• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

Edzi

Ok good news it appears the online modes itself are bugged and not the actual netcode so this is promosing because this means the online is fixable.

Basically at the moment the online modes have sync issues except for party mode for some reason so on the glitch modes it will look like you are playing underwater.

Here is a work around which i have tested with a friend who was lagging prior to testing this. Basically you need to enter someone else room they must be on a 5 bar connection and play within that room it is the only way to play online lagless. Watch the video below for more detail explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubAnmYJ1CFo

So for the time being we cant play private matches lagless until this works you will have to use this workaround to have a good online experience.

This gives me some hope that it'll actually be fixed.

Yeah, Zarina is gorgeous and fun to use but there's a lot to process with her. Mui's rhythm is so visually engaging. It's like she's dancing when she does her rekkas. Plus she does the NiGHTS loops in the air, kamehamehas and dragon summons! She's fun. Tung Fu is also lots of fun and does good damage.

Yuri has dive kicks so she's evil.

I'll have to try this. Looking forward to SNK patching this issue out for sure though. I only played 2 matches (private, same person) and they were underwater. Granted the person is on the other side of the country and we never really had buttery matches in SFV (much less 4) but still.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to get that stupid chat box overlay off the screen during the match.

Press the options button to open the menu and you can turn it off from there.

Ferrio

Banned
I mean, I don't see how in hell the game shipped with that underwater bug.

In what universe is this acceptable, how did it pass QA ?

They probably did what most Japanese developers did for a long time, test it only in Japan where the country is small and infrastructure is good.

qcf x2

This gives me some hope that it'll actually be fixed.

Press the options button to open the menu and you can turn it off from there.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

But the netcode worked fine when playing Kyoto from Tokyo!

I mean, theoretically, ...if it works it works, right? You could say they didn't test the netcode in Russia or Mexico. :p I don't care much that it's borked now, what matters is what SNK does next, when they do it and how well they communicate.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
One thing I'm having trouble with is timing for rekka-type special move sequences, like Kyo's branching series. After the first quarter circle forward, the following seem very finicky as to when the buffer will start accepting the inputs. It's similar to the seemingly tiny window to cancel specials into supers and supers into climax.

Is there some lore to the KoF command interpreter I should know?

qcf x2

One thing I'm having trouble with is timing for rekka-type special move sequences, like Kyo's branching series. After the first quarter circle forward, the following seem very finicky as to when the buffer will start accepting the inputs. It's similar to the seemingly tiny window to cancel specials into supers and supers into climax.

Is there some lore to the KoF command interpreter I should know?

Only thing I can say is look at the impact. Hit training mode and make sure you're not mashing. Kyo's rekkas are a little slower and more deliberate than you might assume. Think of it as 3 separate moves that go together as opposed to one move with extensions.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Only thing I can say is look at the impact. Hit training mode and make sure you're not mashing. Kyo's rekkas are a little slower and more deliberate than you might assume. Think of it as 3 separate moves that go together as opposed to one move with extensions.

Ok. Coming out of XIII may have screwed up me, as that game had ridiculously fast back to back input requirements.

I was reading through the KOF XIV art book I got in the collector's edition, and apparently one of the concepts for Xanadu was a long-haired Frankenstein's Monster looking guy who wielded bear-traps on chains.

THAT is a character I want to see in a fighting game.

DR2K

Banned
It sounds like the netcode might be decent, but there are some syncing issues. Sounds patchable at least. I want to support SNK. I'll probably buy it within a few weeks. Any good YouTube channels for KoF?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Are there any good video series that go into the lore of KOF like characters and plot and such? Need to brush up on that but reading through the wikis is pretty dull, I need a good personality to watch explain it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So far Joe and King are locks on my team. I need someone to be the opener. Thinking of using Daimon.

King's the kinda character I'd consider using early on. I always liked to use her as such in 2K2UM, and back in the 98 days. Since her fundamentals are her strongest part, she can go far without being a meter hog.

Daimon I've never been an expert at, at all, but I'd think him more a mid or anchor. He seems to have the smart cancels and use of EX's that'd want him to be a bit deeper into the order chain.

I mean, theoretically, ...if it works it works, right? You could say they didn't test the netcode in Russia or Mexico. :p I don't care much that it's borked now, what matters is what SNK does next, when they do it and how well they communicate.

