don't see how in hell the game shipped with that underwater bug.

In what universe is this acceptable, how did it pass QA ?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I mean, I don't see how in hell the game shipped with that underwater bug.

In what universe is this acceptable, how did it pass QA ?

I'd lay odds on it being due to SNK being understaffed, and having a poor track record with internet protocols for netplay.

I've seen worse bugs in online play at launch from bigger and more experienced developers.

Top Bottom