What sticks in my head is that they tried to patch each previous gen KoF netcode at least once. When patches cost more to publish on consoles, and they had less money to work with than they do now. Also, they weren't trying to build themselves up then; every game was a "this might be our last!" situation.

Like you said, what matters most is what they do next. They didn't have any public test for this netcode before release, and they didn't have any games on this gen with code from the same provider. I'll never understand how "netcode" seems to be impossible for companies to get right on the first push; and when they do get it better, they're normally lacking in other features like spectating, lobbies, or default game content.

How are Vice and Mature in this?

Vice is pretty decent for the moves she has now. I still wish she had some form of chip/pressure back (like her old cutting kicks), but being able to MAX cancel anti-air normals into her EX "Sleeve" for conversions if very nice, and they added anywhere juggle to her Overkill Air DM, so you can get it off leaping CD blowbacks in the corner.

I was reading through the KOF XIV art book I got in the collector's edition, and apparently one of the concepts for Xanadu was a long-haired Frankenstein's Monster looking guy who wielded bear-traps on chains.

THAT is a character I want to see in a fighting game.

Yeah, I saw that. I wonder how the traps would have worked, lol. A lot of those alt looks totally need to make it into the game; And I think some characters would look cool with just removing certain jackets and pieces, to make them look unique. I liked that long, curly hair look for Zarina, too...

BadWolf

Like a smart upgrade to a lot of the SFxT experimentation between Elena and Christie, haha. Mentioning her animation, letting her stand in neutral has about 3 different bonus animation; one of her adjusting her shoe, one her headband, and the last doing an extra mini-dance.

I hate fighting my brother's Nelson with her, since his jump arch is a bit faster, and his wealth of normals seem to beat her kinda soundly? She's got better anti-air checks, but his heavy jump makes mincemeat of her normal anti-air options. Which is a shame, as I love using Cr.C's AA float starter.

Her ground CD is SO FAST though. And I love how once you land her normals combos, you can cancel into basically any strength of her specials, and have them work. Flower Power uppercut isn't as overflowered an AA as I'd expect, though.

Yeah, a lot of love went into her animation for sure.

How about her DP as anti-air? Tested the heavy version and it seems to have some invincibility on start up and the EX version seems very invincible and fast. All seem to be fast and reach high so they should be decent if done preemptively as well maybe.

Her cr. C launcher is very interesting. The way it leaves them in a full juggle state and lets her follow up with a special if done on a grounded opponent too. It's not cancelable into specials normally but if you quick max from it the opponent is still in a full juggle state and even allows you to get them with her EX command grab, which just lets her extend combos some more. Even further, the cr. C seems to leave them in a juggle state even if you use the cr. C to juggle someone in the middle of a combo, this basically allows her to get more than one quick max activation in a combo.

Oh and I friggin love her fwd+B.

Made some vids testing her projectile Invuln:
High Projectile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK16wirj2LQ
Low Projectile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44tNbprQ5ak

Slash Saber is a pretty decent anti-projectile option from mid range. Max range and they'd probably recover too soon. No upper strike invincibility sadly, tried it against Robert's Stand CD a few times too.

Thanks for the testing, seems about the same as XIII. Wouldn't expect it to go under against something chunky like Robert's stand CD but might go under normals that tend to miss crouchers.

And good find on the Vice anywhere juggle air DM btw, very cool touch to her arsenal.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tried Party Vs.

And yep...it was much, MUCH better than ranked or the other Vs. modes. Buttery smooth for the most part, with a few hiccups here and there in some fights. It did freeze on me once, however the game started working again after a few seconds.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, a lot of love went into her animation for sure.

How about her DP as anti-air? Tested the heavy version and it seems to have some invincibility on start up and the EX version seems very invincible and fast. All seem to be fast and reach high so they should be decent if done preemptively as well maybe.

I play Leona, if her AA isn't Moon Slasher good, I don't Try it!

... Seriously though, I played with Robert earlier, and that's got me into a mood to try to DP more. Zarina's Weak and Strong ones I like to use for bad high jumps; or for a quick punish to bad footsies. I noticed the EX one is invulnerable and long-moving enough to go through Fireball-capped blockstrings, but of course, that's EX.

Her Far C works similar to the DPs, but with much less risk. And her Stand A seems to be a better counter out of other's blockstrings than Crouch A. Far D is much better than I'd like to think of it, since it ducks uber-high normals, and moves her in close enough for on hit / on guard MAX cancels to be productive.

Her cr. C launcher is very interesting. The way it leaves them in a full juggle state and lets her follow up with a special if done on a grounded opponent too. It's not cancelable into specials normally but if you quick max from it the opponent is still in a full juggle state and even allows you to get them with her EX command grab, which just lets her extend combos some more.

LoL, I didn't think about quick making it. Why? I've even THOUGHT about doing such with Maxima's M9 prototype command normal... but not her? WHHHYYYY, lol. Very good point.

Even further, the cr. C seems to leave them in a juggle state even if you use the cr. C to juggle someone in the middle of a combo, this basically allows her to get more than one quick max activation in a combo.

Oh and I friggin love her fwd+B.
Multi-Quick max is where I Start to wonder if such is intended, lol. Like "prepare to say goodbye to this in Patch 2!" BUT some of that stuff seems a bit in line already (as in "you're still not doing Leona level damage", so Hopefully it's intentional, ha.

I have to remember how many combo paths she has so far. I could put even more normals in before launching them, I really don't do much with Hurricane Dance DM, and I try to use Yellow Explosion more as a reversal than a damage-landing DM too....

Thanks for the testing, seems about the same as XIII. Wouldn't expect it to go under against something chunky like Robert's stand CD but might go under normals that tend to miss crouchers.

And good find on the Vice anywhere juggle air DM btw, very cool touch to her arsenal.

Always my pleasure to mess around with Leona, lol. I've been wondering how invuln it was since her first location test, and the fact she disappears when doing it on whiff. I LOVE her jump arch in this game. It's everything I wish she could do in 2K2UM and XIII, because she feels close to that Kyo / Iori Hop game than ever before.

More Buff stuff for Vice always makes me happy, I hope it makes her feel more well-rounded for others. I need to try it in practical play myself... I always wanted more out of Overkill DM, and being able to get it out or her Splash Special was a great first step, but this makes it feel much more complete.

OmegaDL50

Seems there is a slight bit float time for juggle potential added at the end of Terry's C power charge.

It was much tighter to follow up in KOF 98 / UM. I remember it was almost a hard knockdown.

You can power charge the enemy from mid screen to push them into the corner and you can finish it with C Rising Tackle for an easy 6 hit combo.

I miss the Power Dunk though, but it technically sort of is his Climax I guess.

Ok so Party Battle is a blast but I swear to god it seems like some people intentionally troll their own teammates while playing >_>

Just played a set in which a Choi on my team blew all of our team's meter popping MAX Mode and then just crouch blocking in the corner. Earlier an allied Vice did something similar, except she was intentionally whiffing supers from fullscreen.

Ragequitters in ranked mode, griefers in party battle...

Why can't I just have fun online without worrying about someone trying to ruin my day :/

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

BadWolf

Always my pleasure to mess around with Leona, lol. I've been wondering how invuln it was since her first location test, and the fact she disappears when doing it on whiff. I LOVE her jump arch in this game. It's everything I wish she could do in 2K2UM and XIII, because she feels close to that Kyo / Iori Hop game than ever before.

Really tempted to use her as well, she looks so fun and strong in this one. She fits XIV's mechanics really well and they made little adjustments here and there to give her that extra edge (like being able to combo a Moon Slasher after the HP air dive in a combo mid screen, which you can then super cancel as well).

Also, it looks like much like in XIII she might again be the only character in the entire cast who has absolutely no height restriction on doing instant air moves on the ground. This goes well beyond other characters who don't have height restrictions on instant air specials because she doesn't even need to gain air and can buffer them from the ground, to the point where she can even use the V-Slasher as a reversal after blocking something (she can literally do air moves from the ground). Another example is that you can max bypass into her V-Slasher from a normal, as if it were a ground super. This applies to her other air moves as well.

Tried Party Vs.

And yep...it was much, MUCH better than ranked or the other Vs. modes. Buttery smooth for the most part, with a few hiccups here and there in some fights. It did freeze on me once, however the game started working again after a few seconds.

Thanks for checking, if you found it to be good then it really must be quite a bit better lol.

Nice, one thing I really like about them now is that they are not keeping quite and address or comment on issues really fast.

Xevren

Really happy that they responded at least, here's hoping it gets fixed and plays well. Absolutely love this game and hope to get in some decent matches online.

I think i might actually start going to WNF to play because this generation has disappointed me as far as online in fighters goes. I don't know if snk will be able to turn it around but I hope that they do.

qcf x2

Really happy that they responded at least, here's hoping it gets fixed and plays well. Absolutely love this game and hope to get in some decent matches online.

Seriously, that's like.... all we ask for companies to do when we give them our money. Well, that and to actually get it right lol.

I have no regrets double dipping at all if SNK is gonna be on top of shit.

Found this on Tumblr, just needs to be slowed down with a "U WOT M8" and I can't see it being used often on GAF for quotes.

tumblr_ocfdx5V1fN1usrgjso1_540.gif

Damn I ordered this through AmazonJP but it doesn't look like it will get here today, which is too bad. Usually they are good about launch day delivery.

Hope it at least comes tomorrow before the weekend hit because I had it delivered to the office expecting it to come mid-day....

Anyone started talking about Teams they would like to see added to the game?

I want to see a Team Ninja with these guys at some point!

Really tempted to use her as well, she looks so fun and strong in this one. She fits XIV's mechanics really well and they made little adjustments here and there to give her that extra edge (like being able to combo a Moon Slasher after the HP air dive in a combo mid screen, which you can then super cancel as well).

Also, it looks like much like in XIII she might again be the only character in the entire cast who has absolutely no height restriction on doing instant air moves on the ground. This goes well beyond other characters who don't have height restrictions on instant air specials because she doesn't even need to gain air and can buffer them from the ground, to the point where she can even use the V-Slasher as a reversal after blocking something (she can literally do air moves from the ground). Another example is that you can max bypass into her V-Slasher from a normal, as if it were a ground super. This applies to her other air moves as well.

Her V-slasher lost invincibility unless you use 2 meters so you can't scumbag with that move like in previous games. I think anchor Leona is going to be great. Just pop max mode and throw bakudans and just go in. They can try to run under it since she throws it high, but grand sabre can keep them in check and you should be safe if they block it. Bakudans also put them in a juggle state, so whenever one lands you can always do something, of course unless they get hit by it full screen away from you but that only happens if they screwed up or something. Though bakudans against Choi you have to be careful, since he is a midget it probably will miss him even if he is standing still.

Anyone started talking about Teams they would like to see added to the game?

I want to see a Team Ninja with these guys at some point!

One team I can see them bringing back is the Secret Agent Team from XI. Mary, Vanessa, and Seth to replace Ramon. As for crazy out of place characters? Kizuna Encounter team. Hayate, Kim Su Il, and Rosa. Other than that, I can't think of whole teams I want to see. I really wish that rumor of adding a character of each team panned out. I would love that (aside from some of the weird choices like older Bao for the Psycho Soldier team and "Lee" for Another World team (should be Akari from Last Blade), I think it would've been great.

Honestly I have no idea how they're going to make XV. XIV is already packed as it is. Question for those who've played Story Mode. Without giving too much away (a yes or no will do) do they hint at more time and space shenanigans? Can Verse really pull fighters from other times and worlds like originally speculated here? I mostly want to know if it's worth hoping for another Another World team.

Way behind the rest of you, but my Japanese copy arrived today. Nice surprise to see it has an awesome reversible cover!

03fPljPl.jpg

The art book for Japan is the same size as the disc case, so it's a little small... but it's very high quality and has a nice embossed KOF and SNK logo on the front and back. They really produced a lot of art for this game!

Tizoc

Way behind the rest of you, but my Japanese copy arrived today. Nice surprise to see it has an awesome reversible cover!

03fPljPl.jpg

The art book for Japan is the same size as the disc case, so it's a little small... but it's very high quality and has a nice embossed KOF and SNK logo on the front and back. They really produced a lot of art for this game!

Woah now THAT'S a cover. Shame it isn't in the western releases XO
Mind you I still dislike Hiroaki's artstyle but that art makes a better cover IMO.

Relique

After watching WNF KOF tourney I realized how trash I am at these games. Such top tier play and it's only 3 days after release.

MattXIII

So freakin' strange. The right trigger is completely unresponsive on all my DualShock 4's only when playing this game.

Must be a bug.

Loona

Are there any good video series that go into the lore of KOF like characters and plot and such? Need to brush up on that but reading through the wikis is pretty dull, I need a good personality to watch explain it.

The only ones I've ever seen are in Spanish or Portuguese.

I should probably make something like this one day, although I know little to nothing about making videos...

Top Bottom